• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm not ready yet to post urls or pics, so this post might look a bit vague... Anyhow I'm hacking Ruby and encountered a small problem. I tried changing the intro screen (press start) at first following the tut:

"[Graphics] Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step by Step" from ADLFM14 but my colors didn't show up. So I decided to take an 'easier' tut (without the tile-editing), namely:

"Advanced Ruby title screen editing" from Epsilon.

I followed all the steps in his tut, and used the Tropius palette for my title screen btw. I also changed the palette for the given offset using APE, to the palette I exported using unLZ. In my title screen, I also made sure the color which should be transparent, is replacing the transparent color on the Groudon-default-title screen. Now the problem is, as you might guess, that the title screen shows up with different colors. I'm still doubting if it's the Groudon palette, or the palette it should be, only with colors 'mixed up'. I think it's the last one.

Mods, if this is not allowed please say so, but here's a (indirect) link to my title screen:

img268.imageshackDOTus/img268/7461/titleweird.png

Hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hey guys,

I'm not ready yet to post urls or pics, so this post might look a bit vague... Anyhow I'm hacking Ruby and encountered a small problem. I tried changing the intro screen (press start) at first following the tut:

"[Graphics] Hacking Ruby Title Screen Completely Step by Step" from ADLFM14 but my colors didn't show up. So I decided to take an 'easier' tut (without the tile-editing), namely:

"Advanced Ruby title screen editing" from Epsilon.

I followed all the steps in his tut, and used the Tropius palette for my title screen btw. I also changed the palette for the given offset using APE, to the palette I exported using unLZ. In my title screen, I also made sure the color which should be transparent, is replacing the transparent color on the Groudon-default-title screen. Now the problem is, as you might guess, that the title screen shows up with different colors. I'm still doubting if it's the Groudon palette, or the palette it should be, only with colors 'mixed up'. I think it's the last one.

Mods, if this is not allowed please say so, but here's a (indirect) link to my title screen:

img268.imageshackDOTus/img268/7461/titleweird.png

Hope you guys can help me. Thanks in advance.

Spoiler:

Here is the image for those who are lazy:p.

1) Your tilemap may have had the palettes screwed up when drawing in NTME. Did you play with the palette tab on the bottom?

2) You inserted an UNcompressed palette instead of a compressed one, or vice versa. I ca't remember which it is, but I'm pretty sure it is compressed.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2013
@KarateKid
I didn't edit the tilemap, so I guess that should be fine. Which means the second option you gave should be my problem.

I checked the tropius sprite in unLZ for this rom and noticed it's mixed colors as well :s
At this part, I don't know exactly what's gone wrong, since I basicly followed Epsilon's tut (which is quite incompletely, I think, but okay)

I guess I'll try the whole thing over again! If it won't work out, I'll let you know...

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
How do I change how types work? I want to add a new type. Oh yeah, is it a good idea to replace ??? type?
Koolboyman has posted documentation for changing the type strength/weakness system (for every game up to Gen IV) in Research & Development section I think. You could start off by looking for that thread there.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Does anyone know how to remove the help system from FR without removing the titlescreen?

miksy91

Years
1. Programming running shoes in pokemon gold?
Can be accomplished with a small asm hack that replaces bike with the ability to walk with bike's speed while having B button pressed down.
There is a document in Research and Development section by Koolboyman.

2. Add a new title screen to pokemon gold?
Just like Running Shoes, has to do with doing a little bit of asm editing to locate the title screen elsewhere and such. You'll find tutorials in Skeetendo Inc. (hax.iimarck.us).

That's all about it :)

Years
I've looked for this everywhere and I can't find anything.
I want to create an item similar to BlackGlasses and Charcoal - a hold item that boosts a certain kind of attack.
I'm trying to create an item that boosts the power of punching-based moves, but how would I do that? I've added the item and given it a description and everything, I just haven't figured out how to actually make it do something.

(this is for FireRed)

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Hello fellow pokecommunity'ers :)

I have a question that ive tried to look up and i sadly cant find the answer to, it would be helpful if someone can at least give me possible reasons for what im doing wrong. Im starting a hack just to test my abilities and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently started tile inserting. Im pretty good at it, So far ive added trees, grass, the ground and i tried to add a house to my hack. everything seemed fine until i warped through the door and got this ( see attachment at bottom)

For some reason, the tiles around the door show the door animation and it doesnt go away. Again, any suggestions would be very helpful.

your friend, Besj08

Just open your ROM in amap, go to the block editor and save the tileset where the house is and save it wherever you want.
After this open the tileset in MSpaint or any other image editing program you are using.
Just take the bottom of the houses that are glitched from the place where theyre at in the tileset, and place them somewhere else in the tileset.
Reload it through the block editor in Amap and edit the blocks again.

There you go.

karatekid552

Years
Just open your ROM in amap, go to the block editor and save the tileset where the house is and save it wherever you want.
After this open the tileset in MSpaint or any other image editing program you are using.
Just take the bottom of the houses that are glitched from the place where theyre at in the tileset, and place them somewhere else in the tileset.
Reload it through the block editor in Amap and edit the blocks again.

There you go.

I was more or less trying to make the point that people need to search this thread. With almost 25,000 posts, most questions have already been dealt with.

Years
Also, (all this for pokemon gold)

1. How to edit battle sprites?

2. Add Gen 3 pokemon to gold but not overlapping preexisting pokemon?

3. Edit that screen that say gamefreak.

Last edited:

LaDestitute

Razor Sharp
Years
1. I believe there are some GBC tools that can do this. Search/google.
2. You can't really add more than 256 Pokemon without overwriting existing ones, or repointing tables and such, which is very complicated and hard. Just ask Jambo, he knows, but that's for GBA. What I'm saying with my later statement is that it's so hard to do, that Jambo is the only dude to do it yet, even for GBA.
3. Graphic editing programs, I believe, other than hex editing.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2022
So I'm importing new Pokemon from generations 4 and 5 into Fire Red and I'm wondering how you edit a Pokemon's icon? It doesn't seem to be the same way you edit their battlesprites, so just wondering how to access them for editing.

Thanks!

karatekid552

Years
So I'm importing new Pokemon from generations 4 and 5 into Fire Red and I'm wondering how you edit a Pokemon's icon? It doesn't seem to be the same way you edit their battlesprites, so just wondering how to access them for editing.

Thanks!

Download the "Advance Series" by Wichu. It has a very good icon editor in it. Just FYI, the import button is in the File menu. (Most people can't find it:p)

miksy91

Years
2. You can't really add more than 256 Pokemon without overwriting existing ones, or repointing tables and such, which is very complicated and hard. Just ask Jambo, he knows, but that's for GBA. What I'm saying with my later statement is that it's so hard to do, that Jambo is the only dude to do it yet, even for GBA.
Actually, you can add as much pokemon in a G/S/C game as you like (rom and ram size limits are actually the only restrictions there). But let's say, if you don't need Pokedex in the game, there could be quite a lot.

Koolboyman introduced a general, fully implementable, way of adding another set of 256 pokemon in gsc, without having to replace that much of the original in-game coding. If I had to guess, I'd say that there are +500 pokemon in Prism (his hack), but not more than those (512, or actually, 510 if one (1FE) is reserved for Egg and another (1FF) is "end-of-list" check value).

Jambo is a very good programmer and hacker in general. You're totally right about that and I agree with you. And it's also true that only the most talented rom hackers around (there aren't many of them still around in Pokecommunity, if any besides him) could go for doing an engine hack as significant as his 649-patch. But saying that "it's so hard to do that Jambo is the only dude to do it" is just totally wrong.

If Jambo you're reading this, I wasn't insulting you in any way here, just stating out facts (and same goes for you, LaDestitute, too).
Because actually, you feel like a pretty bright guy to me :)

3. Edit that screen that say gamefreak.
Tile Molester will do (if it has 1BPP mode that is). If not, use Tile Layer Pro.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2017
Perhaps somebody can help me. I'm trying to change the background color of the Pokemon Selection Screen on Ruby version. I found a tutorial telling me how to. I exported the Background Palette from the Palette Viewer in VBA, and tried to import it using Advanced Palette Editor. However, after all the palettes are in, and I click Search, APE says "Palette not found". The palette came directly from the game. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Perhaps somebody can help me. I'm trying to change the background color of the Pokemon Selection Screen on Ruby version. I found a tutorial telling me how to. I exported the Background Palette from the Palette Viewer in VBA, and tried to import it using Advanced Palette Editor. However, after all the palettes are in, and I click Search, APE says "Palette not found". The palette came directly from the game. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Nope, you're not doing anything wrong, the way the palette has been constructed in the ROM is the problem. Palettes 1 and 2 on the party screen share many of the same colours and have been somewhat merged. Naturally this means that the palette has deviated from how its normally supposed to look.

You will need to open your ROM in a Hex Editor and change the palette manually. If you search for the string '6F 00 3A 44 0C 91 0C' you should find an instance at 0xE716BF, this is the beginning of the dark green background's palette. You'll notice that there are numerous random additions that shouldn't be in palette such as the 00 I italicised in that string. This is the result of merging two palettes together and explains why you couldn't find a clean version of the palette in APE. Anyway, just change the values you want there, keeping in mind that VBA reverses the the Hex values as they appear in Hex editors (e.g 0x1234 in VBA's palette viewer becomes '34 12' in an editor).

You can also find the blue Pokemon background 'cards' at 0xE716E7 and partially at 0xE71750 (When you are selecting them or not respectively).

Also, yay 1000 posts~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back