• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 3DS Exclusive - RIP Pokemon?

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
Years
Now, this is a very good point. If you don't have a 3DS already, how many of you are buying the console for this game alone?​

I will definitely be saving up so I can get the 3DS for this game. The only handheld games I really even play are Pokemon. I get so much use out of the console just from these games alone that it's worth the investment to me.

Years
I just heard this breaking news. When Ruby and Sapphire were on the Advance, I waited six months to get my hands on the GBA SP before I finally got to play them. I will no doubt get a 3DS just to get the new games. It's their price that I don't like right now. When my birthday comes in June, I hope the price will drop so I can get it for the new Pokemon games.

Years
Well I think that this game being released will motivate audiences to save up for a 3Ds. And by October, the price will most likely go down a little and more people will buy it, so it's not too much of a problem. I happen to own one currently and it has some pretty good games (too much Mario, but still) I think Pokemon coming to the 3Ds is a welcome edition. Yes, it's been done before with the Gamecube titles and it didn't hold well, but GameFreak's making the games this time, not the other company.

If you don't like the games going to a new system, then stay with what you currently have. We will be enjoying the vastly superior... well... everything, that the newer games have, thanks to the superior hardware in their consoles.

How do you know it will be "vastly" superior? What if it turns out to be a complete and utter failure, giving it the "worst Pokemon title ever." Just because it's on a more powerful console, doesn't mean that the game itself will be better.
I already own a 3Ds, but I'm going to wait and see what others say about it before I buy it.

Last edited:

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
Years
Baffling

I really hate to be that guy, but just what do the people complaining actually play? Is the only game you play Pokemon? Cause I can name 7 good 3DS games right now that could keep you busy till October (maybe even longer). It is just a bad business move to support the DS / keep Pokemon on the DS this year. They need to push the 3DS, as it is their newest handheld. It isn't a handheld running alongside the DS, it is the next evolution of the DS, just like how the GBA was the next evolution of the GB(Color), or the DS the next evolution of the GBA.

Edit - I'd also like to add that supporting the DS at this stage means supporting limited hardware, when there is a superior product out there. By supporting the 3DS now, they are able to move the series forward. The series cannot move forward if it remains on the DS, and I don't know why anyone would prefer that option.

And to answer the question. Nope, it won't kill Pokemon. People will buy this just like how they bought a GBA or DS to play those iterations of the series. Also, if they really wanted to get their money's worth, they should stop being picky and actually see what's out there. There are a lot of games that are accessible.

Last edited:

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
Honestly, before seeing this, I figured that the 3DS was going to be out of the picture in another year or two. However, now that both Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and the 6th Gen are coming out on the system, I'm going to go grumble about it and buy the system seeing as my DS Lite's bottom screen isn't doing so hot. (and never turn on the 3D feature that would destroy my eyes...)

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
The game isn't coming out tomorrow, it's coming out in October. The price of the 3DS will drop into a more affordable range by then.

We transitioned from GB to GBC to GBA to DS just fine, the 3DS will be no different.

Not to mention, the 3DS is so cool guys, you'll be glad you made the purchase.

If you don't like the games going to a new system, then stay with what you currently have. We will be enjoying the vastly superior... well... everything, that the newer games have, thanks to the superior hardware in their consoles.

If the Pokemon are anything like our Gen 5 "friends" I'm not sure superior is the right word. Though I really like the water starter this time, maybe I can go back to picking it after the Samur-nottonyourlifewillIpickyou fiasco.

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
but with the 3DS being the 'newest' console and some people not being able to afford it, do you think it will hurt the amount of people who can actually play the game?

With the amount of little overpriviledged children with iphones and all that, I doubt this is gonna be a problem. With the Wii U jacked up to like 500+ bucks, the cheaper alternative is definitely the 3DS and it's more likely to be picked up.

Wont hurt sales at all. If anything, this will probably boost 3DS sales.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
If the Pokemon are anything like our Gen 5 "friends" I'm not sure superior is the right word. Though I really like the water starter this time, maybe I can go back to picking it after the Samur-nottonyourlifewillIpickyou fiasco.

By superior, I was referring to the better graphics and additional features made possible with the additional hardware. I'll agree that the gen 5 pokemon designs are ****, but face it. They would be even worse if gen 1 or gen 2 graphics were applied to them.

Years
I really think the release of Pokémon X and Y is going to spike 3DS sales.. I hope to get a 3DS or 3DS XL sometime this year before the release of the game(s) so that I can enjoy them.

Also, in my opinion, it was time for Pokémon games to be retired from DS releases.. the DS has been used on the games since 2006 (Japan) and 2007 (elsewhere), and the 3DS has been around for nearly 2 years now.

Years
  • Seen May 14, 2015
No. This happens almost every generation. From the gameboy to the gameboy color to the gameboy advance to the nintendo ds to the nintendo 3ds. it's happened before and each generation has been pretty successful, so i don't see why that would change now.

Years
If the Pokemon franchise doesn't take advantage of the 3DS, their competition will. Other franchises such as Mario for example will have moved on to the 3DS leaving Pokemon in the dust. Even if they wanted to stay, it would only be holding the company back.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I don't even understand how you got to that conclusion.

Nintendofox3d

Watch Pokemon Cyclone Saga!!
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2014
No because it's coming in October, so, that's around the holiday season, so it'll be okay.
Animal Crossing and Pokemon X and Y will boost up 3ds sales ALOT

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
So seeing as we Generally Get 1 Generation Per Handheld Nintendo Console

we Can either Expect the Following

A Successor to the 3DS Within the Next 2-3 Years
or
7th Generation on 3DS (And this Wouldn't be that bad seeing as though it would definitely be in 100% 3D Like 6th Gen is)

EDIT: The Main Reason I Got a 3DS Was Because I Knew that Eventually a new Generation of Pokemon would be Released for it. That and my DS is Basically ****ed (It works... But its like extremely damaged)

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
I do have a 3DS XL (got it for Christmas) so I'm quite happy the new generation is for this, though I'm not surprised at all. I couldn't see it ever being for the DS.
I'm pretty sure that if I didn't have one though, I would probably buy one for just for this. Love the series and I doubt I could stop myself.

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2016
Im glad i already have a 3ds but I will buy an XL if they bundle it with X or Y.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I can't play GBA games on it. That is to say I can't play my Emerald cartridge. And screw Nintendo for expecting me to buy a copy of a game I already own in the download store or whatever they're calling it.

What game systems let you play two generations back? PS3s don't. Wiis don't. 360 doesn't even have 2 generations back so not really a good example. DS can't play GBC games. Why would you assume the 3DS should be GBA compatible?

masaru3

Chespin, I choose you!
Years
I think that this "evolution" is inevitable. As much as I love pokémon in 2D and 2D sprites, I'm glad pokemon is evolving. I just worry that this game might not be able to deliver every pokémon until now, that would be a major disappointment for me, as I love completing the pokédex. I've filled many pokédexes until now.

If we feel nostalgic we can always go back to playing pokémon Red and Blue. No one's going to stop us :P

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
Will X and Y being 3DS exclusive kill the Pokemon franchise? Did the Game Boy Color kill it? Did the GBA kill it? Did the Nintendo DS kill it? The answer to all these questions and the one asked in this thread are the same: No.

Pokemon is Nintendo's second biggest title. If anything, X and Y will increase 3DS sales, which last I heard are doing very well. The idea that not many people have a 3DS is invalid now. It's becoming one of the most popular consoles.

Either way, if you choose not to move on, then don't. Keep your DS, but it's officially a dead system. There will be no more major games released for it, and very few minor games at all. The 3DS isn't going anywhere. Why anyone would have thought Nintendo would just give up on it and go back to using the DS is beyond me.

X and Y will do just what Silver and Gold, Ruby and Sapphire, Diamond and Pearl, and Black and White did: sell tons of copies worldwide.

Back