• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] How to tell Fire red rom to use more than 2 bytes for Pokemon data in Hex code?

Years
Hey all, an odd question. I've made some progress with evolutions, the game now supports 8 evolutions per Pokemon, using 6 bytes to store the data - first 2 for evo type, next 2 for level/item index/last 2 for Pokemon data. I was planning on hex editing all of this data, so far I have managed to test it successfully with Bulbasaur through to Charizard but a thought has occurred to me...

I'm using Petuuuhhh's expanded rombase, so there are more than 0xFFFF Pokemon in the game, 0xFFFF is Snover. So how do I tell the game to use more than 2 bytes of data to read a pokemon's index number?

Spoiler:

Surely by this method the game will only recognise evolutions for Pokemon up to and excluding Snover. Do I need to switch all the Pokemon around to put all evolved forms within the first 512 index numbers, because that would take forever! Is there an easier way to tell the rom to just read 3 bytes, not 2?

Thanks for any help guys, you tha best xxxxxx

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 16, 2020
I'm using Petuuuhhh's expanded rombase, so there are more than 0xFFFF Pokemon in the game, 0xFFFF is Snover. So how do I tell the game to use more than 2 bytes of data to read a pokemon's index number?

I'm not familiar with this rombase, but I'm skeptical that it has over 0xFFFF pokemon. That's more than 65000 pokemon.

Years
Ok then I'm definitely dumb and hexing wrong, I assumed 0XFFFF = 0XFF + 0XFF I guess you mulitiply instead?

Back