• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you start watching the anime?

Years
As the title says, when did you start watching the anime series? Do you remember your first episode? How old were you? What language did you watch it in?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Pretty much when it started in the west. Me and my peers were all about 11-13 and the Kanto arc was the biggest I ever remember it being.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I pretty much started watching it when I was about 8, maybe 9. And my first episode was "Challenge of the Samurai". And I watched it in English. If you count the Pokémon Power comic adaptations included in Nintendo Power beforehand, I followed Pokémon right at its inception.

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I started watching Pokemon when I was 12 and the first episode I watched was the very first episode, "Pokemon, I choose you".

Guest123_x1

I started watching shortly after I got into Pokémon, in January 2000, by watching (and taping) the weekday afternoon repeats of the Indigo saga on Kids' WB. I was 11 at the time, in 6th Grade. I don't remember the very first episode I watched, though I do remember about Brock leaving to stay with Professor Ivy, as the Orange Islands saga was just beginning its US dub run around that time.

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
I think I was seven or eight at the time. The first episode that I saw was the episode where Pikachu almost left the cast, although my memory of those times is blurry, so I don't remember for sure.

Last edited:
Years
ooh can't remember when but i was watching it when i was 9 or 10. one channel in our national tv has these re-runs of Pokemon dubbed with our native language (Filipino). it was nice.
well the dub was horrible in hindsight but u kno nostalgia.

the airing was a bit irregular. i remember watching the episodes of kanto (not all), and then that entei movie in johto, and then some episodes of Hoenn (when Ash was about to challenge Flannery and Norman). And then the Jirachi movie. After was the first few episodes of Sinnoh (when ash arrived at sinnoh to catching starly and re-meeting with brock).

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Now that is a tough one, because if we are talking straight up only seeing one episode then probably around 12-13 years ago maybe?

I don't know exactly because I got into pokemon through games, and played all of them since. But pokemon episodes, I've seen some here and there. Up until 5-6 years ago where I watched all the episodes, now that was time well spent. Then I stopped in the XY series, now this year again I finished the XY series (It changed my entire view on pokemon) and am currently watching the Sun and Moon Series.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I first saw pokemon at age 9......then stopped watching for awhile pretty much; The 1999 super craze scared me o_o;;;

I started watching again around 2-3 years later, after it all died down craze wise :P yep...

PS; i find kanto/pokemon craze stuff strangely fasinating now at an older age xD; maybe part of why is how i used to find it scary.....O.o sometimes 'scary' things can be interesting, ya know? XD thats probably part of why SO many of us LOVE halloween! :P haha~

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Been watching the Anime since the beginning after I got wind of it via the Games. Classmate had Pokemon Blue so I thought I'd give the show a shot. Ironically, I stopped watching when it got to around late Hoenn/early Sinnoh when real life became hectic. Meaning I didn't get around to watching every Episode until I literally took the time this past Summer to watch every darn Episode in Japanese with subs and man... I feel hoodwinked when I see the Japanese dub and compare it to what I recall seeing in English. Its no disrespect to the Voice Actors but the OST and other effects just give the Japanese dub that little extra touch. Shippings also come across as different too.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Been watching the Anime since the beginning after I got wind of it via the Games. Classmate had Pokemon Blue so I thought I'd give the show a shot. Ironically, I stopped watching when it got to around late Hoenn/early Sinnoh when real life became hectic. Meaning I didn't get around to watching every Episode until I literally took the time this past Summer to watch every darn Episode in Japanese with subs and man... I feel hoodwinked when I see the Japanese dub and compare it to what I recall seeing in English. Its no disrespect to the Voice Actors but the OST and other effects just give the Japanese dub that little extra touch. Shippings also come across as different too.

I don't have anything against the japanese dub, but after watching the entire series in english, for me it just doesn't feel right

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I've been watching since the beginning when Pokemon first came out in America. I haven't watched every episode mostly the newer stuff but I've seen all of the older stuff.

Back