• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: OWM: OverWorld Manager

Phantom Phoenix

Lost on the road of life
Years
  • Age 27
  • ???
  • Seen Jul 1, 2020
if you add a paint brush to modify ow after inserting like ow editor rebirth it will be awesome.

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
Would it be possible if there could be an option to re-order the frames of each OWs? Say for instance, I will import a OW sheet of Volcanion... Since OWM will automatically split the frames and assign to its default frame number/position...

Meeeh, to much work for a very simple task. Just edit the order of the sprites in paint and re-insert it

if you add a paint brush to modify ow after inserting like ow editor rebirth it will be awesome.

I was debating whether I should add an image viewer or an editor. In the end I chose a viewer as I always found the editor of OW editor Rebirth quite useless. I mean, why use that when there are programs like photoshop or even paint out there that would do the same job easier?

Phantom Phoenix

Lost on the road of life
Years
  • Age 27
  • ???
  • Seen Jul 1, 2020
this tool isn't working.
whatever ROM (BPRE-fr) squirrel, independent, fr with MrDS+jpans engine....I can't import pics for any over world...
*every time I want to import frames It warns me about((((different numbers of frames detected)))
whether it has correct frames or not.

*female protagonists running frames gets deleted.and if I use OW rebirth tool or play ROM as girl there are truly no frames for girl running(has 9 frames now which should be 20 including running frames).
* boy and girl protagonists bike ow become same.like if I insert a pokeball ow in the girl protagonists bike ow,boy's become same pokeball ow.
*playing the game as a girl when using running shoes as the running frames aren't there girls ow sometimes become riding by cycle or sliding in ice...
*OW 7 (girls ow id after your tool repointed the table)has 9 frames now after repointing..BUT ow id 69 (previous girl protagonists ow I'd before repointing) still has 20 frames (9 normal walking+11 frames for running ) and I THINK THAT'S CAUSING THE PROBLEM

Last edited:

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
this tool isn't working.
whatever ROM (BPRE-fr) squirrel, independent, fr with MrDS+jpans engine....I can't import pics for any over world...
*every time I want to import frames It warns me about((((different numbers of frames detected)))
whether it has correct frames or not.

My best guess is that the dimensions of your image are not correct for the respective type and number of frames. The tool seems to work fine on me:

pr2.png

*female protagonists running frames gets deleted.and if I use OW rebirth tool or play ROM as girl there are truly no frames for girl running(has 9 frames now which should be 20 including running frames).

They are not deleted they are right there, all 20 of them:
PR4.png

* boy and girl protagonists bike ow become same.like if I insert a pokeball ow in the girl protagonists bike ow,boy's become same pokeball ow.
*playing the game as a girl when using running shoes as the running frames aren't there girls ow sometimes become riding by cycle or sliding in ice...

wut?
PR3.png
pr1.png

*OW 7 (girls ow id after your tool repointed the table)has 9 frames now after repointing..BUT ow id 69 (previous girl protagonists ow I'd before repointing) still has 20 frames (9 normal walking+11 frames for running ) and I THINK THAT'S CAUSING THE PROBLEM

check second image

~~~

I couldn't locate any of the issues you posted on a clean Fire Red (Squirrels) version.

Also the reason OW rebirth shows the OWs with a different id is because it is loading its offsets from the OW Data Pointers Table, in contrary with NSE and OWM that load them from the OW Pointers Table. Thats why the later two show the OWs with the same id as A-Map.

Years
  • Age 22
  • OHIO
  • Seen Apr 17, 2016
Pointers Table, Data Pointers, Frames Pointers and the Palette Table must be in an address that is a multiple of 4, else the OWs might not appear at all, or the screen will be black

So, with OWM repointing everything automatically, how can you ensure that it makes it a multiple of 4? All of mine have gone to a multiple of 4, except for the Pointer Address.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Just a quick update on a bug I've found.

Upon using the tool, once you come across a Pokémon centre and heal. The game will either crash or Nurse Joy will violently thrash her head about as if she's listening to Metallica...:|

I've tried this on an original fire red ROM with no editing of the sprite in question so it seems it's most probably an issue with the repointing of the original frames?

I've had a look at the script for the default Pokémon centre healing script. It seems the 0x5B movement command is the culprit here. If anyone wants a quick fix. Just replace that 0x5B with 0x0 and you shouldn't have a problem (although you'll be devestated to know nurse joy won't give you that kind, warmhearted nod as you walk away...)

Edit: This seems to be a problem with a number of things (The field move animations where the trainer holds up his Pokéball during surf and fly) I imagine others are affected too.

Last edited:

Phantom Phoenix

Lost on the road of life
Years
  • Age 27
  • ???
  • Seen Jul 1, 2020

Upon using the tool, once you come across a Pokémon centre and heal. The game will either crash or Nurse Joy will violently thrash her head about as if she's listening to Metallica...:|

I've tried this on an original fire red ROM with no editing of the sprite in question so it seems it's most probably an issue with the repointing of the original frames?

I've had a look at the script for the default Pokémon centre healing script. It seems the 0x5B movement command is the culprit here. If anyone wants a quick fix. Just replace that 0x5B with 0x0 and you shouldn't have a problem (although you'll be devestated to know nurse joy won't give you that kind, warmhearted nod as you walk away...)

Edit: This seems to be a problem with a number of things (The field move animations where the trainer holds up his Pokéball during surf and fly) I imagine others are affected too.

to fix nurse joy OW from that bug find your nurse joy ow data address in OWM go in that address in a hex editor.then after 0x18 bytes you will see a pointer 70 34 3A 08..just change 70 34 to
E4 35 and save...
Note.....if your hero's ow data sprite is at 80040c after OWM repointed your table ,then Nurse joy OW is at 800D0C.So from there after 0x18 bytes it's 800D24.So there you will see 70343A08.just change 7034 to E435..

Last edited:

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
to fix nurse joy OW from that bug find your nurse joy ow data address in OWM go in that address in a hex editor.then after 0x18 bytes you will see a pointer 70 34 3A 08..just change 70 34 to
E4 35 and save...
Note.....if your hero's ow data sprite is at 80040c after OWM repointed your table ,then Nurse joy OW is at 800D0C.So from there after 0x18 bytes it's 800D24.So there you will see 70343A08.just change 7034 to E435..

Thanks for reporting that and sorry for the inconvenience. When I was coding it I never took under consideration that pointer (after 0x18) which is responsible for the OW's animations and that why OW's with "special" animations aren't working properly. But, I m changing the code right now to handle that matter. It'll be fixed in the next update. Also i'll release a full list with the fixes for all the OW's that were repointed with this version. :)

im_mega

Some guy on the internet.
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 30, 2023
Hey! Is there any way for me to use NSE 1.7.5 after using this tool? It repointed the table, so now it has an error on load, and I can't figure out a way for it to read the new table. Thanks! I like this tool, but I like using NSE because of the .nsl files.

Sensual

This should be good.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2018
Hello, thank you for this tool.

I've inserted 49 OWs. How do I access the ones that are after Picture No. 151 in Advance Map? They just show up as the hero sprite by default.

I tried using the method Metapod described in his tutorial, but it doesn't seem to work.

Substitute Doll

An Alolan Exeggutor
Years
Hello, thank you for this tool.

I've inserted 49 OWs. How do I access the ones that are after Picture No. 151 in Advance Map? They just show up as the hero sprite by default.

I tried using the method Metapod described in his tutorial, but it doesn't seem to work.

You have to insert an image for each frame of those OWs or they come up as the hero's sprite.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Hey! Is there any way for me to use NSE 1.7.5 after using this tool? It repointed the table, so now it has an error on load, and I can't figure out a way for it to read the new table. Thanks! I like this tool, but I like using NSE because of the .nsl files.

Code:
[BPRE]
Inherits: BPRE
Sprite table = &H[Insert Pointer Address here]
Palette table = &H[Insert Palette Table here]
[/BPRE]

You have to create an .ini file with the new sprite and palette table offsets. The contents of said file should be what I have written above. Once you've created that, name it "settings" and move it into the same folder that NSE is in. Should work after that.

Years
Hey all, I'm still a begginer to rom hacking so I need someone's help if that's possible.
Actually I don't know how to insert the OW, I always mess up with the palettes.
Does anyone have a tutorial or something? Thanks!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
I was checking out this tool earlier and had a question; or rather, a suggestion.

Is there any reason you decided to automatically repoint the original OW table? It uses a lot of free space, most of which will go unused unless you add over 100 OWs. If somebody only needed around 20 extra OWs, they would be burning a lot more free space than is necessary.

This is an awesome tool though. Solid work. Good luck with future updates.

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
I was checking out this tool earlier and had a question; or rather, a suggestion.

Is there any reason you decided to automatically repoint the original OW table? It uses a lot of free space, most of which will go unused unless you add over 100 OWs. If somebody only needed around 20 extra OWs, they would be burning a lot more free space than is necessary.

Three reasons:

1) because the way OWs were inside the rom, it was impossible to dynamically know how many frames each OW had. To deal with this the other Editors hard coded the number of frames for each OW. What I did was write a special pointer to the end of the frame data of each OW. This way I could calculate the total frames size of each OW and consequently know its number of frames. Because of that I would have to repoint the frames data of all the OWs and add that pointer at the end of each one of them.

2) If I didn't repoint the table it wouldn't be possible to add more OWs as there was no free space in both OW Pointers Table, OW Data Table and frames pointers Table.

3) Some OWs didn't have walking sprites (like players mom or Gym leaders in Fire Red) but had 9 frames. Thats because frames 3-8 were the same as 0-2. But, the problem with that is that those OWs had frames data only for the first 3 frames. This means that you cant actually insert 9 frames but 3, since the walking frames were the same with the first three. To deal with this when OWM repoints the original table it adds the data of those frames in those OWs so you can normally insert as many frames as it actually has.

Also, it doesn't actually use much free space as most of the data gets repointed (witch means that the original data is whipped out and you can normally use it). The only extra space it occupies is those 0x11, 0x22 and 0x33 that are at the end of each table for 'safety measures'. But if you know that you only want to add 20 OWs and not more, you can add them and then just delete those 0x11, 0x22 and 0x33.

This is an awesome tool though. Solid work. Good luck with future updates.

Kimonas i freakin love u and ur tool
no homo!!!
Damn amazing job!!!!!!

Thank you both very much my friends! :)

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
I know this one took like forever but here it is...

UPDATED to v1.2.1

Highlights of this version:
  • Added support for an ini
  • Create Custom profiles through the ini
  • OWM now doesn't screw up with the animation pointers
  • Fixed an error with loading indexed images
  • Added a palette selector
  • Support for Spanish Fire Red
  • Generally support for Multilingual roms*

*To be accurate OWM can support multilingual roms but there are two steps to be made in order to add support for a currently not supported rom. More details in the README.

I also updated the README file so make sure to check it up if you have any question. As always if you notice anything funny just tell me :)

I also included a fixer for those who used OWM v1.2. First load your rom and then apply the fix by selecting the respective file from the "Files" folder.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Just got my hands on this. It's looking good. I appreciate the palette selector. Helps a tonne when clearing up duplicate palettes.

I'll report any bugs if I find them :-)

Back