• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

boop an update is here

Years
whoo, just managed to update my laptop to Windows 10 1803. it looks nice and functions well so that's good. still can't believe how long it took though - more than 4 hours. bad thing is another feature update is coming this October so gg on all these wasted times updating.

how about you? do you update your device(s) right after you see an update is available or do you hold off the update? or maybe you don't update at all?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I try to update as soon as I can with just about everything. Sometimes I'll put off a Windows update if I'm in the midst of something because occasionally they just take forever, but otherwise I prefer for all my devices to be up-to-date. (And with a lot of programs, I like being in betas so I can try out new features early, so I'm like... extra up-to-date!)

But the worst is when an update catches you by surprise and you're stuck unable to do anything while a 4-hour update forces itself on your device. :(

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
I typically update my devices, except windows now a days because they take forever. I remember when they didn't take so long and it was fast and you can get back to your stuff as soon as possible. Thats why I hold it off, because i dont feel like having my pc updating all night and bother my dad over night and other things.

I try to update as soon as I can with just about everything. Sometimes I'll put off a Windows update if I'm in the midst of something because occasionally they just take forever, but otherwise I prefer for all my devices to be up-to-date. (And with a lot of programs, I like being in betas so I can try out new features early, so I'm like... extra up-to-date!)

But the worst is when an update catches you by surprise and you're stuck unable to do anything while a 4-hour update forces itself on your device. :(

omg, speaking of that i hate it when you try and shut off your pc and it forces the update. that gets on my nerves. It truly does. Like I dont wanna update, why force me XD I get its to make it better but doesnt help me when i need the pc off right then and there.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
omg, speaking of that i hate it when you try and shut off your pc and it forces the update. that gets on my nerves. It truly does. Like I dont wanna update, why force me XD I get its to make it better but doesnt help me when i need the pc off right then and there.
The number of times I've desperately needed to go to sleep but my desktop decides to do a 2 hour update and keep me up instead just because I dared shut it down instead of hibernate? Augggh. T_T

(My old desktop used to make rattling fan noises which I absolutely could not sleep through, so if it started an update, I was SOL until it was done; no sleep for me.)

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
The number of times I've desperately needed to go to sleep but my desktop decides to do a 2 hour update and keep me up instead just because I dared shut it down instead of hibernate? Augggh. T_T

(My old desktop used to make rattling fan noises which I absolutely could not sleep through, so if it started an update, I was SOL until it was done; no sleep for me.)

It truly does get annoying, it shouldnt force you to do an update :/ because honestly everytime i do an update i see no differences. maybe security but thats about all i could think about. Yet when i do look at the update list its a long list of these features and crap. But I dont use a single one.

Years
I usually update right away if I can leave the computer on for long enough since I dislike leaving updates hanging for too long haha. Love having my devices updated right away unless there is a serious issue with the update. So....update away!

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I usually update it before going to bed, I don't like leaving updates waiting for too long.

Years
To all that dislike sitting through updates... buy an SSD and then updates will take less than 5 minutes to complete. :p

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
It never tells me how exactly the update will improve security but Idk
See below:
security? isnt that what things like norton and trend micro and stuff like that is for honestly
Most definitely not. Anti-Virus programs can definitely scan your computer actively and keep things from doing what they shouldn't be. Keep in mind though that some AV programs themselves can be manipulated or even completely bypassed if the virus in question uses a method of escalation (That is, obtaining Administrative access without your authorization) and kills or disables the security the antivirus provides. By installing the weekly patches that Microsoft issues, you don't have to worry about that. Viruses adapt and change often, especially if they haven't been fully analyzed by security researchers, so that they can get maximum damage, such as infecting people's computers and installing ransomware, or simply wiping people's hard drives and destroying data, so keeping your computer as up to date as possible is always highly recommended.

Granted, the way Microsoft goes about updates with Windows 10 is horribly wrong, but it's still a good idea regardless to install updates. I'd rather have a virus on my computer that can't do anything because all the flaws it exploits are patched than just hoping my antivirus will catch it right away before it can execute and start causing damage.

Back