• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV The Last Airbender Returns!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
News broke today that a reimagined, live-action Avatar The Last Airbender series is coming to Netflix.

Avatar co-creators are set to return to work on the series.

How do you feel about this? Are you going to watch? Or are you too hesitant?

pkmin3033

Live action NEVER ends well. This will be a disaster...much like Korra's ending.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I'm on the fence about this though I'm sure I'll watch it just to see how it will turn out.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
M. Night Shyamalan is shook. But I ain't watching this because I don't like live-action adaptations of cartoons, much less those produced by Netflix.

did this take a long time to write

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Why does it need a reimagining?

I'm so sick of seeing pointless remakes, even if they do it justice, unlike Night's film, it still can't live up to the original. So why not just make another series instead?

There was a massive setup in Korra that alluded to a heavy storyline happening to the next Avatar 10,000+ years past her, during the next Harmonic Convergence.

I'd rather see THAT story.

Last edited:
Years
I assume you mean whitewashing in how awful the movie casting was, IE with Katara and Sokka?

Yeah, exactly. Like, I guess maybe with the formal movie, they were consulted, but at the end of the day the casting came down to the director/etc.?

To me, it seems like with a statement like that, they're definitely trying to steer clear of the mistakes made by the atrocity that was the ATLA Movie, which is what gives me hope in this project. It seems that they realized that was a huge fuck-up, and they want to try to do things right. And I think a series versus a movie would do it justice.

However,
Why does it need a reimagining?

I'm so sick of seeing pointless remakes, even if they do it justice, unlike Night's film, it still can't live up to the original. So why not just make another series instead?

There was a massive setup in Korra that alluded to a heavy storyline happening to the next Avatar 10,000+ years past her, during the next Harmonic Convergence.

I'd rather see THAT story.
This. A+

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, or even just a direct sequel to Korra featuring the next Earth Avatar.

With this upcoming series, I really hope they incorporate the ATLA comics into it as well - specifically, the storylines about Zuko's mom. I also hope that they somehow have all of the fluff/filler episodes that ATLA had; I think they really helped shape the world of Avatar the Last Airbender, and what were seriously missing in the Legend of Korra.

Back