• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what is your opinion on the english pokemon dub?

kabigon

My body is always ready.
Years
To be frank, I think it sucks. When 4kids dubbed it it was alright, not really that great, but ok. Now, with pokemon usa its worse. The voices are worse and the english theme songs arent catchy anymore (well, the battle dimension song is a tiny bit catchy but the rap song sue as hell wasnt). I think 4kids did a great job on theme songs especially the one for season 1. I actually like that song as much as the japanese theme for season 1.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
PUSA gets a lot of hate for that rap. But, it's not the theme songs that really matter. Honestly, I do not care about the voices anymore. I actually cannot imagine Veronica voicing Ash in his DP outfit, but the same with Sarah voicing Ash in Kanto/Johto. I think now (rather than in Battle Froniter) people are moaning because the voices are different, rather than bad. If you wanna hear bad voices, watch Bakugan where every girl seems to have a high pitched, squeaky annoying voice (and that little blond boy, as well).

Although I think Battle Froniter is quite catchy (I had that in my head for a while) and Battle Dimension is quite cool. The DP rap is just horrible. 4Kids had a rap (Orange Islands) but at least that had a tune. 4Kids horrible opening was the chronicles, the US version and the UK GS Pokerap were terrible, but no-one rememembers them...anyway, I think the Japanese openings are always better, except Mezase Pokemon Master (Whiteberry) and Challenger

Oh, and the Italian Advanced Battle is WAY better than the English version (Italy get their own openings)

Anyway, as I always say, PUSA are keeping more BGM and 4Kids would *never* have kept some of the one's they kept and they are keeping *gasp* silence in some places. Although, since season 11 music is quiet urgh.

ShadowDeeps

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2021
I'll say this much - I've always felt the main voice cast of the 4Kids dub was rather solid by comparison to PUSA's, but the extras to me (who aren't voiced by the main cast) are more or less on equal footing to me. Nevertheless, both dubs have glaring flaws, but the mortifyingly obvious difference to me is that 4Kids' voice acting is very solid by comparison. It's rather downplaying that PUSA's voice acting has scantily improved over the last two years. I don't think you can supercede Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, nor Eric Stuart (at least... not in the way in which PUSA did), but I'm going to end my sentiments on that account here so as to not arouse debate.

That aside, translation wise both companies could have done an infinitely better job. As for music.... 4Kids' amalgamation of music, to me, doesn't strike the same balance between music with confidence and vibrance (that isn't forced) that the Japanese version's tracks do, with even their (4Kids') more nonchalant tracks sounding a tad... tense and sappy to me (along with pacing and placement issues, as well as redundancy in my ears), but at least the 4Kids tracks aren't monotonous like PUSA's are (IMO). That's not to say I detest 4Kids' tracks - I don't - I like them; I just prefer the original BGM. Openings... I'd say that Battle Dimension is good but the other two are laughable. I feel as an overall, 4Kids did a better job in working more solidified, situated beats and inspiring vocals into their openings, though I must admit that they're still quite a far cry away from the Japanese version's openings (but I happen to like the Italian dub's openings a lot as well). I'd be more descriptive, but again, I don't want to garner unwanted enmity, especially in a touchy matter of discussion like this.

Last edited:

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
Years
At least PUSA seems to actually know about their own franchise. Multitudes of mistakes have been made by 4Kids, such as the Pokemon mixups in Movie 1 and the many errors in Trainer's Choice (and you probably know the most infamous one).

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
Years
I don't know about the companies and all that, but I think the voices in the new episodes are WAY better than they used to be. I think the English dubs are great. Team Rocket has gone from somewhat of a threat to a provider of comic relief, and I think that suits them so much better. The action is so unbelievably better now too.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
Years
Honestly, I find these days, the plot for the series is a lot better. Focus isn't always on Ash and Pikachu, the teams are more diverse, and we're seeing things we're not expecting (through all we've come to know and love, of course.)

Frankly, I'm happy. Voices and catchy battle themes are irrelivant when you've seen 2 of the Elite Four already (counting Cynthia as one of them)

Spoiler:

I just wish we'd see Ash vs. Fantina already. I'm sick of all these sidetrack episodes...they've been around East Sinnoh what, 2-3 times now? :S

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
Years
Honestly, I find these days, the plot for the series is a lot better. Focus isn't always on Ash and Pikachu, the teams are more diverse, and we're seeing things we're not expecting (through all we've come to know and love, of course.)

Frankly, I'm happy. Voices and catchy battle themes are irrelivant when you've seen 2 of the Elite Four already (counting Cynthia as one of them)

Spoiler:

I just wish we'd see Ash vs. Fantina already. I'm sick of all these sidetrack episodes...they've been around East Sinnoh what, 2-3 times now? :S

Fantina isn't next, it's the water guy...

Years
Fantina isn't next, it's the water guy...

Spoiler:

Well, 4Kids didn't do that great at dubbing, and PUSA doesn't do much better in my opinion. The only difference is one I grew up with, not seeing the mistakes, and one was replacing the dear voices from my childhood.

So I don't think too highly of the dub. I'd watch old 4Kids episodes for nostalgia, but I don't like the current PUSA dub, even if the Sinnoh stories are much better.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
Years
I go by the Japanese episodes. Those watching the English dub are in for a great suprise next week, the same with the 3-4 weeks following Wake's Gym battle. :)

Besides, I saw the Ash vs. Crasher Wake battle and...

Spoiler:

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
When 4kids first dubbed pokemon, I liked it. I recall memories of me watching the anime back when I was a five. Then, whenever PUSA dubbed it, I lost interest in it. Reasons were becuase I didnt like the new voices and becuase I lost interest in pokemon at the time.
A year later, I not only got into pokemon again, but I also got into the anime aswell. I started liking the voices and I noticed huge improvements in editing. Even to this day, I still watch the dub and actually prefer it over the raw.(I watch the raw but only when I have the chance.)

I don't mind watching Japanese episodes, but I fail to find out how those who watch it don't get a headache from hearing Meowth talk. (It's like hearing someone take cat nails and dig them into a chalkboard...:S)
I got used to his voice after 20 or so episodes

Last edited:

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
Years
I don't mind watching Japanese episodes, but I fail to find out how those who watch it don't get a headache from hearing Meowth talk. (It's like hearing someone take cat nails and dig them into a chalkboard...:S)

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
Years
well the dub makes quite a few mistakes, they call the rice balls (onigiri) jelly filled donuts, how is something made of rice a jelly filled donut???

daydreambeliever

Awkwardturtleshipping (L)
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011
I cannot speak or read Japanese to save my life. I'm just not that talented in learning other languages.

I don't mind the English Dub. This voices are better than what they were at the start I reckon. But I guess, you get use to the ones that are on now. Oh well...

Bakugan is so annoying! My brothers watch it and its like... mice talking.

I have to say, the first theme song in English is the best. Everyone knows it even if they hate Pokemon. & I have become obessed with the Battle Dimesion theme. I sing it at school and people stare at me, but its so catchy!

Dr. Ookido

オーキド博士
Years
Used to somewhat (which means not much at all actually) watch the English 4kids dub. Don't think I've watched even 10 whole PUSA episodes (basically I don't watch the dub much save for clips on YouTube at most anymore). But I have seen some of the recent movies dubbed.

Overall, I would say that the dub is corny. The voice actors both then and now can't portray emotions for s**t, imho. Which is kinda unfortunate sometimes. If one were to judge the show from the dub only, he or she would get the impression that Pokes is never serious. Seriously. Not to sound corny and cheesy, but sometimes there are touching/sentimental/emotional moments in Pocket Monsters. So basically, the dub has always seemed to me...corny, cheesy, laugh-at-VA-attempts-at-emotion-ish. But it's not always that bad, sometimes you just need to watch silly fare that is really light-hearted, you know, to loosen up the mood. Still, I would rather watch the Japanese original :P.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
Years
The current dub? I don't really like it. I like the DP rap though, I thought, despite being of poor quality and being awkward, it was cool. The voices on the other hand. And this is not because they are different, it's just how they sound.

Well TR never used to sound nice togther with Meowth's odd voice but now they sound terrible. I really don't like Jimmy Zoppi because he's very raspy at times. So when I heard TR on that youtube clip, I wanted to block my ears out.
Hikari sounds like the lovechild of Liza Ortiz and Rachael Lillis was voicing her. At times she sounded like an Ortiz character and at times I could've sworn that Misty had returned to the cast. Shinji sounded way too deep at times and far to different from his Japanese voice for association but that's another story.
Brock was okay but I only liked Ash. I thought his voice was kinda cute.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021

Me too. I love all the Japanese voices except Meowth's, that has to be the one thing I hate. Except his laugh "nya-haha!" which is just too cool. If you ask me, Nyasu sounds like a woman with sandpaper down her throat. It hurts my throat just thinking about that voice. But I much prefer the dub's Meowth as he actually sounds like a boy...or, er, a man. Well, male. And the accent is too cool.

Vernikova

Banned
Years
I believe it's time for me to slowly disect this thread until no blood is left from it.

To be frank, I think it sucks. When 4kids dubbed it it was alright, not really that great, but ok. Now, with pokemon usa its worse.
Now let's not get crazy. With 4Kids we had people, ususally CoTDs that had the same voice, I'm pretty sure we know who already. They erased words that were in Japanese, English, and a made up block language. They switch the names of foods, have more paint edits than I could count, and totally mutalated episodes. The Raikou special comes to mind. Swithcing up Hun like she he was nothing more than a tree.

kabigon said:
The voices are worse and the english theme songs arent catchy anymore (well, the battle dimension song is a tiny bit catchy but the rap song sue as hell wasnt). I think 4kids did a great job on theme songs especially the one for season 1. I actually like that song as much as the japanese theme for season 1.
I could care less about the themes at this point. But I totally disagree with the voices. I actually think the voices are better now. Ash doesn't sound like a girl, I liked Taylor in the first episode, james doesn't sound like Kaiba crossed with his old James voice(Old as in a long time ago, not age), Brock has been the best voice so far, I love May's new voice but Taylor's wasn't bad either.

Jorah said:
If you wanna hear bad voices, watch Bakugan where every girl seems to have a high pitched, squeaky annoying voice (and that little blond boy, as well).

Alice's voice isn't high pitched, but I agree that the others are XD.

DonRoyale said:
Besides, I saw the Ash vs. Crasher Wake battle and...
I agree.

Lornami said:
Well, 4Kids didn't do that great at dubbing, and PUSA doesn't do much better in my opinion. The only difference is one I grew up with, not seeing the mistakes, and one was replacing the dear voices from my childhood.
Doesn't not having mistakes make a dub better? I think it does.

Bamachi said:
well the dub makes quite a few mistakes, they call the rice balls (onigiri) jelly filled donuts, how is something made of rice a jelly filled donut???
That was in the 4Kids dub. They use "riceballs" in the PUSA one. But it makes me mad that 4Kids called them riceballs at least once when they were dubbing so I don't know why they switch it.

Crystal Clair said:
Well TR never used to sound nice togther with Meowth's odd voice but now they sound terrible. I really don't like Jimmy Zoppi because he's very raspy at times. So when I heard TR on that youtube clip, I wanted to block my ears out.
I agree that they soung horrible as a group. Especially in the Chingling episode.

Crystal Clair said:
Shinji sounded way too deep at times and far to different from his Japanese voice for association but that's another story.
Actually, I like Shinji's voice. It just seem different.

ShadowDeeps said:
I'll say this much - I've always felt the main voice cast of the 4Kids dub was rather solid by comparison to PUSA's, but the extras to me (who aren't voiced by the main cast) are more or less on equal footing to me. Nevertheless, both dubs have glaring flaws, but the mortifyingly obvious difference to me is that 4Kids' voice acting is very solid by comparison. It's rather downplaying that PUSA's voice acting has scantily improved over the last two years. I don't think you can supercede Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, nor Eric Stuart (at least... not in the way in which PUSA did), but I'm going to end my sentiments on that acount here so as to not arouse debate.

That aside, translation wise both companies could have done an infinitely better job. As for music.... 4Kids' amalgamation of music, to me, doesn't strike the same balance between music with confidence and vibrance (that isn't forced) that the Japanese version's tracks do, with even their (4Kids') more nonchalant tracks sounding a tad... tense and sappy to me (along with pacing and placement issues, as well as redundancy in my ears), but at least the 4Kids tracks aren't monotonous like PUSA's are (IMO). That's not to say I detest 4Kids' tracks - I don't - I like them; I just prefer the original BGM. Openings... I'd say that Battle Dimension is good but the other two are laughable. I feel as an overall, 4Kids did a better job in working more solidified, situated beats and inspiring vocals into their openings, though I must admit that they're still quite a far cry away from the Japanese version's openings. I'd be more descriptive, but again, I don't want to garner unwanted enmity, especially in a touchy matter of discussion like this.
You shouldn't be afraid to start a debate. Freedom of Speech actually protects you here :P.

I just stated my opinions in the longest ost I've ever posted.

Back