Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Draconius GO
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #276    
Old 5 Days Ago (2:50 PM).
Alexander18's Avatar
Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
Dragon user
     
    Join Date: Jun 2017
    Location: NZ
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Lonely
    Posts: 1,362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
    Technically, Rise of the Guardians got... what, $103,412,758 in the box office, not to mention more than double its $145 million budget? Yet Jeffrey Katzenberg STILL decried it as a box office bomb. Making a cent also means it made money. Doesn't mean that it was a success. And if I were an executive, if Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon failed to top Sun and Moon in sales, I'd denounce it as a failure, period, REGARDLESS of whether it made any money.

    And as far as NCIS and Blue Bloods, you may not like those shows, but what cannot be denied is that they got very high ratings, about 13 million viewers on average just with Season 15, and they've remained stable since Season 1, and even Blue Bloods, while not quite to NCIS's levels by Season 8, nonetheles is within the 10 million viewers mark. And bear in mind, both seasons are well within the age of internet viewership, so the fact that they get such high ratings shows just HOW popular those shows are. Contrast that with Pokemon's ratings, and how they at BEST get 3 million viewers, far below Kanto's viewers or even AG or DP's viewerships, heck, even XY's. In fact, if I were a suit, and I saw Pokemon getting those low ratings, I'd pull the plug, and they'd pray I'd even be willing to wait until the actual arc is over. And believe me, I've seen PLENTY of shows get cancelled due to very bad ratings, some even being in Japan as I've pointed out (Bleach is a particularly notable example of a Japanese show that actually got cancelled, quite prematurely I might add, specifically due to very bad ratings), and I've seen shows get cancelled for bad ratings that were even higher than Pokémon's current ratings (ie, Heroes, probably also West Wing).
    Pokemon ratings are not as bad as you make it out to be. They are strong enough for both anime games to keep going.

    Also third versions tend to do less better than the original pair but they are not a failure. USUM is a success no matter what.
    __________________
    I am a healthy and smart member of Poke Community. Has not been defeated in a pokemon battle by anyone of this forums or others. I am a Dragon user who taught my Dragons to combat all their weaknesses.
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #277    
    Old 5 Days Ago (3:05 PM).
    weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is online now
       
      Join Date: Apr 2005
      Posts: 2,393
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
      Pokemon ratings are not as bad as you make it out to be. They are strong enough for both anime games to keep going.

      Also third versions tend to do less better than the original pair but they are not a failure. USUM is a success no matter what.
      "Not as bad"? 3 million viewers, heck, barely above 1 million viewers is actually considered very bad ratings, period, bad enough that they generally end up on the chopping block. Just ask my uncle and aunt who work in the advertising industry/taught advertising at UNC, they'll tell you.

      And as far as third versions, Pokémon Yellow and even Black 2 and White 2 did very well, while this didn't. Those two only lost 53.5% and 45.5% of BW and RGB's revenue, respectively. Crystal also did terribly, for the record, losing more than 72.3% of GS's sales. Also, UltraSun and UltraMoon is NOT a "third version", they're direct sequels. We haven't gotten third versions since Platinum back in Gen IV. Based on the amount of funds it got via its third day, it did significantly less well than Sun and Moon. And for the record, it got a lot of scathing negative reviews as well on Amazon Japan.
      Reply With Quote
        #278    
      Old 5 Days Ago (4:14 PM).
      Alexander18's Avatar
      Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
      Dragon user
         
        Join Date: Jun 2017
        Location: NZ
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lonely
        Posts: 1,362
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
        "Not as bad"? 3 million viewers, heck, barely above 1 million viewers is actually considered very bad ratings, period, bad enough that they generally end up on the chopping block. Just ask my uncle and aunt who work in the advertising industry/taught advertising at UNC, they'll tell you.

        And as far as third versions, Pokémon Yellow and even Black 2 and White 2 did very well, while this didn't. Those two only lost 53.5% and 45.5% of BW and RGB's revenue, respectively. Crystal also did terribly, for the record, losing more than 72.3% of GS's sales. Also, UltraSun and UltraMoon is NOT a "third version", they're direct sequels. We haven't gotten third versions since Platinum back in Gen IV. Based on the amount of funds it got via its third day, it did significantly less well than Sun and Moon. And for the record, it got a lot of scathing negative reviews as well on Amazon Japan.
        Incorrect. USUM are not sequels. They are an alternate story which is close to being a third version. All the third versions did good and B2W2 did fine.

        3 million viewers is NOT bad. 500 viewers is considered bad. Pokemon is still strong. That can't be denied.
        __________________
        I am a healthy and smart member of Poke Community. Has not been defeated in a pokemon battle by anyone of this forums or others. I am a Dragon user who taught my Dragons to combat all their weaknesses.
        Reply With Quote
          #279    
        Old 5 Days Ago (4:46 PM). Edited 5 Days Ago by weedle_mchairybug.
        weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is online now
           
          Join Date: Apr 2005
          Posts: 2,393
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
          Incorrect. USUM are not sequels. They are an alternate story which is close to being a third version. All the third versions did good and B2W2 did fine.

          3 million viewers is NOT bad. 500 viewers is considered bad. Pokemon is still strong. That can't be denied.
          They're not third versions (bear in mind, the titles are Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, not something like "Pokémon Eclipse"), though, which still proves my case.

          And BTW, going by most TV companies, 3 million viewers IS bad, while 500 is simply WORSE. I've seen shows get cancelled due to bad ratings that were even higher than that, like Heroes, or GCB, or West Wing, or all those shows. Heck, Supergirl only got moved to the CW because by the end of the season, its ratings fell hard and low enough that CBS couldn't afford to keep it on the air on that channel, and then it continued to get lower after they started pushing politics that quite frankly most viewers didn't want pushed on them nor were they even remotely family friendly in the first place. Good ratings require double digits. Heck, just look at Bleach's cancellation, and that was popular regarding sales, meaning it got cancelled due to bad ratings. If those shows had bad ratings to such an extent that the writers cancelled them because of it, Pokémon is on the chopping block as well. I know if I were an executive, I'd pull the plug after seeing those abysmal ratings.
          Reply With Quote
            #280    
          Old 5 Days Ago (8:32 PM).
          Alexander18's Avatar
          Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
          Dragon user
             
            Join Date: Jun 2017
            Location: NZ
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Lonely
            Posts: 1,362
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
            They're not third versions (bear in mind, the titles are Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, not something like "Pokémon Eclipse"), though, which still proves my case.

            And BTW, going by most TV companies, 3 million viewers IS bad, while 500 is simply WORSE. I've seen shows get cancelled due to bad ratings that were even higher than that, like Heroes, or GCB, or West Wing, or all those shows. Heck, Supergirl only got moved to the CW because by the end of the season, its ratings fell hard and low enough that CBS couldn't afford to keep it on the air on that channel, and then it continued to get lower after they started pushing politics that quite frankly most viewers didn't want pushed on them nor were they even remotely family friendly in the first place. Good ratings require double digits. Heck, just look at Bleach's cancellation, and that was popular regarding sales, meaning it got cancelled due to bad ratings. If those shows had bad ratings to such an extent that the writers cancelled them because of it, Pokémon is on the chopping block as well. I know if I were an executive, I'd pull the plug after seeing those abysmal ratings.
            I think USUM are third versions. They have a similar story with some changes added to it so it can focus on Necrozma. It is not a sequel since the events do not take place a year or two after SM and we are using the same main characters who have a design change

            3 million viewers is not bad. It is a strong amount. Good ratings don't require double digits as long as the show is still popular.

            Pokemon is still popular regardless of what some say. It is not getting cancelled. Not now and not later.
            __________________
            I am a healthy and smart member of Poke Community. Has not been defeated in a pokemon battle by anyone of this forums or others. I am a Dragon user who taught my Dragons to combat all their weaknesses.
            Reply With Quote
              #281    
            Old 5 Days Ago (5:59 AM).
            weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is online now
               
              Join Date: Apr 2005
              Posts: 2,393
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
              I think USUM are third versions. They have a similar story with some changes added to it so it can focus on Necrozma. It is not a sequel since the events do not take place a year or two after SM and we are using the same main characters who have a design change

              3 million viewers is not bad. It is a strong amount. Good ratings don't require double digits as long as the show is still popular.

              Pokemon is still popular regardless of what some say. It is not getting cancelled. Not now and not later.
              We should call them extensions or expansion packs, then, because they definitely aren't "third versions".

              As far as 3 million viewers, I can name to you plenty of shows that got cancelled, with the official reason being bad ratings, that had even higher viewers than Pokémon, like Heroes on NBC, for example. And then there's Bleach, whose popularity arguably rivaled Pokémon, where its anime got cancelled due to, you guessed it, bad ratings.
              Reply With Quote
                #282    
              Old 5 Days Ago (10:11 AM).
              Alexander18's Avatar
              Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
              Dragon user
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2017
                Location: NZ
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Lonely
                Posts: 1,362
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                We should call them extensions or expansion packs, then, because they definitely aren't "third versions".

                As far as 3 million viewers, I can name to you plenty of shows that got cancelled, with the official reason being bad ratings, that had even higher viewers than Pokémon, like Heroes on NBC, for example. And then there's Bleach, whose popularity arguably rivaled Pokémon, where its anime got cancelled due to, you guessed it, bad ratings.
                Not all shows get cancelled so can't assume pokemon would as well. People still love it and that is why it keeps going.

                And USUM are third versions. They have everything that requires a third version to have.
                __________________
                I am a healthy and smart member of Poke Community. Has not been defeated in a pokemon battle by anyone of this forums or others. I am a Dragon user who taught my Dragons to combat all their weaknesses.
                Reply With Quote
                  #283    
                Old 5 Days Ago (10:17 AM). Edited 5 Days Ago by weedle_mchairybug.
                weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is online now
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2005
                  Posts: 2,393
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
                  Not all shows get cancelled so can't assume pokemon would as well. People still love it and that is why it keeps going.

                  And USUM are third versions. They have everything that requires a third version to have.
                  A third version requires, obviously, only one extra version, NOT two. So no, not a third version. At most, you can call it an expansion pack.

                  And yes, actually, the examples I cited were due to very poor ratings, regardless of whether people actually liked the show. Heck, Last Man Standing got cancelled despite it being very popular among audiences (there was an uproar over the whole cancellation). And don't forget, Bleach was popular enough that they're actually making a movie about it right now, yet that never stopped the anime from being cancelled precisely BECAUSE of very bad ratings. If those examples can get cancelled despite popularity due to bad ratings, Pokémon most certainly can as well. Heck, Super Mario World got cancelled as well, and that was DESPITE the Mario games being VERY popular, including Super Mario World when it first came out.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #284    
                  Old 5 Days Ago (10:20 AM).
                  Alexander18's Avatar
                  Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
                  Dragon user
                     
                    Join Date: Jun 2017
                    Location: NZ
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Lonely
                    Posts: 1,362
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                    A third version requires, obviously, only one extra version, NOT two. So no, not a third version. At most, you can call it an expansion pack.

                    And yes, actually, the examples I cited were due to very poor ratings, regardless of whether people actually liked the show. Heck, Last Man Standing got cancelled despite it being very popular among audiences (there was an uproar over the whole cancellation). And don't forget, Bleach was popular enough that they're actually making a movie about it right now, yet that never stopped the anime from being cancelled precisely BECAUSE of very bad ratings. If those examples can get cancelled despite popularity due to bad ratings, Pokémon most certainly can as well. Heck, Super Mario World got cancelled as well, and that was DESPITE the Mario games being VERY popular, including Super Mario World when it first came out.
                    It is a third version that happens to be two games. This can not be denied.

                    Sorry but i just don't buy the whole low ratings equals cancellation of pokemon. It is not gonna happen. Again this can't be denied.
                    __________________
                    I am a healthy and smart member of Poke Community. Has not been defeated in a pokemon battle by anyone of this forums or others. I am a Dragon user who taught my Dragons to combat all their weaknesses.
                    Reply With Quote
                      #285    
                    Old 5 Days Ago (10:39 AM). Edited 5 Days Ago by weedle_mchairybug.
                    weedle_mchairybug weedle_mchairybug is online now
                       
                      Join Date: Apr 2005
                      Posts: 2,393
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Alexander18 View Post
                      It is a third version that happens to be two games. This can not be denied.

                      Sorry but i just don't buy the whole low ratings equals cancellation of pokemon. It is not gonna happen. Again this can't be denied.
                      Yeah, actually, it CAN be denied. If I were to use the term "third version", I would use it in the most exact manner possible (ie, it can't have more than two versions released at the same time, be only ONE game alone, like how Blue, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum literally only had one version available as a third version. I'm not counting Yellow since that was more of a special edition to promote the Anime in its heyday.). So no, under the exact terminology, while it may not be a sequel, it certainly isn't a third version either due to their being two versions released simultaneously (now, if it were named "Pokémon Eclipse", THEN it would be a third version). The most you CAN call it under 100% accuracy is "expansion packs".

                      As far as low ratings equaling cancellation of Pokémon, I provided multiple examples of shows, both out of and inside Japan, where this rang true, and many of them were both popular and intended to promote the franchise by acting as advertisement vehicles. If they get cancelled due to low ratings, REGARDLESS of how well liked or how well received the shows are, it would stand to reason that Pokémon has the exact same fate.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #286    
                      Old 5 Days Ago (10:56 AM).
                      Alexander18's Avatar
                      Alexander18 Alexander18 is offline
                      Dragon user
                         
                        Join Date: Jun 2017
                        Location: NZ
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Lonely
                        Posts: 1,362
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by weedle_mchairybug View Post
                        Yeah, actually, it CAN be denied. If I were to use the term "third version", I would use it in the most exact manner possible (ie, it can't have more than two versions released at the same time, be only ONE game alone, like how Blue, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum literally only had one version available as a third version. I'm not counting Yellow since that was more of a special edition to promote the Anime in its heyday.). So no, under the exact terminology, while it may not be a sequel, it certainly isn't a third version either due to their being two versions released simultaneously (now, if it were named "Pokémon Eclipse", THEN it would be a third version). The most you CAN call it under 100% accuracy is "expansion packs".

                        As far as low ratings equaling cancellation of Pokémon, I provided multiple examples of shows, both out of and inside Japan, where this rang true, and many of them were both popular and intended to promote the franchise by acting as advertisement vehicles. If they get cancelled due to low ratings, REGARDLESS of how well liked or how well received the shows are, it would stand to reason that Pokémon has the exact same fate.
                        Going to disagree with you. I consider them third versions and i do not believe pokemon is getting cancelled.

                        You may have provided examples on what got cancelled but it does not mean it would happen with pokemon.

                        Those who say pokemon is getting cancelled are clearly not having any faith in writers and in the game developers. My opinion.

                        Agree to disagree as we seem to be getting no where.
                        __________________
                        I am a healthy and smart member of Poke Community. Has not been defeated in a pokemon battle by anyone of this forums or others. I am a Dragon user who taught my Dragons to combat all their weaknesses.
                        Reply With Quote
                        Reply

                        Quick Reply

                        Join the conversation!

                        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                        Create a PokéCommunity Account

                        Sponsored Links
                        Thread Tools

                        Posting Rules
                        You may not post new threads
                        You may not post replies
                        You may not post attachments
                        You may not edit your posts

                        BB code is On
                        Smilies are On
                        [IMG] code is On
                        HTML code is Off

                        Forum Jump


                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:40 PM.