The PokéCommunity Forums The PokéCommunity Archives Fan Clubs & Groups
The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

 
 
Thread Tools
  #1651    
Old December 13th, 2011 (9:24 AM).
Mew~'s Avatar
Mew~ Mew~ is offline
THE HOST IS BROKEN
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,165
idk if you guys have actually discussed this yet :x but we were having a good conversation with a cool supply we had for Physics, and we came to the subject of sexuality (nothing to do with physics, I know), and someone said they didn't like how gay people flaunted their sexuality about or something along those lines, and should keep it to yourself. I wanted to know what you guys think about this subject, I mean, a lot of people don't mind it when you see a girl and a boy snogging in a public place. Sorry if it's already been discussed.
__________________
There was nothing. Followed by everything. Swirling, burning specks of creation that circled life-giving suns. And then we reached to the light.

  #1652    
Old December 13th, 2011 (9:51 AM).
Esper's Avatar
Esper Esper is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 10,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew~ View Post
idk if you guys have actually discussed this yet :x but we were having a good conversation with a cool supply we had for Physics, and we came to the subject of sexuality (nothing to do with physics, I know), and someone said they didn't like how gay people flaunted their sexuality about or something along those lines, and should keep it to yourself. I wanted to know what you guys think about this subject, I mean, a lot of people don't mind it when you see a girl and a boy snogging in a public place. Sorry if it's already been discussed.
I'm pretty sure it has been discussed before, but it's one of those topics that never really goes away because someone inevitably feels a need to say they don't like gay people flaunting their gay-itude.

This person you mention is probably not very aware of how much straight people "flaunt" their sexuality. Some people just don't like public displays of affection, but among that group you get people who are more against gay PDA than straight PDA. Like, for instance, they don't notice or care if a heterosexual couple is holding hands, but when a gay couple do it it's "flaunting." You just have those people out there who don't realize that because we live in a heteronormative world where straight is default and doesn't stand out a lot of it goes unnoticed. Or rather, not unnoticed, but not seen as standing out.
__________________
  #1653    
Old December 13th, 2011 (9:54 AM).
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian Sydian is offline
la justice
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Age: 26
Nature: Timid
Posts: 31,705
Wasn't there a thread about that? I'm uncomfortable with heavy PDA in general, I don't care if it's a straight couple, gay couple, interracial, alien, etc. That's just me. It makes me uncomfortable and reminds me that I'm forever alone. The flaunting their sexuality thing idk...it's kind of annoying when they're like constantly finding a way to mention they're gay. I was drying silverware at work Friday night and there were two guys helping me, one of which was a screaming rainbow. Everything he said, he made sure to heavily imply he was gay, and it was really annoying. I was already pissed off and annoyed because we ended up working til 1 AM and I was on my 6th rack of silverware with more to go, so him saying all that didn't help. He was really agitating. This goes for anyone that finds the need to imply they're straight all the time, too. It's just like "okay are you insecure about you're sexuality? cause i get it. you're gay/straight/whatever. fantastic. shut up. do dishes."

/mini rant sorry
__________________

some princes don't become kings.
  #1654    
Old December 13th, 2011 (10:15 AM).
Ineffable~'s Avatar
Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
DAT SNARKITUDE
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Any ol' place really
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Posts: 2,742
Regarding the current topic, I'm mad at Scarf for saying exactly what I wanted to I think gay people flaunt their gaiety exactly as much as straight people flaunt their straightity. A woman saying "my boyfriend did this yesterday blah blah blah" isn't "keeping it to yourself" that she's straight (or maybe bi/pan, whatev). Does that make it flaunting? No, or at least I hope not. It's okay to mention things that would make you gay. Me talking about my girlfriend to people is a clear indicator that I'm gay, but it's something I would mention whether or not I were gay. On the other hand, running around saying "LOL I'M A LESBIAN HAHAHA" all the time can be considered flaunting. Public displays of affection are a grey area in my opinion. I love displays of affection, but I wouldn't really like to be seen in public all over each other so I'm willing to tone it down. Whether straight or gay, seeing two people on a bus doing everything short of stripping down and having sex is a bit of an eyesore.

In my opinion I find it almost "flaunting your straightity" to announce to people how you don't like gay people flaunting their gaiety, since it's like "well of course I'm superior to you! It's how the world is!" It's just, you don't need to turn your own sexuality into a discussion topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I was drying silverware at work Friday night and there were two guys helping me, one of which was a screaming rainbow. Everything he said, he made sure to heavily imply he was gay, and it was really annoying. I was already pissed off and annoyed because we ended up working til 1 AM and I was on my 6th rack of silverware with more to go, so him saying all that didn't help. He was really agitating. This goes for anyone that finds the need to imply they're straight all the time, too. It's just like "okay are you insecure about you're sexuality? cause i get it. you're gay/straight/whatever. fantastic. shut up. do dishes."
Lol, wow, you don't need to mention it in every sentence. xD
__________________

#077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
Fire ~ Field eggs
3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Its hooves are 10 times harder
than diamonds. It can trample
anything completely flat in moments.

Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
Locations: Pokémon Mansion

Cry

Other names:

jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
de: Ponita
fr: Ponyta
cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


  #1655    
Old December 14th, 2011 (8:22 AM).
Esper's Avatar
Esper Esper is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 10,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable~ View Post
In my opinion I find it almost "flaunting your straightity" to announce to people how you don't like gay people flaunting their gaiety, since it's like "well of course I'm superior to you! It's how the world is!"
Truer words were never spoken.

Has anyone seen something called Explaining Gay Rights to People Who Make the Huge Leap That If We Legalize Gay Marriage It Will Open the Doors to all Sorts of Ridiculous Things Life Marrying Your Toaster, Children, The Dead or your Dog? It's kind of amazing, but also kind of sad that such a thing is necessary.
__________________
  #1656    
Old December 14th, 2011 (9:02 AM).
-Jared-'s Avatar
-Jared- -Jared- is offline
Certified Responsible Adult
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern California
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Posts: 1,820
About flaunting of sexuality, I agree that is is annoying somewhat when people of any sexuality go out and act like they have to broadcast it to the world. Sexuality really shouldn't be that big of a deal so it isn't worth broadcasting. :\ On the other hand, I know from experience that when I came out on PC, I felt free enough to talk about it that I found myself essentially popping it into conversations I was having. Eventually, the novelty wore off and I got over myself. xD So when I see people in real life do that, I typically give them the benefit of the doubt.

And in regards to that picture, Scarf, it IS amazing. xD Too bad most people don't realize that, or will argue against it still. ;__;
__________________
  #1657    
Old December 14th, 2011 (10:15 AM).
Ineffable~'s Avatar
Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
DAT SNARKITUDE
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Any ol' place really
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Posts: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
People Who Make the Huge Leap That If We Legalize Gay Marriage It Will Open the Doors to all Sorts of Ridiculous Things Life Marrying Your Toaster, Children, The Dead or your Dog
Lol leaps like this one are only too common in arguing against LGBT rights. :/ It's really a completely different concept. So one person can't marry another certain person? We'll grant him that right--done. We don't need to grant him the right to marry a dead unicorn at the same time. It's just too far out there to be valid.
I also see the classic argument against trans people transitioning: what would you say if someone thought he was a Psyduck stuck in a man's body?
__________________

#077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
Fire ~ Field eggs
3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Its hooves are 10 times harder
than diamonds. It can trample
anything completely flat in moments.

Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
Locations: Pokémon Mansion

Cry

Other names:

jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
de: Ponita
fr: Ponyta
cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


  #1658    
Old December 14th, 2011 (10:27 AM).
Esper's Avatar
Esper Esper is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Posts: 10,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable~ View Post
I also see the classic argument against trans people transitioning: what would you say if someone thought he was a Psyduck stuck in a man's body?
You know, I'm a tiny bit ashamed to admit this, but I don't have a very well-worded response to people who say stuff like that. Thankfully it almost never comes up, but when it does I usually get all tongue-tied and by the time I can get to my point the other person has stopped listening (if they were ever listening in the first place).
__________________
  #1659    
Old December 14th, 2011 (10:31 AM).
Ineffable~'s Avatar
Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
DAT SNARKITUDE
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Any ol' place really
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Posts: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
You know, I'm a tiny bit ashamed to admit this, but I don't have a very well-worded response to people who say stuff like that. Thankfully it almost never comes up, but when it does I usually get all tongue-tied and by the time I can get to my point the other person has stopped listening (if they were ever listening in the first place).
Actually, I have the same problem. :/ I can't think of any particular reason.
Still, I think the two things are so different that it's the responsibility of the other person to explain why it makes sense to make the comparison, rather than my responsibility to explain how they're different.
__________________

#077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
Fire ~ Field eggs
3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

Its hooves are 10 times harder
than diamonds. It can trample
anything completely flat in moments.

Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
Locations: Pokémon Mansion

Cry

Other names:

jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
de: Ponita
fr: Ponyta
cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


  #1660    
Old December 14th, 2011 (10:34 AM).
Jubilation's Avatar
Jubilation Jubilation is offline
the fairy type gymleader
     
    Join Date: May 2006
    Location: melbourne
    Age: 24
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 3,998
    Not to be offensive, but if the person legitimately thought they were a psyduck, wouldn't they be in need of therapy?
      #1661    
    Old December 14th, 2011 (10:48 AM).
    Esper's Avatar
    Esper Esper is offline
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: California
    Posts: 10,761
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ineffable~ View Post
    Actually, I have the same problem. :/ I can't think of any particular reason.
    Still, I think the two things are so different that it's the responsibility of the other person to explain why it makes sense to make the comparison, rather than my responsibility to explain how they're different.
    It probably is, but I can see everything going downhill from there so I want to have a backup, you know?

    Me: "Explain how those two things even remotely related."
    Them: "You're trying to change nature, your god-given blah blah etc. etc."
    Me: "But it's not the same! A video game duck is not a person."
    Them: *same argument; not getting it*

    Maybe it's too much to expect people to understand that you're a person with a brain, that you understand your own body and feelings and that you can be responsible for your own decisions, that you still want people to treat you like the human being you are.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jubilation View Post
    Not to be offensive, but if the person legitimately thought they were a psyduck, wouldn't they be in need of therapy?
    Probably, yeah. That's why it's really frustrating and insulting if someone makes the comparison between someone who's transgender with someone who has a mental issue.
    __________________
      #1662    
    Old December 14th, 2011 (11:09 AM).
    Ineffable~'s Avatar
    Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
    DAT SNARKITUDE
     
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Any ol' place really
    Age: 24
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Naive
    Posts: 2,742
    Okay so I decided to make a thread about this topic on a (transgender oriented) forum.

    I think I have a good argument. We were created with the materials to be either gender/sex and never had any conception of which one we would be until later on in the womb. On the other hand, we're not going to by coincidence happen to turn into an aardvark before being born. Not how it works--not related species.
    You could almost break this argument down with the fact that chromosomes are in our genes, but then you'd be forgetting intersex people who have XY chromosomes yet noticeably female sexual characteristics, et al.
    Also, the shapes of brains of transgender people are overwhelmingly closer to their "target genders" as opposed to their "biological sex", i.e. a "born male" trans woman has a corpus callosum about the same size of the average female rather than the average male. However I'm pretty sure I've never heard of anyone with a brain the size of an earthworm brain.

    Okay admittedly this is something I accidentally found out while researching for psychology homework yesterday.
    __________________

    #077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
    Fire ~ Field eggs
    3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

    Its hooves are 10 times harder
    than diamonds. It can trample
    anything completely flat in moments.

    Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
    Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
    Locations: Pokémon Mansion

    Cry

    Other names:

    jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
    de: Ponita
    fr: Ponyta
    cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


      #1663    
    Old December 14th, 2011 (11:29 AM).
    Esper's Avatar
    Esper Esper is offline
     
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: California
    Posts: 10,761
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ineffable~ View Post
    Okay so I decided to make a thread about this topic on a (transgender oriented) forum.

    I think I have a good argument. We were created with the materials to be either gender/sex and never had any conception of which one we would be until later on in the womb. On the other hand, we're not going to by coincidence happen to turn into an aardvark before being born. Not how it works--not related species.
    You could almost break this argument down with the fact that chromosomes are in our genes, but then you'd be forgetting intersex people who have XY chromosomes yet noticeably female sexual characteristics, et al.
    Also, the shapes of brains of transgender people are overwhelmingly closer to their "target genders" as opposed to their "biological sex", i.e. a "born male" trans woman has a corpus callosum about the same size of the average female rather than the average male. However I'm pretty sure I've never heard of anyone with a brain the size of an earthworm brain.

    Okay admittedly this is something I accidentally found out while researching for psychology homework yesterday.
    This is good. I think I'm going to use this if I ever need to (which I probably will). It should be pretty helpful to get someone to start explaining themselves better if I tell them it's a natural part of our biology. Some people really love to talk about how this thing and that thing are part of nature so if I can show them something else that's part of nature they'll have to accept it lol.
    __________________
      #1664    
    Old December 14th, 2011 (12:02 PM).
    Railgun's Avatar
    Railgun Railgun is offline
    Ever Day Another New Adventure
       
      Join Date: Dec 2011
      Location: Newton
      Age: 28
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Quiet
      Posts: 432
      Permission to join this group please?
      __________________
        #1665    
      Old December 14th, 2011 (12:15 PM).
      Esper's Avatar
      Esper Esper is offline
       
      Join Date: Jun 2009
      Location: California
      Posts: 10,761
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by AshleyKetchum View Post
      Permission to join this group please?
      No need to ask. You're already a member just by wanting to be one. Shining Raichu will come by at some point and add you to the list. So, welcome! Got anything club-related you wanted to talk about here?
      __________________
        #1666    
      Old December 14th, 2011 (1:53 PM).
      Railgun's Avatar
      Railgun Railgun is offline
      Ever Day Another New Adventure
         
        Join Date: Dec 2011
        Location: Newton
        Age: 28
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Quiet
        Posts: 432
        Well wanted to join to meet others and learn more. :)
        __________________
          #1667    
        Old December 14th, 2011 (2:19 PM).
        Ineffable~'s Avatar
        Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
        DAT SNARKITUDE
         
        Join Date: Aug 2008
        Location: Any ol' place really
        Age: 24
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Naive
        Posts: 2,742
        Welcome welcome!! :D I love me some new members!
        Is there anything you care to tell us about yourself or anything you want to talk about? We're in a bit of a slump lately if you haven't noticed. n3n;
        __________________

        #077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
        Fire ~ Field eggs
        3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

        Its hooves are 10 times harder
        than diamonds. It can trample
        anything completely flat in moments.

        Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
        Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
        Locations: Pokémon Mansion

        Cry

        Other names:

        jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
        de: Ponita
        fr: Ponyta
        cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


          #1668    
        Old December 14th, 2011 (2:24 PM).
        Railgun's Avatar
        Railgun Railgun is offline
        Ever Day Another New Adventure
           
          Join Date: Dec 2011
          Location: Newton
          Age: 28
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Quiet
          Posts: 432
          I'm trans I date anyone. I really don't care about gender but more about if we share the same interests. I also plan to do an abridged series but want to take my time with scripts so there good and not bad like a lot of the ones stealing from LK or TFS. I'm also into Never Shout Never kind of music. :) Should be a fun group.
          __________________
            #1669    
          Old December 14th, 2011 (2:48 PM).
          Alakazam17's Avatar
          Alakazam17 Alakazam17 is offline
          Hei minun ystäväni!
           
          Join Date: Sep 2005
          Location: Canada
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Quirky
          Posts: 5,634
          Hello Ashley, and welcome to the club! =D

          Oh, what are you doing an abridged series of? Pokémon, I presume?
          __________________
            #1670    
          Old December 14th, 2011 (2:53 PM).
          Kayges's Avatar
          Kayges Kayges is offline
          Ebb & Flow
             
            Join Date: Dec 2011
            Location: USA
            Age: 24
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 139
            Hello everyone.

            I'm quite new to the community. Trying to feel my way around the forums here, but I'd definitely like to be a part of this group, if you would have me.
              #1671    
            Old December 14th, 2011 (2:55 PM). Edited December 14th, 2011 by Shining Raichu.
            Shining Raichu's Avatar
            Shining Raichu Shining Raichu is offline
            Expect me like you expect Jesus.
             
            Join Date: Feb 2011
            Location: Australia
            Age: 27
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Adamant
            Posts: 8,990
            AAAAAAAAAA. I get distracted for one day and that's the day everybody decides to be active and give me a ton of stuff to read D:. I hate love you guys XD.

            Okay first up, welcome AshleyKetchum! Your name has been added to the list :D

            Now, on the subject of flaunting: for me, it depends on how you flaunt your sexuality. For the people like Sydian mentioned, that is annoying as Hell. You do not need to mention it in every sentence you speak. For me, that sets across the message that being gay is the most important thing about who you are, which is really what we're trying to avoid as a community. I've been guilty of this myself however, to an extent. It was more out of constantly being put in the position where I had an opportunity to make a joke at the expense of me being gay than the need to constantly bring it up - if there's one thing I find it very hard to do, it's pass up the opportunity to make a joke lol. And it wasn't until someone (another gay guy actually) brought it up that I realised just how often I was doing it... so yeah then I stopped lol.

            As for PDA, gay or straight, I honestly don't care. If you want to have a makeout session and back yourself up against a doorknob it's no skin off my back. It doesn't make me uncomfortable in the slightest lol. Pretty much as long as genitals don't become visible, I'm good.

            EDIT: I always do this! I get distracted and take half an hour to write a post and I get ninja'd in the meantime. So WELCOME TO KAYGES ALSO :D we would love to have you! I shall add your name into the list now!
            __________________
            Moderator of General Chat
              #1672    
            Old December 14th, 2011 (3:30 PM).
            Railgun's Avatar
            Railgun Railgun is offline
            Ever Day Another New Adventure
               
              Join Date: Dec 2011
              Location: Newton
              Age: 28
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Quiet
              Posts: 432
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Alakazam17 View Post
              Hello Ashley, and welcome to the club! =D

              Oh, what are you doing an abridged series of? Pokémon, I presume?
              The advanced series. Its my fav :)
              __________________
                #1673    
              Old December 14th, 2011 (3:30 PM).
              Kayges's Avatar
              Kayges Kayges is offline
              Ebb & Flow
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2011
                Location: USA
                Age: 24
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 139
                Hey, thanks for the amusing welcome Raichu, haha. One day here and I'm already a ninja. I can relate, though, because I tend to think too much about how I'm going to type something out plus the distractions. I'm an easy target for ninjas.

                Either way, I'm not up to pace with what the conversation is about, if there is one anymore, but I'm sure I'll have an opinion on whatever comes up. It feels good to have my name on part of an official list, though. =)
                  #1674    
                Old December 14th, 2011 (3:41 PM).
                Alakazam17's Avatar
                Alakazam17 Alakazam17 is offline
                Hei minun ystäväni!
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2005
                Location: Canada
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Quirky
                Posts: 5,634
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Shining Raichu
                if there's one thing I find it very hard to do, it's pass up the opportunity to make a joke lol.
                That is sooo like me, xD. Though I don't make them about my sexuality/identity because I'm still in the dark about that, I still do it about pretty much everything else.

                Also, welcome to the club, and to the community, Kayges! I hope you enjoy your stay here! :D
                __________________
                  #1675    
                Old December 14th, 2011 (4:00 PM).
                -Jared-'s Avatar
                -Jared- -Jared- is offline
                Certified Responsible Adult
                 
                Join Date: Mar 2009
                Location: Northern California
                Age: 27
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Gentle
                Posts: 1,820
                I'd like to throw in my welcomes to our new members as well; Kayges and AshleyKetchum, welcome to the club! :3 I hope you enjoy yourselves here!


                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Alakazam17 View Post
                That is sooo like me, xD. Though I don't make them about my sexuality/identity because I'm still in the dark about that, I still do it about pretty much everything else.
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Shining Raichu View Post
                Now, on the subject of flaunting: for me, it depends on how you flaunt your sexuality. For the people like Sydian mentioned, that is annoying as Hell. You do not need to mention it in every sentence you speak. For me, that sets across the message that being gay is the most important thing about who you are, which is really what we're trying to avoid as a community. I've been guilty of this myself however, to an extent. It was more out of constantly being put in the position where I had an opportunity to make a joke at the expense of me being gay than the need to constantly bring it up - if there's one thing I find it very hard to do, it's pass up the opportunity to make a joke lol. And it wasn't until someone (another gay guy actually) brought it up that I realized just how often I was doing it... so yeah then I stopped lol.
                I do that as well, just minus sexuality. xD And when I do come out, I might end up doing it with that as well, but I don't think I'll have many opportunities to do that. xD
                __________________
                 

                Quick Reply

                Join the conversation!

                Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                Create a PokéCommunity Account
                Thread Tools

                Posting Rules
                You may not post new threads
                You may not post replies
                You may not post attachments
                You may not edit your posts

                BB code is On
                Smilies are On
                [IMG] code is On
                HTML code is Off

                Forum Jump


                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:10 AM.