• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I'm already far into hacking it, so I can't just quit it.
And I was playing it 4 awhle before it stopped, so it must have crashed.
It may be bcuz it's emerald...

yes, Emerald is an unstable ROM to hack.
if I can recall correctly, you can recover your ROM through hex, but of course, I never tried it. :\

I think thethethethe knows about it.

NTA

Where?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 10, 2012

what about patching it to a clean rom?

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
Years

Yea, you can change it in hex like time said, but I have no idea how. I know your far into hacking it, but that's why YOU NEED TO MAKE BACKUPS!

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Yea, you can change it in hex like time said, but I have no idea how. I know your far into hacking it, but that's why YOU NEED TO MAKE BACKUPS!
Aahhh, that would be quite difficult... You would have to know exactly what bytes you changed.

This is how I would go about it:
1) Open a clean rom of emerald and your hacked emerald in a hex editor.
2) Copy chunks of data from the clean rom to the hacked one.
3) Use common sense and trial and error.

It may be easier just to start again.

Hat?

Banned
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2008
Like dshayabusa said, it might be easier to start again, you can also dump some stuff like GFX/text/scripts/maps etc from the hacked ROM that crashes, then insert the data into the new one, just don't overwrite other code/data (that you want to keep anyway).

You should also check that the ROM is clean first, and before you try something you haven't done before, it's best to use a seperate ROM just in case it goes dodgy and you can't reverse the changes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2011
Change Sprite (not edit)

Hi!
I was wondering how would I change a Pokemon's sprite to another image. I don't want to edit the image, but instead, I want to point to another image that's in another location.
I have the offsets I want and the pallet too, but I need the tool.
Thanks in advance!

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
Hi!
I was wondering how would I change a Pokemon's sprite to another image. I don't want to edit the image, but instead, I want to point to another image that's in another location.
I have the offsets I want and the pallet too, but I need the tool.
Thanks in advance!
Well, you can simply use UnLZ-GBA, but it depends on what you want to do with the sprite.
Like, for example, scripting and using Advance Map.

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2011
I don't think I explained myself properly.
I inserted code into the game to make my own pokemon. I've got everything right. I can even catch and level him up and teach him HM's and whatever. But, there aren't blank spaces for new pokemon sprites to go into. I don't want to replace another pokemon's sprite, I just want to point the pokemon's sprite location to a certain tile offset and pallet.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
I don't think I explained myself properly.
I inserted code into the game to make my own pokemon. I've got everything right. I can even catch and level him up and teach him HM's and whatever. But, there aren't blank spaces for new pokemon sprites to go into. I don't want to replace another pokemon's sprite, I just want to point the pokemon's sprite location to a certain tile offset and pallet.
May I ask why you need to do this?

If I'm thinking what you are thinking, there are probably many ways to do this more simply.
But, I'm just guessing what you are asking, as I need to know why you could possibly be doing this.

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2011
May I ask why you need to do this?

If I'm thinking what you are thinking, there are probably many ways to do this more simply.
But, I'm just guessing what you are asking, as I need to know why you could possibly be doing this.

I want to still retain the ability to trade and get all the official pokemon and be able to insert 2 new one I'm making into the game.
I've done everything already except their pictures. I don't want to point the pokemon's data to a picture in another location.

Lady Berlitz

Cinnamon ♪
Years
I want to still retain the ability to trade and get all the official pokemon and be able to insert 2 new one I'm making into the game.
I've done everything already except their pictures. I don't want to point the pokemon's data to a picture in another location.
Actually, it IS possible to add a scratch Pokémon sprite, I believe there are 9-25 (forget which) free spaces in a ROM.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
It is possible to insert new pokemon pictures, without overwriting old ones, but i don't think its possible to catch them, only give them away in scripts- there's a useful tutorial here
Yay that's great but does anyone have a program that edits
sprites and works in emerald? Otherwise that tutorial is useless to me.

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2011
It is possible to insert new pokemon pictures, without overwriting old ones, but i don't think its possible to catch them, only give them away in scripts- there's a useful tutorial here
Wow, this is really helpful. I should have this done in like, 2 seconds. And there is a way to insert your own Pokemon into the wild. :P

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
I've been having this problem for a while where the first/second person on a map always ends up at the same place always doing the same thing, like for instance the girl in Pallete Town who always ends up by the original sign. I'm sure someone out there knows how to fix this, o if you do please help. Thanks!

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
I've been having this problem for a while where the first/second person on a map always ends up at the same place always doing the same thing, like for instance the girl in Pallete Town who always ends up by the original sign. I'm sure someone out there knows how to fix this, o if you do please help. Thanks!
It is usually caused by the movesprite2 command in level scripts for maps. The easiest way to fix the problem is to change the people number as movesprite2 works in the following way:
Code:
movesprite2 0x[peopleNumber] 0x[x-pos] 0x[y-pos]
Alternatively you could delete the level script. Level scripts usually contain some important stuff though, setworldmapflag commands for example.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
Cheers dshayabusa, you're my new best friend :D In fact, I will add you as a friend right now if you don't mind. That stupid problem has been bugging me since forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back