• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Kanto Black 2.08 (Sevii Islands Expansion)

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
Discord server for Kanto Black, UHoF, and Zelda hacks: https://discord.gg/8sjzNbFxNK

pokemon_kanto_black_small_by_peetzaahhh2010-d91ggef.png

vPiN10w.png
0rWpiPs.png
C2UHMIJ.png

Mostly unchanged Kanto and Sevii Islands with a few new additions and different Pokemon.

Background​

I thought it would make for an interesting experience playing through Kanto with Unova Pokemon. Interesting really is the best word for this idea by itself, so along with these changes, if the idea itself sounds monotonous, you can be entertained by the many additions to the regions in this hack. Such includes battle facilities (i.e. battle factory equivalent) and small mini-games that net you rare items. Finally, and I would say one of its most salient points, the Pokemon in this hack have far more options available to them in aim to make previously mediocre Pokemon more viable to use--no nerfs whatsoever sans arguably Archeops (no Defeatist (not fun to have), but weaker offensive stats).

Features​

• A world of only 5th and 6th generation Pokemon, the only exception being Eevee. The 5th generation Pokemon are all in Kanto while the 6th generation Pokemon are all in the Sevii islands.
• Many, many move tutor moves. There are probably more move tutor moves than TMs in this hack. They're intended to open up more strategies.
Difficulty rating system. What it does is rate your difficulty according to the settings you have picked. The settings you can toggle are: bosses with EVs and boss strategy levels. For now, it only encompasses bosses, but it is intended to be more expansive in the future.
• In addition to the physical/special split, new generation moves, abilities, and battle items.
Sevii Islands! This time, you could visit them after defeating Lt. Surge! They contain the 6th generation Pokemon.
Battle facilities! I'll just say this: talk to the guy with black and white hair in Celadon Mansion. The other battle facilitity you'll find by unlocking Seven Island.
• Mini-games. Go to the Two Island Game Corner to play them. Later on, you'll be able to use them to EV train quickly.
Working VS Seeker. This time, it charges instantly, so no need to take 100 steps for each battle.
• More, of course. You'll need to play through the hack to discover everything it has to offer.

Media​

Spoiler:

FAQ / Walkthroughs / Important Information​

Stuck somewhere? Looking for an item? Or a Pokemon? Click below.
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=10002538&postcount=536

Misc Information
Spoiler:

Bugs and Oddities
Spoiler:

Releases​

Base: 1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)
Note: Version 0.94 is not compatible with 2.0 and up. You'll have to make a new save file.

Version 2.08 Beta
Date released: October 8th, 2016
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zdpjt58loiiowx8/Pokemon_Kanto_Black_2.08.ips
http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80303&stc=1&d=1475970570
SAVE IN A POKEMON CENTER BEFORE UPDATING TO THIS FROM A 2.0-2.05 VERSION. If you are updating from 2.06 or 2.07, you should be fine.
Changes from 2.07 to 2.08:
Spoiler:

Older releases:
Spoiler:

Credits

MrDollSteak's Decap. & Attack ROM base
The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource
The Quick Development and Research Thread
The Ability Resource Thread
The ASM Resource Thread
The 6th Gen Sprite Resource
ASM – FBI Agent, Doesntknowhowtoplay, Hidoranblaze, daniils, davidjcobb, JPAN (hacked engine), Hackmew, Jambo51 (ASM Resource Center), Hopeless Masquerade, Mastermind_X, Knizz, KDS, Darthatron, kearnseyboy6, azurile13, Sagiri, Spherical Ice, NewDenverCity, jiangzhengwenjzw, DizzyEgg
Overworld sprites – Kymotonian, c2c-A7X, 2and2makes5, , Pokegirl4ever, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, kdiamo11, Chocosrawloid, Sneakertheotter, Pokebook
Cries: Jambo51, Chaos Rush
Exp. box - LeiAlcantara025/Pokemon Addicts
Bug fixes - InfiniteZero, KDS, Tlachtli
Thread logo: BT
If I have forgotten you, let me know. My notes are a mess, so I'll be adding on to this as I compile them.

Attachments

• Pokemon Kanto Black 2.01.ips
    4.9 MB · Views: 223
  • Pokemon Kanto Black 2.02.ips
    4.9 MB · Views: 219
  • Pokemon Kanto Black 2.03 Fix.ips
    4.9 MB · Views: 34
  • Pokemon Kanto Black 2.04.ips
    4.9 MB · Views: 65
  • Pokemon Kanto Black 2.05 Fix.ips
    4.9 MB · Views: 57
  • Pokemon Kanto Black 2.06 Fix 2.ips
    5.1 MB · Views: 41
  • Pokemon Kanto Black 2.07 Update.ips
    5.1 MB · Views: 92
  • Pokemon Kanto Black 2.08.ips
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,791
Last edited:

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
What do the stars in the stats screen mean?

The gold stars indicate that the particular stat has an IV of 25+. I am considering adding more stars to better indicate good IVs; for now, it's only going to be gold stars.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2016
This was an amazing experience for someone like me, whom has never played 5th gen. I really enjoyed this ROM hack and found that the level curves were reasonable as I never had to grind for one particular area other than the Elite 4, and the gym leaders were quite difficult, specifically Sabrina. Plus it was cool that the TMs were yellow colored; made it all the easier collecting all 50 of 'em. The only two things that I would like to see is : more variety in fishing, 99% of the time it's a Basculin. I would additionally prefer if gym leaders had a full set of six pokemon, from Brock to Giovanni, just something I've been accustomed to from other hacks. Other than that, this was a very good ROM hack, cheers~

Edit; I think it would be better if the trade evolution items were available sooner.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
Great hack, really gives a new feeling on FR :)
There's an oddity on growth though, it always rise sharply attack/sp attack wich makes it overpowered

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
Thanks looks interesting! Time for another nuzlocke!

Let me know how that goes. :3

This was an amazing experience for someone like me, whom has never played 5th gen. I really enjoyed this ROM hack and found that the level curves were reasonable as I never had to grind for one particular area other than the Elite 4, and the gym leaders were quite difficult, specifically Sabrina. Plus it was cool that the TMs were yellow colored; made it all the easier collecting all 50 of 'em. The only two things that I would like to see is : more variety in fishing, 99% of the time it's a Basculin. I would additionally prefer if gym leaders had a full set of six pokemon, from Brock to Giovanni, just something I've been accustomed to from other hacks. Other than that, this was a very good ROM hack, cheers~

Edit; I think it would be better if the trade evolution items were available sooner.

Thanks! I have invested quite the time into making the gym leaders reasonably difficult.

I'll definitely be doing that for the next update. I guess, at the time, I couldn't think of anymore Pokemon other than Basculin :)

Gym leader's having 6 Pokemon is a good suggestion, though it would entail many repeated Pokemon due to my Unova only limit for the main quest. I might do that if I decide to add a more difficult mode.

I'll be considering that, due to Pokemon like Karrablast and Shelmet being a little difficult to use during the mid game.

Great hack, really gives a new feeling on FR :)
There's an oddity on growth though, it always rise sharply attack/sp attack wich makes it overpowered

Ah, good catch. That shall be corrected in the next update. Thank you!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
By the way, since you're using MrDollSteak's Patch, you should fix the substitute and snow warning problems.

To fix sub' : Go to 0x90C320 and insert : 58 20 10 4B 1B 78 58 43 0C 18 20 34 20 78 06 B4 66 28 14 D0 00 21 0C 4B 1B 88 0C 48 0C 4A 4C 00 A4 18 24 88 A3 42 0A D0 84 42 01 D0 01 31 F6 E7 06 BC 58 20 50 43 50 31 40 18 06 49 08 47 06 BC 05 48 00 47 6B 3D 02 02 4A 3D 02 02 FF FF 00 00 00 48 90 08 D9 F5 01 08 29 F6 01 08 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 58 20 10 4B 1B 78 58 43 0C 18 20 34 20 78 06 B4 66 28 14 D0 00 21 0C 4B 1B 88 0C 48 0C 4A 4C 00 A4 18 24 88 A3 42 0A D0 84 42 01 D0 01 31 F6 E7 06 BC 58 20 50 43 50 31 40 18 06 49 08 47 06 BC 05 48 00 47 6B 3D 02 02 4A 3D 02 02 FF FF 00 00 00 48 90 08 ED F6 01 08 E9 F7 01 08 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF (Credit to KDS).

To fix snow warning : Go to the offset 0x909AF5 and replace FD 1B FE with FD 1A FE (Credit to InfiniteZero).

Fix found in MrDollSteak's RomBase thread.

Oh and there's also ability fix in the ability resource thread but every time I try to insert ability it doesn't work, so you'll have to do this yourself x)

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
I am going to play this, considering that I really liked Gen 5 and the amount of hacks with this many features aren't very common. I'll probably leave more thoughts at a later date when I play the game, however.

Judging from what I do see, however, it looks really polished and cool and stuff. Nice work.

tudou

also: Datudou, Cyanyans
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
Ok, i'm back with some feedback:

Drilbur doesn't evolve at level 31 as it is supposed to, but by moon stone. Is this intentional? This does give the player the opportunity to have something with 135 attack before the 2nd gym, so it should probably be changed to level up anyways.

Herdier learns Take Down, a 90 power STAB attack, way too early, although this occurs in official Pokemon games. It's also bulky enough to avoid the 2 hit KO from most of the Pokemon you can get at the time. I think you should reduce the amount of Herdiers that Trainers have around the Vermillion City part of the game. The Watchogs and Liepards in that part could also be problematic to some players as well, but maybe it was just me, as at that point my only evolved Pokemon was a Dewott.

Giovanni's last Pokemon at the Rocket Hideout is a bit overleveled. He has a level 36, while my party was floating around levels 28 to 32, and his other two Pokemon are 31 and 32 respectively. I lucked out because it missed a metal claw and it died to a +3 brick break, but if it didn't miss, it would be very problematic.

One more thought: You might want to lower the levels some of the Pokemon evolve at. The worst offenders of Unova's late evolution trend are probably the ones that evolve in the 50s. Meinfoo, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, and Deino should evolve around late 30s or early 40s, Larvesta maybe late 40s, and Zweilous in the 50s. At least that's what I think.

That's all the thoughts I have for now, as I have just finished Rocket Hideout.

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
4V7cQb3.png
6dfGv4W.png
2vTaToc.png

Version 0.91 is up. The changes are as follows:
Spoiler:

By the way, since you're using MrDollSteak's Patch, you should fix the substitute and snow warning problems.

To fix sub' : Go to 0x90C320 and insert : 58 20 10 4B 1B 78 58 43 0C 18 20 34 20 78 06 B4 66 28 14 D0 00 21 0C 4B 1B 88 0C 48 0C 4A 4C 00 A4 18 24 88 A3 42 0A D0 84 42 01 D0 01 31 F6 E7 06 BC 58 20 50 43 50 31 40 18 06 49 08 47 06 BC 05 48 00 47 6B 3D 02 02 4A 3D 02 02 FF FF 00 00 00 48 90 08 D9 F5 01 08 29 F6 01 08 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 58 20 10 4B 1B 78 58 43 0C 18 20 34 20 78 06 B4 66 28 14 D0 00 21 0C 4B 1B 88 0C 48 0C 4A 4C 00 A4 18 24 88 A3 42 0A D0 84 42 01 D0 01 31 F6 E7 06 BC 58 20 50 43 50 31 40 18 06 49 08 47 06 BC 05 48 00 47 6B 3D 02 02 4A 3D 02 02 FF FF 00 00 00 48 90 08 ED F6 01 08 E9 F7 01 08 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF (Credit to KDS).

To fix snow warning : Go to the offset 0x909AF5 and replace FD 1B FE with FD 1A FE (Credit to InfiniteZero).

Fix found in MrDollSteak's RomBase thread.

Oh and there's also ability fix in the ability resource thread but every time I try to insert ability it doesn't work, so you'll have to do this yourself x)

Thank you. Subsitute and Snow Warning have been fixed. I might attempt to add the abilities in that thread later. Mold Breaker and Sacred Sword are pretty enticing. :3

Ok, i'm back with some feedback:

Drilbur doesn't evolve at level 31 as it is supposed to, but by moon stone. Is this intentional? This does give the player the opportunity to have something with 135 attack before the 2nd gym, so it should probably be changed to level up anyways.

Herdier learns Take Down, a 90 power STAB attack, way too early, although this occurs in official Pokemon games. It's also bulky enough to avoid the 2 hit KO from most of the Pokemon you can get at the time. I think you should reduce the amount of Herdiers that Trainers have around the Vermillion City part of the game. The Watchogs and Liepards in that part could also be problematic to some players as well, but maybe it was just me, as at that point my only evolved Pokemon was a Dewott.

Giovanni's last Pokemon at the Rocket Hideout is a bit overleveled. He has a level 36, while my party was floating around levels 28 to 32, and his other two Pokemon are 31 and 32 respectively. I lucked out because it missed a metal claw and it died to a +3 brick break, but if it didn't miss, it would be very problematic.

One more thought: You might want to lower the levels some of the Pokemon evolve at. The worst offenders of Unova's late evolution trend are probably the ones that evolve in the 50s. Meinfoo, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, and Deino should evolve around late 30s or early 40s, Larvesta maybe late 40s, and Zweilous in the 50s. At least that's what I think.

That's all the thoughts I have for now, as I have just finished Rocket Hideout.

Drilbur evolving via Moon Stone was definitely not intentional. It's fixed now. :)

I do agree that Take Down is a bit overpowered and very annoying to deal with at that point of the game, especially with STAB. Herdier now learns Take Down later (level 24), but now learns Crunch at level 15. It's much weaker than Take Down with STAB and not much stronger than a move it learns earlier (Bite).

The Excadrill has had its level reduced by 2. :)

Meinfoo, Pawniard, Rufflet, Vullaby, and Deino now evolve earlier. It should be 10-15 levels from the levels they can be caught. I am going to leave Zweilous and Larvesta the same -- their evolutions are some of the most powerful Pokemon in the 5th generation. The way I see it, they are supposed to be a pain to train, but very rewarding once evolved.

Thank you for your suggestions. Most of them have been applied to version 0.91.

Have you done any stat or type changes to any of the pokemon?

I believe I did tweak a bit of their stats in the very beginning. Only the weaker Pokemon. None of the Pokemon have intentional type changes. The Cottonee line uses their 6th generation type (Grass/Fairy).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2016
I think it would be a cool idea to add Red as a final opponent; hidden somewhere after having beaten the Elite 4.

Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
Well, it makes very interesting. I'm very curious how you modify a "Sevii Islands" quest I and II. You will try change that Ruby and Sapphire on DarkStone/Root of Life (Xerneas) and LightStone/ Coccon of Destruction (Yvetal) respectively, and add a item connected with Zygarde? You know, I don't mean add a lot Kalos Pokemon in Sevii, but only 3 legends of Kalos. Just for curiosity I ask.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2016
I found a description bug for the move Torment; The user emits a powerful, dark aura. It may make the target flinch.

Which it's the description for, what I'm guessing, dark pulse or something. The move in itself works as normally as far as I can notice; being Torment.

Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2023
Congrats! Linear yet awesome game with functional advanced mechanics (this at a time when the section was getting filled with broken Emerald/Fire Red roms desguised as sideshow hacks). One question though: does this only have 5th gen mons? Cause I'd love to have a Lucario in my team :P

Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Btw when Gurdurr evolve? I want a Conkeldurr so badly, lol.

Nice hack man, congrats. Something interesting for a change.

Talking about leveling is there any Lucky egg in the game, or just train old school?

Thanks in advance.

Ps: Where i can find a Dawn stone? Whismicott is so needed at this point.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Just downloaded the hack and I'm going to start playing now, but it seems pretty promising! Definitely looking forward for the second quest too, though. Gen 5 and Gen 6 have some of my favorite Pokemon.
A question, though: do we get a ditto at any point to help with breeding?

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
I think it would be a cool idea to add Red as a final opponent; hidden somewhere after having beaten the Elite 4.

Playing as Red is better. :P
As for final opponents, maybe the protagonist of Black & White; like Red, they are known to be masters of their generation. Ideally, after the second quest, much like GSC. At this time, though, I would rather not add any stronger opponents.

Well, it makes very interesting. I'm very curious how you modify a "Sevii Islands" quest I and II. You will try change that Ruby and Sapphire on DarkStone/Root of Life (Xerneas) and LightStone/ Coccon of Destruction (Yvetal) respectively, and add a item connected with Zygarde? You know, I don't mean add a lot Kalos Pokemon in Sevii, but only 3 legends of Kalos. Just for curiosity I ask.

If I do decide to complete the Sevii Island's quest, all 6th generation legendaries will be in, including Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion (which I could see resting on Mt. Ember in Moltres' place). That certainly is an interesting idea, since the two legendaries move energy around. It seems fitting.

I found a description bug for the move Torment; The user emits a powerful, dark aura. It may make the target flinch.

Which it's the description for, what I'm guessing, dark pulse or something. The move in itself works as normally as far as I can notice; being Torment.

Yeah, it certainly is Dark Pulse. I shall get to correcting that soon. Thank you!

Congrats! Linear yet awesome game with functional advanced mechanics (this at a time when the section was getting filled with broken Emerald/Fire Red roms desguised as sideshow hacks). One question though: does this only have 5th gen mons? Cause I'd love to have a Lucario in my team :P

Thank you. :)
As of right now, it is only 5th generation Pokemon. I have no plans of adding any Pokemon from prior generations except for maybe Ditto for breeding reasons.

Btw when Gurdurr evolve? I want a Conkeldurr so badly, lol.

Nice hack man, congrats. Something interesting for a change.

Talking about leveling is there any Lucky egg in the game, or just train old school?

Thanks in advance.

Ps: Where i can find a Dawn stone? Whismicott is so needed at this point.

Thank you!
Gurdurr, as well as other trade evolutions, evolve by use of the Trade Stone. A second stone merchant that sells that stone, as well as a few others, can be found in Saffron City, in front of the Poke Mart after you have defeated Team Rocket.

The Lucky Egg can be obtained after you defeat Team Rocket at Silph Co. Talk to the president's secretary for it.

The Dawn Stone, as well as a few others, can be bought at the Celadon department store.

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
Just downloaded the hack and I'm going to start playing now, but it seems pretty promising! Definitely looking forward for the second quest too, though. Gen 5 and Gen 6 have some of my favorite Pokemon.
A question, though: do we get a ditto at any point to help with breeding?

Breeding is still in the same place as vanilla Firered -- Four Island. It's inaccessible in the current version. Once that is moved around, I'll definitely be adding Ditto to facilitate breeding.

Back