• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Questions about Ash Ketchum for My Story Ideas

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
I have some Questions about Ash Ketchum that I would like you to Help me Answer for my Story Ideas, okay?
  • What would Ash Ketchum's thoughts be about Slavery?
  • What would Ash Ketchum's thoughts be about weapons of extremely devastating power like The Death Star or StarKiller Base?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bay

Years
Hi there! So, I went and moved the thread to the Writer's Lounge since the main section is for posting your stories with the Writer's Lounge is discussing ideas and writing in general. You probably noticed that I removed the links you provided and main reason for that is it would come off as advertising. I'll at least still have the questions there for those in the forums willing to help out !

Now, to answer your questions:

>For the first question, you mean real world slavery or Pokemon slavery? If the former, is there a reason why slavery is being brought up? If the latter, I would ask same thing although that might be easier to answer and discuss than real life slavery. Depending what you mean by Pokemon slavery Ash most likely won't like it since it's been shown many times he wants to be friends with them.

>For second question, I think there are several examples of him not liking the idea of weapons of that magnitude (several movies and XYZ anime's Team Flare arc ending comes to mind).

I admit, those are odd questions for a story of yours, but hey I hope this is helpful at least!

Unown Seer

Earnest
Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2020
I think you might want to consider veering away from Ash for this type of story. I don't think his contribution to such a dark plot would be all that interesting; he would just rush into action without thinking about the situation too much.

lv255

! צדק צדק תרדוף
Years
^ Agreed. A story with that dark of a narrative wouldn't really suit Ash. Not to say he can't be involved in darker narratives, but the dark narratives that would be able to fit him probably wouldn't be that uh, adult ? With darker, more realistic themes, it's probably best to use a different main character, lest you end up falling into tryhard territory --- when I was younger, we would write really edgy fic with dark themes but normal protagonists (like Ash and his friends) to try and impress our friends with how Adult we were, but looking back at our stuff now, it was mostly just badly written and embarrassing, lol.

Not to say that a dark story with the normal protagonists can't be handled well, but it's definitely a little difficult if you want to avoid coming off edgy, and with something like slavery or the Death Star, I feel like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to keep him as the protagonist. Do you have an option to change your main character ? With limited knowledge on what you're going for, I can't offer much advice beyond what I've said here, so if you want to let us know just what you're trying to achieve fic-wise, we could probably help more.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
^ Agreed. A story with that dark of a narrative wouldn't really suit Ash. Not to say he can't be involved in darker narratives, but the dark narratives that would be able to fit him probably wouldn't be that uh, adult ? With darker, more realistic themes, it's probably best to use a different main character, lest you end up falling into tryhard territory --- when I was younger, we would write really edgy fic with dark themes but normal protagonists (like Ash and his friends) to try and impress our friends with how Adult we were, but looking back at our stuff now, it was mostly just badly written and embarrassing, lol.

Not to say that a dark story with the normal protagonists can't be handled well, but it's definitely a little difficult if you want to avoid coming off edgy, and with something like slavery or the Death Star, I feel like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to keep him as the protagonist. Do you have an option to change your main character? With limited knowledge on what you're going for, I can't offer much advice beyond what I've said here, so if you want to let us know just what you're trying to achieve fic-wise, we could probably help more.

I'll make it short and sweet...[inhaling & exhaling deeply]..."Pokemon Galaxies!" Which involves Ash Ketchem and (all of) his traveling companions going to another Galaxy to Free all the Planets that under the control of the Most Powerful Evil Organization of all time, Team Shadow," the hard way.

Vragon

I'll make it short and sweet...[inhaling & exhaling deeply]..."Pokemon Galaxies!" Which involves Ash Ketchem and (all of) his traveling companions going to another Galaxy to Free all the Planets that under the control of the Most Powerful Evil Organization of all time, Team Shadow," the hard way.

Um...okay, but that still brings up the problem that would be canon ash's character. I mean, it is possible, but it would take a drastic change in order to pull it off. Though, I can say that it would be an odd scenario considering ash has yet to actually do any space travel and all that (an no that rocket ship episode doesn't count). I mean, maybe a parallel universe thing or more futuristic, but I honestly don't really get things in this.

I mean, not trying to deter your story, but something important to consider about already established characters is that you kinda have to keep them in context. Even if you do make changes to them, you have to explain them well else the audience that is knowledgeable of the character is going to be completely clueless.

Again, the idea is fine, but I concur with Unown Seer and Iv255 that having a different character or someone that would fit the story format would work better. I mean you could keep a happy go lucky character and have a much easier time with writing him due to the flexibility of no pre-establishment.

Just some things to consider and all.

Bay

Years
So you're writing a Pokemon version of Star Wars? While that does sound like it could be a cool idea, the other people already mentioned Ash probably isn't the best candidate for that. What I'm worried most is you run Ash's personality moreso like one of the Star War protagonists instead of Ash himself. Why you think Ash is a good candidate for this type of story?

Also if I'm going to be honest, I think the "Ash going against the most evil team ever" has been done to death. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though since it's all in the execution, just that you'll need to work hard to make this work.

Edit: Vragon beat me to it, lol. However, I want to point out something real quick:

Um...okay, but that still brings up the problem that would be canon ash's character. I mean, it is possible, but it would take a drastic change in order to pull it off. Though, I can say that it would be an odd scenario considering ash has yet to actually do any space travel and all that (an no that rocket ship episode doesn't count). I mean, maybe a parallel universe thing or more futuristic, but I honestly don't really get things in this.

Actually Ash did some space travel, kind of. He and his group of friends did something similar to Ultra Space travel in the Sun/Moon anime and went to one of the planets with the Ultra Beasts. This is different than the scenario being discussed here though haha.

Last edited:

Vragon

Also if I'm going to be honest, I think the "Ash going against the most evil team ever" has been done to death. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though since it's all in the execution, just that you'll need to work hard to make this work.

Yeah, and that's probably my main concern. It would be a very arduous process in trying to tie it in, not to mention Ash would have to be pretty powerful to fight a team that's enslaved many a planet.
Edit: Vragon beat me to it, lol
Finally! I have beaten the Bay of Alexion to the punch of the Cosmic proportions that even his baldness One Punch man would drop his sealed jaw in awe and dismay!

Actually Ash did some space travel, kind of. He and his group of friends did something similar to Ultra Space travel in the Sun/Moon anime and went to one of the planets with the Ultra Beasts. This is different than the scenario being discussed here though haha.

I mean yeah but we're talking about space outside the atmosphere. Ultra Space is more of dimensional rifts and travels to another universe/dimension space. Technicality perhaps, but I was more or less talking about space travel to space outside since the topic was galaxies. But thanks for pointing that out since I need to catch up on the Sun and Moon anime.

lv255

! צדק צדק תרדוף
Years
The main concern here seems to be how Ash (and the plot) are going to seem believable in this case. A good fic has you nodding along, hopefully immersed in it, because it makes sense that the characters and the plot would go this way. So I feel like in something like this, your main problem would be keeping Ash IC while still writing a story that keeps the level of gravity (heh ... space pun) that you would need for a fic involving heavy topics like slavery and the Death Star.

Something I've found to work better is if you age up the protagonists. Ash at, say, twenty-five years old would handle the issue a lot better than ten-year-old Ash. He's seen a lot, been through a lot, and it's probably taken off a good chunk of the Childish Optimism he has as a character in the current series. The thing about the current series is that it's written for children (even though we can enjoy it, of course) and because of it, Ash is a child as well. Easier to relate to. But if you end up aging up characters you can usually write them much more believably in more adult situations. Just make sure that when doing so, if you do decide to do so, he doesn't turn into a totally different character --- for example, he will probably still largely believe in the power of his friends to get him through, but it will be a more serious take on it, and while he will still ultimately be somewhat reckless (he is Ash, after all, and kinda has trouble thinking past the next five minutes half the time, since he's rather short-sighted re: his actions), it's likely he'll understand that his friends and allies spend a lot of time and energy keeping him safe, and so he'd be more careful with what he decides to go ahead and actually do.

Of course, he doesn't have to be an adult. That's just me offering advice. It's what I would do if I was tackling this story, in order to give Ash an actual, adult opinion about slavery and the Death Star, instead of trying to figure out how to make a kid react realistically to something that, for all intents and purposes, would be fairly traumatizing to a kid. But in the same vein, Ash has literally died before (multiple times, iirc) and been just fine, so I feel like it's mostly a question of how realistic you want your story to come off, and how invested/immersed in it you want your audience to be.

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
Ash Ketchum would be in his Teens by the time the story arc begins and will be an Adult by the time the arc ends because they'll be living that other galaxy for around 10 years.

P.S. Team Shadow is so powerful that even the leader of Team Rocket fears them because just one member of Team Shadow can take down every single member of Team Rocket in a Heartbeat. Not literally but you know what I mean right? Here's a Taste of what they're capable of; Unfortunately, you're going to have to use your imagination while you're watching this video because it's all I can scrounge up since I don't have the technology to create Animated Videos, so just replace Darth Sidious with the Leader of Team Shadow. okay?

Last edited:

Vragon

Ash Ketchum would be in his Teens by the time the story arc begins and will be an Adult by the time the arc ends because they'll be living that other galaxy for around 10 years.

P.S. Team Shadow is so powerful that even the leader of Team Rocket fears them because just one member of Team Shadow can take down every single member of Team Rocket in a Heartbeat. Not literally but you know what I mean right? Here's a Taste of what they're capable of; Unfortunately, you're going to have to use your imagination while you're watching this video because it's all I can scrounge up since I don't have the technology to create Animated Videos, so just replace Darth Sidious with the Leader of Team Shadow. okay?

Wait, so Team Rocket fear them despite Team Shadow being in another galaxy? I mean, call me slow, but that honestly is problematic in a way. Like, if Team Rocket knows of them, then others should as well (secret police etc.). Now, again I'm not saying you can't make this work, but if Team Shadow is a bunch of humans that control another galaxy and Team Rocket is somehow aware of their existence and is scared (implying they know what they are capable of) then I have to say that it's going to take a bit of explaining to make it all work.

Ash being in his teens at the beginning of the arc is fine, but keep in mind any development from his 10 year old boy self that is relevant to how he acts now needs to be touched upon, as well as morphing him as this goes along.

Also I'll put this under spoilers for the leader,

Spoiler:

Overall, be careful not to go out of bounds in the universe without explaining why you can in the first place. Otherwise, I'll the flag of "Continuity and impractical" will be thrown. Also, is this going to be a long running fic, just curious?

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
Wait, so Team Rocket fear them despite Team Shadow being in another galaxy? I mean, call me slow, but that honestly is problematic in a way. Like, if Team Rocket knows of them, then others should as well (secret police etc.). Now, again I'm not saying you can't make this work, but if Team Shadow is a bunch of humans that control another galaxy and Team Rocket is somehow aware of their existence and is scared (implying they know what they are capable of) then I have to say that it's going to take a bit of explaining to make it all work.

Ash being in his teens at the beginning of the arc is fine, but keep in mind any development from his 10 year old boy self that is relevant to how he acts now needs to be touched upon, as well as morphing him as this goes along.

Also I'll put this under spoilers for the leader,

Spoiler:

Overall, be careful not to go out of bounds in the universe without explaining why you can in the first place. Otherwise, I'll the flag of "Continuity and impractical" will be thrown. Also, is this going to be a long running fic, just curious?

No, there Home Planet is Earth (the same planet that Ash Ketchum lives on) but their getting materials from the planets that they control in another Galaxy to help them conquer the Earth. Afterall, they have been planning this for a 1,000 years.

It's not easy for me to explain all this since I'm Autistic, so please, cut me some slack, okay?

Last edited:

Vragon

No, there Home Planet is Earth (the same planet that Ash Ketchum lives on) but their getting materials from the planets that they control in another Galaxy to help them conquer the Earth. Afterall, they have been planning this for a 1,000 years.

It's not easy for me to explain all this since I'm Autistic, so please, cut me some slack, okay?

My main and practically only point is, be sure to explain well. I can get you can't write everything here and I wouldn't want you to. I'm just giving suggestions on what you've given, but ultimately this is your work. However, again I would advise making sure continuity and stuff works, and that it makes sense.

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
My main and practically only point is, be sure to explain well. I can get you can't write everything here and I wouldn't want you to. I'm just giving suggestions on what you've given, but ultimately this is your work. However, again I would advise making sure continuity and stuff works, and that it makes sense.

That's why I'm asking you all for help.

P.S. Check these out when you get the chance, okay?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
This Video will kind of explain how Team Shadow conquered the regions of Sinnoh, Alola, and Jurasia after all it's almost similar.

Last edited:

Vragon

I'd rather read what you have to say about it or in your own words, personally.

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
I'd rather read what you have to say about it or in your own words, personally.
That won't be easy for me to do since I have Autism and School, but I'll see what I can do, okay

P.S. Just like how Palpatine turned Anakin Skywalker to The Dark Side and became Darth Vader in Star Wars, Team Shadow turns Dawn's Piplup to The Dark Side and became Piplux in Pokemon.

Bay

Years
I admit it's been a long while since I watched the Diamond and Pearl series of the anime, but I wonder what's the purpose of/why is Piplup coming to the dark side. I don't know, I don't see it.

To be honest, autism shouldn't hinder you from writing your story in your own words. It seems you have some ideas for your story and we've been giving you pointers/feedback on your plot and characterization, so now all you have to do is get writing that first chapter if you have an outline already!

Vragon

Usually your first draft won't be the prized paper of a story you envision (I speak from experience) That's when others can give you feedback, some reflection over your work, edits, thinking more about the direction and all and you could come up with a well written story. A lot of great stories weren't written in on sitting and while we don't expect the next "Bleak House" it's important to not be afraid to have faults in writing. (I honestly should take my own advice sometime).

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2018
I admit it's been a long while since I watched the Diamond and Pearl series of the anime, but I wonder what's the purpose of/why is Piplup coming to the dark side. I don't know, I don't see it.

To be honest, autism shouldn't hinder you from writing your story in your own words. It seems you have some ideas for your story and we've been giving you pointers/feedback on your plot and characterization, so now all you have to do is get writing that first chapter if you have an outline already!

Well for starters, what most people don't realize is that Dawn's Piplup wasn't born in the Sinnoh Region, but the Jurassia Region, as a "Slave."

Back