Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old November 29th, 2018 (7:32 AM). Edited November 29th, 2018 by Pemderp.
Cosmog Enthusiast

Nature: Quiet
    Do you think autism and disability rights are important or should be brought up?

Personally I think they’re necessary because autism and people with disabilities have such a strong stigma surrounding them. That and the fact the it’s rarely brought up.

Name: Lucky
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old November 29th, 2018 (1:39 PM).
    PC's jacksepticeye enthusiast

Nature: Gentle
      of course

i almost never see them brought up and whenever they are it's usually in a negative light
        #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old December 1st, 2018 (2:28 PM). Edited December 2nd, 2018 by gimmepie.

Nature: Adamant
      Speaking as an autistic person, I think that there's a lot of misinformation out there that needs to be dealt with. Autism exists as a spectrum, and as best I can tell, most of us are higher functioning and it's the smaller number who are totally unable to function.

People also are woefully uneducated as to exactly what autism is. Bad portrayals in media are a big part of that I expect, but there's also just not a lot of education around. Autism is extremely hard to grasp and understand because it is hugely complex. There's a common misconception that autistic people are cognitively impaired, which is usually not the case at all. Then there's things that people just don't know, like how autistic people generally experience greater sensory input and what we do experience can be unusual, which is why we're often uncomfortable with certain kinds of contact or are pickier eaters than most. Then there's the belief that some have that we lack emotions when in reality autistic people tend to be highly emotional and instead struggle to communicate what we feel.

Most of what autistic people need to see change in society just stems from education. We need to be portrayed better and more accurately in media and information about autism (and other disabilities too for that matter) needs to be made more readily available.

If we want people to stop using "autistic" as an insult or to stop assuming we have below-average intelligence or any number of other things, we need to better educate those around us.
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old December 2nd, 2018 (12:02 AM).
      Pearlshipper

Yes, I think so. I am autistic myself and I get annoyed whenever people use the word 'autistic' as an insult.

I think schools should teach kids about autism, so they understand at least a little but about it. Because many teenagers seem to, sadly, think that all autistic people are dumb and dangerous (Even tho this is not true at all)

And I think people should at least understand our sensory problems, without making untrue guesses.

My Pokemon forum : http://tdhf-pokemon.boards.net/

Lady Jirachu is a really good friend of mine, so please be nice to her.

Quick Reply