The Clubhouse Clubs are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests! Join or create a club here and fanaticize like a true fan!

Ad Content

#51   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 26th, 2018 (9:11 AM).
[ alegría ]

Nature: Docile
did somebody mention Marble Hornets

I'd love to join in on the fun (: I find these topics interesting.
  #52   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 28th, 2018 (10:30 AM).
Insert Creative Title Here

Nature: Quirky
    I'm a coaster boy. Most of my fear experiences have been on coasters. However, there's a few moments I'd like to mention.

During the time in Nightmare Before Christmas where the scary toys are released scared me for the first time. I don't know why, but it all looked so creepy.

The Drop-Out slides at Carowinds always scare me every summer when I go to their water park. Partially the heights and partially that the floor falls away beneath you...

Speaking of coasters, I found this video of a Planet Coaster ride.

Name: Spookie

Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
      #53   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old October 28th, 2018 (11:14 AM).
    [ alegría ]

Nature: Docile
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anime Psyclone View Post
    During the time in Nightmare Before Christmas where the scary toys are released scared me for the first time. I don't know why, but it all looked so creepy.[/URL]
    Ooooooh Nightmare Before Christmas. Despite considering it a favorite film of mine, I too have been terrified of one thing in the film. And that's Oogie Boogie.
      #54   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old October 28th, 2018 (12:54 PM).
    Spooky Girl with a Computer

Nature: Careful
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Pudding View Post

I'd love to join in on the fun (: I find these topics interesting.
      Sorry to be a little late, but welcome!

Name: Shade
        #55   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old October 28th, 2018 (3:40 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
      Ahhh, that would be me.

I really do think it was influential for amateur horror media and brought the Operator to higher public awareness which (in hindsight, might not have been such a great thing...) at the time was awesome. Plus we'd never really seen a good found footage series blow up that much since The Blair Witch ten years earlier! I can't say I like what it and its legacy became, but I can't deny that it was a fun ride back in the day. It was also filmed practically in my backyard, haha.

#56   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old November 1st, 2018 (9:02 AM).

First off, I would like to say that I hope that everyone had a great Halloween yesterday. I know I did with enough candy to hold me off until Thanksgiving and good times with friends. Secondly, I have a new question,

Your best friend has never seen a horror film, what do you show them first?

For me, it would have to be The Others. Great buildup, atmosphere and not to spoil it, a twist that definitely caught me off guard when I first watched it.

#57   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old November 1st, 2018 (4:29 PM).

My first pick would be the Silence of the Lambs, hands down.

#58   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old November 2nd, 2018 (3:27 PM).

The Thing
            #59   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 15th, 2018 (7:35 AM). Edited November 15th, 2018 by VisionofMilotic.
          Mother of Dragons

Nature: Gentle
          To answer the topic question I would choose something classic. I would avoid explicit material and go for good storytelling, something that is suspenseful and has mystery. I think if you have that you will always have a good horror film that most people can relate to the situation of. Something like Rear Window or Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

While here I wanted to ask if anyone has seen the 2012 movie Woman in Black? I'd be interested in having a brief discussion about this movie. Since this is the Manor it seemed fitting to bring up a nice haunted house film.

I saw it in theaters when it was released, and liked it enough to purchase a download of it from Amazon to watch again once it was available. Its been years since I have seen it, but I got to enjoy my copy again during Halloween.

After watching it a third time I had some questions about the ending that I wanted to speak with someone else about. Caution, this includes extreme spoilers if you haven't seen it. Turn back while you can!

Spoiler:
          At the end of the movie Jeanette/ the woman in black lures Arthur's son Nathaniel onto the train tracks where he is run over and killed, and so is Arthur is trying to save him.

When I first saw the film I I thought the ending was pretty straightforward. The ghost was still angry. In spite of all that Arthur had done in an effort to appease her restless spirit by recovering the drowned body of her son, she still refused to spare his son and would continue down her murderous path, taking village children.

When I saw it a second time though it sunk in that Arthur and his son Nathaniel did not suffer the same fate as the other children that the woman in black slew. I remembered that Arthur and his child died, and seemed to be headed to the after life with his late wife. However, I didn't fully appreciate the implications of how that was different from what happened to everyone else.

Jeanette previously kept all of the other children with her as ghosts to replace the child she lost. This is emphasized in the final scene when the train that kills Arthur and Nathaniel reflects in the windows faces of the many dead children, all of them are sad and trapped. Yet Arthur and his son are not seperated at death. He is welcomed into the afterlife by his beautiful late wife, and he and their son all reuinted together in a peaceful place.

Though Arthur and Nathaniel died, they kept their souls, having escaped the fate of all of the other children. This made me wonder for a time if the woman in black was actually showing Arthur some mercy since he had paid his respects. He was a sad man, and by dying he was actually free from suffering. He could leave behind all of the stresses of his daily life, return to the loving wife whose death he never got over, and be with his son now at all times.

Seeing this movie a third time though makes me think that my first interpretation was closer. The woman in black still was and would always be a vengeful spirit, killing indiscriminately. No offering would assuage her. I think that she was trying to kill without any regard and add Nathaniel to her collection of children, but was thwarted by the love of Nathaniel's parents. The spirit of Nathaniel's own departed mother was there, and the woman in black was not able to separate the family. Both Nathaniel's mother and father were there to protect him in death, and the three were reunited by love.

How do others feels about this interpretation?

Name: Narcissus

#60   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 19th, 2018 (8:31 PM). Edited November 19th, 2018 by strangerhypno.

Has anyone ever walked alone at night? It's the creepiest feeling, paranormal or not. Realistically you can get mugged, kidnapped or even worse, all veiled in darkness and no one will know... Some boy once ran to me in a hoodie, and I almost got a heart attack but it turns out he just wanted me to take a picture of him and his friends by the stadium. Be careful at night guys.
              #61   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old November 21st, 2018 (12:43 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by strangerhypno View Post
              Has anyone ever walked alone at night? It's the creepiest feeling, paranormal or not. Realistically you can get mugged, kidnapped or even worse, all veiled in darkness and no one will know... Some boy once ran to me in a hoodie, and I almost got a heart attack but it turns out he just wanted me to take a picture of him and his friends by the stadium. Be careful at night guys.
              Same feeling, espically if I'm at a club activity like Game Nights or parties that take place after the main campus is closed (commuter campus). For the record it is only campus security, you and other club members there after hours, so the campus is dead silent all over the place. My campus isn't really haunted (or I don't think it is), but with how quiet it gets, you kind of expect something to happen.

#62   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 21st, 2018 (2:02 PM).
              Mother of Dragons

Nature: Gentle
              Quote:
              Sometimes. Towards the end of semester and at mid terms I would work late on assignments in the computer labs which stayed open all night on campus. When I was finished I took the nidnight stroll back to my dorm. It was solitary, but somehow soothing. I come alive at night

Now my last apartment was in a major business area with restaurants, department stores, doctor's offices, banks, tailors, bakeries, book stores etc. The grocery store was essentially in my front yard, literally just across the street. When I stepped out of the doors of the building all I had to do was cross the street, and there I stood in the shopping center lot. So occasionally in the middle of the night I would pick up a snack like ice cream, and walk right back home. It seemed unnecessary to drive when I was that close. It would just take 2 minutes. It wasn't scary to me. Like I said, for me It can be calming to walk alone night, its quiet, and introspective and helps me clear my head, especially if it is a warm summer night. I also like walks in light spring rain at night.

I happen to have dogs too, and when nature calls sometimes you have got to walk them, even at night. Its not exactly the same, after all your dog provides you with protection and company. But I still get the similar sense of peace walking with them at night.

Name: Narcissus

#63   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 22nd, 2018 (9:37 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by VisionofMilotic View Post
                Sometimes. Towards the end of semester and at mid terms I would work late on assignments in the computer labs which stayed open all night on campus. When I was finished I took the nidnight stroll back to my dorm. It was solitary, but somehow soothing. I come alive at night

Now my last apartment was in a major business area with restaurants, department stores, doctor's offices, banks, tailors, bakeries, book stores etc. The grocery store was essentially in my front yard, literally just across the street. When I stepped out of the doors of the building all I had to do was cross the street, and there I stood in the shopping center lot. So occasionally in the middle of the night I would pick up a snack like ice cream, and walk right back home. It seemed unnecessary to drive when I was that close. It would just take 2 minutes. It wasn't scary to me. Like I said, for me It can be calming to walk alone night, its quiet, and introspective and helps me clear my head, especially if it is a warm summer night. I also like walks in light spring rain at night.

I happen to have dogs too, and when nature calls sometimes you have got to walk them, even at night. Its not exactly the same, after all your dog provides you with protection and company. But I still get the similar sense of peace walking with them at night.
                I guess you have a point there. But in my case, being on your own when the campus is completely silent can be kind of eerie, espically if it's late at night. Probably because I watch too many ghost shows haha.

#64   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old November 28th, 2018 (6:31 PM).

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/plea-resurrect-christmas-tradition-telling-ghost-stories-180967553/?fbclid=IwAR0DCvhrEalwiNOeUBYCVJAoTHJZMWBtgeAdXyxtkpZ6-JV1EulZ05c_oLc Found this on a Facebook group and thought it was interesting. What do you think?

#65   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:26 AM).

First off, Merry Christmas Eve and Christmas Day if I don't post tomorrow. Next, new question for members.

Is The Nightmare Before Christmas a Christmas special, Halloween Special, or both?

Aesthetic would dictate a Halloween Special, but plot would dictate a Christmas Special similar to the Grinch. I guess it would be in the same camp as Die Hard 2 in which it's not a Christmas special but it technically is also.

#66   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old 6 Days Ago (6:50 PM).

Both I suppose. Gives a great excuse for fans to rewatch it again a month after October.

Also has anyone seen any good horror movies lately?
                        #67   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 6 Days Ago (7:56 AM).

That's a really good question, actually. I'd classify it as a "holiday special" rather than attribute it to one or the other. Still, like Hypno said, good excuse to watch it twice during the year! ;)

I actually just finished watching The Gallows and Get Out again. Get Out is so damn good. I'm super hyped for Us. That movie looks really, really badass.

#68   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old 4 Days Ago (6:58 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
                        That's a really good question, actually. I'd classify it as a "holiday special" rather than attribute it to one or the other. Still, like Hypno said, good excuse to watch it twice during the year! ;)

I actually just finished watching The Gallows and Get Out again. Get Out is so damn good. I'm super hyped for Us. That movie looks really, really badass.
                        Did you find The Gallows scary? I haven't watched it yet and it has low reviews.
                          #69   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old 4 Days Ago (9:49 AM).

Quote:
                          Both I suppose. Gives a great excuse for fans to rewatch it again a month after October.

Also has anyone seen any good horror movies lately?
                          Nothing yet, but I do have plans to see the Halloween reboot soon and might take some interest in the La Lorona film that comes out in spring and definitely will watch It: Chapter Two when it's out.

#70   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old 3 Days Ago (2:24 PM).

Quote:
                          Did you find The Gallows scary? I haven't watched it yet and it has low reviews.
                          It has it's moments but it deserves the low reviews. Watch it if you can but don't spend any money on it.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by TheGhostHunter View Post
                          Nothing yet, but I do have plans to see the Halloween reboot soon and might take some interest in the La Lorona film that comes out in spring and definitely will watch It: Chapter Two when it's out.
                          I just got the Halloween reboot in the mail today!! Which is technically a day early since it comes out on DVD tomorrow, hehe. But La Lorona looks really interesting! The whole legend behind her is chilling.

#71   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old 3 Days Ago (7:18 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
                            It has it's moments but it deserves the low reviews. Watch it if you can but don't spend any money on it.

I just got the Halloween reboot in the mail today!! Which is technically a day early since it comes out on DVD tomorrow, hehe. But La Lorona looks really interesting! The whole legend behind her is chilling.
                            The IMDB reviews look pretty meh so far, but it's still a few months away from release, so it could be better, it could be worse.

Quick Reply