Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Ad Content
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old July 30th, 2018 (4:26 PM). Edited July 30th, 2018 by strangerhypno.
strangerhypno's Avatar
strangerhypno strangerhypno is online now
     
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 2,679
    This might be an unpopular opinion but in my experience, it seems to only reinforce narcissism, short attention span and bandwagons and all sorts of other not so great traits. People posting things for likes and attention, celebrities getting worshiped, people mindlessly scrolling through things for cheap entertainment, people replacing news with social media, opinions being regurgitated all over. I asked a guy I knew a few years back why he used social media and he said because everyone else is doing it.

    I'm also talking about the general population so I guess it's to be expected that nothing really thoughtful comes out of social media. I'm not saying it makes you a bad or dumb person, so sorry if it does offend anyone on here that uses it.

    Feel free to counter argue my points or agree or discuss.
    Reply With Quote
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old August 1st, 2018 (4:06 AM).
    peter McLightning peter McLightning is offline
    Banned
       
      Join Date: Sep 2017
      Location: House of richest persons
      Age: 15
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 314
      Your topic is confusing. BTW, my answer is no.
      Reply With Quote
        #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 1st, 2018 (8:17 AM).
      LDSman LDSman is offline
         
        Join Date: Dec 2017
        Posts: 121
        The internet is a mixed bag. People can use it to do great things like fundraising and finding missing persons or it can be tear people down. Part of the issue is the anonymity of the net. Some people do or say things that they wouldnt dare in real life. Social media can allow people to find like minded individuals and not feel so alone or it allows assholes to reinforce negative/destructive behaviors that harm others.
        Reply With Quote
          #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old August 1st, 2018 (11:15 AM).
        Vragon2.0's Avatar
        Vragon2.0 Vragon2.0 is online now
        Say it with me (Vray-gun)
           
          Join Date: Mar 2018
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 187
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
          The internet is a mixed bag. People can use it to do great things like fundraising and finding missing persons or it can be tear people down. Part of the issue is the anonymity of the net. Some people do or say things that they wouldnt dare in real life. Social media can allow people to find like minded individuals and not feel so alone or it allows assholes to reinforce negative/destructive behaviors that harm others.
          There's also the aspect of how it makes things accessible now, and how that's been engrained in our society. Now this isn't a bad thing, hell it's great to get things now and being able to know what's going on right when/as it's going on. The issue that comes with it though is either, jumping the gun or wanting a solution to come or whatnot. Now this also has benefits, but it kinda has affected a lot of patience and all. You see some news put on youtube or a vid "calling out" someone and many people jumping in saying "Yeah, it's true and all" and not too many of them dig more for it. It's like judge, jury and executioner all in a few moments.

          Like many other things, social media is a tool. I think it as a concept and itself isn't a contribution to it as much as it is people (and not all mind you) letting it affect their lives to a point of that. Does it have some affects in society like time stamps and all, perhaps, but at the same time if we're going to say it brings out the worst in us, then we'd need to show that it does. And while it does make it more visual or noticeable, it doesn't really mean people weren't like that to begin with just not as known or well...as quickly done.
          __________________

          “I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before. I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” ~Hidetaka Miyazaki [creator of Bloodborne]
          Reply With Quote
            #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old August 2nd, 2018 (3:10 AM).
          gimmepie's Avatar
          gimmepie gimmepie is offline
           
          Join Date: May 2012
          Location: Australia
          Age: 23
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 18,715
          I'll do a longer post when I have my laptop again but the bottom line is that social media is an amazing communication tool. I would say more than being inherently bad it's a double-edged sword that maximizes all aspects of communication. The issue is that as a society we only started realising just how powerful a tool it was once it was already ingrained in our lives.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old August 2nd, 2018 (6:39 AM).
          LDSman LDSman is offline
             
            Join Date: Dec 2017
            Posts: 121
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
            I'll do a longer post when I have my laptop again but the bottom line is that social media is an amazing communication tool. I would say more than being inherently bad it's a double-edged sword that maximizes all aspects of communication. The issue is that as a society we only started realising just how powerful a tool it was once it was already ingrained in our lives.
            The technology is increasing faster than society and the laws can keep up with.
            Reply With Quote
              #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old August 2nd, 2018 (1:17 PM).
            Marth's Avatar
            Marth Marth is offline
             
            Join Date: Jun 2013
            Location: Canada
            Age: 28
            Nature: Timid
            Posts: 15,287
            Positive:
            You can meet like minded people and make friends
            With more people around, it's easier to find good people to spend time with

            Negative:
            If one spends all their time online and none in the real world, their views become distorted
            The amount of people who see you as just a screen name and not a person
            The ability to form really nasty communities
            __________________


            The sky is falling, seal the borders, heighten the anxiety
            A steady diet of hysteria shapes history
            Reply With Quote
              #8   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old August 6th, 2018 (10:05 AM).
            Trev's Avatar
            Trev Trev is offline
            thank u next bitch
             
            Join Date: May 2012
            Age: 22
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Sassy
            Posts: 1,535
            The issue isn't social media, it's the people using it. Social media as a concept and as it is works fine when used responsibly. The issue is that some people don't use it responsibly and are horrible to others.

            Now, in that same vein, it does raise the question of how we prevent people like this from using social media. And honestly? I couldn't even answer that question because that requires an incredibly complex solution. (Though I wouldn't mind a ban on certain slurs...)
            __________________






            Reply With Quote
              #9   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old August 6th, 2018 (12:01 PM).
            Kai's Avatar
            Kai Kai is offline
            Wayfarer
               
              Join Date: Jul 2017
              Location: Scotland
              Nature: Brave
              Posts: 322
              Social media supports good and bad behavior.
              __________________
              Reply With Quote
                #10   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old August 6th, 2018 (4:32 PM).
              gimmepie's Avatar
              gimmepie gimmepie is offline
               
              Join Date: May 2012
              Location: Australia
              Age: 23
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 18,715
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Kai Ai View Post
              Social media supports good and bad behavior.
              I don't think this is entirely correct. I think it'd be more accurate to say that social media is a neutral technology that magnifies all communication and it does that job very well. It doesn't support any specific kind of behavior at all imo.

              Similar outcome but I feel like it's an important distinction that helps stop us shifting the blame from mukty people's actions onto a third party.
              __________________
              Reply With Quote
                #11   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old August 7th, 2018 (12:28 AM). Edited August 7th, 2018 by curiousnathan.
              curiousnathan's Avatar
              curiousnathan curiousnathan is offline
               
              Join Date: Sep 2009
              Location: Australia
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 7,752
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
              I don't think this is entirely correct. I think it'd be more accurate to say that social media is a neutral technology that magnifies all communication and it does that job very well. It doesn't support any specific kind of behavior at all imo.

              Similar outcome but I feel like it's an important distinction that helps stop us shifting the blame from mukty people's actions onto a third party.
              This is a good point. Social media gives back what we put into it (even if not at the same scale). It gives us the capacity to construct positive and negative environments and propagate them ten, hundred, thousand etc. fold. but I wouldn't say it itself reinforces negative aspects of people.
              Reply With Quote
                #12   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old August 26th, 2018 (6:26 PM).
              CrimsonMajestic's Avatar
              CrimsonMajestic CrimsonMajestic is offline
              From Dusk to Dawn
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2018
                Location: Texas, USA
                Age: 31
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Jolly
                Posts: 147
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
                I don't think this is entirely correct. I think it'd be more accurate to say that social media is a neutral technology that magnifies all communication and it does that job very well.
                Ideally, I agree with that social media merely as a communication tool that has an amplifying effect. However, when developers of these large social media corporations (such as Facebook & Twitter) are skewing their algorithms to prevent so-called fake news from appearing on your news feed, and/or anything that they would consider propaganda not serving their political interests (e.g. Russian propaganda, Trump supporters, conspiracy theory etc.) funny things tend to happen on these platforms which have trickle effects on the large-scale of the society we are living in.

                Heck, the fact that Mark Zuckerberg had to testify in front of Congress regarding the alledged Cambridge Analytica, and not 'Jack' from Twitter is having to testify regarding the alleged targeting of the political right via shadowbanning should speak volumes to this.
                Reply With Quote
                  #13   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old September 2nd, 2018 (2:17 AM).
                LadyJirachu's Avatar
                LadyJirachu LadyJirachu is offline
                Thanks for the pretty av Rainbow x3;
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2004
                Location: Playing with Korrina :3
                Age: 28
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Naive
                Posts: 2,304
                I don't really know how to answer this, due to my hang ups about stereo types, BUT I'LL SAY ONE THING.

                I've met amour shippers on social medias (forums)......who only want to be bullies to me and my friends :/

                So, if social media is effecting anyone badly, at least, amour shipping seems like a culprit for their actions in the process.

                I'd like to think not all amour shippers are awful people though. I don't really understand how liking something like a love pair could even BRING out the worst in people O_o; but the awful behavier does not make me very fond of the pair at all.
                __________________
                ~Number One Korrina Fan Girl~

                I didn't make this but its wonderful and beautiful :3 x3

                Hiyo, i'm Jirachu~<3 Kawaii Pikachu and Jirachi cross, though now my favorite Pokemon character is Korrina; and I crush HARD on her lemme tell ya lol :3
                Jackster is a good friend of mine on this forum so be nice to him please.
                I wanna make other good friends here too ^_^
                Being girly is wonderful!!!!! :D


                Kimi is my big sister and i'm a pokemon fan 4 life :3
                http://thekorrinafanklub.proboards.com/
                Please join my forum :D
                Reply With Quote
                  #14   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old September 2nd, 2018 (2:27 AM). Edited September 2nd, 2018 by Hikanearylup.
                Hikanearylup's Avatar
                Hikanearylup Hikanearylup is offline
                Pearlshipper
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2018
                  Location: England
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 258
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by LadyJirachu View Post
                  I don't really know how to answer this, due to my hang ups about stereo types, BUT I'LL SAY ONE THING.

                  I've met amour shippers on social medias (forums)......who only want to be bullies to me and my friends :/

                  So, if social media is effecting anyone badly, at least, amour shipping seems like a culprit for their actions in the process.

                  I'd like to think not all amour shippers are awful people though. I don't really understand how liking something like a love pair could even BRING out the worst in people O_o; but the awful behavier does not make me very fond of the pair at all.
                  I agree, AmourShippers are so sensitive to the point of being so toxic.
                  A Pokemon XY writer from the dance episode in XYZ, received death threats from Amourshippers, just because Ash and Serena didn't dance.

                  Not all Amourshippers are bad and annoying tho, some are quite nice, I am friends with some.
                  __________________

                  My Pokemon forum : http://tdhf-pokemon.boards.net/



                  Lady Jirachu is a really good friend of mine, so please be nice to her.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #15   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old September 2nd, 2018 (11:04 AM).
                  Vragon2.0's Avatar
                  Vragon2.0 Vragon2.0 is online now
                  Say it with me (Vray-gun)
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2018
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 187
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by LadyJirachu View Post
                    I don't really know how to answer this, due to my hang ups about stereo types, BUT I'LL SAY ONE THING.

                    I've met amour shippers on social medias (forums)......who only want to be bullies to me and my friends :/

                    So, if social media is effecting anyone badly, at least, amour shipping seems like a culprit for their actions in the process.

                    I'd like to think not all amour shippers are awful people though. I don't really understand how liking something like a love pair could even BRING out the worst in people O_o; but the awful behavier does not make me very fond of the pair at all.
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Jacksterhikanearylup 136 View Post
                    I agree, AmourShippers are so sensitive to the point of being so toxic.
                    A Pokemon XY writer from the dance episode in XYZ, received death threats from Amourshippers, just because Ash and Serena didn't dance.

                    Not all Amourshippers are bad and annoying tho, some are quite nice, I am friends with some
                    Okay, but how does that relate to social media being the 'cause for this? I can say that there are people like this, but does that mean social media is reinforcing this nature or just being a tool that's can be used by anyone to talk to others they'll never meet in real life?

                    Social media is more the question, so let me ask you this. Regarding amourshipping, do you think that is aids in them having this immaturish behavior in allowing it to grow in them?
                    __________________

                    “I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before. I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” ~Hidetaka Miyazaki [creator of Bloodborne]
                    Reply With Quote
                      #16   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old September 3rd, 2018 (3:13 AM).
                    Yue Han's Avatar
                    Yue Han Yue Han is online now
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2018
                      Location: Guangzhou
                      Age: 26
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 330
                      I like how the thread title is worded rather than just "Is social media bad?".

                      It definitely enables us to be able to display certain behaviours many people wouldn't otherwise.

                      Social media is amazing. It has made the world more connected than ever before and that, to me, is a good thing. But of course from being so connected at the click of a button some people argue that being so connected online makes real life encounters happen less often and is destroying what it means to be social. It's definitely a valid argument to be sure. Of course you can always make a counter argument and say it has enabled people that are not very good at socialising, or are bound to their abode for long times, for whatever reason to become more social than they ever would have had the chance to before.

                      It allows us to fish for attention from others easier than in the past. No one is going to stand on a podium in the middle of town and make a statement as general as "I had the worst day ever..." and wait for someone to come up to them and ask about it. That kind of behaviour in real life situations would be seen as highly abnormal. Whereas on Facebook or whatever other platform that happens often with certain personality types and isn't a social taboo.

                      It allows us to portray ourselves exactly how we like to the world, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But you do get people that like to exaggerate to a point in which the scale may tip from exaggerated reality to complete fantasy. That's more harmful for them in the long term than anything else.

                      Social media right now is still very young in the grand scheme of things so I'd say it's still too early to be able to make a concrete argument for or against its existence. But with a world constantly becoming more and more connected, the creation of social media, in my opinion, was always going to be an inevitable thing.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #17   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old September 3rd, 2018 (6:33 AM).
                      TheGhostHunter's Avatar
                      TheGhostHunter TheGhostHunter is offline
                      Spooky Girl with a Computer
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2016
                        Location: Lavender Town
                        Age: 19
                        Gender: Female
                        Nature: Careful
                        Posts: 288
                        I believe that there are both pros and cons to social media. For some pros, you can connect with friends and family, share your love for a fandom (as evidenced by this site) and meet new people. For some cons, there is the possibility of hacking (as we have seen in recent years), harassment and trolls.
                        __________________
                        When you're gone who remembers your name? Who Keeps your flame? Who tells your story?


                        Name: Shade
                        Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                        Reply With Quote
                          #18   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old September 3rd, 2018 (7:13 AM).
                        CrimsonMajestic's Avatar
                        CrimsonMajestic CrimsonMajestic is offline
                        From Dusk to Dawn
                           
                          Join Date: Aug 2018
                          Location: Texas, USA
                          Age: 31
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Jolly
                          Posts: 147
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Yue Han View Post
                          I like how the thread title is worded rather than just "Is social media bad?".
                          Indeed; social media does not possess sentience (and morals as a result), despite what some may argue.

                          Quote:
                          It definitely enables us to be able to display certain behaviours many people wouldn't otherwise.
                          I would account this due to not having to physically connect with others when interacting on social media; thus not having to feel each other's vibe, which could serve useful for keeping each other socially account without having to utilize a coercive force such as The State.

                          Quote:
                          Social media is amazing. It has made the world more connected than ever before and that, to me, is a good thing. But of course from being so connected at the click of a button some people argue that being so connected online makes real life encounters happen less often and is destroying what it means to be social. It's definitely a valid argument to be sure. Of course you can always make a counter argument and say it has enabled people that are not very good at socialising, or are bound to their abode for long times, for whatever reason to become more social than they ever would have had the chance to before.
                          I suppose one way put would be that social media can also as a social simulation (like this forum) where those who could be considered inadequate in physical social encounters can practice interacting with others without having to suffer too many consequences (in a more safe environment, if you will). Mind you, this exercise is not limited toward those who would be considered socially retarded. Though, if you use social media to overcompensate lack of real social skills you will most likely atrophy over time, and probably even lash out as if you fall under the autism spectrum disorder gradient.

                          Quote:
                          It allows us to fish for attention from others easier than in the past.
                          In doing so allows us to extend our social boundaries beyond our biological limitations. That is not to say this should "replace our humanity" but rather to supplement it as a tool.

                          Quote:
                          No one is going to stand on a podium in the middle of town and make a statement as general as "I had the worst day ever..." and wait for someone to come up to them and ask about it. That kind of behaviour in real life situations would be seen as highly abnormal. Whereas on Facebook or whatever other platform that happens often with certain personality types and isn't a social taboo.
                          Over time, this could very well be a possibility in reality---hopefully without excessive noise that would imply from ALL CAPPED comments & colored font.

                          Quote:
                          But with a world constantly becoming more and more connected, the creation of social media, in my opinion, was always going to be an inevitable thing.
                          With that, it will prove difficult for central-planners to legislate the idea of increasing (decentralized) connections.
                          __________________
                          3DS Friend Code information
                          Wi-fi Battle Request Info

                          Social Media Handles
                          Discord SirSpur#1123
                          Twitter SirSpur
                          Instagram SirSpur
                          Gab.ai SirSpur
                          Diaspora SirSpur
                          Reply With Quote
                            #19   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old September 3rd, 2018 (7:14 AM).
                          hoshiko's Avatar
                          hoshiko hoshiko is offline
                          PC's jacksepticeye enthusiast
                             
                            Join Date: Apr 2010
                            Location: deep south
                            Age: 21
                            Gender: Other
                            Nature: Timid
                            Posts: 1,800
                            well i think it can or it can't depending on how you use it. for me, i try to use it to promote positivity and happiness and all that stuff. i know many people though who use it for the wrong reasons, like getting back at people or to be rude and mean and bully people. i think it all depends on how the person decides to use social media.
                            __________________
                            "POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE"
                            they/them ★ pashminatumblr
                            Reply With Quote
                              #20   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old September 6th, 2018 (11:39 AM).
                            Silver_Dreamer's Avatar
                            Silver_Dreamer Silver_Dreamer is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Sep 2018
                              Location: USA
                              Nature: Quiet
                              Posts: 3
                              My experience with social media is minimal, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

                              I never really got into social media. I made a facebook account because my friends were on it and college was right around the corner, so I wanted to keep in touch with those going away. The thing is, PMs and group chats were very rare and there were few meaningful posts/updates/whatever. There were so many random quizzes, pics, and game/app advertisements invites that it felt meaningless. I also felt awkward declining friend requests from people I know, but was not friends with nor was interested in becoming friends with. So I just stopped using it. Finally bothered to delete my account earlier this year.

                              I believe the users of social media can reinforce both positive and negative behavior. There are so many good things that happened, and will continue to happen, because the average person can reach a wide audience. There are also so many people getting harassed on these platforms it really makes me wonder about humanity.

                              I also believe the social media platform itself can reinforce unhealthy behavior. By trying to give the user an experience they want, social media tends to create echo chambers. The user would need to seek out conflicting information on their own, which not everyone does. This not only allows other people to negatively influence the user, but also encourages the user to be a passive consumer of information. Not really knowing where it comes from, just expecting it to show up and framed in an agreeable way. If the user hasn't learned/isn't learning how to compromise, debate, and/or disagree in a healthy way, it can harm their development as a person.

                              Social media is also designed to be addictive. Some games are also designed this way, for transparency's sake. All those likes, follows, etc release dopamine and can train the brain to keep seeking those feelings and continue using the platform. This could also increase stress because, ultimately, the desired response (likes, positive reception, sympathy, backlash, etc) and the quantity isn't guaranteed. Repeatedly receiving undesirable outcomes could cause or reinforce things like low self esteem, depression, or aggressive behavior. This is more of a "worst case scenario" line of thinking and I doubt that most social media users experience this.

                              Basically, I don't believe it's just the users of social media that make it positive or negative, how the platform is designed can influence it's users.

                              Also, I agree with LDSman, the law has yet to catch up to technology.
                              Reply With Quote
                                #21   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old September 11th, 2018 (10:24 AM).
                              Enpatsu Shakugan Enpatsu Shakugan is offline
                              Banned
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2018
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Hasty
                              Posts: 1,827
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Raven View Post
                              Positive:
                              • You can meet like minded people and make friends
                              Do people actually meet others on social media? I don't use any of them because to me, it was always about how many friends you already had that are there too.

                              I'm trying to imagine how weird it would be to just find a random profile and try to meet someone like that.

                              On a forum or something with shared interests, topics, etc, it makes sense, but straight up like that feels even more awkward than online dating.
                              In the extremely brief stint I tried them, I can honestly say I never *met* anyone.
                              Reply With Quote
                                #22   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old September 11th, 2018 (5:38 PM).
                              gimmepie's Avatar
                              gimmepie gimmepie is offline
                               
                              Join Date: May 2012
                              Location: Australia
                              Age: 23
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Adamant
                              Posts: 18,715
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
                              Do people actually meet others on social media? I don't use any of them because to me, it was always about how many friends you already had that are there too.

                              I'm trying to imagine how weird it would be to just find a random profile and try to meet someone like that.

                              On a forum or something with shared interests, topics, etc, it makes sense, but straight up like that feels even more awkward than online dating.
                              In the extremely brief stint I tried them, I can honestly say I never *met* anyone.
                              I've never met anyone online outside a forum setting myself, but I can say that I think your perception of how it happens isn't quite right. It's not just randomly visiting the profile of a person and starting a conversation generally, it happens much the same as it does here on the forums. You find yourself mutually involved in a community like a group on Facebook or both as followers of the same third party on Twitter, you repeatedly interact within that community and eventually one of you will DM or friend/follow the other and you'll start talking one on one. That's the impression I get anyway.
                              __________________
                              Reply With Quote
                                #23   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old September 11th, 2018 (6:17 PM).
                              CrimsonMajestic's Avatar
                              CrimsonMajestic CrimsonMajestic is offline
                              From Dusk to Dawn
                                 
                                Join Date: Aug 2018
                                Location: Texas, USA
                                Age: 31
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Jolly
                                Posts: 147
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
                                I'm trying to imagine how weird it would be to just find a random profile and try to meet someone like that.
                                I'm sure that's not how meeting people on social media (or online in general) for the most part works. First off, would you really want to meet someone who wasn't exactly transparent with their appearance (and in general)? Secondly, I don't speak for anyone else but myself; the quality of their content also serves as a metric whether this person (or bot) provides a valuable experience both online & potentially in reality.

                                If there is a point to this, it's that this is not meet-at-first-sight. Well, if you do that, may whatever deity you worship help you.

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
                                I've never met anyone online outside a forum setting myself, but I can say that I think your perception of how it happens isn't quite right.
                                I wouldn't go so far as to say whether one's perception is right or wrong in this case, but rather a lack of imagination and/or fear of the consequences of meeting random people you haven't put a face on for the first time.

                                Quote:
                                It's not just randomly visiting the profile of a person and starting a conversation generally, it happens much the same as it does here on the forums. You find yourself mutually involved in a community like a group on Facebook or both as followers of the same third party on Twitter, you repeatedly interact within that community and eventually one of you will DM or friend/follow the other and you'll start talking one on one. That's the impression I get anyway.
                                I would agree with this "impression".
                                __________________
                                3DS Friend Code information
                                Wi-fi Battle Request Info

                                Social Media Handles
                                Discord SirSpur#1123
                                Twitter SirSpur
                                Instagram SirSpur
                                Gab.ai SirSpur
                                Diaspora SirSpur
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #24   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old September 11th, 2018 (6:20 PM). Edited September 11th, 2018 by Enpatsu Shakugan.
                                Enpatsu Shakugan Enpatsu Shakugan is offline
                                Banned
                                 
                                Join Date: Apr 2018
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Hasty
                                Posts: 1,827
                                Then how do you go about every meeting someone that way?

                                I don't use it, so I have no clue. Pie made it seem there are community, aka forum, aspects of Facebook, or something akin to that? I'd never heard of that, so I have virtually no experience at all.
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #25   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                                Old September 12th, 2018 (5:27 PM).
                                Marth's Avatar
                                Marth Marth is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2013
                                Location: Canada
                                Age: 28
                                Nature: Timid
                                Posts: 15,287
                                I meant like talking to them online.
                                I wouldn't meet someone from the internet irl though because I'm very cautious
                                __________________


                                The sky is falling, seal the borders, heighten the anxiety
                                A steady diet of hysteria shapes history
                                Reply With Quote
                                Reply

                                Quick Reply

                                Join the conversation!

                                Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                Ad Content
                                Thread Tools

                                Posting Rules
                                You may not post new threads
                                You may not post replies
                                You may not post attachments
                                You may not edit your posts

                                BB code is On
                                Smilies are On
                                [IMG] code is On
                                HTML code is Off
                                Minimum Characters Per Post: 25

                                Forum Jump


                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:05 PM.