Entertainment & Media The PokeCommunity's red carpet: discuss topics, hot or otherwise, centered around music, films, TV, books, and sports!

Ad Content
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old July 30th, 2018 (5:06 PM). Edited July 30th, 2018 by Pichu.
Pichu's Avatar
Pichu Pichu is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,479

I'm feeling super nostalgic regarding this show lately. Was anyone else a fan of this show? It was on Nickelodeon for 3 seasons. I absolutely love it and started watching it again recently for the first time in a few years. Everything about this show was epic. Everything from the character development to the music and scenery.

If you were a fan, who was your favorite character? Favorite episode? Discuss anything regarding the show here!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old July 30th, 2018 (5:17 PM).
strangerhypno's Avatar
strangerhypno strangerhypno is offline
     
    Join Date: Jul 2017
    Posts: 2,686
    One of the best cartoons in recent times, nothing like it has been made since. Toph was my favorite character, she was such a fun and tough character. Didnt take crap from anybody. Favorite episode, idk they were all good episodes.
    Reply With Quote
      #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old July 30th, 2018 (5:43 PM).
    CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
    Just your average Spaceball
       
      Join Date: Jun 2017
      Location: Hayward
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 2,466
      Favorite character for me was Katara. Something about Water Benders that identifies with me(possibly because I enjoy being in the Water). As for favorite Episode, its a toughie but I'd probably pick Southern Raiders Episode where Katara confronts the man responsible for her mother's death.

      Btw, if you like the original series, you might want to take a look at Legend of Korra. That series was also extremely well done.
      __________________
      Currently raising:


      Want to raise Pokemon? Check out VPP
      Reply With Quote
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old July 30th, 2018 (7:04 PM).
      Pichu's Avatar
      Pichu Pichu is offline
       
      Join Date: Apr 2009
      Location: New York
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 5,479
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by strangerhypno View Post
      One of the best cartoons in recent times, nothing like it has been made since. Toph was my favorite character, she was such a fun and tough character. Didnt take crap from anybody. Favorite episode, idk they were all good episodes.
      Toph was awesome. I wish I was like her haha.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
      Favorite character for me was Katara. Something about Water Benders that identifies with me(possibly because I enjoy being in the Water). As for favorite Episode, its a toughie but I'd probably pick Southern Raiders Episode where Katara confronts the man responsible for her mother's death.

      Btw, if you like the original series, you might want to take a look at Legend of Korra. That series was also extremely well done.
      Thats what I liked about season 3. Even though most were filler episodes building up the big finale, they were entertaining fillers. The Souther Raiders was an awesome one.

      Yes! I've only watched the Korra series once, but want to again once I finish watching the original series again.
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old July 30th, 2018 (7:15 PM). Edited July 30th, 2018 by erik destler.
      erik destler's Avatar
      erik destler erik destler is offline
      the real gay
       
      Join Date: Jun 2005
      Location: louisiana
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Naughty
      Posts: 4,939
      WE'RE ACTUALLY REWATCHING IT RIGHT NOW and I'm pretty sure we just got up to season 3 - The Painted Lady episode? It was so good.
      I really wish that Legend of Korra had 22-ish episodes a season. I know a lot of times filler episodes are the worst, but some of ATLA's best episodes are filler.

      I loved the Avatar-origin story from LoK, too. The art style was so beautiful.
      __________________
      Paired with Laslow and Cherrim
      Like The PokéCommunity on Facebook! | Mod of Off-Topic
      Come chat with us on the PokéCommunity Discord.
      Reply With Quote
        #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old July 30th, 2018 (11:09 PM).
      CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
      Just your average Spaceball
         
        Join Date: Jun 2017
        Location: Hayward
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 2,466
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
        WE'RE ACTUALLY REWATCHING IT RIGHT NOW and I'm pretty sure we just got up to season 3 - The Painted Lady episode? It was so good.
        I really wish that Legend of Korra had 22-ish episodes a season. I know a lot of times filler episodes are the worst, but some of ATLA's best episodes are filler.

        I loved the Avatar-origin story from LoK, too. The art style was so beautiful.
        Painted Lady Episode was a good one too and was another reason why I came to like Katara as a character. To be frank, Season 3 did quite a bit of background development on Katara and several other characters(including Sokka) to where despite that it was filler, it really wasn't. The backstory filled in a lot of holes/questions and why the characters took the actions they've taken(such as Zuko switching sides).

        Legend of Korra didn't quite do that as I see it and focused more so on the action and group interaction aspect. Anyone agree that Aang's grandkids steal the show?
        Reply With Quote
          #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old July 31st, 2018 (6:33 AM).
        Pichu's Avatar
        Pichu Pichu is offline
         
        Join Date: Apr 2009
        Location: New York
        Age: 26
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 5,479
        Did you guys like the finale? I thought that the finale was one of the best finales Ive ever watched. I feel that they did a great job tying up loose ends.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #8   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old July 31st, 2018 (2:01 PM).
        CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
        Just your average Spaceball
           
          Join Date: Jun 2017
          Location: Hayward
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 2,466
          Well Sozins comet had several arcs coming to a close at once and the fact they all tied together so perfectly made for quite the memorable finale. Cant quite find another series that matches it save maybe for its sequel series in Korra. The ironic thing regarding Korra is that they intended to only make one season of it....

          Spoiler:
          Hence why they killed the antagonists off in the end


          but due to the sheer success of season 1 and overwhelming fan requests, they ultimately made three more seasons that delved into the origins of the Avatar and its role in restoring and maintaining the balance in the world.
          __________________
          Currently raising:


          Want to raise Pokemon? Check out VPP
          Reply With Quote
            #9   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old July 31st, 2018 (2:38 PM).
          Caite-chan's Avatar
          Caite-chan Caite-chan is offline
          ...blasting off again!
           
          Join Date: Nov 2003
          Location: Vermillion City
          Age: 31
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Sassy
          Posts: 2,720
          I so loved this show. To the point where I cosplayed Toph at ColassalCon with the rest of my group. :D
          __________________
          VPP: Sawsbuck @ 2,750

          [Shiny Living Dex 531]
          Reply With Quote
            #10   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old July 31st, 2018 (6:22 PM).
          CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
          Just your average Spaceball
             
            Join Date: Jun 2017
            Location: Hayward
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 2,466
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
            I so loved this show. To the point where I cosplayed Toph at ColassalCon with the rest of my group. :D
            When one makes Cosplay claims, one must back it up with proof. Ill understand if you dont want to though(what goes on internet stays on internet).
            Reply With Quote
              #11   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old July 31st, 2018 (6:45 PM).
            Caite-chan's Avatar
            Caite-chan Caite-chan is offline
            ...blasting off again!
             
            Join Date: Nov 2003
            Location: Vermillion City
            Age: 31
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Sassy
            Posts: 2,720
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
            When one makes Cosplay claims, one must back it up with proof. Ill understand if you dont want to though(what goes on internet stays on internet).
            Spoiler:
            __________________
            VPP: Sawsbuck @ 2,750

            [Shiny Living Dex 531]
            Reply With Quote
              #12   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old July 31st, 2018 (6:51 PM). Edited July 31st, 2018 by CodeHelmet.
            CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
            Just your average Spaceball
               
              Join Date: Jun 2017
              Location: Hayward
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 2,466
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
              Spoiler:
              Nicely done. Other one is her daughter Lin I take it? Not a bad job on that one either
              Reply With Quote
                #13   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old July 31st, 2018 (6:54 PM).
              Caite-chan's Avatar
              Caite-chan Caite-chan is offline
              ...blasting off again!
               
              Join Date: Nov 2003
              Location: Vermillion City
              Age: 31
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Sassy
              Posts: 2,720
              Why thank you. And yes it would be Lin. My former boss helped me with this costume while I did the wig and headband.
              __________________
              VPP: Sawsbuck @ 2,750

              [Shiny Living Dex 531]
              Reply With Quote
                #14   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old July 31st, 2018 (7:03 PM).
              CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
              Just your average Spaceball
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2017
                Location: Hayward
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 2,466
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Peridot View Post
                WE'RE ACTUALLY REWATCHING IT RIGHT NOW and I'm pretty sure we just got up to season 3 - The Painted Lady episode? It was so good.
                I really wish that Legend of Korra had 22-ish episodes a season. I know a lot of times filler episodes are the worst, but some of ATLA's best episodes are filler.

                I loved the Avatar-origin story from LoK, too. The art style was so beautiful.
                Books 1 and 2 had 20 while Book 3 was 21 if memory serves. Seems to me you loved it so much you wanted more lol. Korra was much smaller by comparison but also packed far more into each Episode as I see it. Had more action and group interaction with minimal filler/backstory save for Skeletons in the closet in Season 1, the origins of the Avatar in Season 2, Lins backstory in Season 3 and... perhaps Toph in Season 4(cant quite think of a filler in that season on command right now).
                Reply With Quote
                  #15   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old July 31st, 2018 (8:56 PM).
                Pichu's Avatar
                Pichu Pichu is offline
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2009
                Location: New York
                Age: 26
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 5,479
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Caite-chan View Post
                Spoiler:
                Awesome!!
                __________________
                Reply With Quote
                  #16   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old August 13th, 2018 (1:02 PM).
                Quiji's Avatar
                Quiji Quiji is offline
                All I Want For Xmas
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2009
                  Gender: Female
                  Posts: 140
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by CodeHelmet View Post
                  but due to the sheer success of season 1 and overwhelming fan requests, they ultimately made three more seasons that delved into the origins of the Avatar and its role in restoring and maintaining the balance in the world.
                  It's funny to me that TLoK's popularity during season one was supposedly what gave rise to seasons 2 and beyond, yet season two was when the show's ratings and popularity began to decline.

                  Anyway, I love ATLA. I wish there had been more than just three seasons however. I wanted to see a post-war storyarc outside of the comics.
                  Reply With Quote
                    #17   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old August 13th, 2018 (1:18 PM).
                  CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
                  Just your average Spaceball
                     
                    Join Date: Jun 2017
                    Location: Hayward
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Relaxed
                    Posts: 2,466
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
                    It's funny to me that TLoK's popularity during season one was supposedly what gave rise to seasons 2 and beyond, yet season two was when the show's ratings and popularity began to decline.

                    Anyway, I love ATLA. I wish there had been more than just three seasons however. I wanted to see a post-war storyarc outside of the comics.
                    So basically the world struggling to trust the Fire Nation after 100 years of war, Imperialist remnants within the Fire Nation attempting to rekindle conflict and so on and so forth(including the prime years of Aang, Katara, Toph and Sokka rather than in Flashbacks via TLoK). Its a nice thought but Aangs story was ending a 100 year old conflict that he didnt start but was expected to stop. With it now over, his arc or story was complete. In theory it looks good on paper but in practice, Im not so sure. Im not against it, but merely have reservations.
                    __________________
                    Currently raising:


                    Want to raise Pokemon? Check out VPP
                    Reply With Quote
                      #18   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old November 1st, 2018 (7:15 AM).
                    Homeskulled Kid's Avatar
                    Homeskulled Kid Homeskulled Kid is online now
                    Life, the Universe and Everything
                       
                      Join Date: Oct 2018
                      Location: Clancer
                      Nature: Jolly
                      Posts: 663
                      One of my all-time favourite series!

                      Favourite character: Ahhhh crap. Okay, well, I love them all a lot, so this is rough. They're all on equal ground in my eyes, but as far as preferences go... perhaps Zuko? By about one per cent.
                      Favourite bending style: I have a definite penchant for Earth. Then it'll be Fire because that's just awesome.
                      Favourite episode: Maybe the one where they all head to Omashu? First season. Nostalgia value, man. Well, frick, I don't even know.
                      What bending style I'd want: Airbending. Defying gravity is where it's at, and my temper isn't compatible with boulders, tidal waves or infernos.
                      What character I'm most similar to: BUMI. I'm actually insane, you know, and I'm the most powerful Earthbender you'll see... then it's Toph, and then Sokka, but I do resonate with Zuko on one point - 'You rise with the moon - I rise with the sun'. Then there's the whole 'My father always said that Azula was born lucky, and that I was lucky to be born'. I was lucky to be born. Literally. I might have lost my place if someone hadn't lost theirs.

                      I've been meaning to pick up where I left off. It was about three episodes after Toph joined? Brilliant stuff. Quality all the way, too. Grew up with it, and I'm determined to move onto Korra as soon as I'm finished.
                      __________________
                      "The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad / If we got each other, and that's all we have / I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand / You should know I'll be there for you / When the world's not perfect / When the world's not kind" ★☆★☆
                      Reply With Quote
                        #19   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old November 1st, 2018 (8:20 AM).
                      CodeHelmet CodeHelmet is offline
                      Just your average Spaceball
                         
                        Join Date: Jun 2017
                        Location: Hayward
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Relaxed
                        Posts: 2,466
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Homeskulled Kid View Post
                        One of my all-time favourite series!

                        Favourite character: Ahhhh crap. Okay, well, I love them all a lot, so this is rough. They're all on equal ground in my eyes, but as far as preferences go... perhaps Zuko? By about one per cent.
                        Favourite bending style: I have a definite penchant for Earth. Then it'll be Fire because that's just awesome.
                        Favourite episode: Maybe the one where they all head to Omashu? First season. Nostalgia value, man. Well, frick, I don't even know.
                        What bending style I'd want: Airbending. Defying gravity is where it's at, and my temper isn't compatible with boulders, tidal waves or infernos.
                        What character I'm most similar to: BUMI. I'm actually insane, you know, and I'm the most powerful Earthbender you'll see... then it's Toph, and then Sokka, but I do resonate with Zuko on one point - 'You rise with the moon - I rise with the sun'. Then there's the whole 'My father always said that Azula was born lucky, and that I was lucky to be born'. I was lucky to be born. Literally. I might have lost my place if someone hadn't lost theirs.

                        I've been meaning to pick up where I left off. It was about three episodes after Toph joined? Brilliant stuff. Quality all the way, too. Grew up with it, and I'm determined to move onto Korra as soon as I'm finished.
                        So the middle of Book 2. Haven’t seen anything yet honestly. Rest of Book 2 and Book 3 make Book 1 look inferior by comparison(largely because I thought Azula was a better villain than Zuko and the fact Shyamalan ruined the image of Book 1 with his movie).
                        __________________
                        Currently raising:


                        Want to raise Pokemon? Check out VPP
                        Reply With Quote
                          #20   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old November 1st, 2018 (1:38 PM).
                        Kai's Avatar
                        Kai Kai is offline
                        Wayfarer
                           
                          Join Date: Jul 2017
                          Location: Scotland
                          Nature: Brave
                          Posts: 322
                          Favorite character: Iroh is my current pick. He knew when to be silly, balanced, or serious and provided counsel for the troubled characters he met.

                          Favorite episode: The Tales of Ba Sing Se
                          __________________
                          Reply With Quote
                          Reply

                          Quick Reply

                          Join the conversation!

                          Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                          Create a PokéCommunity Account
                          Ad Content
                          Thread Tools

                          Posting Rules
                          You may not post new threads
                          You may not post replies
                          You may not post attachments
                          You may not edit your posts

                          BB code is On
                          Smilies are On
                          [IMG] code is On
                          HTML code is Off

                          Forum Jump


                          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:32 AM.