The Clubhouse Clubs are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests! Join or create a club here and fanaticize like a true fan!

Ad Content

#26   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old August 9th, 2018 (8:18 AM).
Mysteriosity is Beauty

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostHunter View Post
Name: TheGhostHunter (Savanna)
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mockingbird-Harper Lee (Classic), Project 17-Laurie Faria Stolarz (Modern)
Favorite Author: Edgar Allen Poe (Classic), J.K. Rowling (Modern)
Welcome! Glad to have you. To Kill A Mockingbird is a superb novel. I read it in my AP English class last semester and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was inclined to purchase the sequel, Go Set A Watchman, although I've heard that a lot of the characters are portrayed in a more negative way, such as Scout's father and that the novel itself was overwhelming mediocre. I don't even think Harper Lee intended for it to ever be published, as it came out after her passing.
  #27   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old August 9th, 2018 (8:52 AM).
Spooky Girl with a Computer

Nature: Careful
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MysticalNinetales View Post
    Welcome! Glad to have you. To Kill A Mockingbird is a superb novel. I read it in my AP English class last semester and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was inclined to purchase the sequel, Go Set A Watchman, although I've heard that a lot of the characters are portrayed in a more negative way, such as Scout's father and that the novel itself was overwhelming mediocre. I don't even think Harper Lee intended for it to ever be published, as it came out after her passing.
    I didn't read the sequel because I heard it wasn't as good as the original. Why I picked Project 17 as my Modern Favorite is because of the author's style of writing which is having different sections of the book be told from the perspective along with the interesting motivations that brought the characters together.

Name: Shade
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
      #28   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old August 9th, 2018 (9:51 AM).
    This is fine.

Nature: Jolly
    Name/Nickname: bobandbill
    Favourite Book: Buh, not sure tbh. The Merlin Conspiracy, Howl's Moving Castly, The Singing Tree spring to mind...
    Favourite Author: Diana Wynne Jones, but also Terry Pratchett, Michael Crichton, Ursula Le Guin

Currently reading 'Threat Vector' by Tom Clancy. Standard action thriller thus far. Book was on the free-to-borrow bookshelf where I am currently staying, so I figured I'll give it a go. Got around to Mazerunner recently too.

I agree with the sentiment on To Kill A Mockingbird, btw.
      #29   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old August 10th, 2018 (8:37 AM).
    Mysteriosity is Beauty

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Name/Nickname: bobandbill
    Favourite Book: Buh, not sure tbh. The Merlin Conspiracy, Howl's Moving Castly, The Singing Tree spring to mind...
    Favourite Author: Diana Wynne Jones, but also Terry Pratchett, Michael Crichton, Ursula Le Guin

Currently reading 'Threat Vector' by Tom Clancy. Standard action thriller thus far. Book was on the free-to-borrow bookshelf where I am currently staying, so I figured I'll give it a go. Got around to Mazerunner recently too.

I agree with the sentiment on To Kill A Mockingbird, btw.
    Welcome! What is your opinion on the Maze Runner series thus far?

Also, I've recently purchased a plethora of novels and I can't quite decide on which one to read. They all differ immensely and I've gone back and forth trying to choose which one to conquer first. Does anyone have tips for choosing a novel? Thanks in advance.
      #30   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old August 10th, 2018 (10:17 AM).
    This is fine.

Quote:
    Welcome! What is your opinion on the Maze Runner series thus far?
    Overall I enjoyed the first book. A little slow to settle though for my liking; a bit hard to follow exactly what was going on given the large amount of mystery opted for at the start. Decent cliffhangers , and some dubious science things as well, haha.

Quote:
    Also, I've recently purchased a plethora of novels and I can't quite decide on which one to read. They all differ immensely and I've gone back and forth trying to choose which one to conquer first. Does anyone have tips for choosing a novel? Thanks in advance.
    If all else fails, judge by the cover? :V Or just do eeny-meenie-miny-moe on it; if you plan to read them all, you'll get the best one sooner or later.
      #31   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old August 11th, 2018 (11:28 AM).

Quote:
      They all differ immensely and I've gone back and forth trying to choose which one to conquer first. Does anyone have tips for choosing a novel? Thanks in advance.
      I read through the summaries and try to figure out which one sounds most interesting, or which one fits more of my mood going in to reading it.

My to-be-read pile is organized out for the next year (I hope). How I organized it was by grouping the books into general piles (series, stand-alones, genres), and then sorting everything out so I'm not stuck reading the same sort of thing for too long. Like after I finish the two series that I'm in the middle of, I'm switching over to shorter middle-school-aged stand-alone books. After those come the more stand-alone adult novels that are a variety of genres (you have your H.P. Lovecraft right next to your Nicholas Sparks!). The piles go on like that so I get a good variety.
      but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out."
        #32   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 11th, 2018 (5:25 PM). Edited August 11th, 2018 by MysticalNinetales.
      Mysteriosity is Beauty

Quote:
      Overall I enjoyed the first book. A little slow to settle though for my liking; a bit hard to follow exactly what was going on given the large amount of mystery opted for at the start. Decent cliffhangers , and some dubious science things as well, haha.
      I actually preferred the second book to the first. Although, I read the series years ago and I'm not sure if I'd have the same opinion in the present.

Quote:
      If all else fails, judge by the cover? :V Or just do eeny-meenie-miny-moe on it; if you plan to read them all, you'll get the best one sooner or later.
      I often choose novels from my local book store based on the cover (while taking the genre and summary heavily into consideration as well). If a book has an aesthetically unappealing cover, my interest usually dwindles. I might just have to rely on the eenie-meenie method if all else fails.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
      I read through the summaries and try to figure out which one sounds most interesting, or which one fits more of my mood going in to reading it.

My to-be-read pile is organized out for the next year (I hope). How I organized it was by grouping the books into general piles (series, stand-alones, genres), and then sorting everything out so I'm not stuck reading the same sort of thing for too long. Like after I finish the two series that I'm in the middle of, I'm switching over to shorter middle-school-aged stand-alone books. After those come the more stand-alone adult novels that are a variety of genres (you have your H.P. Lovecraft right next to your Nicholas Sparks!). The piles go on like that so I get a good variety.
      I admire your organization skills. Typically speaking, I am quite spontaneous when reading. I rely on what I feel like and if I develop a strong urge to read a novel, even if I'm in the middle of another one, I often will. However, these books are all quite dissimilar. One has been made into a film, (which I have yet to see), The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, another is on Netflix, 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. The other two are How to Love by Katie Contugno, and lastly, The Book of Lost & Found by Lucy Foley. All of these novels enthrall me in different ways which is why I'm so indecisive as to which one I want to read first. It's a rather daunting task when you adore books as much as I do. However, I'm leaning towards How to Love ever so slightly.

Also, Nicholas Sparks is a marvelous author. I don't think anyone would dare to disagree, given how many of his novels have been made into big-budget films.
        #33   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 12th, 2018 (7:54 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
      orz, sorry I disappeared for like a week LOL... I was busy with stuff, but not too busy to read, apparently, since I finished a few books in that time!

I finished that weird The Art of Racing in the Rain book. It was really, really good--the writing was absolutely beautiful. It was like poetry sometimes. However, the subject matter was pretty depressing and the ending very bittersweet. I think I'd still recommend it, though. ESPECIALLY if you own pets.

Aaand then I quickly read through The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins which is the graphic novelization of the first arc of the D&D podcast run by the McElroy brothers. I ADORED the podcast and preordered the book as soon as it was announced, although once it finally arrived it took me a couple weeks to finally sit down and read it because I just wasn't really in the mood for comics when it came. But it was really good and I highly recommend it. :D

Finally, I also read Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries. I've been wanting to read it for over a year, but it's been on hold at my library for ever. (Well, it did come off hold sometime last year but it came off hold AT THE SAME TIME AS LIKE 6 OTHER BOOKS because somehow that ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME and I just did not have time to get to it before I had to return it--since I couldn't renew with tons of OTHER people on the waiting list.) Uh, anyway to get back to the point, it's a book about dictionaries, written by a lexicographer (someone who writes definitions). It was absolutely FASCINATING and I urge anyone who enjoys the English language, language in general, or even just books in general to give it a read. The author is really funny while still being super informative and you learn all kinds of little tidbits about language and words. It was also the first time I had to look up a LOT of words without feeling really frustrating, like I do whenever I have to look up tons of words in academic writing. Like, the author used plenty of words I'd never heard of before, but not in the condescending way of academia, ahaha. It was a really great read!

I'm not sure what my next book is gonna be. I think a few things are due to come off hold in a week or two, so maybe I'll hold off on starting anything new until I have a deadline looming, ahaha.
      Quote:
      My favourite authors include John Green (Cliche, I know. He's simply marvelous though) and Becca Fitzpatrick. (if you couldn't already tell.) Anyways, if there's anything you guys would like to know about me, please, feel free to ask. I'm an open book, truly. (Ahaha I'm hilarious.)
      Ooh, I'm also a big fan of John Green. :D I found the vlogbrothers on youtube about a decade ago and within a year had devoured all his books and have been a fan ever since. Although... I... still haven't finished Turtles yet, orz. I've been struggling to get into it, I think because I preordered a signed hardcopy and I struggle to read physical books now that I use eReaders so much... I should get a kindle copy, lol. What's your favourite book by him? :3 Although it's definitely not his best, I really like An Abundance of Katherines because I'm a math nerd at heart and loved all the equations and stuff in it, ahaha.
      Quote:
      You're not crazy at all, hun. You're brilliant! 57 books? Now that's quite the accomplishment. I'm jealous, you inspire me to read more. I've read a solid 7 books this year, if that. As much as I adore reading, I am quite the scatterbrain at times and I often get distracted, never mind balancing school, work and a social life. I do need to take more time to just sit down, relax and dive into a good book.

Anyways, The Art of Racing in the Rain sounds rather peculiar, although, I have a tremendous love for dogs so I can already tell that I'd enjoy it.
      I've never read so much in my life, I'm not sure how I've managed so far! Last year I read 50, but a lot of that was because I got into the final year of my English degree which, as one might expect, had a LOT of reading attached to it. But most of it was academic, whereas this year I've really just gotten into reading stuff that I wanna read, rather than stuff assigned for class or as reference for essays. (And admittedly a fair few of them are manga/graphic novels, which are definitely not as intense as your typical novel or book, but... still!) I'm also very motivated by marking things as "done", so Goodreads goes a long way for me because the satisfaction of rating a book and adding it to my virtual shelf as completed is almost as satisfying as actually finishing the book. ^^;

Ohh, and from your description of the kinds of books you like, I think you'd DEFINITELY like Racing in the Rain. It's totally right up your alley, re: slowly getting to know characters and seeing personalities unravel and build up over time. It's also very realistic--well, aside from having a dog as the narrator, ahaha.
      Quote:
      I can't remember if I read Sphere or not, but a few years back, I went on a Crichton binge. Timeline and Next were my favorites out of the ones that I read, but--like you--I wonder if I'll find the problems that you're worried about.
      Sphere is the one about the alien creature at the bottom of the ocean. :O

But yeah, Next in particular is one of the ones that makes me worry about going back and rereading. I really enjoyed it when I read it, but it put me DANGEROUSLY CLOSE to becoming a climate change denier when I was much younger and much more impressionable because that was Crichton's stance and it was abundantly clear in the novel that the "real science" intermingled with his classic pseudo-science was very, very conservative in nature and very, very skewed. @_@ And then when I read, uhh.. I think it might have been called Micro...? One of the novels that was published posthumously and finished by a ghostwriter. The female characters in it were very... bad. Like really bad. It makes me worry if maybe back then I just glossed over how bad his other female characters were because I liked his work so much.

Oh well. He'll forever be my guilty pleasure favourite, I think. I just really love how well he writes suspense and even if his formula is so obvious (he loooves his "countdown" chapter titles), it sucks me in every single time, lol. I'm just glad that now I'm old enough to be a more critical reader!
      Quote:
      Ohhh, that's a hard one. *looks forlornly at all the unread books she's amassed..............*

I usually solve it by reading library books that I've borrowed on a whim instead because those at least have due dates and then my pile of owned books just gathers dust, so I suppose that's not much help. ????Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, perhaps?

#34   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 14th, 2018 (2:00 PM). Edited August 14th, 2018 by MysticalNinetales.
      Mysteriosity is Beauty

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Cherrim View Post
      orz, sorry I disappeared for like a week LOL... I was busy with stuff, but not too busy to read, apparently, since I finished a few books in that time!
      Welcome back!! :) You were certainly missed.

Quote:
      Ooh, I'm also a big fan of John Green. :D I found the vlogbrothers on youtube about a decade ago and within a year had devoured all his books and have been a fan ever since. Although... I... still haven't finished Turtles yet, orz. I've been struggling to get into it, I think because I preordered a signed hardcopy and I struggle to read physical books now that I use eReaders so much... I should get a kindle copy, lol. What's your favourite book by him? :3 Although it's definitely not his best, I really like An Abundance of Katherines because I'm a math nerd at heart and loved all the equations and stuff in it, ahaha.
      I'd have to say that Turtles All The Way Down is my favourite with The Fault in Our Stars being a close second. Turtles All The Way Down was such an interesting, heartwarming read. Aza, first of all, is such a splendidly unique and complex character, I am absolutely enthralled and fascinated by her continuous thought spirals that seemingly dictate her life. Furthermore, witnessing her attempt to cope with her though spirals while in the midst of falling in love is incredibly perplexing. Never mind John Green's tremendous writing style that always draws readers in even when not much is occurring in terms of the plot. Sure, The Fault in our Stars is so wholesome and beautiful, but it lacks the uniqueness that Turtles All The Way Down truly possesses. I've never read An Abundance of Katherines, but I plan to do so in the near future.

Quote:
      Ohh, and from your description of the kinds of books you like, I think you'd DEFINITELY like Racing in the Rain. It's totally right up your alley, re: slowly getting to know characters and seeing personalities unravel and build up over time. It's also very realistic--well, aside from having a dog as the narrator, ahaha.
      Yes, yes, yes. I need that book in my life this instant.

Quote:
      Ohhh, that's a hard one. *looks forlornly at all the unread books she's amassed..............*

I usually solve it by reading library books that I've borrowed on a whim instead because those at least have due dates and then my pile of owned books just gathers dust, so I suppose that's not much help. ������Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, perhaps?
      I've come to a conclusion (or so I think, who knows.) I've decided that I'd going to read How to Love first. I feel as the story with resonate with me the most as I love reading about romantic relationships and have been in some rather turbulent, complicated ones myself. After that, I suppose I'll have to randomly select a novel, as you suggested.
        #35   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 26th, 2018 (9:46 AM).
      Mysteriosity is Beauty

Does anyone have books that they've been dying to read? New releases? Old classics? With autumn just around the corner, perhaps there's also a shift in book preferences.

Personally, I've been looking forward to reading To all the Boys I've Ever Loved Before by Jenny Han. Every teenage girl within a mile radius has seen the movie on Netflix. However, as someone who believes that books are superior to films, I've been holding out as I want to complete the novel first. I don't want the movie to influence my perception of the characters. Although, I've been told how spectacular the film is and I can only imagine how incredible the book must be. I bought it a few days ago but I haven't gotten the chance to peek at it yet (as I've been quite ill as of late). I do plan on beginning the book today as it's rainy and cold outside (perfect day to read, if you ask me.)
        #36   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 26th, 2018 (11:20 AM).

Quote:
        Does anyone have books that they've been dying to read? New releases? Old classics? With autumn just around the corner, perhaps there's also a shift in book preferences.
        After looking through my to-be-read piles, I'm most looking forward to starting the Hunger Games series. There's also a part of me that is ready to read some H.P. Lovecraft.

As for books that I haven't gotten yet, the Animorphes series is right at the top of my list. The themes and characterization that it has in it is what I'm really interested in. I've heard that they're really good, and stick with readers for a long time.

Had no idea To All the Boys I've Ever Loved Before was a book! Hopefully you feel better soon so you can read it!

(For me, the best weather for reading is when it's sunny and warm [not hot] out. Then I can sit outside and soak up some much needed vitamin D while also reading a good book.)
        but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out."
          #37   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old August 31st, 2018 (5:26 PM). Edited August 31st, 2018 by MysticalNinetales.
        Mysteriosity is Beauty

Quote:
        After looking through my to-be-read piles, I'm most looking forward to starting the Hunger Games series. There's also a part of me that is ready to read some H.P. Lovecraft.
        The Hunger Games series is phenomenal. I highly recommend! I haven't read it in years, however, I thoroughly enjoyed each book when I initially read the series. The movies are also fantastic and in my opinion they don't stray too far from the novels.

Quote:
        no idea To All the Boys I've Ever Loved Before was a book! Hopefully you feel better soon so you can read it!

(For me, the best weather for reading is when it's sunny and warm [not hot] out. Then I can sit outside and soak up some much needed vitamin D while also reading a good book.)
        Yes! I didn't realize there was a book series either until one of my best friends informed me. I have finally begun reading it, although, I've been so incredibly busy these last few days and haven't been able to get very far. (I believe I'm 22 pages into the book or something.) Not to mention that school begins this upcoming Tuesday. I'm going to be in my senior year of high school and I'm honestly not excited at all.

I will say I agree, reading a book with the sun on your skin is marvelous. I still believe that nothing beats reading while listening to the rain as you cuddle up under a blanket near a fireplace with a cup of tea!
          #38   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 2nd, 2018 (10:36 AM).
        This is fine.

Last weekend while I lacked internet, I found a bunch of book stalls had popped up for the weekend at the nearby shopping centre for charity. Was able to snag a few books for pretty cheap. :B Pratchett, Cohen and also Dickens as I never did read much of his stuff before.
        Quote:

As for books that I haven't gotten yet, the Animorphes series is right at the top of my list. The themes and characterization that it has in it is what I'm really interested in. I've heard that they're really good, and stick with readers for a long time.
        I enjoyed the Hunger Games series. Not my most favourite but it was entertaining enough and had some good action and situations. Third book was the weakest for me, maybe a bit too much going on...?

Animorphs! Now that's a blast from the past, haha. I read a bunch of them back in primary school, out of order and not with all the books in the end. That was a cool series though. Never watched the show.
          #39   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 24th, 2018 (2:44 PM). Edited September 24th, 2018 by MysticalNinetales.
        Mysteriosity is Beauty

Quote:
        I enjoyed the Hunger Games series. Not my most favourite but it was entertaining enough and had some good action and situations. Third book was the weakest for me, maybe a bit too much going on...?
        The third book was also my least favourite. I found that it was a little difficult to fully comprehend what was going on, as it seemed like a million things were happening at once. However, I think the two movies based on Mockingjay helped me make sense of everything.

Anyways, I STILL haven't read To All The Boys I've Ever Loved Before, even after all this time. Instead, I began How To Love, a novel that I've mentioned a plethora of times before. Honestly, I'm really loving it so far. It's quite a simple book that lacks any sort of monumental climax, yet the plot is incredibly compelling. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who adores real, raw romance. It isn't overly saccharine but it still conveys a message about true love and how it's not always easy. After this read, well, maybe then I'll read To All The Boys I've Ever Loved Before. Although, over the summer I had a habit of impulsively purchasing every eye-catching novel that I could locate and I now have quite a gargantuan pile of novels to get through. Most of them are romance or historical fiction (or both), but I did find a Mystery/Thriller novel that's been piquing my interest as of late. For the love of God, I can't think of the title, anyways, I'm thinking that it'll be my next read.

If anyone has found an enthralling read perfect for Autumn, do let me know, I'd be delighted to hear! Autumn is my absolute favourite season and in my opinion is one of the best seasons to read in. You can sit outside while it's still nice out with a book and just enjoy the fresh crisp air and the vibrant leaves scattered about and in late fall you can curl up under a quilt with a book and a cup of tea! :)
          #40   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old November 4th, 2018 (11:12 PM).
        🙃

Nature: Quiet
          hello, v new to these forums but I hope I can still join! pretty neat how many other canadians there are here
          Name/Nickname: baire
          Favourite Book: The Big Sleep or The Long Goodbye (both by Chandler)
          Favourite Author: Raymond Chandler, Douglas Adams, Ludwig Wittgenstein

Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels make up my favourite series and I'm not sure that any other has come close. I'll have a bit more time to read novels over the next week so I'm excited for that at least
            #41   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 5th, 2018 (6:47 AM).
          Mysteriosity is Beauty

Quote:
          Originally Posted by baire View Post
          hello, v new to these forums but I hope I can still join! pretty neat how many other canadians there are here
          Name/Nickname: baire
          Favourite Book: The Big Sleep or The Long Goodbye (both by Chandler)
          Favourite Author: Raymond Chandler, Douglas Adams, Ludwig Wittgenstein

Chandler's Philip Marlowe novels make up my favourite series and I'm not sure that any other has come close. I'll have a bit more time to read novels over the next week so I'm excited for that at least
          Welcome! So glad to have you! It's never too late to join. :)

Anyways, I've heard a lot of positive things about Raymond Chandler and his work. While I, myself have never read one of his novels, I've always yearned to. Perhaps I need to pay another visit to my local book store! Any recommendations?
            #42   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 5th, 2018 (11:13 AM). Edited November 6th, 2018 by baire.
          🙃

Thanks for having me! I think The Big Sleep would be worth going through at some point, it's the first and most well known in the series and takes a really dark and complex direction. I've never gotten a chance to read Agatha Christie but I know she's written a lot of detective/mystery type of stuff, since you've mentioned that you really like her works I don't feel Chandler would too far off.

I myself still haven't decided what I want to be reading over the next week, I've been meaning to read the Foundation series by Asimov or maybe even Solaris by Lem for a while now so I might start on that sooner or later. I've also been meaning to read Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon since one of my friends named it his favourite book, but it just looks so long and I don't know how I'd find the time to ever get around finishing it.
              #43   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old November 8th, 2018 (11:04 PM).
            4 million years

Nature: Hasty
              Name/Nickname: Catnip~ or Desert Stream~ is fine I guess
              Favourite Book: Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
              Favourite Author: whoever wrote that ^ (I'm bad with names, sorry :p)

Honestly I don't read a ton anymore, but I kinda want to get back into it, because when I like a book it's a really nice feeling lol. I've only really felt that way with a few books though.

I mostly like Sci-fi or Fantasy, and I especially like things that can make me laugh so if anyone has any suggestions you can post them and I'll try to read them I guess?
                #44   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 9th, 2018 (5:46 AM). Edited November 9th, 2018 by Aslan.
              the pretender

Nature: Modest
              Sign me up, I love reading <3 Haven't had as much time due to school being really busy this year, but I hope to get through my to read list soon.

Name/Nickname: Aslan (feel free to call me Sophie though)
              Favourite Book: Not sure about now but my childhood favourite was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban!
              Favourite Author: Haruki Murakami or Kazuo Ishiguro
                #45   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 12th, 2018 (9:09 PM). Edited November 12th, 2018 by MysticalNinetales.
              Mysteriosity is Beauty

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Desert Stream~ View Post
              Name/Nickname: Catnip~ or Desert Stream~ is fine I guess
              Favourite Book: Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
              Favourite Author: whoever wrote that ^ (I'm bad with names, sorry :p)

Honestly I don't read a ton anymore, but I kinda want to get back into it, because when I like a book it's a really nice feeling lol. I've only really felt that way with a few books though.

I mostly like Sci-fi or Fantasy, and I especially like things that can make me laugh so if anyone has any suggestions you can post them and I'll try to read them I guess?

Welcome! It's lovely to have you. I'll admit that I'm not particularly interested in novels of the Sci-Fi or Fantasy genre. However, there still are a lot of superb novels out there that would indeed suit your taste.

The Heart of Dread series by Melissa De La Cruz and Michael Johnston are excellent novels if I do say so myself. The first book is my personal favourite as it's one of those books that I simply could not put down. The characters in the series are marvelous and diverse and the series is full of action, adventure, and even a touch of romance! I highly recommend this series and I think you'd really enjoy it.

Michael Vey is another series that I'd recommend. Admittedly, I've only read the first book. However, I have indeed heard marvelous things about the sequential novels. If you like Sci-Fi, the series is perfect for you! Again, you meet a plethora of contrasting characters that contribute to the story's upbeat nature. The first novel is full of suspense and action but it is quite the cliffhanger I must say.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
              Sign me up, I love reading <3 Haven't had as much time due to school being really busy this year, but I hope to get through my to read list soon.

Name/Nickname: Aslan (feel free to call me Sophie though)
              Favourite Book: Not sure about now but my childhood favourite was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban!
              Favourite Author: Haruki Murakami or Kazuo Ishiguro
              Hi, Sophie! Welcome, it's wonderful to have you.

I have actually never laid my hands on a Harry Potter novel in my lifetime, the series has never captivated me if I'm honest. Am I missing out?

Also, I've never heard of those authors! What are some of their novels that you've enjoyed and that you'd recommend?
                #46   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 12th, 2018 (9:55 PM).
              4 million years

Nature: Hasty
                I guess I should also mention I'm way more inclined to read something if it's a series then I am if it's a singular book. I like things that will last me a long time :p
                  #47   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old November 19th, 2018 (9:51 PM).
                Mysteriosity is Beauty

Yes. I am the same way. Finishing a good book is truly bittersweet. You've reached the conclusion, yet you yearn for more. That's why series are the best because there's always a second, third, fourth book and so on.
                  #48   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old November 20th, 2018 (10:01 PM). Edited November 20th, 2018 by baire.
                🙃

congrats on getting the club featured! hooray for books

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
                  Kazuo Ishiguro
                  oh hey the book club at my school is discussing "The Buried Giant" by him this month. I haven't gotten a chance to read it because schoolwork has been killing me and I have hardly any spare time but I've heard good things about it and it's on my (very long and clogged) to-read list. I'll be sure to get around to going through it... eventually...
                    #49   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old November 20th, 2018 (10:23 PM).
                  Mysteriosity is Beauty

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by baire View Post
                  congrats on getting the club featured! hooray for books
                  Thank you so much! Although I couldn't have done it alone. From the bottom of my heart, I want to sincerely thank everyone who has joined this club and has taken time out of their day to participate in discussion. I appreciate every contribution so much! I look forward to the future conversations and novel recommendations in this club. :)
                    #50   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old November 21st, 2018 (5:52 AM). Edited November 21st, 2018 by VisionofMilotic.
                  Mother of Dragons

Nature: Gentle
                  I'd like to join this award-winning club. I'm currently reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman, as always Gaiman's lyrical prose are a delight.

Name/Nickname: Sam

Favourite Book: Game of Thrones (Asoiaf)

Favourite Author: Suza Scalora. She is a photographer first, but she uses magnificent illustrations to bring her children's books to life. I also love Jane Yolen's wonderful lore.

Name: Narcissus
                  Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quick Reply