The Clubhouse Clubs are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests! Join or create a club here and fanaticize like a true fan!

Ad Content

#26   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old August 28th, 2018 (11:40 PM). Edited August 28th, 2018 by Dawn.
of the Final Day

Nature: Quiet
I did! Starting again is soooo sloooooow x_x

Only HR2 at the moment. I've gone with Adept Bow for now as my chosen weapon - I'd rather get a reasonable good set of armour (probably Glavenus) before I start experimenting with Brave DB, Aerial IG, etc. Going to farm the hell out of Astalos for Gunner armour that should tide me over until HR...then I'll get my Storge set again for HR to G Rank.

I haven't touched offline at all and I probably won't until I hit G Rank. xD;

I should really get a Prowler, though...I'd prefer to wait until I'm in a position where I can get my ideal setup (Piercing Boomerang, Big Boomerang, a deviant Garuga fan, etc) before I start playing with that, though.
  #27   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old August 29th, 2018 (3:39 AM). Edited August 29th, 2018 by Kasreygan.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I did! Starting again is soooo sloooooow x_x

Only HR2 at the moment. I've gone with Adept Bow for now as my chosen weapon - I'd rather get a reasonable good set of armour (probably Glavenus) before I start experimenting with Brave DB, Aerial IG, etc. Going to farm the hell out of Astalos for Gunner armour that should tide me over until HR...then I'll get my Storge set again for HR to G Rank.

I haven't touched offline at all and I probably won't until I hit G Rank. xD;

I should really get a Prowler, though...I'd prefer to wait until I'm in a position where I can get my ideal setup (Piercing Boomerang, Big Boomerang, a deviant Garuga fan, etc) before I start playing with that, though.
    Hiya Dawn, have you transfered your save file from Gen to MHGen U? And also, is Gen U worth the hype?
      #28   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old August 29th, 2018 (4:00 AM).
    of the Final Day

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasreygan View Post
    Hiya Dawn, have you transfered your save file from Gen to MHGen U? And also, is Gen U worth the hype?
    I did, yeah. I restarted over one of my old files for bonuses etc, but all I really got out of it were a lot of zenny and Wycademy points...which is nice, because without Coal Hearted zenny farming is an issue early game. I've still got my main from Gen, but I've not really looked at her yet. I figured I needed to learn how to adept again before I tackled G Rank, and I wanted to try something new, which I will eventually...I forgot how tedious farming could be, though. It took me an hour to get 2 bloody Astalos Membrane ._.

As someone who was disappointed in practically every way with World, I am relieved to be playing GU, but if you've already played Gen then I'm not entirely sure it's worth it unless you don't mind more of the same...G Rank might be worth it, though. There are a ridiculous number of monsters this time around too, so there's plenty of variety. People whining about the visuals are, in my opinion, whining about nothing: it looks absolutely fine, and even if it can't match World's visuals it has substantially more personality...and really, comparing the two is a waste of time, because they're completely different games.

Control-wise it handles wonderfully in handheld mode, and having proper dual analogue is a real step up from the 3DS...it drains the battery life of the Switch something awful, though. The connection seems to be more stable than the 3DS too - I've not been thrown off or had major room issues yet, at least. Finding a room was half the battle in Gen, and the other half was staying in it >.>

I would say if you're interested in it, get it. If you're on the fence, play Gen again a little or download the demo and see how you feel.
      #29   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old August 29th, 2018 (7:00 AM).

Quote:
      I did, yeah. I restarted over one of my old files for bonuses etc, but all I really got out of it were a lot of zenny and Wycademy points...which is nice, because without Coal Hearted zenny farming is an issue early game. I've still got my main from Gen, but I've not really looked at her yet. I figured I needed to learn how to adept again before I tackled G Rank, and I wanted to try something new, which I will eventually...I forgot how tedious farming could be, though. It took me an hour to get 2 bloody Astalos Membrane ._.

As someone who was disappointed in practically every way with World, I am relieved to be playing GU, but if you've already played Gen then I'm not entirely sure it's worth it unless you don't mind more of the same...G Rank might be worth it, though. There are a ridiculous number of monsters this time around too, so there's plenty of variety. People whining about the visuals are, in my opinion, whining about nothing: it looks absolutely fine, and even if it can't match World's visuals it has substantially more personality...and really, comparing the two is a waste of time, because they're completely different games.

Control-wise it handles wonderfully in handheld mode, and having proper dual analogue is a real step up from the 3DS...it drains the battery life of the Switch something awful, though. The connection seems to be more stable than the 3DS too - I've not been thrown off or had major room issues yet, at least. Finding a room was half the battle in Gen, and the other half was staying in it >.>

I would say if you're interested in it, get it. If you're on the fence, play Gen again a little or download the demo and see how you feel.
      Thank you for the info fam, with this i'm more confident with my decision. It's funny how people whine about the graphics, you can't compare the visuals of a handheld with the powerhouse consoles. Imagine if these people saw Gen U on the 3DS, the Switch version has far more detail.
      When MHXX was announced back in 2016 I went and complete every quest, village, arena, got every medal except for the small monster crown (farming for small crown is a pain). So i guess i'm all set. I'm not too worried about doing the same guests over and over because as a long time fan i'm used to it.
        #30   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 29th, 2018 (7:42 AM).

I also transferred over my save. I worked too hard to surrender it! Currently HR 9 and going for limit break weapons.

Never thought I’d be so happy to fight a Nerscylla again. :’)

#31   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old August 29th, 2018 (6:07 PM).
      Life is a conundrum of esoterica

Nature: Jolly
        Good luck with the new monster Hunter game yall!

Watch me on the tubes! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcvEBrEeprmwf-csVTLH-jw
          #32   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old August 30th, 2018 (3:00 PM).

Haha thanks! So far it's been a blast.

I've never gotten to fight some of the monsters in this game before since my first game was MH4U. So it's great to finally experience these fights! Monsters like Barioth, Raging Brachydios, and Giadrome are completely new to me so it's really exciting! I finally feel like I'm completing my MH right of passage. :')

Quote:
        Originally Posted by bobandbill
        <3
        Will you hold my hand through Lao-Shan Lung plz ;;

#33   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old August 30th, 2018 (9:11 PM). Edited August 30th, 2018 by Dawn.
        of the Final Day

Oh god, Barioth is in MHGU isn't it...I freakin' HATE Barioth. It's an annoying fusion between the power of Tigrex and Nargacuga's tendency to just not sit still >.>

I've not fought Raging Brachydios either, so that should be interesting...

I'm HR5 now and still using Bherna armour...stopped to farm some bugs for the Rhopessa set to tide me over until Storge. I actually had someone ask me why I was still using it the other day in a room. xD
          #34   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old August 31st, 2018 (12:23 AM).
        This is fine.

I love Barioth, haha. One of my favourite monsters. It's hard to fight of course, but it was the first one at G rank that I learnt to properly fight by myself and farm a weapon/armour set out of, back in MH3U, and I liked its music and design.

I finally have net at home as of this morning (when I get there after work) so I can give MHGU a good play session or two over the weekend. Will share a friend code when home. Transferred data from the 3DS (did it briefly while at uni this morning) so I'll be at HR8 already, but I guess I will first have to talk to all the NPCs, figure out what the quests are and things to farm for early G rank armour first, etc.
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Fairy
        Will you hold my hand through Lao-Shan Lung plz ;;
        Never fought that before but sure. :V
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Dawn
        As someone who was disappointed in practically every way with World, I am relieved to be playing GU, but if you've already played Gen then I'm not entirely sure it's worth it unless you don't mind more of the same...G Rank might be worth it, though.
        As someone who hasn't played World, what disappoints you about it specifically? Curious to hear.
          #35   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old August 31st, 2018 (4:56 AM).
        of the Final Day

Quote:
        Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
        As someone who hasn't played World, what disappoints you about it specifically? Curious to hear.
        Well...there is actually quite a bit.

- The story. Or what passes for it. The narrative in Monster Hunter World is AWFUL, and the worst part of it is that you're forced to sit through it. I am fine with this in principle, but the narrative has to justify it, and this was 25 hours or so of pure undiluted torment.

- Tracking. Running around scraping up bits and pieces just to find monsters on the game's unnecessarily large and haphazardly designed maps was tedious, and the worst part of it is that over time if you don't hunt the monster you lose your tracking progress and have to do it all over again. It's not a terrible idea in principle - it's a good way to get new quests, and it helps lead you right to the monster once you find enough, which saves time - but it was so badly executed.

- Lack of unique monster music. This is something I love about MH that I don't think most people notice or appreciate - practically every monster has its own battle theme, and that makes every encounter special. The vast majority of monsters in World didn't, and it just didn't feel especially exciting a lot of the time...same boring area theme, same boring battle. Sure, there were some great new themes in the game - I love Val Hazak's in particular - but...well, it actually felt like a pretty standard RPG, with default battle themes and the elder dragons being bosses. I didn't like how the new monsters that weren't elder dragons or Bazel didn't merit their own music.

- The armour sets. They're so...bland. That sucks a huge part of the fun out of it for me - I LOVE fashion hunting, and everything is...gritty, and "realistic" and nothing really breaks the mould in terms of creativity. It takes the fun out of farming - which is already feeling more like a chore because of the samey music - and makes the personalisation of your character less interesting.

Basically World just feels like a standard ARPG to me...which is not in itself a bad thing (hell, I put 200+ hours into it for the platinum trophy, and I DID get some fun out of it) but Monster Hunter has never been that. I have nothing but praise for the way World streamlined multiplayer, which is what kept me playing despite my general distaste - SOS takes out the hell of finding a room, which is something I have always had an issue with - but that really is it.

It just wasn't a game for me, really. I don't want to run around pointlessly large maps scraping up a monster's leavings, between sitting through bland characters talk about migration or whatever else. People go on and on about the quality-of-life improvements World makes, but all it really does is make the series accessible to a casual audience...which is a great thing in a way, but I don't think it's a better game for it. It feels more like a spinoff than a proper instalment in the franchise, in my opinion.
          #36   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old August 31st, 2018 (4:37 PM). Edited August 31st, 2018 by Fairy.

Ah I love the Rhopessa armor! It's so pretty lol.

Also I have to agree with most of your criticisms of World too. Especially when it came to tracking monsters / story line. I just found it to be so tedious that I was getting distracted. Don't get me wrong, I love the way the environment looks and is so much more interactive, but it just felt very needlessly complicated. And when I wasn't confused I was just bored! But you put my frustration into words very well. World felt impersonal, like a knock-off mobile version of a great series, almost. I know that it's been great for introducing western audiences and bringing Monster Hunter to the forefront of public consciousness but it just never truly felt right to me.

#37   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 2nd, 2018 (1:05 AM).
        This is fine.

Cheers, interesting read. Not planning to get World but it was mostly because I have more than enough games to play already, haha. But it's been nice to get back to MH.

Internet was not working but it is now, and can do overseas multiplayer pretty well. =) Only done a bit of single player (I do like the ending of that first new Urgent quest on that note, genuinely surprised me), but up to HR10 of the Hub quests. Maybe HR11 today. :B

Been sticking to Insect Glaive so far but will get back to longsword later; need to plan out upgrading existing weapons and updating others. Got Arzuros G-rank armour so I don't insta-die for now. Anyone know any particular armour sets that are good in general, or particularly for those weapons I main?

My Switch FC is SW-7390-6897-5692.
          #38   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 3rd, 2018 (4:01 PM). Edited September 3rd, 2018 by Fairy.

I'm still milking what little I can out of my High Rank sets. I'm not ready to let all of that grinding go, haha. Figure I can probably push it to G3 before I need to actually replace anything and Deviants I can just upgrade as I go.

Everything I've read suggests the Ceanataur X set is fantastic. You can also Limit Break for HR gear too!

I've been making the new weapons (since I collect every family of every weapon I main), and so far they seem underwhelming. I'm going to need to keep advancing if I want to start getting better materials.

Anyway, Switch FC is: 7755-1826-2784

Come hunt with me! :) Also don't be afraid to post any quests you might be struggling with here!

#39   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 4th, 2018 (9:24 AM).
        of the Final Day

Jho Cena (alternate between Esurient XR and Ceanataur XR) is widely considered one of the best melee sets around - it has a ton of slots, and even without a charm nets you Handicraft +15, Sharpness +11, and Expert +7. You need Savage Jho to get it though, which is HR45.

I just broke HR and I'm only 31...I have a loooong way to go. I'm thinking of learning Aerial IG or Brave SnS now, just to shake things up...I can't really build the sets I want until HR45 anyway.
          #40   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 5th, 2018 (6:12 AM).

Quote:
        Brave SnS now
        I've been experimenting with this, and I absolutely love it. Valor SnS and LS has been so, so much fun to play with so far. I've always been a fast player, so this style is really working with me now that I've taken the time to actually learn it.

Anyone given any time to the Alchemy style yet? I like the idea it with HH as an ultimate support player but I haven't been online much to test it.

#41   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 5th, 2018 (1:16 PM).

hi

I'm looking to get a new game. Figure that Monster Hunter would be worth trying out. Where would be a good place for me to start? Which ones are worth getting/which ones should I stay away from?

I have a 3DS, Wii, Wii U, PS3 (non-backwards compatible), PS4, and Xbox 360.
          #42   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 5th, 2018 (9:14 PM).
        of the Final Day

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Nah View Post
        I'm looking to get a new game. Figure that Monster Hunter would be worth trying out. Where would be a good place for me to start? Which ones are worth getting/which ones should I stay away from?
        I strongly urge you to download the demo for Monster Hunter Stories off the eShop and try that out. Stories is a spinoff with a more detailed narrative, and a battle system which I suppose you could like to Pokemon meets Fire Emblem - turn-based battles with a weapon triangle. The narrative is cheesy but not AWFUL, and it does its own thing surprisingly well. Coming in from Pokemon you might even find you enjoy it more: you breed and raise monsters rather than hunt them, and the combat is surprisingly fun once you get used to the slight RNG there is in monster standard attacks...it's very easy to manipulate thankfully. It also has a lovely art style.

Personally I would be hesitant to recommend the older 3DS Monster Hunter titles now, if only because the online will be basically dead now and I think the games are best played with other people. Playing the games by yourself can be pretty damn painful when it comes to grinding, and soloing Hub Quests - which are more than half the game - is damn near impossible unless you are very, VERY good at the game. At least in high rank.

Buuuuut if that doesn't bother you, I'd say Generations over 4U or 3U, primarily because of the hunting styles. Those gives you numerous ways to play with a weapon. Complaints about Gen stem primarily from G Rank being removed from it, but if you're going to get a Switch in the future - are you? - you can always transfer your save into Generations Ultimate if you plan on playing that

I do not recommend World as a starting title. Not if you intend to play "classic" MH like Generations Ultimate at a later date. World is...not a proper Monster Hunter experience in my opinion, any more than Stories is. That isn't to say it's not enjoyable in its own way, but it still isn't an MH experience. The online community is thriving and you'd get a lot of enjoyment out of it though...once you'd slogged through the godawful story.

It's a lot more simplistic and if you don't have the patience right now for complex systems, grinding, or learning how to use a weapon properly, World would be a better choice: it has no weapon styles, a much easier to manipulate armor skill system, and it's a very easy game...at least up until Tempered Elder Dragons. It's a standard-issue (but still very polished for all that) ARPG, basically. It also has a considerably smaller roster of monsters.

tl;dr - try the Stories demo first, but if you want classic MH go for Generations, and if you don't care then go for World. If you're feeling crazy buy a Switch and Generations Ultimate. Would be my suggestion :3
          #43   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 6th, 2018 (4:35 AM).

I plan to get a Switch eventually, but I'm not sure when I'll actually get around to purchasing one. Thanks for the post, I think I know what I'll do now.
          #44   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 6th, 2018 (1:47 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Nah View Post
        hi

I have a 3DS, Wii, Wii U, PS3 (non-backwards compatible), PS4, and Xbox 360.
        I honestly think Generations is the best place to start for you. It's a great game, it will teach you everything you need to know, and when the time is right you can move on to Generations Ultimate with g-rank and all the super tough stuff. The games flow seamlessly into one another so the transition is very easy. Overall it is by far the most polished MH game in terms of game play and the most new user-friendly MH game to date.

And hey, if you decide to get Generations, I wouldn't mind hopping on again and helping out! I'm gonna go ahead and add you to the club even though you don't have a preferred weapon. Unless you do????

#45   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 6th, 2018 (4:24 PM).

I went and placed an order for Generations earlier today. Gonna hit up that Stories demo too.

You can add me to the list yeah. No weapon for now though, kinda hard to have a preferred weapon at this point.
          #46   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 6th, 2018 (5:01 PM).

Awesome! I think you're really going to like both of them. Just remember to be patient with things! If you feel like it go ahead and post your FC. n_n Then if you need help with quests just ask!

I'm legitimately so excited for you, I hope you love it!

Also finally unlocked the final inventory expansion in Gen Ultimate so that was such a huge relief. I've no doubt it'll fill up just as quickly but it was getting tight in there lmao.

#47   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 6th, 2018 (8:47 PM).
        of the Final Day

I still need to do that...but I'm not really interested in doing more village quests right now. xD;

I've been working on farming materials for transmog...I have a nice Gore mixed set with Nephilim helm for my eventual endgame bow set sorted out, but nothing really fits for Blademaster.

Alatreon is the worst monster ever and I hate it. Getting webbings is impossible and it's infuriating because I was hoping to transmog the disgustingly awful-looking Jho Cena set to Shinobi Heaven (sans the mask) and I'd need 4 webbing to do it ._.
          #48   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 7th, 2018 (9:00 AM).
        This is fine.

Up to HR 12 now; played a fair bit last weekend with a friend. He helped me to HR11 and then we got to 12 together.

Just got a Barioth armour set that will serve my aerial insect glaive well. Going to hunt it a couple more times to make its ice longsword as that seems serviceable. Maxed out a fire element longsword I used in MHG - one of those weapons that isn't based on a single monster, just random items. Need to figure out plans for other weapons...

Quote:
        I strongly urge you to download the demo for Monster Hunter Stories off the eShop and try that out. Stories is a spinoff with a more detailed narrative, and a battle system which I suppose you could like to Pokemon meets Fire Emblem - turn-based battles with a weapon triangle. The narrative is cheesy but not AWFUL, and it does its own thing surprisingly well. Coming in from Pokemon you might even find you enjoy it more: you breed and raise monsters rather than hunt them, and the combat is surprisingly fun once you get used to the slight RNG there is in monster standard attacks...it's very easy to manipulate thankfully. It also has a lovely art style.
        I forgot about Stories, haha. I played its demo and enjoyed it, but did not pick up the full game (yet). Certainly worth trying the demo.
        Quote:
        Buuuuut if that doesn't bother you, I'd say Generations over 4U or 3U, primarily because of the hunting styles. Those gives you numerous ways to play with a weapon. Complaints about Gen stem primarily from G Rank being removed from it, but if you're going to get a Switch in the future - are you? - you can always transfer your save into Generations Ultimate if you plan on playing that
        Agreed with this - and it's also newer than those titles too. Otherwise I'd get a Switch and MHGU; no comment on World myself having never played it. :V
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
        Also finally unlocked the final inventory expansion in Gen Ultimate so that was such a huge relief. I've no doubt it'll fill up just as quickly but it was getting tight in there lmao.
        Oh dang of course there's another one of these. Time to look it up I suppose because I had to sell some items to make box space!
        Quote:
        Alatreon is the worst monster ever and I hate it. Getting webbings is impossible and it's infuriating because I was hoping to transmog the disgustingly awful-looking Jho Cena set to Shinobi Heaven (sans the mask) and I'd need 4 webbing to do it ._.
        Ugh I hate Alatreon from MH3U. Was such a bother for me in that last village quest.
          #49   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 8th, 2018 (5:21 PM).

Aw, I actually like the Alatraeon fight! I love how diverse it is. I mean, yeah it's long and tedious and gems like never drop but most of the time I've gotten whatever item I needed by using the Aerial IG.

#50   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old September 9th, 2018 (6:09 AM).

Monster Hunter
        Club ★ Update

MONSTER HUNTER WORLD:
        The Autumn Harvest Fest begins on September 21.
        I know we don't have many World players here (and I'm a day late to this news) but I think this is a neat event that could use some exposure and discussion.
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Gamespot
        Capcom is kicking off Monster Hunter World's second seasonal event very soon. The Autumn Harvest Fest begins on PS4 and Xbox One later this month, on September 21, and it features a new set of quests to complete along with special Halloween-themed items and equipment to get your hands on.

During the event, the Celestial Pursuit will be adorned with colorful Halloween and autumn-themed decorations like leaves and pumpkins. You'll receive two Lucky Vouchers as part of your daily login bonus throughout the Autumn Harvest Fest, as well as one Autumn Harvest Ticket. You'll need to collect enough of the latter to craft the new Autumn Harvest Fest gear.

In addition to that, Capcom says that "almost all" previous Event Quests will be available during the Autumn Harvest Fest, as will a handful of event-exclusive quests. Limited-time bounties will rotate daily; completing these will earn you either Harvest Fireworks or Autumn Harvest Tickets. All facilities will also hold sales during the event, and the Gathering Hub will offer "special seasonal platters."

Quick Reply