Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Ad Content
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 14th, 2018 (12:24 PM).
Nah's Avatar
Nah Nah is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
I'll wait to see whether or not the Democrats "[play] any nicer in the future" rather than make the assumption that they are just as corrupt as the Republican Party.
sure, one party might be less bad than the other, but it doesn't change the fact that both are still dirty and that we shouldn't settle for the less dirty one
__________________
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
Reply With Quote
  #27   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 14th, 2018 (12:32 PM). Edited October 14th, 2018 by colours.
colours's Avatar
colours colours is online now
wandererjustlikeme 🌺
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in an eternal dream
Gender: Female
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
sure, one party might be less bad than the other, but it doesn't change the fact that both are still dirty and that we shouldn't settle for the less dirty one
That's how it always is, though. You can't cross your fingers and hope for either party to change; you start by voting for local elections and make changes from the ground up. Staying at home isn't making your voice heard, it's saying you really don't give a muk what happens anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #28   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 14th, 2018 (12:39 PM).
Tsutarja's Avatar
Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa, Florida
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 23,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
sure, one party might be less bad than the other, but it doesn't change the fact that both are still dirty and that we shouldn't settle for the less dirty one
I can agree with this statement. I agree in that yes both parties are evil, and that really showed in the 2016 Presidential Election with all the uptick in third-party voting we saw because millions of Americans disliked both the Democratic and Republican candidates. However, the prominence of the two-party system is just too high for third parties to shine through and reach the top.
__________________
There's no way I can abandon anything. It's not something that can be so easily reversed.
Reply With Quote
  #29   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 14th, 2018 (12:59 PM).
Nah's Avatar
Nah Nah is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by colours View Post
That's how it always is, though. You can't cross your fingers and hope for either party to change; you start by voting for local elections and make changes from the ground up. Staying at home isn't making your voice heard, it's saying you really don't give a muk what happens anymore.
It's not so much a "hey let's do nothing and hope something changes for no reason because that is totally logical" as it is a "what can we even do really?" sort of thing.

What do you do when there's never any good candidates? What do you do when the good ones often don't have a realistic chance of winning, and in significant enough numbers at that? What impact can some useless nobody like me ever even have?
__________________
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
Reply With Quote
  #30   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 14th, 2018 (1:13 PM).
colours's Avatar
colours colours is online now
wandererjustlikeme 🌺
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: in an eternal dream
Gender: Female
Nature: Jolly
Posts: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
What impact can some useless nobody like me ever even have?
I'd like to focus on this question more importantly because this is a re-worded version of "why vote if it doesn't matter", which time and time again is proven to be utter crap, bluntly speaking. If you've been paying attention to special elections for the past year, you'd know yourself that it isn't true. Elections that come within a hair are why individual people's vote matters. A lot.

While it's fair to be cynical and I don't blame you on being the such, to imply that your voice is useless is fundamentally false.
Reply With Quote
  #31   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 15th, 2018 (4:13 PM).
MortalPhoenix's Avatar
MortalPhoenix MortalPhoenix is offline
     
    Join Date: Jun 2018
    Location: USA
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Serious
    Posts: 68
    This is a tough election for me. Originally I was thinking of voting for Bob Hugin over Bob Menendez because of the latter's political scandal...and then I found out pretty quickly that Bob Hugin had his own issues that were far worse than Bob Menendez. After that, I decided that I wouldn't vote as my Congressmen was safe and I saw no point in voting for who should be Senator of New Jersey. I decided stop paying attention to politics for a few months. However, what has gotten me motivated was the Brett Kavanaugh nomination and confirmation. With this, I'm very likely going to vote.

    However, I'm waiting for the Senate debate on October 24th to see what Bob Menendez will do as Senator of New Jersey, cus he isn't as outspoken as his counterpart Cory Booker. I'm willing to hold my nose and vote for Bob Menendez, if it means stopping Bob Hugin as he would've voted for Brett Kavanaugh...despite everything bad with Brett Kavanaugh. :/

    In terms of which party will hold the Senate, it appears likely that the Republicans will hold it.

    In the House, it appears likely that the Democrats will control it. However, we will see by how much.
    Reply With Quote
      #32   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old October 22nd, 2018 (7:50 AM).
    TheGhostHunter's Avatar
    TheGhostHunter TheGhostHunter is online now
    Spooky Girl with a Computer
       
      Join Date: Nov 2016
      Location: Lavender Town
      Age: 19
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Careful
      Posts: 292
      I think that I am voting left (first time voter) mainly because I am kind of sick of the insane mess that this administration has become.
      __________________
      "And so being young and dipped in folly, I fell in love with melancholy" -Edgar Allan Poe


      Name: Shade
      Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
      Reply With Quote
        #33   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old October 23rd, 2018 (3:59 PM).
      twocows's Avatar
      twocows twocows is offline
      Primary form of sustenance is cute images
       
      Join Date: Mar 2009
      Location: Michigan
      Age: 28
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lax
      Posts: 4,271
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
      ....and Republicans are the ones playing nice? They are the ones who are acting hardcore partisan on the issues of this country, and are acting hypocritical on so many levels at the moment.
      I don't really see how what they're doing is any different from what the Democrats did when they had a majority in both houses. Passing bills with partisan margins isn't anything new; as an example, the ACA passed entirely on party lines. This, at least, is just politics as usual.

      Quote:
      We've seen Republicans act stubborn towards Democrats, and they have had Congress for the past six years. I'll wait to see whether or not the Democrats "[play] any nicer in the future" rather than make the assumption that they are just as corrupt as the Republican Party.
      I guess I don't really get what you mean by Republicans being stubborn; they're passing bills because they're in power, which is exactly what the Democrats do when they're in power. I also don't really get how you see the Republicans' behavior as being distinct from the Democrats with respect to partisanship. Can you clarify what exactly you're referring to?

      The main difference I've seen lately is that most Democrats seem perfectly willing to tolerate other Democrats acting in ways that are almost cartoonishly villainous. When Maxine Waters called for targeted harassment of Trump cabinet members, a couple of high ranking Democrats condemned it in a one or two line post that they had to have known no one would really pay attention to. This was something that I felt should have resulted in widespread condemnation (possibly censure) by the DNC at large, and yet as far as I know, she never really faced any consequences internally for what she said. I'm not going to say I think the Trump cabinet members are particularly great people themselves, but I think it's very wrong to encourage violence or harassment over political differences, especially when there's an existing problem of people already doing exactly that. Her statements legitimize and embolden people who think harassment and violence are legitimate reactions to political disagreement and I lack the words to describe how awful I think that is.

      If it was just this one thing, I could probably just overlook it, but I was already really irritated in 2016 by the DNC's tepid attitude toward what I see as an alarming upswing in extremist attitudes on the left. It seems to me like they're becoming more forgiving of it rather than less.

      As for the other side, I haven't really seen Republicans going out and harassing Democrat politicians in restaurants, in the streets, etc., and I haven't seen Republican congresspeople encouraging them to do that, either. Whether or not I think congressional Republicans actually care about taking the high road, they're certainly content to look like they're taking the high road by comparison (for obvious reasons, they have no problem calling out the antics of the far left). I'm both surprised and disappointed that the Democrats look so bad to me right now that the Republicans can look reasonable by comparison even with Trump acting how he does on Twitter, but that's the situation I find myself in.

      Quote:
      Additionally, at least the DNC did good in removing Debbie Wasserman Schultz from her position as chair in 2016, and that was the basis of corruption in the Democratic Party.
      I think it was a good move but I hardly think she was solely responsible for all of the party's ills. I know she was the chair, but what exactly was she responsible for within the party? I don't know how much impact getting rid of her really had. On the contrary, it seems to me like the Democratic Party of today has the exact same problems that led me to vote almost straight ticket Libertarian in 2016: they don't really care about their extremists and their intentions seem to diverge from what I believed their principles to be. If they took a much harder line with their extremists and realigned their platform with what their principles were 10-15 years ago (peace, prosperity, progress), I'd be back to supporting them pretty quick.
      __________________
      8values
      Political Simulator
      Reply With Quote
        #34   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old October 25th, 2018 (7:55 PM).
      MortalPhoenix's Avatar
      MortalPhoenix MortalPhoenix is offline
         
        Join Date: Jun 2018
        Location: USA
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Serious
        Posts: 68
        I voted today for early voting. Now it is the waiting game to see what happens on November 6th.
        Reply With Quote
          #35   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 26th, 2018 (1:28 AM). Edited October 26th, 2018 by colours.
        colours's Avatar
        colours colours is online now
        wandererjustlikeme 🌺
         
        Join Date: Apr 2005
        Location: in an eternal dream
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 2,957
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by twocows View Post
        The main difference I've seen lately is that most Democrats seem perfectly willing to tolerate other Democrats acting in ways that are almost cartoonishly villainous.
        While you can hold whatever beliefs you want, I find this in particular to be especially really interesting considering the Republican Party that you like to exonerate so much is bending hella hard to a President who is acting/has been acting "cartoonishly villainous" for as long as he's been in office.

        The entire reasoning for your post is also interesting, considering that you use the larger democratic base heckling top-ranking Republican officials as some sort of moral line that's been breached, but apparently not the fact that the Republican Party refused to do literally anything about children being separated from their families? What about tolerating the fact that during this, toddlers were forced to represent themselves during immigration court? What about when the President starting cozying up to Vladimir Putin during the Summit, threw the country under a bus, and all that did was earn some "scolding" from the Republicans and no real action from them? They're the ones in power, surely they'd be able to do something, right? Imagine if Obama did half the stuff Trump got away with -- Mitch Mconnell would just personally stuff impeachment papers down Obama's throat.

        For all the disappointment and pessimism you express about the Democrats and their base, you seem either perfectly content with (or ignore) the fact that the party across the isle is currently doing nothing to stand up to a President who's pretty content with throwing LGBT people under the bus, as well as the fact that -- oh look -- the GA Republican Secretary of State is accused of blocking 53,000 voter registrations (the vast majority of which are African-American) because of fears of "voter fraud" lol which is a classic Republican cop-out move.

        I mean, I can go on and on. You'd like to use Maxine Waters as an example of Democrats going too far? That's funny considering that Ted Cruz joked about his opponent sharing a jail cell with Hillary Clinton. What kind of crime did Beto commit? Being a Democrat and running a legitimate campaign? Good to know that these things are horrible felonies apparently. Not even going to touch on Clinton because that's beating a supremely dead horse.

        Also interesting that you apparently don't see Republicans as "stubborn". Have you forgotten that the GOP has made it their life goal to repeat Obamacare, including abolishing protections for people with pre-existing conditions? Hey, here's a gem actually -- some House Republicans are actually campaigning on being the champion for those who suffer from pre-existing conditions despite voting to repeal the ACA -- so you can make what you will of that. In my books, that's certainly cartoonish in the sense that it's just so ridiculously funny and mindblowing in 2018 in the age of publicly available information that people would lie so blantatly like that, but that's just me.

        Like I said, you're free to ultimately choose what you want to believe, but to pretend the Republicans are god-fearing American patriots who's hands are clean of all sort of moral wrongdoing is ridiculous. While the Democrats certainly aren't a shining example of an amazing political party, I don't see Maxine Waters or really any self-respecting high level Democratic official attacking the media during a time where suspected explosives are being sent to Democratic officials, so...
        Reply With Quote
          #36   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 26th, 2018 (1:31 AM). Edited October 26th, 2018 by Ivysaur.
        Ivysaur's Avatar
        Ivysaur Ivysaur is offline
        You found a heart!
         
        Join Date: Mar 2007
        Location: Madrid
        Age: 28
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 20,369
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by twocows View Post
        I think it's very wrong to encourage violence or harassment over political differences, especially when there's an existing problem of people already doing exactly that. Her statements legitimize and embolden people who think harassment and violence are legitimate reactions to political disagreement and I lack the words to describe how awful I think that is.
        Hey, remember when Montana GOP Rep. Greg Gianforte assaulted a reporter and pled guilty of assault? And then a guy called Donald Trump praised him for exerting violence?

        "Any guy who can do a body slam, he's my guy!"
        "I heard he body slammed a reporter and he was way up, and I said, wait a minute, I know Montana very well, it may help him!"

        Here, so you can listen to it yourself: https://youtu.be/QwiaCUUScqc?t=62

        I mean, I think it's a bit strange for you to go all-in on a random democratic representative for "emboldening" people who think that violence is a legitimate reaction when you have the president of the US and leader of the other party publicly praising a GOP congressman who committed actual assault.

        Quote:
        I was already really irritated in 2016 by the DNC's tepid attitude toward what I see as an alarming upswing in extremist attitudes on the left. It seems to me like they're becoming more forgiving of it rather than less.
        I mean, remember when a guy called Donald Trump said he'd like to punch a protester in his rallies? And when he promised to pay the legal bills for any of his supporters who assaulted one of those protesters? And when one of his supporters did sucker punch a protester and he blamed the protester? And when he said the neo-nazi march in Charlottesville was full of "very fine people"?

        Like, I think you have a very serious case of seeing motes in every Democrat instead of the 10-metre-tall beam called Donald J. Trump, who is using the highest office in the country to do every bad thing you accuse democrats of, combined into a single, relentless person.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #37   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 26th, 2018 (4:33 AM).
        Nah's Avatar
        Nah Nah is offline
         
        Join Date: Nov 2013
        Age: 26
        Gender: Female
        Posts: 12,966
        The Republicans certainly aren't clean either, not even remotely, but the main point I got out of twocow's post was more how it seems that people these days are so very willing to turn a blind eye to or try to justify any wrongdoing that their chosen side commits, while calling out the other side for the very same things. People demand fairness and accountability, but apparently only from the people they have deemed their enemies.

        It's something that I think applies to not just Democrats and Republicans, but to all social/political issues in general really.
        __________________
        Nah ンン
        “No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
        Reply With Quote
          #38   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old November 4th, 2018 (4:30 PM). Edited November 4th, 2018 by twocows.
        twocows's Avatar
        twocows twocows is offline
        Primary form of sustenance is cute images
         
        Join Date: Mar 2009
        Location: Michigan
        Age: 28
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lax
        Posts: 4,271
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by colours View Post
        While you can hold whatever beliefs you want, I find this in particular to be especially really interesting considering the Republican Party that you like to exonerate so much is bending hella hard to a President who is acting/has been acting "cartoonishly villainous" for as long as he's been in office.
        I don't really think they're much better and I think the way the President acts is unbecoming to say the least. That doesn't change how I feel about the Democrats, though. There's definitely a very real problem with people on the left harassing people on the right over political differences and there's very little indication that this is even recognized as a significant problem internally. I won't vote for Democrats until there's an about-face on that because I think it's the core of the left's toxicity right now; everything the Democrats do right now is poisoned by that mindset and until there's at least some admission that it's a really nasty problem, I think supporting the Democrats would be bad for the country. Right now, I'm not very happy with either the Democrats or the Republicans. I briefly entertained the idea of voting Republican, but after thinking about it, I don't think that'll happen. I'll probably end up mostly voting Libertarian like I usually do, but I have to review all of the candidates first.

        Quote:
        The entire reasoning for your post is also interesting, considering that you use the larger democratic base heckling top-ranking Republican officials as some sort of moral line that's been breached,
        Yes, I generally think encouraging violence over political differences is a pretty bad line to cross. Self-defense is one thing, actively telling people they should go out and harass their political opponents is another.

        Quote:
        but apparently not the fact that the Republican Party refused to do literally anything about children being separated from their families? What about tolerating the fact that during this, toddlers were forced to represent themselves during immigration court? What about when the President starting cozying up to Vladimir Putin during the Summit, threw the country under a bus, and all that did was earn some "scolding" from the Republicans and no real action from them? They're the ones in power, surely they'd be able to do something, right? Imagine if Obama did half the stuff Trump got away with -- Mitch Mconnell would just personally stuff impeachment papers down Obama's throat.

        For all the disappointment and pessimism you express about the Democrats and their base, you seem either perfectly content with (or ignore) the fact that the party across the isle is currently doing nothing to stand up to a President who's pretty content with throwing LGBT people under the bus, as well as the fact that -- oh look -- the GA Republican Secretary of State is accused of blocking 53,000 voter registrations (the vast majority of which are African-American) because of fears of "voter fraud" lol which is a classic Republican cop-out move.
        These are completely separate issues that really have nothing to do with the original point of encouraging harassment over political differences. Rather, it's a list of your personal grievances with the President and his politics, some of which I outright agree with, others which I could probably spend some time arguing separately. Considering I'm not voting for the President (he's not even up for re-election), I don't see how any of it is relevant unless you're offering it up as a reason why harassment over political differences is acceptable.

        Let me explain why I take issue with this so much. Mankind has a very long history of solving our problems through violent means. Violence is our natural response to perceived injustices, valid or not. Early forms of government organized this so power was centralized and people weren't killing each other to solve disagreements, but that meant ordinary people didn't really have any way to redress their grievances other than to hope the despot was reasonable.

        The system that the founding fathers created was designed to allow ordinary people to resolve problems through peaceful and intelligent means like discourse and advocacy. Any problem you might have can (ideally) be resolved by working within the system, you just need to be able to convince people to your way of thinking. There are definitely some flaws with our system that interfere with how it should work in an ideal world, but the core idea was still a very good one.

        Normalizing harassment as a way to redress political grievances moves us backward toward our old way of conflict resolution. No matter who you are or what you believe, there will always be some great villain committing some great evil. It's normal to want to dehumanize the people you disagree with, to want to stop the "great evil" through the most direct means. It even feels good because you're "fighting evil." It's also wrong and undermines a system that I believe was a huge step forward, one designed to allow a violent species to resolve problems through non-violent means while still giving ordinary people some degree of power over the way they are governed.

        Quote:
        I mean, I can go on and on. You'd like to use Maxine Waters as an example of Democrats going too far? That's funny considering that Ted Cruz joked about his opponent sharing a jail cell with Hillary Clinton.
        That was poor taste but I don't think it was remotely similar to inciting harassment.

        Quote:
        Also interesting that you apparently don't see Republicans as "stubborn". Have you forgotten that the GOP has made it their life goal to repeat Obamacare, including abolishing protections for people with pre-existing conditions? Hey, here's a gem actually -- some House Republicans are actually campaigning on being the champion for those who suffer from pre-existing conditions despite voting to repeal the ACA -- so you can make what you will of that. In my books, that's certainly cartoonish in the sense that it's just so ridiculously funny and mindblowing in 2018 in the age of publicly available information that people would lie so blantatly like that, but that's just me.
        I get that you don't like the Republican Party's politics. I disagree with a lot of their politics as well. You're not getting the core problem I have with the Democrats. It's not about what their stance is on healthcare or abortion or whatever; it goes a lot deeper than that.

        Quote:
        Like I said, you're free to ultimately choose what you want to believe, but to pretend the Republicans are god-fearing American patriots who's hands are clean of all sort of moral wrongdoing is ridiculous.
        I don't think the Republicans are free of moral wrongdoing at all. I have a lot of problems with the Republican Party's politics, and I have a lot of problems with the way Trump in particular behaves. I don't yet see the Republicans having as severe of a problem with responding to political differences with harassment, though.

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Ivysaur View Post
        Hey, remember when Montana GOP Rep. Greg Gianforte assaulted a reporter and pled guilty of assault? And then a guy called Donald Trump praised him for exerting violence?

        "Any guy who can do a body slam, he's my guy!"
        "I heard he body slammed a reporter and he was way up, and I said, wait a minute, I know Montana very well, it may help him!"

        Here, so you can listen to it yourself: https://youtu.be/QwiaCUUScqc?t=62

        I mean, I think it's a bit strange for you to go all-in on a random democratic representative for "emboldening" people who think that violence is a legitimate reaction when you have the president of the US and leader of the other party publicly praising a GOP congressman who committed actual assault.
        I have to admit, that's a good point. I don't at all like that Trump defended that. I think it's morally wrong to justify violence as a response to political differences, however the reporter may have been acting. The underlying implication is that it's acceptable to use violence if someone's doing something you find annoying; I think that's wrong, and I think it's wrong to defend it.

        Quote:
        I mean, remember when a guy called Donald Trump said he'd like to punch a protester in his rallies? And when he promised to pay the legal bills for any of his supporters who assaulted one of those protesters? And when one of his supporters did sucker punch a protester and he blamed the protester?
        That's also a good point.

        Quote:
        Like, I think you have a very serious case of seeing motes in every Democrat instead of the 10-metre-tall beam called Donald J. Trump, who is using the highest office in the country to do every bad thing you accuse democrats of, combined into a single, relentless person.
        I definitely agree that Trump inciting people is a major problem. It's entirely possible my grievances with the left may be blinding me to similar issues present on the right, or issues that are starting to become present on the right. It doesn't change how I feel about the Democrats at all, but it may be that Trump has started the Republicans down the same path that originally distanced me from the Democrats. If that's the case, it's very worrying. At the very least, I don't want to enable that in any way. I appreciate the response, it definitely gave me something to think about.

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Nah View Post
        The Republicans certainly aren't clean either, not even remotely, but the main point I got out of twocow's post was more how it seems that people these days are so very willing to turn a blind eye to or try to justify any wrongdoing that their chosen side commits, while calling out the other side for the very same things. People demand fairness and accountability, but apparently only from the people they have deemed their enemies.

        It's something that I think applies to not just Democrats and Republicans, but to all social/political issues in general really.
        For sure. It's something I've done, too, I won't claim to be innocent. It's really easy to see the injustice in what the other side's doing, it's a lot harder to see it when it's the people you like.
        __________________
        8values
        Political Simulator
        Reply With Quote
          #39   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old November 4th, 2018 (6:27 PM). Edited November 4th, 2018 by TheGhostHunter.
        TheGhostHunter's Avatar
        TheGhostHunter TheGhostHunter is online now
        Spooky Girl with a Computer
           
          Join Date: Nov 2016
          Location: Lavender Town
          Age: 19
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Careful
          Posts: 292
          In PA, voting for Casey (Senate), Wolf (Governer) and Fetterman (Lt. Governer)
          __________________
          "And so being young and dipped in folly, I fell in love with melancholy" -Edgar Allan Poe


          Name: Shade
          Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
          Reply With Quote
            #40   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 6th, 2018 (4:29 AM).
          Nah's Avatar
          Nah Nah is offline
           
          Join Date: Nov 2013
          Age: 26
          Gender: Female
          Posts: 12,966
          So the day is here.

          Now we wait and see what happens.
          __________________
          Nah ンン
          “No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
          Reply With Quote
            #41   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 6th, 2018 (6:21 AM).
          Trev's Avatar
          Trev Trev is online now
           
          Join Date: May 2012
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Sassy
          Posts: 1,554
          My roommates told me that the officials at their voting both said that voter turnout for early voting was higher than turnout for voting in the presidental election, and that the majority are under 30. Do with that what you will.
          __________________






          Reply With Quote
            #42   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 6th, 2018 (6:37 AM).
          colours's Avatar
          colours colours is online now
          wandererjustlikeme 🌺
           
          Join Date: Apr 2005
          Location: in an eternal dream
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 2,957
          I'm just gonna say this:

          regardless of how this is going to go, the focus really is going to be on the millenial voter.
          Reply With Quote
            #43   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 6th, 2018 (7:03 AM).
          Tsutarja's Avatar
          Tsutarja Tsutarja is online now
           
          Join Date: Mar 2010
          Location: Tampa, Florida
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 23,351
          I'm really anxious to see how it all plays out. I live in a red area of a blue county, and my congressional district has no incumbent. It's probably the highest battleground in Florida right now, too.
          __________________
          There's no way I can abandon anything. It's not something that can be so easily reversed.
          Reply With Quote
            #44   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old November 6th, 2018 (8:20 AM).
          MortalPhoenix's Avatar
          MortalPhoenix MortalPhoenix is offline
             
            Join Date: Jun 2018
            Location: USA
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Serious
            Posts: 68
            As much as I would like to watch to see how this all plays out, I'm working a night shift tonight. I won't get home until close to midnight, so I will be able to watch how the elections play in Alaska.
            Reply With Quote
              #45   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old November 6th, 2018 (9:56 AM).
            TailsMK4 TailsMK4 is offline
               
              Join Date: Jun 2018
              Location: Texas
              Age: 28
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 372
              From my experience watching coverage of the elections, you probably won't get the full story until you watch the news on the 7th. I remember staying up for some time watching...I THINK it was Politico's polling website while the votes for the 2016 presidential election were still being counted. I was too tired to watch any further when Clinton apparently called Trump to concede. Only thing that'll change this time around is I'll probably refer to Fox News's polling website instead, but I definitely have an interest in what happens today. No matter what happens, though, I hope the people elected will focus on improving the country/state/city and not trying to push agendas.
              __________________
              Current VPP: (to evolve into an Umbreon) --------------- Fire Type Emblem Character: Coral
              Reply With Quote
                #46   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 6th, 2018 (11:32 AM).
              erik destler's Avatar
              erik destler erik destler is online now
              move, i'm gay
               
              Join Date: Jun 2005
              Location: louisiana
              Age: 27
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Naughty
              Posts: 4,971
              I wish I hadn't bungled my state-residency. I was a resident of Texas up until like 2 weeks ago, when I had to switch to Louisiana to update my car registration. Which, unfortunately, puts me out of the criteria to be an eligible voter in Louisiana as it was a few days after the voter registration deadline.

              I hope everyone else who can vote does so, though! The millennial vote will hopefully make a big difference.
              __________________
              Paired with Laslow and Cherrim
              Like The PokéCommunity on Facebook! | Mod of Off-Topic
              Come chat with us on the PokéCommunity Discord.
              Reply With Quote
                #47   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 6th, 2018 (12:15 PM).
              Nah's Avatar
              Nah Nah is offline
               
              Join Date: Nov 2013
              Age: 26
              Gender: Female
              Posts: 12,966
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Trev View Post
              My roommates told me that the officials at their voting both said that voter turnout for early voting was higher than turnout for voting in the presidental election, and that the majority are under 30. Do with that what you will.
              Yeah, the news has be noting a lot as of late how voter registration and early ballot submissions and whatnot is very high this year, I think even breaking records in some areas. Places are probably getting bigger turnout today than they have in years I'd imagine. It's not really surprising why though.
              __________________
              Nah ンン
              “No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
              Reply With Quote
                #48   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 6th, 2018 (5:22 PM).
              erik destler's Avatar
              erik destler erik destler is online now
              move, i'm gay
               
              Join Date: Jun 2005
              Location: louisiana
              Age: 27
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Naughty
              Posts: 4,971
              Man, these results are stressful.
              __________________
              Paired with Laslow and Cherrim
              Like The PokéCommunity on Facebook! | Mod of Off-Topic
              Come chat with us on the PokéCommunity Discord.
              Reply With Quote
                #49   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old November 6th, 2018 (5:40 PM).
              TheGhostHunter's Avatar
              TheGhostHunter TheGhostHunter is online now
              Spooky Girl with a Computer
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2016
                Location: Lavender Town
                Age: 19
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Careful
                Posts: 292
                Casey projected to win Governer in PA.
                __________________
                "And so being young and dipped in folly, I fell in love with melancholy" -Edgar Allan Poe


                Name: Shade
                Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                Reply With Quote
                  #50   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old November 6th, 2018 (6:05 PM).
                tokyodrift's Avatar
                tokyodrift tokyodrift is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2011
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Sassy
                Posts: 3,347
                Tim Kaine obviously won VA, that really wasn't a shock to me. I'm more interested in the Florida and Georgia races tbh. Though to be quite honest my states district has always been red, and unfortunately that didn't change tonight.
                Reply With Quote
                Reply

                Quick Reply

                Join the conversation!

                Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                Create a PokéCommunity Account
                Ad Content
                Thread Tools

                Posting Rules
                You may not post new threads
                You may not post replies
                You may not post attachments
                You may not edit your posts

                BB code is On
                Smilies are On
                [IMG] code is On
                HTML code is Off
                Minimum Characters Per Post: 25

                Forum Jump


                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:24 AM.