Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old October 27th, 2018 (5:19 PM). Edited October 27th, 2018 by TheGhostHunter.
Spooky Girl with a Computer

Nature: Careful
    https://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2018/10/27/Police-responding-to-incident-in-Squirrel-Hill/stories/201810270069

Growing up in the Pittsburgh area, this is incrediblity horrible to hear.

Name: Shade
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old October 27th, 2018 (5:58 PM).

Sad but inevitable, there are always people ready to oppose some innocents because of some delusional mindset.
        #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old October 27th, 2018 (6:24 PM).
      Radiant Dragon Fang!

Nature: Lonely
      As an American born Jewish person, with family in Pittsburgh, this disgusts me to the highest possible degree.

I'm so tired of there being shootings all the time in America, honestly...
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old October 27th, 2018 (7:52 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
        As an American born Jewish person, with family in Pittsburgh, this disgusts me to the highest possible degree.

I'm so tired of there being shootings all the time in America, honestly...
        Stuff like this reminds me of a story. I had volunteered under a organization with Chic-Fil-A, which had a large project every spring depending on the school. My school did a Senior Citizen's Prom for our project which had an international theme (food stations for Mexico, Italy, France and China). The Prom King was a WWII vet who I had heard liberated the camps in Germany. What Patton said to his troops was to never forget the sights that they had seen. A powerful story that I heard while in High School that had came to me as I had heard of the news.

#5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 27th, 2018 (9:48 PM).

Nature: Adamant
        Granted I haven't checked the article yet, but I'm really not sure what else I can say at this point that I haven't already said ad nauseum. That in and of itself is a bit scary because I'm sure I'm not the only one getting tired of taking part in the gun debate which doesn't bode well for positive change.
          #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 27th, 2018 (9:53 PM).
        wandererjustlikeme 🌺

Nature: Jolly
        I think it starts to be really scary when you find yourself becoming increasingly numb to these types of news stories.

It's scary that, since there isn't an expectation of anything to change, there's an expectation for things to stay the same. And as such the cycle repeats.
          #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 28th, 2018 (2:46 AM).

What’s scariest is the antisemetism surrounding the whole event, seemingly perpetuated hours later on A Certain “News” Outlet.
          #8   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 28th, 2018 (4:36 AM).

I don't think that it's a scary thing to be "numb" to these shootings.

What would really be scary is for people to lose any and all desire to see the problem fixed. You can still want to see change but not get emotional every time this sort of thing happens. Not expecting anything to change more has to do with the fact that the average person doesn't really have much power to do anything in this country and that some of the ones who do have a history of not really seeming to make any sort of motions towards fixing the problem.
          #9   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 28th, 2018 (9:39 AM).
        ……推して参る。

Nature: Adamant
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Nah View Post
        I don't think that it's a scary thing to be "numb" to these shootings.

What would really be scary is for people to lose any and all desire to see the problem fixed. You can still want to see change but not get emotional every time this sort of thing happens. Not expecting anything to change more has to do with the fact that the average person doesn't really have much power to do anything in this country and that some of the ones who do have a history of not really seeming to make any sort of motions towards fixing the problem.
        Literally all of this.

Every time I see a shooting it's real sad that the only response I have is to shake my head and go "Damn, that's crazy" and keep scrolling. As much as I could sit here and monologue about how bad it is and how whack the people who do this nonsense are, that doesn't do anything. And the people who CAN make changes just simply won't.

I'm just leaving the country, dawg. That's the real solution.

我わ空 我わ杲 我わ甚 我わ非と不離の剣に手 全ての罪を刈り取り 悪を滅 我がなをハクメン 押して参る!!
          #10   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old October 28th, 2018 (10:39 AM).

Nature: Bold
          Man, how many bodies it will take before America does something with it's gun epidemic for real?
            #11   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old October 28th, 2018 (11:57 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by BronzeHeart92 View Post
            Man, how many bodies it will take before America does something with it's gun epidemic for real?
            Hopefully, with the surge of new voters for midterms, something can finally be done.

#12   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old October 28th, 2018 (3:01 PM). Edited October 28th, 2018 by TailsMK4.

Nature: Relaxed
              For me, there isn't a clear answer on the topic of gun control, but I'm against the notion that the general public should not be allowed to have guns. Criminals will obtain the guns either through other criminals, the black markets, or whatever resources they have, and I'd say they would be more likely to attack places knowing the people around them won't be able to defend themselves unless they can tackle the criminal without getting shot. I'd say the only thing that we can do is restrict who gets guns; the mentally unstable or those with a criminal history should be denied any gun purchase.

Now, I live in Texas, so you bet I would have followed closely the events that happened at Sutherland Springs. The person there wasn't denied being able to purchase guns, despite having a criminal background. The FBI had failed to thoroughly investigate the individual and allowed the person to buy guns. It's very possible the shooting might have still happened if he was denied the purchase, but I'd argue the person might have had to wait longer before being able to get guns to carry out the shooting.

So one thing that needs to change is having a more thorough and forced background check on individuals. This won't prevent any shootings from occurring, as people with no prior criminal experience wouldn't be prevented from carrying out shootings. I'm afraid there's no instant solution to the problem, but I think limiting the occurrences of shootings is a start.

Now, even though I'm deeply conservative, to me it doesn't matter who was the victim of a hate crime, whether it be Jews or lesbians. These shootings accomplish nothing but bringing pain and suffering to the families affected by the shooter. But I have come to accept over many years that many people in the country and world do not take into consideration the feelings of other people and act selfishly like they think they are doing the world a favor by going in guns blazing. For me, it's obvious what is causing people to act this way, but talking about religion is opening a whole can of worms, so I'll just say that I hope the next few elections by either party will focus on the issue of making it much harder for these tragedies to occur.
                #13   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old October 29th, 2018 (3:00 AM).

Nature: Hasty
                The media should just stop naming the damn shooters, because it glorifies their vile actions.
                  #14   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old October 29th, 2018 (3:48 AM). Edited October 29th, 2018 by Ivysaur.
                You found a heart!

Quote:
                Originally Posted by TailsMK4 View Post
                For me, there isn't a clear answer on the topic of gun control, but I'm against the notion that the general public should not be allowed to have guns. Criminals will obtain the guns either through other criminals, the black markets, or whatever resources they have, and I'd say they would be more likely to attack places knowing the people around them won't be able to defend themselves unless they can tackle the criminal without getting shot. I'd say the only thing that we can do is restrict who gets guns; the mentally unstable or those with a criminal history should be denied any gun purchase.
                I know this topic isn't about gun control but, as ever, idk why European/Australian criminals are so incompetent that they apparently can't get their hands on those easy guns and cause mass-shootings every week as it happens in the US and, in fact, you have to go back years to find sporadic events comparable to what's now weekly fare in the US. Maybe it's because they can't just walk into a Walmart or ask a family member for a few dozen guns and going to the black market is much, much, much discouragingly harder for your radicalised John Doe than the anti-gun-control side makes it out to be? Or maybe it's because our crazies are less evil than their US equivalents but idk man, maybe gun control actually does something. Just throwing wild ideas out there.
                  #15   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old October 29th, 2018 (8:25 AM).

Nature: Bold
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Ivysaur View Post
                  I know this topic isn't about gun control but, as ever, idk why European/Australian criminals are so incompetent that they apparently can't get their hands on those easy guns and cause mass-shootings every week as it happens in the US and, in fact, you have to go back years to find sporadic events comparable to what's now weekly fare in the US. Maybe it's because they can't just walk into a Walmart or ask a family member for a few dozen guns and going to the black market is much, much, much discouragingly harder for your radicalised John Doe than the anti-gun-control side makes it out to be? Or maybe it's because our crazies are less evil than their US equivalents but idk man, maybe gun control actually does something. Just throwing wild ideas out there.
                  Exactly. Do you see ANY gun shops over here in EU? No at all. And that is also why I find this gun 'worship' in American just alien and wrong.
                    #16   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old October 29th, 2018 (12:09 PM).

There must be a gun shop here and there in Europe, since as far as I know guns are not completely and totally banned in Europe in general, so the (few?) people that do have them must be able to buy them somewhere.

I think that some people have a bit of a skewed view on certain things regarding guns in the US too. Not everyone "worships" guns, it's not like the grocery stores have a gun aisle, and the country does actually have gun laws, believe it or not.

Gun control is only part of the solution anyway.
                    #17   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old October 29th, 2018 (2:13 PM).
                  Life is a conundrum of esoterica

Nature: Jolly
                    Is that why flags are Half-staff right now?

Watch me on the tubes! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCcvEBrEeprmwf-csVTLH-jw
                      #18   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                    Old October 29th, 2018 (5:10 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Calzone407 View Post
                      Is that why flags are Half-staff right now?
                      Yes, I believe so, but I have seen some flags still up in some places.

#19   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                      Old October 30th, 2018 (10:14 AM). Edited October 30th, 2018 by ShinyUmbreon189.
                      VLONE coming soon

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Mana View Post
                        What’s scariest is the antisemetism surrounding the whole event, seemingly perpetuated hours later on A Certain “News” Outlet.
                        Actually what's the scariest is NOBODY knows the full truth so they're forced to believe an illusion as a source of the incident. This is the problem with "News" Outlets and it's ALWAYS biased.

It's obvious that firearms are the problem more so than mental disorders, right? Isn't that one side to the black and white debate? This time, I'm not taking sides cause people already know my beliefs on guns, and political beliefs.
                        Instead I'm taking this approach, which I've sorta brought up in the past just not as noticeable. I'm taking this one.

MENTAL ILLNESS SHOULD BE TAKEN MORE SERIOUSLY. Every psyducking time someone commits mass murder they got a mental illness. What's this tell us? IT'S A PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM!! Tho I've stated many times I'm all for stricter testings for guns, but I'm just a NRA activist that supports guns for everyone in the eyes of the liberals I guess, but that's besides the point. Instead of focusing on taking guns away, maybe they should focus on mental illnesses more and give them the help they really need than ignoring it and letting things escalate.

I will be the first to tell you that if mental illness goes unnoticed and continues to be ignored as the problem behind these mass murders then it's only gonna get worse. It starts with caring and loving one another regardless of who they are. Everyone deserves to be happy and loved and cared for. There's a reason those who are treated poorly, seen tragic events, have mental illnesses easily lose themselves when triggered. Instead of filling these individuals with reasons to hate, give them reasons to love and care, and give them hope.

Other than that, my belief on guns stand. Left side. AMERICA WILL NEVER GET RID OF GUNS. Right side. ABORTION IS CHOICE AND NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Get over it.
                          #20   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                        Old October 30th, 2018 (10:29 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
                          Actually what's the scariest is NOBODY knows the full truth so they're forced to believe an illusion as a source of the incident. This is the problem with "News" Outlets and it's ALWAYS biased.

It's obvious that firearms are the problem more so than mental disorders, right? Isn't that one side to the black and white debate? This time, I'm not taking sides cause people already know my beliefs on guns, and political beliefs.
                          Instead I'm taking this approach, which I've sorta brought up in the past just not as noticeable. I'm taking this one.

MENTAL ILLNESS SHOULD BE TAKEN MORE SERIOUSLY. Every psyducking time someone commits mass murder they got a mental illness. What's this tell us? IT'S A PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEM!! Tho I've stated many times I'm all for stricter testings for guns, but I'm just a NRA activist that supports guns for everyone in the eyes of the liberals I guess, but that's besides the point. Instead of focusing on taking guns away, maybe they should focus on mental illnesses more and give them the help they really need than ignoring it and letting things escalate.

I will be the first to tell you that if mental illness goes unnoticed and continues to be ignored as the problem behind these mass murders then it's only gonna get worse. It starts with caring and loving one another regardless of who they are. Everyone deserves to be happy and loved and cared for. There's a reason those who are treated poorly, seen tragic events, have mental illnesses easily lose themselves when triggered. Instead of filling these individuals with reasons to hate, give them reasons to love and care, and give them hope.

Other than that, my belief on guns stand. Left side. AMERICA WILL NEVER GET RID OF GUNS. Right side. ABORTION IS CHOICE AND NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Get over it.
                          I don't believe that a woman's choice to terminate a pregnancy has any impact on the state of America relating to gun violence.

#21   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old October 30th, 2018 (11:55 AM).

Let's try to stay on-topic here people. You wanna talk about abortion, we have a recent thread for that.
                            #22   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                          Old October 30th, 2018 (12:06 PM). Edited October 30th, 2018 by ShinyUmbreon189.
                          VLONE coming soon

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Nah View Post
                            Let's try to stay on-topic here people. You wanna talk about abortion, we have a recent thread for that.
                            Wasn't talking about abortion, originally... But I guess freedom doesn't walk hand in hand with gun rights and abortion.. I only mentioned abortion cause it's a leftist view where as gun rights is a right view. Yet out of everything I said, a liberal had to but their battlefield gear on and completely miss the point as usual and bring up abortion in a context I wasn't talking about because I mentioned a belief they hold so strongly forcing me to question them into why they believe in this black and white debate. But it's cool. What one side says goes completely debunking "right and wrong" as I'm familiar with your political background. I'm not new to this game and I know you abuse power, similar to how any power abuses power, wouldn't you say?

What I'm really tired of, is the deception of the human race, it's scary tbh. I'm not scared to question authority, just cause they have power over me. I did the same thing to police and judges. I enlighten, and any position of power is afraid of that. And if I'm banned, this only proves my point.
                              #23   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old October 30th, 2018 (12:40 PM). Edited October 30th, 2018 by Mana.

@ShinyUmbreon

My post was more about the fact that Fox news have perpetuated the conspiracy theory that Jewish people (particularly George Soros) are behind everything and controlling America. Which, as far as I'm aware, is the same thing that this murderer committed these awful acts over.

Nothing to do with whatever excuse your post was about. :c
                              #24   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                            Old October 30th, 2018 (1:18 PM). Edited October 30th, 2018 by ShinyUmbreon189.
                            VLONE coming soon

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Mana View Post
                              @ShinyUmbreon

My post was more about the fact that Fox news have perpetuated the conspiracy theory that Jewish people (particularly George Soros) are behind everything and controlling America. Which, as far as I'm aware, is the same thing that this murderer committed these awful acts over.
                              Okay, and Fox news is as biased as the rest, whats your point?
                              It's no conspiracy theory the worlds controlled by the wealthy elites.. Funded by Corporations, lying about everything in the media to divide the people while they leech and make profit. You think anyone in power gives a muk whether you succeed in life or not? To me, this is a problem. I'm not saying they're behind these conspiracies, it's all speculation.. But at the same time, what does it seem the left leaning media is trying to do? Portray guns as the problem. Who's a supporter to the left and funds the left? George Soros himself. It's so easy to create illusions to get people to believe and gain supporters, especially if you already have them at your fingertips. How else would the media be "successful"?
                              With that being said. What makes any source or information more accurate than the next when none of the sources have the full story? Have you read between the lines and watched the lies the left and right spew to gain attention and followers? It's a strong magic spell to lift off. Not like real magic, but after seeing how biased both sides are on the same incident proved to me it's all acting for profit and support, and of course to distract us from their true plans. But in the end, it's controlled by the same people because they enjoy watching us suffer and resort to chaos over beliefs in what one would portray as right or wrong, which is why I say "black and white" way of viewing the world, which they created. It's twisted I know. But guess what, it's worked since the beginning of humans.
                              To think people have power is a delusion. Only people whom obtain power are those in power.
                                #25   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                              Old October 30th, 2018 (2:37 PM).

Maybe one day we’ll all be as woke as you.

Quick Reply