Ad Content

#1   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 2 Weeks Ago (9:54 AM).

Nature: Mild
    In context, this is my first playthrough, and I'm approaching the 6th gym. Which I'm guessing is flying. Although I played on an emulator, I found the phone screen made it hard to enjoy and as a result I never finished. Unlike now, where I bought an actual copy from GameStop.

I've taken one loss so far, to Clay. The way my team is constructed, he destroyed me. I was hoping he would send out Sesmitoad, but it was Excadrill, which I feared greatly.

Since my team consists of

Pignite (Outspeed and beaten in one hit).
    Tirtouga (My water type, which which was outspeed and had a bad typing for this).
    Sigilyph (Could not touch Excadrill).
    Scolipede (Faints to one Rockslide, 4x weakness).
    Stoutland (Could not touch Excadrill).

I had no idea this would be so hard, but after years of playing, it really shows me how team construction changes the difficulty. Had I properly prepared for this, I probably would have breezed through. I ended up looking up the location for the eviolite and scald, which helped me win the 2nd time.

I'm more interested in answers for the original game, in what people here found difficult. I've yet to play Black/White 2, but I've also heard it offers a challenge. Due to changing up the moves on my team, I don't expect difficulty for the final two gyms. Although I could be taken by surprise again.
      #2   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
    Old 1 Week Ago (7:38 PM).

Yeah pokemon games are generally easy, but sometimes your team could screw you over. Excadrill is a generally overpowered pokemon, ground steel + 135 base attack and high speed.

But overall I think I struggled with Elesa the most, her volt switching Emolga screwed over my Dewott and Tranquill back in 2010 where I was completely unfamiliar with the new pokemon then. I completely forgot what else I had though. I think Clay may have given me trouble too. For me mid game is where the difficulty spikes for both BW/B2W2.
        #3   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 1 Week Ago (11:11 PM).

Nature: Quiet
      unova was challenging imo. starting with that normal type gym leader who spammed work up. but i got the most trouble from elesa. even with a krookodile, i had trouble with her darned emolga. it can't use volt switch but it has air slash (emolga has high SpA and it has a flinch chance)
        #4   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
      Old 1 Week Ago (3:08 AM).

Elesa was challenging. My team in the original post clearly doesn't match up well against her either. Although I believe I used Return to weaken everything that was volt switching around, until they were in reach where I could win with Aqua Jet. (Although I had to use revives, I avoid them in battles unless I actually feel like I'm going to take a loss).

The normal gym was exploitable. Her strategy involved knocking something out with Retaliate. I had a few things in my team I caught temporarily, so I sent one of them out to take the hit. Though I admit, it might have been harder if I didn't have a fighting type on my starter.

Excadrill does already have 135 attack, to make it more difficult, the AI is intelligent. If you stay in with something that can't do enough damage, it'll start raising its attack with Hone Claws. In my case, Aqua Jet wasn't doing much. It gave her one opportunity to use Hone Claws, and at that point I could do nothing.
          #5   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
        Old 1 Week Ago (7:44 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by strangerhypno.

Yeah BW was the first time I noticed myself struggling, first few gyms was okay for me. After Skyla it became easier for a bit. E4 and Ghetsis was tough, Stoutland and Samurott carried me, the rest of my team was useless especially Simisear. I also think the AI was smarter like you said and had better coverage moves than previous games.
            #6   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 6 Days Ago (4:53 AM).
          la lune

Nature: Timid
          bw was surprisingly difficult when it wanted to be. the second gym leader (lenora??? i'm probably completely wrong) wrecked my muk for a while.

the fear has gripped me, but here i go.
            #7   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 6 Days Ago (7:34 AM).
          Mother of Dragons

Nature: Gentle
          Clay. Even though I had a partial type advantage with the 2nd stage grass starter Servine, I still could not get pass Clay on my first attempt. While I had some other close battles before and after like Elesa and Ghetsis, Clay was the only fight I flat out lost to, and had to do over.

His star pokemon Excadrill is a really powerful pokemon, and if he is allowed to set up he can sweep through your entire team. I knew exactly what he was doing, but I could not shut him down in time on my first playthrough.

Even though it was Excadrill that went in for the kill, my problems arose before that. Krokorok is the pokemon to watch. It is frail, and cutting through it looked like short work. It seemed like a prime opportunity to set up my own pokemon with a coil. However, this is a pure evil pokemon dreamed up by the scummiest of trolls. If you don't straight up one shot it, then this little monster can remain a thorn in your side, even after its brief time on earth has ended. While Krokorok won't be killing many things, every move it knows is ANNOYING.

It knows swagger to get you confused, so that you will hurt yourself (badly I might add due to the stat boost) and not be able to attack Excadrill, giving Exacdrill potentially multiple free turns. This is what happened to yours truly.

Alternatively Krokorok can use bulldoze, so that your speed will be very low and Excadrill can have the first move, either to straight out attack you or set up on you. The other annoying one is the move torment, so you can't use the same move consecutively. So if you had a strong super-effective move to use against ground or steel type pokemon then you won't be able to spam it against Excadrill. Did you use a water move to take out the Krokorok? Well if Krokorok used torment then that move is disabled on your next turn, and no good against Excadrill. Now you have Excadrill taking less damage and able to set up.

Even if you switch out to end the effect of some of these cheap status conditions, you are still playing into Clay's hands, and giving Excadrill a free turn. Almost no matter what you do Excadrill is setting up.

While you should try to kill Krokorok right away. This spawn of Giratina has a way of living with an invisible focus sash just long enough to launch an attack. Your best hope is to pray for the 1-4 chance that Krokorok selects crunch before dying. The strong damage output and defense drop is the least bad thing it can do before you square off with Excadrill.

While some people hate Whitney's Miltank, I don't. I don't dislike Elesa's Emolga either. I'm generally a forgiving person. The trechery of the sandile line however is unforgivable. I'll always remember the crimes of Clay's Krokorok and Grimsley's Krookodile. I will never complete the Unova dex because i don't want these pokemon anywhere near me. I won't catch them, and if anyone dares trade me one then I'll release it back into the swamp. Die Krookorok!

Name: Narcissus
          Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

#8   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
          Old 6 Days Ago (12:06 PM).

Nature: Quirky
            In Unova as a whole, surprisingly it was Cheren in BW2 since you don’t have access to any fighting types (that I know of) and his Lillipup is... fun. But in Black and White specifically, I’d have to say that Elesa's team challenged me the most. Of course it all depends on the Pokemon you have on your team, but that’s all I have to say.

Name: Annabelle
            Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Pokémon Essentials WIP: Pokémon Spirit Platinum

Living Pokédex
            https://pokedextracker.com/u/lillipup03/my-living-dex

Shiny Hunts
            Current:
            Finneon SOS
            Y Horde Encounters

Shiny Count:

#9   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
            Old 4 Days Ago (10:11 PM).

Cheren was easy for me. I found B2W2 to be easier overall than the original BW, dunno why. Maybe because I used older pokemon.
                #10   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
              Old 4 Days Ago (4:50 AM).
              Life, the Universe and Everything

Nature: Jolly
                It's a toss up between Clay and Elesa, though Dryden certainly gave me cause to disintegrate my lungs through too much screaming. Some say that Pokémon is good for your mental health, but the physical side of things can prove... painful.

I remember everyone ranting about Lenora, but she posed no threat to me. Not until one of my later runs, when I discovered the conjoined horror of Hyper Fang and Hypnosis. Chances are I'm mistakenly thinking of BW2, though...
                "Well I never pray / But tonight I'm on my knees, yeah / I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah / I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now / But the airwaves are clean and there's nobody singing to me now." ★☆★☆
                  #11   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                Old 3 Days Ago (4:59 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by VisionofMilotic View Post
                  Clay. Even though I had a partial type advantage with the 2nd stage grass starter Servine, I still could not get pass Clay on my first attempt. While I had some other close battles before and after like Elesa and Ghetsis, Clay was the only fight I flat out lost to, and had to do over.

His star pokemon Excadrill is a really powerful pokemon, and if he is allowed to set up he can sweep through your entire team. I knew exactly what he was doing, but I could not shut him down in time on my first playthrough.

Even though it was Excadrill that went in for the kill, my problems arose before that. Krokorok is the pokemon to watch. It is frail, and cutting through it looked like short work. It seemed like a prime opportunity to set up my own pokemon with a coil. However, this is a pure evil pokemon dreamed up by the scummiest of trolls. If you don't straight up one shot it, then this little monster can remain a thorn in your side, even after its brief time on earth has ended. While Krokorok won't be killing many things, every move it knows is ANNOYING.

It knows swagger to get you confused, so that you will hurt yourself (badly I might add due to the stat boost) and not be able to attack Excadrill, giving Exacdrill potentially multiple free turns. This is what happened to yours truly.

Alternatively Krokorok can use bulldoze, so that your speed will be very low and Excadrill can have the first move, either to straight out attack you or set up on you. The other annoying one is the move torment, so you can't use the same move consecutively. So if you had a strong super-effective move to use against ground or steel type pokemon then you won't be able to spam it against Excadrill. Did you use a water move to take out the Krokorok? Well if Krokorok used torment then that move is disabled on your next turn, and no good against Excadrill. Now you have Excadrill taking less damage and able to set up.

Even if you switch out to end the effect of some of these cheap status conditions, you are still playing into Clay's hands, and giving Excadrill a free turn. Almost no matter what you do Excadrill is setting up.

While you should try to kill Krokorok right away. This spawn of Giratina has a way of living with an invisible focus sash just long enough to launch an attack. Your best hope is to pray for the 1-4 chance that Krokorok selects crunch before dying. The strong damage output and defense drop is the least bad thing it can do before you square off with Excadrill.

While some people hate Whitney's Miltank, I don't. I don't dislike Elesa's Emolga either. I'm generally a forgiving person. The trechery of the sandile line however is unforgivable. I'll always remember the crimes of Clay's Krokorok and Grimsley's Krookodile. I will never complete the Unova dex because i don't want these pokemon anywhere near me. I won't catch them, and if anyone dares trade me one then I'll release it back into the swamp. Die Krookorok!
                  While I didn't mention it in the original post, my team had damaged themselves in confusion 5 times total in the battle, due to swagger. That still might not sound too bad, but effectively it's like losing 5 turns.

I did not complain about it though, since I'm pretty sure I would have lost to the Excadrill anyways.
                    #12   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
                  Old 3 Days Ago (10:28 AM).

Nature: Timid
                    It's been a while since I played non-randomized versions of these games but probably Elesa and Clay. Emolga and Excadrill are tough pokemon to combat if you don't have the right set up to counter them.

Quick Reply