• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Favorite gym leader

TheeWizard

Brad
Years
I really like Melony, I like her aesthetic and her calm and reserved personality. She also has Gigantamax Lapras, which is probably my favourite Gigantamax.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I would have to say Opal. She has the best story, and when she creeps up on people or charges at them, it always makes me laugh out loud.

Years
Opal is a complete and total icon. Her character is hilarious and even though she disappointed me by making someone else the Fairy gym leader, she's still got to be my favorite

Years
opal is hilarious but I think raihan will forever be my #1, he's just great and I love his whole selfie craze
and that gigantamax ball throw animation in battle!!

Years
Opal for me without any doubt, and I haven't even reached Melony yet. She's hilarious, the questions are so... I mean, "What do I eat for breakfast?" Or "I like seeing pink on others, but I don't like it for myself." How she set traps for us...😂

I used my not very offensive Corviknight for much of her gym battle, including the Dynamax rounds. We ended up making it past them, and on the first turn after Dynamax ended, she asked the following question many probably didn't get to see:

"Question!
How old am I?"

Options:

I answered (chuckling at the other option) 88. Her response: "Well, that is true, but you could have been more sensitive." Stats lowered. Hahaha...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 7, 2020
I guess we like piers the most because it seems like a fake battle but its just a real battle without gimmicks and reminds us of the older games.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years
At first I was quite capitvated by Raihan. He was the first one that I witnessed on a Twitch stream and his aura was quite impressive. That said my favourite is now, after playing through Shield completely, Piers. I must admit, I thought that Piers was a female at first. I was vastly confused at the "he" they were referring to. Ironically, I also thought that Saturn was a female all the way up until I heard his dubbed voice. Piers is absolutely my type in all aspects and his responsible, albeit mischievous, nature is quite endearing.

An honourable mention would be Opal/Bede. I don't quite consider Bede as one of the gym leaders since for such a large portion he is just a rival but Opal is remarkable on all accounts.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
I think this is the first region where I really love them all. I don't hate any of them! If I had to choose a favorite, I would probably say Raihan. Love his overall demeanor and selfies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'm indifferent to a few because they don't do very much outside of their gyms, personally. Piers has potential that could have been expanded on, but you only hear about him when you get to Spikemuth. Opal gets some points just because she appears a few times prior and does some weird stuff; others are largely stuck in their Gym or appear outside a couple times but contribute little otherwise.

At least League Cards give some additional info and expand on their character, which is a plus beyond rosters such as Kalos', but I feel they could have been more involved, ala gen 5 and 7.

Anyways I guess Opal atm, without having interacted with them postgame.

Sirfetch’d

Raihan is my favorite gym leader of all time. I love him so much

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 13, 2020
Opal and Piers! Opal is hilarious and seems like she's pretty in-tune with the kids, sorta? She's just real easy to get along with and she makes me laugh. You know she's supposed to be kind of a creepy grandma but she's so nice and real nice to interact with.

I'd liked Piers a lot because he was so chill, but post-game made me LOVE him when I learned how doting and fatherly he could be. Definitely a big brother I would want for myself haha. He's just a big sweetheart, and the cool act isn't just an act - he's still super cool, too!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
This is really the first gen where I've genuinely loved them all! Milo is a precious biscuit, Nessa is an absolute queen, Opal is just.. glorious lmao.. I mean they really all stand out in their own way. :)

Back