• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A More Mature Pokemon Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misty-slave09

Kasumi<3
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 12, 2009
I was comparing pokemon episodes from the first season to others and I noticed the first season was so MUCH MORE mature than the others. A 17 year old could actually sit through it and enjoy it. But over the years pokemon has become so childish.

I would love too see Pokemon turn into one of those more mature animes that you see on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.
That would be so amazing!!!
Maybe when the actual kids show comes to an end they can re-new it or do a spin-off.
Its just a thought of mine that I think would be really cool!!!

Tonya

Brilliant Loser
Years
What constitutes a show being mature? Is it the presence of blood, violence or injuries, suspenseful situations, romance, death, or sexual themes? If by mature you mean no more glowing wings/beaks/characters and no more explosions and more serious, threatening villains, then I'm with you all the way.

Lycoris

Teh Sexeh Lexieh
Years
Erm..yes, the first season was more mature. But you have no idea what kind of audience pokemon attracts. Little sensitive kids..it's not ment to be mature...

misty-slave09

Kasumi<3
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 12, 2009
I know its a kids show thats why I said maybe when its finally ends.
It was just something I thought I would share.. it will probably never happen anyway.

What constitutes a show being mature? Is it the presence of blood, violence or injuries, suspenseful situations, romance, death, or sexual themes? If by mature you mean no more glowing wings/beaks/characters and no more explosions and more serious, threatening villains, then I'm with you all the way.
That exactly what I mean .. LOL

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I think that as long as they use Special's plot line, then the anime would be all right. Yes, there is violence. Yes, there's some dark themes. But how long are we going to keep protecting little kids from the harshness of the world? And even so, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, then there could be two anime shows. One could continue to be the adventures of Ash in Happy Worldland, and the other could be more like Special.

No need for it to become gratuitously violent, with constant swearing, blood, and sexual themes. Just something with more of a plot, deeper characters, and less...perkiness.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
No explosions? Heresy!

Anyway, doubt it. Pokemon's tone is intended to be somewhat childish as it is a "coming-of-age" story. The reason it seems to be getting so childish is that Ash has gone through enough character development that he's ready to begin the "coming-of-age" process, but the series needs to be dragged out. Unlike other animes which can end, Pokemon is a marketing ploy for the games and products as well as a series so it cannot end until they do. The characters will seem more mature by the time the series ends, if ever. As for sexual themes, blood and gore, do we really need more of that? If you want that, you've got other series. Pokemon is not about blood, gore, etc. It would feel out of place. A more serious villain and suspense, on the other hand, could stand a greater part in the series, as well as a less-repetitive plot. Who knows? We have J now. Maybe that's the herald of gradual change.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
Years
Pokemon doesn't need to be gory. The reason I didn't ever get into Bleach was because there was too much blood. I dont like gore
I like explosions though 8D

Pokemon does have mature-ish themes if you use your imagination though, look at Pokemopolis

Other than that, leave the poor anime alone! just because an anime is mature, doesn't mean it's better. Look at Inuyasha. Blood but loads of fillers and the majority of anime fans think it's crap
-_-

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Its all because Nintendo America is directed towards a younger audience ( 8-10 year olds )

On the flip side, In Japan Pokemon is Directed to Teenagers and even some adults

STEELIXMANIAC

Hatena de Wasshoi!
Years
Guess what? Paul abuses his Pokémon by giving them extremely harsh training, as evidenced by the fact that he pushed Chimchar way beyond its limits. He also releases them for being weak. Is that not "mature" enough for you?

LittleMiss

Ghosts are Special
Years
IMO I don't really think the first season was any "mature" then other seasons, of course there are episodes that stand out as a life/development changing episode for the characters, but this has always been so for the last 10 years.

The Chuckle Squad

We're watchin' you...
Years
I sort of agree, but I sort of disagree. The old episodes were more mature but boring, the old episodes were less mature but amusing. I would rather watch the newer episodes, besides when they changed the characters' voices, that was a thing I would never forgive them for... :(

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
I was comparing pokemon episodes from the first season to others and I noticed the first season was so MUCH MORE mature than the others. A 17 year old could actually sit through it and enjoy it. But over the years pokemon has become so childish.

I would love too see Pokemon turn into one of those more mature animes that you see on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.
That would be so amazing!!!
Maybe when the actual kids show comes to an end they can re-new it or do a spin-off.
Its just a thought of mine that I think would be really cool!!!

Can you explain how the first series in anymore mature? Thanks.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
Years
  • Seen Feb 11, 2018
Can you explain how the first series in anymore mature? Thanks.

I would really want to know that too. There are very dramatic explosions every time Team Rocket blasts off. (really)

Everything that was too mature would get censored anyway. (Beauty and the Beach)

Pokemon was never that mature to begin with. It was and always going to be a kids' show.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
Years
Guess what? Paul abuses his Pokémon by giving them extremely harsh training, as evidenced by the fact that he pushed Chimchar way beyond its limits. He also releases them for being weak. Is that not "mature" enough for you?

No, because Paul isn't presented as a human character- he's presented as a cardboard stereotype of a 'cold hearted jerk'. A mature show would have deep characters with real emotions, not the one-dimensional cutouts seen in the anime.

And hey, if all it took for a show to be mature is some adult content, then that means that we'd have to consider trash like Family Guy as quality entertainment. Hahaha.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
Years
Agreed, adding scene where blood is being spilling or limbs being chopped off isn't going to make Pokemon look more mature.
Getting rid of the utopia-ish world would be a better start. Good isn't always triumph over evil, setbacks happen etc etc. That's why I like J for being a non-comic relief villian.

No, because Paul isn't presented as a human character- he's presented as a cardboard stereotype of a 'cold hearted jerk'. A mature show would have deep characters with real emotions, not the one-dimensional cutouts seen in the anime.

Come to think of it. Despite that Ash've been around for 10 years, we still has almost zero background on him.

Seventyxxtimes7x

MushroomHead
Years
Lol i was thinking that.but if you ask me i think pokemon diamond & pearl is alittle more mature .

But that would be cool seeing a pokemon cast razor leaf on someone and it chops their arm off. I would like to see some pokemon like that =D

Years
No explosions? Heresy!

Anyway, doubt it. Pokemon's tone is intended to be somewhat childish as it is a "coming-of-age" story. The reason it seems to be getting so childish is that Ash has gone through enough character development that he's ready to begin the "coming-of-age" process, but the series needs to be dragged out. Unlike other animes which can end, Pokemon is a marketing ploy for the games and products as well as a series so it cannot end until they do. The characters will seem more mature by the time the series ends, if ever. As for sexual themes, blood and gore, do we really need more of that? If you want that, you've got other series. Pokemon is not about blood, gore, etc. It would feel out of place. A more serious villain and suspense, on the other hand, could stand a greater part in the series, as well as a less-repetitive plot. Who knows? We have J now. Maybe that's the herald of gradual change.

*gets a headache*

Ugh... too... many... words... ~_~ I think you have a good point... I can't tell...

But anyways, yes, they should have a more mature Pokemon spin-off. And yes, the first season was MUCH more mature.

Also...

a more mature Pokemon anime = a larger audience

But then again, the manga is sorta like that, isn't it? You know, more mature? I wouldn't know, but...

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
I wouldn't say mature, but it's definitely toned down from how it was.

The jokes are cornier, the fights are stupider, and also shorter. And they now put those squiggly lines on the eyes of Pokemon whenever one is KO'd, probably to tone down the violence of the battles. After all, they never really get Poisoned anymore.

The manga isn't really more mature (and it depends on which manga you mean). It just follows a different story arc from the Anime.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
Years
The manga isn't really more mature (and it depends on which manga you mean).

Yes they were. If we're talking about Special, the manga is much more mature- characters are deep, have real motivations, and undergo change as the story moves on. As for Electric Tale of Pikachu, its style of humor and art catered much more to older teens than the anime. Even then, it was still better than the anime.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
I wouldn't say mature, but it's definitely toned down from how it was.

The jokes are cornier, the fights are stupider, and also shorter. And they now put those squiggly lines on the eyes of Pokemon whenever one is KO'd, probably to tone down the violence of the battles. After all, they never really get Poisoned anymore.

- The jokes have always been cheesy. In the Clefairy ep Ash was talking about how the Clefairy were doing the macarena. It being 90s humour makes it that much worse...Cow-terpie was cheesy too. Yeah, jokes have always been cheesy
- I don't know what you mean by stupid fight. You mean Team Rocket fights? I thought them losing to Caterpie was quite stupid. Caterpie was weaker than the just-hatched Pokemon that defeated Team Rocket in later eps.
- Normal battles seem about the same (excluding Metapod vs Metapod XD) gym battles are longer (the longest are usually contest battles) The Kanto gym battles were interupted and not very long except 2 or 3 of them. Gym battles are longer now because the episode is actually dedicated to the battle, rather than what has interupted Ash
- When *haven't* they used squiggly lines when a Pokemon has fainted...? Except when they have Xs which I only remmeber happening a few times
- I don't rememeber *any* episode where someone got poisoned. Ill, yeah, not poisoned. Which episode was it?

And yes, the first season was MUCH more mature.

But how?

I sound like I hate the first series, but I don't. I think that people may just be looking at it through rose-tinted glass...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back