• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Don't Let the Catz say Zero! [DLTMS0 v4.0]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

Cheren is derived from the bulgarian word for Black and Bianca is White in Italian
meanwhile Touya and Toukos's english names are derived from Germanic "hild" which means to fight

Ooh, I like Rosa and Nate, means to resonate, or echo (Their Japanese names, Kyohei and Mei share this trait, since they're derived from kyōmei)

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Shame Hilbert and Hilda fit so badly in BW's setting, and are pretty dull-sounding names in general.

Nate is a really good name IMO. It fits well.

Rosa... I would probably like, if I wasn't Swedish. Here Rosa is a common nickname for cows, hahaha.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

[something perverted about milking Rosa here]

and that is why I name her Mei, although Echo is a cute name too

stupid dA
STOP BANNING ME FOR NO REASON

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023

One of the main challenges for english localization is choosing player names that have the same/similar meaning as their Japanese counterparts

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

English localization from Japanese is hard to begin with, because of the cultural differences.
So much dialogue has to be partially rewritten to make more sense to western kids.

In other news, managed to manually up Borderlands' FOV from 70 to 110.

An enjoyable game just became even more enjoyable.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
"So you're the one my Lord N is in love with" becomes "So you're the one my Lord N is worried about"

hmph...

Years

The only names that I don't like are Hilda and Hilbert, I have no idea what they were thinking. Nothing against people who are actually named Hilda or Hilbert, but the names are just so out of place here.

The names Hilbert and Hilda derive from the term hild, which means "battle".

In fact, Hilda was also Maylene's name in the German version of the games. It literally means "battle woman".

Pokemon always tends to have a theme when naming the protagonists of a game.

D/P/Pt's Lucas and Dawn's names both have something to do with light, while B2/W2's Nate and Rosa, when combined, sounds like "resonate".

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years

Just noticed that Rosa looks like Princess Leia a little bit. I get it, Pokemon is an alternate universe of Star Wars created by Palkia when he was contracted by George Lucas. It all makes sense!

The names Hilbert and Hilda derive from the term hild, which means "battle".

In fact, Hilda was also Maylene's name in the German version of the games. It literally means "battle woman".

Pokemon always tends to have a theme when naming the protagonists of a game.

D/P/Pt's Lucas and Dawn's names both have something to do with light, while B2/W2's Nate and Rosa, when combined, sounds like "resonate".
I did know that their names had meaning dealing with various facets of the game (or just have general themes), but I guess what I mean by "Out of Place" is that they don't really seem to fit the characters. The last thing I'd ever think to call those two are "Hilda" and "Hilbert".

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years

Something else classical music-inspired and even more nonsensical.
Of course he'll never have kids, because he's an antisocial manchild who cares more about magic and prophesies than his own existence, and probably believes babies are made by hugging. :3

Which is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back