• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
Thanks so much for all your help! I did have a few other questions:

1. What is action replay and does it work with the 3ds?

2. Couldn't I IV/Ev (whatever it is called) train my pokemon quicker with action replay?

3. Can I use modified pokemon (using action replay) to play online?

Sorry if this is not allowed or taboo I am new to this.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Thanks so much for all your help! I did have a few other questions:

1. What is action replay and does it work with the 3ds?

2. Couldn't I IV/Ev (whatever it is called) train my pokemon quicker with action replay?

3. Can I use modified pokemon (using action replay) to play online?

Sorry if this is not allowed or taboo I am new to this.

1. It's a hacking device, but idk if it works with the 3ds.
2. Probably yeah, because it would hack you perfect Pokemon.
3. Not really, unless you know how to do it Nintendo can pick out hacked Pokemon. I would just do it the traditional way.

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014

1. It's a hacking device, but idk if it works with the 3ds.
2. Probably yeah, because it would hack you perfect Pokemon.
3. Not really, unless you know how to do it Nintendo can pick out hacked Pokemon. I would just do it the traditional way.
Yeah, i wasn't really going to hack max stats for everything or anything. I was just wondering if I could speed up the leveling process.

Caranciio

Doof?
Years
I'm looking for a Dream World Shuppet, Drifloon and other Pokemon because of their abilities. I've been trying to find a list as to where I can find these Pokemon in Dream World, but I can't find anything. Is there a list that anyone knows of that lists the Pokemon and their locations in DW? I've checked Bulbapedia and it didn't include the above Pokemon anywhere, yet they have DW abilities.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm looking for a Dream World Shuppet, Drifloon and other Pokemon because of their abilities. I've been trying to find a list as to where I can find these Pokemon in Dream World, but I can't find anything. Is there a list that anyone knows of that lists the Pokemon and their locations in DW? I've checked Bulbapedia and it didn't include the above Pokemon anywhere, yet they have DW abilities.

Try this link for all available right now. Just because they have abilities doesn't mean they're available just yet.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years

Try this link for all available right now. Just because they have abilities doesn't mean they're available just yet.

Smogon has been keeping track of this in a more concise way as well (as well as released Dream World exclusive moves). I'd link, but forum rules <3

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
Here's a quick question:

1. from my understanding, your pokemon are caught/born with certain IV Traits. You want them to have their Iv traits in the things you want to Ev Boost. How do you know what IV your newly breed pokemon has?

2. From my understanding, EV training only takes about 1 hour to do. Basically, you set your pokemon on the right track for the EV you want by killing certain pokemon with certain items equipped on your pokemon. However, when my pokemon is on the right track with EV, how do I get to to max level? Do I need to continue killing thoss specific pokemon that give it the ev traits? Or can I just kill anything?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Here's a quick question:

1. from my understanding, your pokemon are caught/born with certain IV Traits. You want them to have their Iv traits in the things you want to Ev Boost. How do you know what IV your newly breed pokemon has?

There are many IV checkers online, but they're generally not very accurate for a level 1 Pokemon. What I do is save my game, give my Pokemon my 10 or so Rare Candies, plug the stats into an IV checker online to see if it has close to what I want, and then restart the game without saving so I don't lose the Candies. There are other ways to do it (Daycare levels it without giving it EVs as well), or you can use an AR. Using an AR to check IVs isn't generally considered cheating.

2. From my understanding, EV training only takes about 1 hour to do. Basically, you set your pokemon on the right track for the EV you want by killing certain pokemon with certain items equipped on your pokemon. However, when my pokemon is on the right track with EV, how do I get to to max level? Do I need to continue killing thoss specific pokemon that give it the ev traits? Or can I just kill anything?

EV train before you level. If your Pokemon is level 1, have it hold an Exp. Share instead of the Power Item, or switch it out at the beginning so it can hold the Power Item, but either way EV train before you do anything else. After your EVs are maxed out, it doesn't matter what you kill. That's when you start Elite Four grinding, or Audino grinding, to get your Pokemon to the level you want.

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014

There are many IV checkers online, but they're generally not very accurate for a level 1 Pokemon. What I do is save my game, give my Pokemon my 10 or so Rare Candies, plug the stats into an IV checker online to see if it has close to what I want, and then restart the game without saving so I don't lose the Candies. There are other ways to do it (Daycare levels it without giving it EVs as well), or you can use an AR. Using an AR to check IVs isn't generally considered cheating.

EV train before you level. If your Pokemon is level 1, have it hold an Exp. Share instead of the Power Item, or switch it out at the beginning so it can hold the Power Item, but either way EV train before you do anything else. After your EVs are maxed out, it doesn't matter what you kill. That's when you start Elite Four grinding, or Audino grinding, to get your Pokemon to the level you want.

Thanks for the swift reply. Here are a few other questions:

1. Doing your method (with the save) would I get different results each time I give them the 10 rare candies? (I could technically keep doing this till I get the right one if this is true) Or would I have to scrap the pokemon?

2. What do you mean by EV Train? Isn't Ev training where your pokemon gets Ev points on a certain stat everytime you kill x pokemon? Do you mean I should kill the pokemon that give me the stat I want till I have achieved the maximum refinement I want, then I can go level normally?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Thanks for the swift reply. Here are a few other questions:

1. Doing your method (with the save) would I get different results each time I give them the 10 rare candies? (I could technically keep doing this till I get the right one if this is true) Or would I have to scrap the pokemon?
I'm not sure what you mean. IVs are set once the egg is hatched. 10 Rare Candies will have the same effect every time you give them to a Pokemon because as soon as they're born their path is decided (I guess we know where Nintendo stands on nature vs nurture...)
2. What do you mean by EV Train? Isn't Ev training where your pokemon gets Ev points on a certain stat everytime you kill x pokemon? Do you mean I should kill the pokemon that give me the stat I want till I have achieved the maximum refinement I want, then I can go level normally?

You're better off looking at a full EV guide to get the more detailed answer, but basically, you have 510 EVs to distribute as you want, and can only have 255 at once in a stat. 4 EVs = 1 stat point, so you don't want more than 252 in a stat because the last 3 are wasted. Generally most EV spreads are 252 in two different stats, then 4 in a third. Once you have your EVs set the way you want, then you can level in any way that you want.

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
Final question (sorry for all the questions):

You mentioned that Iv/nature/etc is determined once the pokemon hatches. So, do you think it would be beneficial to just save the game right before I am given the egg, wait till it hatches, give it rare candy etc etc till I get the nature/IV I want? Or is there a better way?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Final question (sorry for all the questions):

You mentioned that Iv/nature/etc is determined once the pokemon hatches. So, do you think it would be beneficial to just save the game right before I am given the egg, wait till it hatches, give it rare candy etc etc till I get the nature/IV I want? Or is there a better way?

Well the egg has its own IVs, but tbh I'm not sure about it before it's given to you. What I do to get the IVs I want are keep a Pokemon with Flame body in my party (halves steps to hatching), and keep running in front the Daycare. I pick up 5 eggs and make them all hatch, then one by one check all their IVs. If nothing, I release them all in the Daycare PC and do it again for 5 more.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
Years
What's the point of Pokemon Online or any other pokemon simulator? People can just max out all stats and win easily by doing so, so what's the point of selecting your dream team and how you'd train them exactly if there's a chance of going up against some jerk who just maxed their team? You didn't even train those pokemon, so it's a rather lazy way of battling and it takes away the meaning of it. If someone could make me understand better than by all means do so ^^

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
What's the point of Pokemon Online or any other pokemon simulator? People can just max out all stats and win easily by doing so, so what's the point of selecting your dream team and how you'd train them exactly if there's a chance of going up against some jerk who just maxed their team? You didn't even train those pokemon, so it's a rather lazy way of battling and it takes away the meaning of it. If someone could make me understand better than by all means do so ^^

In the Pokemon simulator, there's no chance of you losing because you don't want to put forth weeks just breeding the perfect Pokemon. You can practice with your team and see if it's viable competitively before you try to spend all the time raising Pokemon that aren't great. Plus if you enjoy the battling aspect but not the training aspect you can have fun with that. All the Pokemon are held to the same rules as ingame with EVs and IVs and movesets.

LavanZev

Bringer of Orange Soda!
Years
What vitamins should I give my timid charmander? I will be giving him, well charzard choice lens as I was told.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
What vitamins should I give my timid charmander? I will be giving him, well charzard choice lens as I was told.
Choice lens? I'm pretty sure that's not an item...

Though if you mean Power Lens, that raises Special Attack EVs so you're going to want to use Calcium. We have a whole EV guide with vitamin listings and all, here.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

Choice lens? I'm pretty sure that's not an item...

Though if you mean Power Lens, that raises Special Attack EVs so you're going to want to use Calcium.

I think he's melding together Power Lens and Choice Specs, which was what was suggested for his Timid Charizard a few pages back. Doesn't change the answer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back