• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need some PC gaming advice here

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
I am thinking about purchasing a gaming computer, but I am not sure if I should get a laptop or a desktop. I am fairly ignorant on the pros and cons of each aside from the obvious (such as laptops are portable and desktops are not).

Do laptops sacrifice performance for portability? Are desktops more expensive?

If it helps, I dont need super amazing graphics or lightning-fast speed (I dont value graphics as much, nor am I a professional lol). But I would like it to look good and run well. And not cost too much, so no Alienware or anything like that.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: so i did some research and it looks like desktops preform much better and have more longevity for like half the price of a gaming laptop. Are there any reasons to get a gaming laptop other than portability?

What desktops or laptops do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I think most serious PC gamers (to clarify, that's not me but it's what I've heard - I personally know very little about this) would tell you the best option is to buy parts and put together your own desktop - not only can you choose the most suitable parts for your computer, but it's usually cheaper than pre-built ones too, while performing on the same level or even better.

Aiden/Circuit actually put together a list for me once when I told him I was considering building one, since I know nothing about PC parts, but since I still have a working desktop I've yet to get around to doing this myself - if you're interested, I'm sure he won't mind me sharing this:
Intel Core i5-6600K (CPU)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (CPU Cooler)
Asus Z170 PRO GAMING (Motherboard)
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (RAM)
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB (SSD)
Seagate Barracuda 3TB (HDD)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 (GPU)
NZXT Source 210 Black (Case)
Corsair RMx 550W Modular (PSU)
Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS (O-Drive)
Asus PCE-N15 (Wireless Card)

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
If you're only going to play games at home and already own a portable device then you should just get a desktop. Gaming laptops are usually very expensive so they're not really worth buying unless you can afford them and need the portability.

Adding to what Juno said, there are sites that offer custom-built gaming desktops if you're not interested in building one yourself.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I'm one of the people on the sit who put together one of their own "Beast-rig" desktop. I'll try to answer in order.

Laptops can have a decent amount of power, and are getting cheaper, but, there is not as much room for hefty parts in laptops as there is a desktop, so you're going to be paying more for the same power since a lot has to be shrunken or even custom built for the laptop. Desktops tend to be cheaper in short and long run, in both the initial purchase and any repairs/upgrades in the future.

As far as when you would want to buy a gaming laptop over a desktop, the only reason would be if you do not have more space than a counter top (unlikely) or the more common reason, you travel a lot, for work or personal reasons or whatever.

Another perk with building a PC is you can select every component. That means it's very east to maximize the power you can get for your budget. On the down side you have to look into compatibility and have the want to build it yourself (which isnt very hard tbh)

Shoot me any questions about PC gaming and I'm happy to answer, I'm not great at freeform answers rn so more specific questions might get better info out of me!

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
Okay, this is gonna be a looooooooong ramble, but hear me out. So I've been researching this stuff for around 5 to 6 years now, and with my electronics course now 3 years behind me, I can say I have some pretty solid ground in this area. So, since it was the first thing you asked, let's look at the pros and cons of computers and laptops for gaming. Starting with computers, the main pro is that computers are much, much cheaper, especially if you know what you're doing. If you don't mind snapping together a few parts like very expensive lego and giving up a good half-day's work to get everything looking great, then building your own PC is even cheaper than a pre-built gaming rig. Not only this, but because of their very open, manage interior, they are easy to upgrade, and it's easy to replace parts, allowing you moderate freedom to do what you want, even after you've finished the initial build. All that aside, desktop PCs generally run a lot better, since they rarely get moved and have little risk of being broken once up and running where you want them. Tip from experience here, don't ship one overseas. It's a big headache. So you've got customisability and integrity, but what else do you need? Performance, obviously. Now, I know gaming laptops and desktops are built for the same purpose so you'd think, and people do argue that performance isn't an issue, but the fact remains that in a laptop, the space is a lot more cramped, and heat is much harder to dissipate than in a desktop. This means higher cpu temperatures, leading to a drop in performance... Eventually. These days laptop coolers are very good, so the difference is negligible, but if you plan on using this extensively, you might begin to see a difference. But for someone always on the go to various tournaments events and whatnot, then a laptop might prove invaluable. It mainly comes down to what you wanna do. If you're gonna sit in your room and game a bit, maybe record videos or something, then a desktop will save you a ton of money and still bring you amazing performance. If moving around a lot for big gaming events is your thing, then a laptop is probably where you wanna look. Another little side-note here, building your own laptop is much more expensive than buying pre-built, so don't bother. By the sounds of it you're not overly in need of portability, so I would advise you to look at a desktop, since I imagine your budget is also somewhat limited (unless you're filthy rich in which case, boo, gimme money :P)

So onto the next bit, gaming rigs in detail. So, since you said you know very little, I'm going to explain from the very basics up, though I imagine you already will know some of what I'm gonna say, but maybe it'll still help in some way. A computer is built up of various different parts, which all work together in harmony to do the work you set them to do. How to choose your build really depends on what you want to do. If office related menial tasks is the case, then you can skip out on a dedicated graphics chip for example, but since your want is to game, then you'll be needing one of these. Your parts you will be looking at when choosing your build, either building yourself or buying pre-constructed, are as follows:
  • CPU - The core of any computer and definitely not worth skimping out on. A processor is made up of cores anywhere between a single core and up to twelve cores. There are processors with even more, but those are not for gaming rigs. Each core has a thread which actually process commands. Although each core only has one thread, through an exploit such as Intel's Hyperthreading, the cpu can exploit idle stages in its activity, allowing the appearance of more cores to the operating system, allowing simultaneous actions to go through a single core. Because of this, more cores doesn't necessarily mean a better cpu. It's important not go too cheap on your cpu either, as a very cheap cpu may not be able to keep up with the work load, and may cause a bottleneck, inhibiting the performance of your gpu and other components as well.
  • CPU Cooler - A lot of beginners, myself included, overlook the importance of a cpu cooler, and how it affects your build in the long run. Most CPUs will come with a stock cooler included, but this is rarely enough to keep your processor at an optimal temperature whilst working. Definitely not when gaming. As a processor attempts to thread more commands needed for games, it draws a little more power from your power supply. This in turn will increase the heat given off by your cpu. More work = more load on the cpu. Higher load = higher voltage requirement. Higher voltage = more heat. Therefore it is important to make sure that your cooler can keep your cpu from overheating and breaking during particularly intense gaming sessions.
  • Motherboard - This is the bread and butter for a computer, and all of your components will work through this. Unless you have the right motherboard, you may find yourself stuck with something that can't house all of your components which you just paid a lot of money for. Motherboards come with various cpu, ram and pci sockets and it's important to know what your motherboard can support. A motherboard with a LGA1151 chipset will be able to support the newest generation of intel processors, however don't try and shove an AMD processor in there, because it's not going to work. Ever. Similarly pay attention to whether your RAM slots are DDR3 or DDR4 (or DDR2 if you're buying some super old pos), and make sure to buy the appropriate RAM, or motherboard if you've already decided on the RAM. Lastly the pci slots are where your external cards such as a gpu and wireless card will go. If your intention is to house multiple gpus, then make sure you buy a motherboard which not only supports two graphics cards in the form of two pci-e slots, but also supports SLI or Crossfire, depending on whether you bought an AMD or Nvidia gpu.
  • RAM - This is the storage where all of your data will be processed before being saved and returned to the hdd. Too many people think that RAM is like an extension of the cpu to help in multitasking, and whilst ram certainly can do that, it's not because it's an extra bit of cpu power. No, RAM is where data gets stored when it is being used and worked on, to be faster called upon by the processor. RAM is much faster to draw data from than a HDD. Your operating system and any open programs will be put here, so the more space you have the more you can do, simply put. For most games 8GB is often recommended, so I would always suggest around 16GB to ensure you have room to keep a window or two open, and have space for your OS in the background. Of course, on a budget 8GB is fine, and I worked with that for nearly 5 years without issue.
  • HDD/SSD - Your hard disk drive or solid state drive is where your data gets stored when it's not in use, or when the pc is switched off. Simply put, it's a car park for data, which the data must exit when it needs to be used (ie go somewhere) and where it gets returned to when it's no longer needed. RAM is like a waiting bay for data, which is much faster to pull up to and leave than a multi-story car park which is your hdd/ssd. SSDs are much faster than HDDs, but also much more expensive for large storage space. What I always have done is kept my OS and a couple of key games on my SSD, and had a large HDD for everything else, that way I have a low cost SSD to ensure my computer starts fast and can load games I play a lot very quickly, and a HDD for everything else I do, such as videos music and steam and so on.
  • GPU - Your graphics card, when gaming, is what will handle everything that appears on your screen. This is your centre piece for gaming, and another area you really mustn't skimp on when building a gaming rig. Graphics cards can be joined in SLI to split the work load in two, but this is only useful really when gaming at very high resolutions or using something like Nvidia surround, which utilises multiple monitors to widen game views across all monitors i.e. Skyrim on three monitors. On two is just rubbish, don't bother. On a single monitor running at 1080p even an outdated card like the GTX 660 will run games at a smooth 60fps, although maybe not at the best quality of graphics nowadays. This is where, as an average gamer, you save yourself the $$$. More on that later.
  • PSU - I nearly forgot this, good lord. Your power supply is the thing that will make sure your rig has enough power to do everything it says it can. There's not a lot to say about it, other than don't overpower your rig like I do. You don't need a 1000W PSU for a single card setup. Never in a million years. Maybe a double card setup. Thankfully I intend to do just that, but don't be a spoon and waste all that electricity. Usually a 750W will do everything you need and more, and will a budget build you can get away with a 550W with room to spare. There is a calculator online for this, so if you're really uncertain, you can just take a peak. As for choosing one... I would never ever go cheap on this. Corsair gold certified and above only for me, but other brands like cooler master and so on also have good rep. I'm just a corsair fanboy :P
  • Case and Peripherals - Okay, so a lot of people tend to focus little on the case and lots on peripherals, but your case is super important with regards to keep everything inside it cool. With your case, you must also consider case fans, how they are aligned and what pressure you want inside the case. A positive pressure will mean more air gets sucked in than gets pushed out, and a negative pressure means the opposite. A negative pressure is ideal when you don't want to have to fuss very often about cleaning, as dust will get blown straight out as it comes in, but this does mean you sacrifice some effectiveness in cooling. Whereas a positive pressure again means the opposite. I'll talk more on cooling set-ups later. The peripherals are really personal taste, and come down to how you like your desk to look and what suits you. Also $$$.

So that's that. Now you're up to speed on exactly what you'll be taking into consideration, you need to decide; do you have the patience, time and desire to build yourself your perfect rig, getting exactly what you want, at a lower price but at the cost of hard work and potential damage if you do something wrong? Or can you afford the premium you pay for the convenience of having it built for you? Once you've decided, you can move forward with your planning. Either way, you need to look at what you want to buy for what you're doing. Casual gaming = cheap gpu, intel i3 (at most) 8GB ram and 1TB storage (roughly). If you wanna buy it built, then just pick either a gpu or cpu you've decided on and look for computers with that part. The rest of the pieces wont stray far from your wishes. If you wanna build it yourself then keep going.

Okay. So you wanna build your own PC. You're up to the task, ready to get hands-on and get some life experience that, imo, everybody these days should have. Building your own PC is easy. Like, really easy. You already know what you wanna do with it, so head off to pcpartpicker.com and start plugging in your pieces. The automatic compatability filter will make sure all your parts fit with each other, so piece a build together is easy. What imo takes a load of time is choosing a case to put it all in. Cases have various form factors and also various shapes through which air has to pass to cool your system. Planning this out is much more of a head-scratcher than one might think. Do you want a positive pressure or negative (positive is better in my experience, but you're going to be buying a couple of extra fans for that)? Where do you want the intakes and outtakes? Make sure to consider the surface your pc will be sitting on. I have the nzxt Phantom 530, with dual 140mm on the front as intake, a 120mm on the bottom as intake, a 140mm on the side as intake, dual 120mm on the top as exhaust, a 140mm on the back as exhaust, and a 120mm on the inside as air flow regulator, pushing the cool air over the gpu towards the back of the case, for an example. My psu draws air in from the bottom of the case, but beware, if your case doesn't have feet to raise it up, positioning your cpu fan down might cause your psu to overheat and burn out. Once you have settled on everything, go ahead and buy that stuff and when it arrives, DO NOT RUSH. This is how you break components. Rushing to dive in and get started will lead to oversights in preparation, and can lead to you building up static charge and forgetting to earth yourself, or simply breaking a component by being to rough. If your components arrive after school with homework to do, don't even think about starting that evening. Wait until the weekend if need be, set yourself a good half day, a full one if this is your first build and go slow. Before you begin, look for somewhere to regularly earth yourself. If you're on a carpet, make sure to buy yourself an earthing bracelet and attach this to any earthed surface, such as a radiator or copper pipe. Or if you have a large metal sink, you can always touch that regularly to ensure no static has built up. Don't wear socks is another tip for you. Now you can start with your case, open it up, look it over, read the manual, see exactly how to connect it all up before you've even touched the other parts. Next install all extra case fans you bought. Believe me, if you try and do that after you've installed your mobo and whatever, you're gonna have a real bad time. Make sure to check the directions of your fans, and just take your time. Line everything up square and nice, then move on to the next step. Water cooler radiator (if you have one) This is the next thing to install. If you don't have it, skip straight to the motherboard. Most cases come with motherboard offsets, but if they don't, make sure to screw in all offsets before mounting your motherboard. Contact against the case can lead to a short Circuit (eyyyy) which you really don't want after spending so much on it. Once that's finished, put your cpu in. Careful not to bend any pins, make sure it's secure, and now you need not worry about it. You can do your RAM next too, then the PSU. Start threading your cables through to the back of the case now, to save yourself some work. Utilise any cable ties you have, since cable management costs only a bit of work, and improves air flow and appearance of your build a ton. Next install the gpu and the storage devices, plug it all in and finally you should be about done... Unless I'm forgetting something. I don't think so... I'm getting old.

Okay. Moving right on now to the final part of this ramble which is my suggested build to you. It's not going to be the biggest, it's not going to be the flashiest, but it'll get the job done at a great price. If you don't want to use this, it's in a spoiler, so you can ignore it. If you have a bit more money to spend, you can refer to the price list Juno posted that I gave her, or just go ahead and find your own build. Nothing is more satisfying than finalising a build you constructed yourself... For me. I love doing this. My favourite hobby, albeit expensive. Anyway, here:
Spoiler:

If you have any questions after this, feel free to ask away, though I might be slow replying. I hope this helps as a cover-all for the basics in gaming rigs and so on, and gives you a little insight to help you go away and try something yourself, without being completely clueless. I remember my first build I didn't even realise cable management was possible nor that it was necessary! I hope you have fun if you do decide to build yourself and I highly recommend it. The experience is invaluable. That does it for me, Aiden out!

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Okay. Moving right on now to the final part of this ramble which is my suggested build to you. It's not going to be the biggest, it's not going to be the flashiest, but it'll get the job done at a great price. If you don't want to use this, it's in a spoiler, so you can ignore it. If you have a bit more money to spend, you can refer to the price list Juno posted that I gave her, or just go ahead and find your own build. Nothing is more satisfying than finalising a build you constructed yourself... For me. I love doing this. My favourite hobby, albeit expensive. Anyway, here:
Spoiler:

If you have any questions after this, feel free to ask away, though I might be slow replying. I hope this helps as a cover-all for the basics in gaming rigs and so on, and gives you a little insight to help you go away and try something yourself, without being completely clueless. I remember my first build I didn't even realise cable management was possible nor that it was necessary! I hope you have fun if you do decide to build yourself and I highly recommend it. The experience is invaluable. That does it for me, Aiden out!

Thank you for putting so much effort into helping me! I really did not expect this!

I see your list has a cooler, but does it include fans? I have no problem putting it all together (i love building!), but what are the chances of a noob like me breaking something inadvertently?

Considering my relative lack of information on building PC's, I will most likely go with that set-up. Its almost $200 more than the one I'm currently looking at, but its much more modern, and if I follow your coolant recommendation, it should last throughout the next 5 years (right?). I want it to last at least that long, which is why I'm willing to put in more money than I otherwise would.
(https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GUA882-Desktop-FX-4300-7200RPM/dp/B01IPY2XC0/ref=dp_ob_title_ce)

How much is Juno's set-up? If its not that much more, I think ill consider it. Its just that its a lot of money and I need to manage my savings. Ill try and strike a deal with my parents as well (them contributing some money in place of a birthday gift).

Circuit

Years
Firstly, no problem, this is my favourite hobby, and I've put a ton of time into it, but that time and experience is pointless if I don't pass it on and help others. I'm gonna break your post into parts to answer each question for you :)

I see your list has a cooler, but does it include fans?

No, but the case should include stock fans which, when on a budget, do the job more than well enough. Of course, if you have the money to spend a plan in your head, feel free to fork out extra on some more. For mine I spent a good couple of hours planning it, thinking which type of fan to put where (yes, there is more than one type of fan, and whilst kinda interchangeable, they're also not, and it's worth having the right ones in the right places). If you want me to go into this, say the word, because I actually had a blast planning the air flow in my case. It's one of those things that really makes you feel like you've thought the whole thing through.

I have no problem putting it all together (i love building!), but what are the chances of a noob like me breaking something inadvertently?

Very small. If you just follow the advice I gave you for when putting it together, nothing should happen. I mean, the chances of breaking a motherboard even with static charge are small (although I managed it before I even got to use one once). But that chance is still there, so always pay attention and don't let excitement rush you. As long as you take your time you'll be fine.

Considering my relative lack of information on building PC's, I will most likely go with that set-up. Its almost $200 more than the one I'm currently looking at, but its much more modern, and if I follow your coolant recommendation, it should last throughout the next 5 years (right?). I want it to last at least that long, which is why I'm willing to put in more money than I otherwise would.
(https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC-GUA882-Desktop-FX-4300-7200RPM/dp/B01IPY2XC0/ref=dp_ob_title_ce)

That actually isn't a bad PC and price you've linked there, and is something I'd actually think about recommending if someone asked me what to buy when looking for a pre-built desktop for "cheap". It wasn't a question, but I wanted to note that this is a somewhat solid build for the money. Of course I can do under 300$ if you really want, but that wouldn't last you 5 years.

How much is Juno's set-up? If its not that much more, I think ill consider it. Its just that its a lot of money and I need to manage my savings. Ill try and strike a deal with my parents as well (them contributing some money in place of a birthday gift).

Erm, if I recall correctly Juno's build was like, around the 1000$ mark? I'm sure I can improve it what with the release of AMDs new Ryzen processors, and the next line of gpus they released too, but yeah for that build I'd say you'd be around 1000$ out of pocket, so it's considerably more. But also a considerable step up in terms of performance. Actually, if you wanted a build around that price as a suggestion, then I'll make you a new build list, because I'm certain I can do better than that build now. It was a while ago after all.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Firstly, no problem, this is my favourite hobby, and I've put a ton of time into it, but that time and experience is pointless if I don't pass it on and help others. I'm gonna break your post into parts to answer each question for you :)
awesome!

No, but the case should include stock fans which, when on a budget, do the job more than well enough. Of course, if you have the money to spend a plan in your head, feel free to fork out extra on some more. For mine I spent a good couple of hours planning it, thinking which type of fan to put where (yes, there is more than one type of fan, and whilst kinda interchangeable, they're also not, and it's worth having the right ones in the right places). If you want me to go into this, say the word, because I actually had a blast planning the air flow in my case. It's one of those things that really makes you feel like you've thought the whole thing through.
does the case come with the recommended airflow? and how do I know exactly where in the case each item should be placed? And on this note, do I need to purchase rails, screws, and nuts to secure each item in place?

Very small. If you just follow the advice I gave you for when putting it together, nothing should happen. I mean, the chances of breaking a motherboard even with static charge are small (although I managed it before I even got to use one once). But that chance is still there, so always pay attention and don't let excitement rush you. As long as you take your time you'll be fine.
thats good then lol

That actually isn't a bad PC and price you've linked there, and is something I'd actually think about recommending if someone asked me what to buy when looking for a pre-built desktop for "cheap". It wasn't a question, but I wanted to note that this is a somewhat solid build for the money. Of course I can do under 300$ if you really want, but that wouldn't last you 5 years.
Thats the one my friend bought, but he had to replace the CPU to play Battlefield 1 and then to run the CPU he had to buy a better power supply lol.

Last edited:

Circuit

Years
does the case come with the recommended airflow? and how do I know exactly where in the case each item should be placed? And on this note, do I need to purchase rails, screws, and nuts to secure each item in place?

The case fans will usually be pre-installed to have something like 1 intake on the front and one exhaust on the back. You can monitor your PC during the first months you use it and see if the temps are to your liking, and if they're not you can also buy more fans as you need. I would recommend buying two SP120mm fans for your hyper 212 evo if you get it, since the stock fan that comes with it is very lack-luster. The case manual will tell you where everything goes, how it can go, and how to secure it in place, and with it should come all the necessary screws, offsets and cable ties. In short, motherboard will be in the centre, and the screw holes needed will be labelled with a letter depending on your motherboard size, so refer to the motherboard specs and case manual to find out. CPU, GPU, RAM and cooler will all be mounted on the motherboard, whilst HDD will have a dedicated tray, SSD should have a mount behind the motherboard, if not then will also have a dedicated tray and PSU will sit on the bottom of your case. But if you're not sure about where something goes or how just open up your manual and give it a quick look through, it'll tell you.

For sure that PC you linked has many downsides to a self-built PC for the same price, but pre-built PCs will always have a premium attached, since they come with windows installed as well, which adds a hefty amount to the price. Of course, you can in theory get a free version from the microsoft website iirc, which cuts 100€ or so from any build.

My PC I just built recently cost in total 1200€ and is an amazing monster of PC now. If you're interested I'd share with you the build and how I planned the thing, because this took me days of planning before I even started ordering parts.

But yeah, also take a look around deals sites, sometimes you stumble across a great deal for a part that you can switch out for one in your planned build, and save a decent amount of money. It pays to scout around before buying anything, and don't stick to one site. Check multiple price comparison sites and try and find the cheapest possible seller. That's how building yourself really becomes a money saver. Taking the time to find the best deals and parts is an important part of building your own. Also, there are sites where you give them a build list and they build it for you, just for information. Of course, these also cost more than doing it yourself, but it gives you a little more freedom to get the pc you want if building yourself really wasn't your cup of tea, so they're like the middle ground between building yourself and buying pre-built... With a premium.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
The case fans will usually be pre-installed to have something like 1 intake on the front and one exhaust on the back. You can monitor your PC during the first months you use it and see if the temps are to your liking, and if they're not you can also buy more fans as you need. I would recommend buying two SP120mm fans for your hyper 212 evo if you get it, since the stock fan that comes with it is very lack-luster. The case manual will tell you where everything goes, how it can go, and how to secure it in place, and with it should come all the necessary screws, offsets and cable ties. In short, motherboard will be in the centre, and the screw holes needed will be labelled with a letter depending on your motherboard size, so refer to the motherboard specs and case manual to find out. CPU, GPU, RAM and cooler will all be mounted on the motherboard, whilst HDD will have a dedicated tray, SSD should have a mount behind the motherboard, if not then will also have a dedicated tray and PSU will sit on the bottom of your case. But if you're not sure about where something goes or how just open up your manual and give it a quick look through, it'll tell you.

For sure that PC you linked has many downsides to a self-built PC for the same price, but pre-built PCs will always have a premium attached, since they come with windows installed as well, which adds a hefty amount to the price. Of course, you can in theory get a free version from the microsoft website iirc, which cuts 100€ or so from any build.

My PC I just built recently cost in total 1200€ and is an amazing monster of PC now. If you're interested I'd share with you the build and how I planned the thing, because this took me days of planning before I even started ordering parts.

But yeah, also take a look around deals sites, sometimes you stumble across a great deal for a part that you can switch out for one in your planned build, and save a decent amount of money. It pays to scout around before buying anything, and don't stick to one site. Check multiple price comparison sites and try and find the cheapest possible seller. That's how building yourself really becomes a money saver. Taking the time to find the best deals and parts is an important part of building your own. Also, there are sites where you give them a build list and they build it for you, just for information. Of course, these also cost more than doing it yourself, but it gives you a little more freedom to get the pc you want if building yourself really wasn't your cup of tea, so they're like the middle ground between building yourself and buying pre-built... With a premium.

I fixed the last post... idk why I did [/QUOTE] lol.

Ill check out those parts you gave me and research potential cheap replacements, ideally having the same parts on sale.

Yes! Please tell me how you planned it... it sounds interesting!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
This topic was pretty useful to me as well. I've been having lots of PC troubles and after its been rebuilt, I've been more interested in laptops.

I don't PC game much anymore due to these issues and have mostly moved to consoles, but the rig was just average at best and I could still play everything I ever wanted just fine. I'm not a performance diva. It doesn't have to be in ultra HD or any of that. I just want to play them. If it runs smooth enough to play, that's all I need.

I recently found a refurbished now like new laptop running even nicer specs than the PC I have. So long as the same applies; I don't see why not, I'm good. And for about 200 cheaper than what I paid for the PC in 2015.

I already treat my electronics like porcelain, nor do I travel much, but the versatility and especially the battery backup of laptops will save me a lot of the PC issues I've been having.

My PC hard-drive was completely corrupted due to outages not turning it off properly. Even just one time is enough to corrupt it, and that's enough of a warning to me to prefer laptops instead. No worries of that with a battery with a charge.

The PC is repaired with all parts replaced so it's like new, so I'm just going to sell it and go the laptop route instead from now on. Can't handle these PC issues that have been plaguing me for about a year now.

I bought a lower power, older but refurbished laptop a month or so ago for just general use, not gaming, and have had zero issues whatsoever.

Last edited:

ArchieNorris

Banned
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 10, 2018
Thanks for sharing this information. Actually, I am also looking for some amazing video game.
I would like to buy a multiplayer computer game.

Back