• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 3] Pokemon Leaf Green but I can only use Fire types

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
Years
  • Age 20
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hi, I'm taking on the Monotype Ultimate Challenge (here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=421499), with my type of choice being Fire. For Kanto, I am playing Leaf Green.

ENTRY ONE

Gym(s) Completed:
Brock

Current Party:
Magnus - Charmeleon
Slave - Rattata
Slave - Pikachu

So, after going through the whole beginning song and dance, I picked Charmander as my starter and named him "Magnus". I beat my rival (who I named "Kene"), and went through the whole process to get the Pokedex and Pokeballs. On Route 1, I caught a Rattata, as the rules of the challenge allow for catching non-Fire Pokemon for the purpose using HM's. I fought and beat Kene on Route 22, and then went to the Viridian Forest. There, I caught a Pikachu, and Magnus learned Metal Claw, which proved vital to winning against Brock. After beating Brock, Magnus evolved into Charmeleon. The last thing I did before calling it a day was fight the trainers on Route 3 for EXP.

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
Years
  • Age 20
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ENTRY 2

Gyms Completed:
Brock
Misty

Current Party:
Magnus - Charmeleon
Slave - Rattata
Slave - Pikachu

The first thing I did was go through Mt. Moon and the rest of Route 4, leveling up Magnus some. After struggling to defeat Misty, I trained Magnus on the Nugget Bridge, Route 24, and Route 25, acquiring the S.S. Ticket on the way. The extra levels, plus a strategy using Smokescreen, ensured my victory against Misty. I went through Routes 5 and 6, leveling up Magnus a little more on the trainers, and reached Vermillion City, coming to a stop there.

Years
I was wondering how you managed to get past Misty with only Charmeleon, but then I realized that this is a regular Monotype challenge and not a Monotype (Hardcore) Nuzlocke. :p Those are all over YouTube at the moment, whenever I see the monotype label, I automatically assume those other rules are in place too.

Still, huge props to you for attempting a Monotype challenge with a type of which only very few Pokemon are available and none of them have amazing coverage. I honestly predict that Flareon will be the MVP of this run. I've used one multiple times in gen III and Flamethrower/Return/Dig/Shadow Ball is a pretty powerful moveset with great coverage. Shadow Ball being physical in this Gen makes Flareon an excellent option for both Sabrina and Agatha as well!

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
Years
  • Age 20
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ENTRY 3

Gyms Completed:
Brock
Misty
Lt. Surge

Current Team:
Magnus - Charizard
Slave - Rattata
Slave - Pikachu

I went into the S.S. Anne and fought the trainers there, including Kene. I acquired Cut, and thus was able to access the Electric Gym. Due to Magnus being somewhat highly leveled, I was able to beat Lt. Surge fairly easily. After beating Lt. Surge, Magnus evolved into Charizard. I then had to catch a bunch of Pokémon I will not use so I could get Flash. After doing that, I got a Bike, and went through Route 9, Route 10, and Rock Tunnel. I made my stop in Lavender Town and saved, calling it a day.

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
Years
  • Age 20
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ENTRY 4

Gyms Completed:
Brock
Misty
Lt. Surge
Erika

Current Team
Rusty - Flareon
Suki - Ninetales
Magnus - Charizard
Slave - Rattata
Slave - Pikachu

I went to Route 8 and managed to catch a Vulpix, who I nicknamed "Suki". After making it to Celadon City, I went to the Celadon Mansion and acquired the Eevee, nicknamed him "Rusty", evolving him into Flareon after buying two Fire Stones from the Celadon Department Store. I taught Rusty Dig and Return, and went through the tedious process of acquiring enough coins from the Rocket Game Corner to get the TM's for Flamethrower and Shadow Ball to teach to Rusty. I went and fought everyone in the Rocket Hideout, getting the Silph Scope. I trained more at the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town, and I evolved Suki with the other Fire Stone I bought from the Celadon Department Store after she learned Flamethrower and Safeguard. After getting the Pokeflute, I went back to Celadon City and fought Erika, beating her fairly easily. I went to Route 16/Cycling Road, acquired Fly, beat the Snorlax blocking my way, and went through Cycling Road. I made it to Fuchsia City, and went through the Safari Zone until I got both Surf and Strength. I saved in the Fuschia City Pokemon Center and called it a day.

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
Years
  • Age 20
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ENTRY 5

Gyms Completed:
Brock
Misty
Lt. Surge
Erika
Koga
Sabrina

Current Team:
Rusty - Flareon
Magnus - Charizard
Suki - Ninetales
Slave - Rattata
Slave - Pikachu
Slave - Lapras

After going through the Safari Zone and acquiring, among other things, Surf and Strength, I decided to do some training at Silph Co. in Saffron City (which I passed through at some point), acquiring a Lapras in there, which will be what I'll use for Surf. After beating Kene (the rival) and Giovanni, as well as acquiring the Master Ball, I went back to Fuchsia City, and fought Koga's gym. After beating Koga, I promptly went to Saffron City, did a little extra training in the Fighting Dojo, then fought Sabrina's gym. I beat Sabrina's gym, and saved in the Saffron City Pokemon Center, calling it a day.

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
Years
  • Age 20
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ENTRY 6

Gyms Completed:
Brock
Misty
Lt. Surge
Erika
Koga
Sabrina
Blaine
Giovanni

Current Team:
Suki - Ninetales
Magnus - Charizard
Rusty - Flareon
Slave - Ratatta
Slave - Pikachu
Slave - Lapras

I went through Route 19, the Seafoam Islands, and Route 20, reaching Cinnabar Island. After going through the Pokémon Mansion and acquiring the Secret Key, I went into Blaine's gym, and fought him once I reached him using Rusty and Magnus. After beating Blaine, I skipped out on going to the Sevi Islands with Bill (that's for after I beat the Elite Four), and flew to Viridian City. I went into Giovanni's gym, and once I reached him, I fought him primarily using Rusty and Magnus. I called it a day and saved in the Viridian Pokémon Center after a failed attempt to beat my rival at Route 22.

Apologies for the hiatus!

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
Years
  • Age 20
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
ENTRY 7

Gyms Completed:
Brock
Misty
Lt. Surge
Erika
Koga
Sabrina'
Blaine
Giovanni

Current Team:
Magnus - Charizard
Rusty - Flareon
Suki - Ninetales

After training up my Pokemon enough, I fought and beat my rival on Route 22, then made my way to and through Route 23 and Victory Road. I struggled through Lorelei, but eventually was able to beat her. I breezed through Bruno and Agatha thanks to Magnus and Rusty, but struggled to get past Lance's Gyrados and Aerodactyl. Once I got past those two, however, I was able to sweep through the rest of his team pretty easily thanks to Magnus knowing Dragon Claw. Finally, I faced my rival, and defeated him on the first try after a grueling battle through his Blastoise. I went into the Hall of Fame, and let the credits roll.

My adventure is far from over, though. Stay tuned for my adventure through the Sevii Islands and rematch of the Elite Four.

AngeltheTogekiss468

Togekiss Queen
Years
  • Age 20
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
FINAL ENTRY

Unfortunately, due to an unexpected loss of data, I will be ending the run on short notice. Stay tuned, however, for "Pokemon Soul Silver but I can only use Fire types"!

Back