The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #21026    
Old May 5th, 2012 (10:17 AM).
Dieachu's Avatar
Dieachu Dieachu is offline
     
    Join Date: Apr 2012
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 11
    Advance text doesn't work on my windows 7. I know I have to change the scripts, and to do so I usually use advance map. But I can't find it in advance map.
    __________________
    www.dieachu.weebly.com. ---- A simple website, worth a view.
      #21027    
    Old May 5th, 2012 (10:26 AM).
    droomph's Avatar
    droomph droomph is offline
    weeb
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: nowhere spectacular
    Age: 21
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Impish
    Posts: 4,291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dieachu View Post
    Advance text doesn't work on my windows 7. I know I have to change the scripts, and to do so I usually use advance map. But I can't find it in advance map.
    *sigh*

    You can use PKSV to search text, script, Pokémarts and more. Just search the "Hello! Welcome to the world of POKÉMON!" part and then mark the offset and change it from there.

    For a quick temp link just make a msgbox that links to that text and decompile, and PKSV will let you modify that text.

    But seriously, just get XP and use A-Text for that.
    __________________
    did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
    o i forgot 5
    uraqt


      #21028    
    Old May 5th, 2012 (11:08 AM). Edited May 5th, 2012 by Mallowigi.
    Mallowigi's Avatar
    Mallowigi Mallowigi is offline
       
      Join Date: Aug 2010
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 54
      Why A-Text doesn't work? It works perfectly well for me. Are you sure you got the last version?

      By the way I have a short question: when adding items into the map, we have to set a PersonID to make the flag appear. Did this flag must be new or could it be everything? Do i need to keep a table of flags used for all my items in the game? thanks.

      Never mind, I just found the solution: if the person (i.e. the pokeball) id is X, then put the value X on the "Person ID" field to make the Pokeball appear until the player pick it up.

      It wasn't clear and diego didn't explained that in his tuto, I think it would be a great idea to add it for future questions like these.
        #21029    
      Old May 5th, 2012 (11:43 AM).
      Dieachu's Avatar
      Dieachu Dieachu is offline
         
        Join Date: Apr 2012
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 11
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
        Why A-Text doesn't work? It works perfectly well for me. Are you sure you got the last version?
        I'm not sure, which is the latest version? Could you pm me a link please?
        __________________
        www.dieachu.weebly.com. ---- A simple website, worth a view.
          #21030    
        Old May 5th, 2012 (12:11 PM).
        Capitalist Ness's Avatar
        Capitalist Ness Capitalist Ness is offline
        can't stump the trump
           
          Join Date: Jul 2008
          Location: Poland
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 67
          Hey, I have a serious problem, please, help me.
          I've replaced Azurill, Marill and Azumarill with Vanillite, Vannilish and Vanniluxe.
          Some guy evolved Vanillite in my hack, and said that it makes glitches.
          And it does.
          When Vanillite evolves, it's sprite isn't showed. In evolution animation, it just goes like this: *vannilish sprite* *blank* *vannilish sprite* *blank*
          Ok, it evolved, cool. This problem could be ignored, but, suddenly!
          I've tried looking at its summary, and game freezed. Just black screen.
          I have no idea what happens in battle. It's probably a freeze too.
            #21031    
          Old May 5th, 2012 (1:52 PM).
          Mallowigi's Avatar
          Mallowigi Mallowigi is offline
             
            Join Date: Aug 2010
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 54
            Is there someone who can help me by PM? (or another mean of communication)

            I think XSE ****s up my script at compile time and I dont see why. But this is not a simple question, therefore if there is some charitable soul who I can copypaste my script to give me a hint because now...

            Thanks.
              #21032    
            Old May 5th, 2012 (3:04 PM). Edited May 5th, 2012 by droomph.
            droomph's Avatar
            droomph droomph is offline
            weeb
             
            Join Date: Sep 2011
            Location: nowhere spectacular
            Age: 21
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Impish
            Posts: 4,291
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Flame View Post
            Hey, I have a serious problem, please, help me.
            I've replaced Azurill, Marill and Azumarill with Vanillite, Vannilish and Vanniluxe.
            Some guy evolved Vanillite in my hack, and said that it makes glitches.
            And it does.
            When Vanillite evolves, it's sprite isn't showed. In evolution animation, it just goes like this: *vannilish sprite* *blank* *vannilish sprite* *blank*
            Ok, it evolved, cool. This problem could be ignored, but, suddenly!
            I've tried looking at its summary, and game freezed. Just black screen.
            I have no idea what happens in battle. It's probably a freeze too.
            Probably has something to do with your sprite and the pointers and everything. Check it again.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
            Is there someone who can help me by PM? (or another mean of communication)

            I think XSE ****s up my script at compile time and I dont see why. But this is not a simple question, therefore if there is some charitable soul who I can copypaste my script to give me a hint because now...

            Thanks.
            Go download it again. That usually works.

            If not, check every step and be ABSOLUTELY sure you're doing everything right.
            __________________
            did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
            o i forgot 5
            uraqt


              #21033    
            Old May 5th, 2012 (4:40 PM).
            redriders180's Avatar
            redriders180 redriders180 is offline
            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
               
              Join Date: Jun 2010
              Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quirky
              Posts: 540
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Flame View Post
              Hey, I have a serious problem, please, help me.
              I've replaced Azurill, Marill and Azumarill with Vanillite, Vannilish and Vanniluxe.
              Some guy evolved Vanillite in my hack, and said that it makes glitches.
              And it does.
              When Vanillite evolves, it's sprite isn't showed. In evolution animation, it just goes like this: *vannilish sprite* *blank* *vannilish sprite* *blank*
              Ok, it evolved, cool. This problem could be ignored, but, suddenly!
              I've tried looking at its summary, and game freezed. Just black screen.
              I have no idea what happens in battle. It's probably a freeze too.
              This happened to me once too...It happens when the sprite isn't LZZ compressed. When I edited Pokemon Sprites with unlz.gba, sprites would sometimes "uncompress", or something. Ever since I switched to Wichu's sprite editor, it hasn't happened. If you download it, and go to the sprite that isn't shown up, an error message like "Data isn't compressed" will pop up.

              Also, you might have some unforseen trouble with replacing Azurill. Breeding Vanillish or Vanilluxe will probably make it breed to Vanillish, instead of Vanillite, unless Vanillish is holding whatever incense. I think this is part of the DayCares coding...There's most likely a simple fix, but just a heads up.
              __________________


              I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                #21034    
              Old May 6th, 2012 (1:00 AM).
              Capitalist Ness's Avatar
              Capitalist Ness Capitalist Ness is offline
              can't stump the trump
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2008
                Location: Poland
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Adamant
                Posts: 67
                Thanks, I'm now inserting the sprites of Vanillite and the others with Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor.
                You know, I asked once if there's any way to breed Marill and get Azurill without Incense. I've got no response to this day, because I want my hack to "promote" the breeding. I'm always editing the Egg Moves after modifying the Pokemon with YAPE.
                  #21035    
                Old May 6th, 2012 (6:35 AM).
                CCCPancakes's Avatar
                CCCPancakes CCCPancakes is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2012
                  Age: 22
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 19
                  I could use a little help.

                  I added a stairway into my rivals house, but now when I try warping to the rivals room, it takes me to the titlescreen.
                  I checked the warp numbers, map banks, all that jazz, but nothing works.
                  __________________
                    #21036    
                  Old May 6th, 2012 (10:25 AM).
                  Mallowigi's Avatar
                  Mallowigi Mallowigi is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2010
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 54
                    Hi, I'm back!

                    I need clarification for some things in scripting here, because after looking for some scripts on the main game and after looking after diego's tutorial, there are some things that are not clear for me: the flags and variables.


                    I understand the concept, flags are here to prevent a script for executing more than once, to go to a certain branch etc... but outside of this there is a lot of misunderstandings.

                    First of all: how do you set a flag. Not the command, i know the setflag and clearflag, the question is about how do i know what number to give to him? Do I have to search for an offset first like for the #org ? Can I use a random value or a value related to the script, or sprite, or whatever?

                    The same goes for variables. It's a lot more hard to understand for someone who is used to program in languages when a var is something local, that you must declare before use. Here it's sort of a global variables, with some already used by the game (and I don't know which)

                    Thanks.
                      #21037    
                    Old May 6th, 2012 (10:31 AM).
                    Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
                    Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                    Memento Mori
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2008
                    Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
                    Age: 26
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 14,530
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
                    Is there someone who can help me by PM? (or another mean of communication)

                    I think XSE ****s up my script at compile time and I dont see why. But this is not a simple question, therefore if there is some charitable soul who I can copypaste my script to give me a hint because now...

                    Thanks.
                    XSE does not "4 stars" your script ;)
                    You must be doing something wrong =)

                    @Mallowigi: The same number as the flag/var you use must be put into the specific bar =)
                    __________________
                    ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack.

                    Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                      #21038    
                    Old May 6th, 2012 (10:37 AM).
                    Mallowigi's Avatar
                    Mallowigi Mallowigi is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2010
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 54
                      But what is the value? something totally random? What if that value is already used somewhere else?
                        #21039    
                      Old May 6th, 2012 (10:45 AM).
                      CCCPancakes's Avatar
                      CCCPancakes CCCPancakes is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Apr 2012
                        Age: 22
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 19
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
                        Hi, I'm back!

                        I need clarification for some things in scripting here, because after looking for some scripts on the main game and after looking after diego's tutorial, there are some things that are not clear for me: the flags and variables.


                        I understand the concept, flags are here to prevent a script for executing more than once, to go to a certain branch etc... but outside of this there is a lot of misunderstandings.

                        First of all: how do you set a flag. Not the command, i know the setflag and clearflag, the question is about how do i know what number to give to him? Do I have to search for an offset first like for the #org ? Can I use a random value or a value related to the script, or sprite, or whatever?

                        The same goes for variables. It's a lot more hard to understand for someone who is used to program in languages when a var is something local, that you must declare before use. Here it's sort of a global variables, with some already used by the game (and I don't know which)

                        Thanks.
                        I haven't looked too much at variables yet, but with flags you can set just about any random flag (save the "special" flags). It'd be smart to use flags that aren't already used in the ROM, but you can use any random number.
                        __________________
                          #21040    
                        Old May 6th, 2012 (11:45 AM).
                        miksy91's Avatar
                        miksy91 miksy91 is offline
                        Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
                           
                          Join Date: Oct 2008
                          Location: Finland
                          Gender: Male
                          Posts: 1,451
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
                          But what is the value? something totally random? What if that value is already used somewhere else?
                          Flags (and variables) affect certain parts in RAM memory. By using completely random flags, you may overwrite data that you wouldn't want to.
                          Your best bet would be using the flags that are already in the game because you know for sure that ram area is reserved for the flags and no other data is written there.
                          __________________
                          Pokémon Dark Energy
                          Some ROM hacking related stuff
                            #21041    
                          Old May 6th, 2012 (12:22 PM). Edited May 6th, 2012 by Mallowigi.
                          Mallowigi's Avatar
                          Mallowigi Mallowigi is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2010
                            Gender: Male
                            Posts: 54
                            Ok, to sum it up, given a list of used flags, I put one of these in my script, let's say Person 1 on VIRIDIAN, who gives me the ItemSeeker on the first dialogue.

                            setflag 0x2C

                            Then, when I talk to that guy again, he doesnt offer me the item because the checkflag prevent so.

                            BUT, what if that flag is already used in another script not related to the map, say, PEWTER? this setflag would fudge it up isn't it?

                            This is why i'm confused.

                            Also, another question: Let's say I compile a script a hundred times. The space is used every time I compile it, therefore the memory available is decreasing little by little. Is it okay, or should I do a backup before scripting, debug, and then apply the debugged script to the backup?

                            Also, I got a problem with a warp:
                            warp 0x4 0x3 0x2 0x6 0xC
                            waitstate
                            which is supposed to make me warp to OAK's lab, but the game freeze at that point.

                            Sknaht

                            EDIT: Never mind the two last questions, for the space, just use #removeall lOffset before the script, and for the second one, just a dumb FE missing (reminds me of the first days in programming when we use to look for the ; missing XD)
                              #21042    
                            Old May 6th, 2012 (1:27 PM).
                            CCCPancakes's Avatar
                            CCCPancakes CCCPancakes is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2012
                              Age: 22
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 19
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
                              Ok, to sum it up, given a list of used flags, I put one of these in my script, let's say Person 1 on VIRIDIAN, who gives me the ItemSeeker on the first dialogue.

                              setflag 0x2C

                              Then, when I talk to that guy again, he doesnt offer me the item because the checkflag prevent so.

                              BUT, what if that flag is already used in another script not related to the map, say, PEWTER? this setflag would fudge it up isn't it?

                              This is why i'm confused.
                              Using the same flag with 2 different scripts will "fudge up" the script. Flags are universal, they aren't restricted to one script.
                              __________________
                                #21043    
                              Old May 6th, 2012 (2:23 PM).
                              droomph's Avatar
                              droomph droomph is offline
                              weeb
                               
                              Join Date: Sep 2011
                              Location: nowhere spectacular
                              Age: 21
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Impish
                              Posts: 4,291
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by CCCPancakes View Post
                              I could use a little help.

                              I added a stairway into my rivals house, but now when I try warping to the rivals room, it takes me to the titlescreen.
                              I checked the warp numbers, map banks, all that jazz, but nothing works.
                              Which version of AMap are you using? Old versions usually screw the warps up, 1.92 on shouldn't do that.

                              Also check if you have a warp on the other end.
                              __________________
                              did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
                              o i forgot 5
                              uraqt


                                #21044    
                              Old May 6th, 2012 (2:32 PM).
                              CCCPancakes's Avatar
                              CCCPancakes CCCPancakes is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Apr 2012
                                Age: 22
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 19
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by droomph View Post
                                Which version of AMap are you using? Old versions usually screw the warps up, 1.92 on shouldn't do that.

                                Also check if you have a warp on the other end.
                                I'm using 1.9.5. I just tried it with 1.9.2., still didn't work. Also, both warps are there. Oddly enough, this is the only warp that does this.
                                __________________
                                  #21045    
                                Old May 6th, 2012 (2:33 PM).
                                redriders180's Avatar
                                redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                                  Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Quirky
                                  Posts: 540
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
                                  Ok, to sum it up, given a list of used flags, I put one of these in my script, let's say Person 1 on VIRIDIAN, who gives me the ItemSeeker on the first dialogue.

                                  setflag 0x2C

                                  Then, when I talk to that guy again, he doesnt offer me the item because the checkflag prevent so.

                                  BUT, what if that flag is already used in another script not related to the map, say, PEWTER? this setflag would fudge it up isn't it?

                                  This is why i'm confused.

                                  Also, another question: Let's say I compile a script a hundred times. The space is used every time I compile it, therefore the memory available is decreasing little by little. Is it okay, or should I do a backup before scripting, debug, and then apply the debugged script to the backup?

                                  Also, I got a problem with a warp:
                                  warp 0x4 0x3 0x2 0x6 0xC
                                  waitstate
                                  which is supposed to make me warp to OAK's lab, but the game freeze at that point.

                                  Sknaht

                                  EDIT: Never mind the two last questions, for the space, just use #removeall lOffset before the script, and for the second one, just a dumb FE missing (reminds me of the first days in programming when we use to look for the ; missing XD)
                                  What I do is I write down all the flags I've used in a notepad file. Then, when I'm writing new scripts, I know which not to use. I use a Rom Base that already had all events removed, and it's sometimes a good idea to do that, since you have control over every flag. If you're too far into it, though, then you'll just have to check every script to look for conflicting flags, especially if you aren't editing them all.
                                  __________________


                                  I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                    #21046    
                                  Old May 6th, 2012 (2:34 PM).
                                  Spherical Ice's Avatar
                                  Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
                                   
                                  Join Date: Nov 2007
                                  Location: Bristol, UK
                                  Age: 20
                                  Posts: 5,226
                                  How would one edit the script that's executed upon activation of special 0x108 (Kanto 'dex Diploma) in FireRed? This script plays a fanfare, but I would like to know the location if possible.
                                  __________________

                                  A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                                  Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                                    #21047    
                                  Old May 6th, 2012 (2:46 PM).
                                  redriders180's Avatar
                                  redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                  Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2010
                                    Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Quirky
                                    Posts: 540
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by CCCPancakes View Post
                                    I'm using 1.9.5. I just tried it with 1.9.2., still didn't work. Also, both warps are there. Oddly enough, this is the only warp that does this.
                                    I bet it has something to do with events or maps in the Rivals room itself. Try putting in two completely different warps, that leads to the rivals room. If they do the same thing, it's something with the Rivals room.

                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
                                    How would one edit the script that's executed upon activation of special 0x108 (Kanto 'dex Diploma) in FireRed? This script plays a fanfare, but I would like to know the location if possible.
                                    I don't think it's a script, but probably some simple ASM. The special table starts at 0x0815FD60, and it's a list of pointers to specials. Just go down to the right pointer, and that'll give you the ASM you need.
                                    __________________


                                    I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                      #21048    
                                    Old May 6th, 2012 (2:56 PM).
                                    CCCPancakes's Avatar
                                    CCCPancakes CCCPancakes is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Apr 2012
                                      Age: 22
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Posts: 19
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                      I bet it has something to do with events or maps in the Rivals room itself. Try putting in two completely different warps, that leads to the rivals room. If they do the same thing, it's something with the Rivals room.
                                      Thank you. Apparently there was some sprite that was hidden causing the game to crash.
                                      __________________
                                        #21049    
                                      Old May 6th, 2012 (3:08 PM).
                                      Spherical Ice's Avatar
                                      Spherical Ice Spherical Ice is online now
                                       
                                      Join Date: Nov 2007
                                      Location: Bristol, UK
                                      Age: 20
                                      Posts: 5,226
                                      Thanks, redriders. Does anyone know the hex number for the fanfare that plays when you receive a badge?

                                      It can be activated in text via the code: "\c\h06Á" but I'd like to activate it through the fanfare command.
                                      __________________

                                      A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                                      Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                                        #21050    
                                      Old May 6th, 2012 (4:15 PM).
                                      CCCPancakes's Avatar
                                      CCCPancakes CCCPancakes is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Apr 2012
                                        Age: 22
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Posts: 19
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
                                        Thanks, redriders. Does anyone know the hex number for the fanfare that plays when you receive a badge?

                                        It can be activated in text via the code: "\c\h06Á" but I'd like to activate it through the fanfare command.
                                        I believe its this:
                                        fanfare 0x13E
                                        __________________
                                        Closed Thread

                                        Quick Reply

                                        Join the conversation!

                                        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                        Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                        Thread Tools

                                        Posting Rules
                                        You may not post new threads
                                        You may not post replies
                                        You may not post attachments
                                        You may not edit your posts

                                        BB code is On
                                        Smilies are On
                                        [IMG] code is On
                                        HTML code is Off

                                        Forum Jump


                                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:53 AM.