• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Is anyone ditching their starter?

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I haven't ditched mine completely yet. It's fourth or fifth in lvl on my team. Neutral nature Serperior with bad IV hasn't ended well. The Litwick final evolution and my Pokemon catcher are my highest lvls.

I'm new to the newer generations being a Red/Silver player before Black 2. But starters just don't even compare to the usefulness they did in Gen1. I will breed some Snivy later but this one is garbage.

dieter57

pokemon master
Years
In all my years playing pokemon, this was the first time I actually boxed my starter.

I kind of avoided pokemon websites and forums to stay spoiler free. I picked snivy as my starter and had no idea that past gen pokemon were able to be caught so early in the game. As soon as I picked up a roselia, I made my tough decision to box my servine. Roserade is one of my favorite pokemon so i had to replace my grass member of my team with her.

Years
  • Seen Nov 9, 2017
BW2 made me box my emboar just because blaziken has a better move pool and we were made for each other <3

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
I switched my Samurott with Starmie after the eighth gym. I would have done it earlier, but I felt like I was doing something wrong :/

Mr. Magius

  
Years
Yeah I'm not too fond of the 5th gen starters either. I actually ditched my Servine on my first playthrough of Black because he was too weak, and wow... he's ugly.

I'm probably gonna be ditching my starter on W2, after my B2 playthrough with Tepig. Tepig's pretty much the only starter I don't mind.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Not yet, as I just got him, but I'll ditch my Oshawott by the time I'll get a Pokemon I want.
Not that I don't like them or anything, but just because it's your first one doesnt mean it has to be on the team. Planned team being Zangoose, Archeops, Ninetails, Lucario, Electabuzz & Leavanny.

PlatinumDawnFtw

Vocaloid fan~
Years
I have been really considering ditching my starter in my next playthrough because in my opinion Oshawott is the only one actually worth using in B2W2 and I have used him way too much.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
The only starter I liked is Emboar. This was a huge surprise to me because I find Emboar to be the least appealing as far as looks go, but Samurott and Serperior were replaced fast on my team because I couldn't make any use for them. I thought Emboar would suffer the same fate, and it almost did with Volcarona, but it's just SUCH a powerhouse! I am pleasently surprised because I am sick to death of fire-fight starters.

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2014
I would never ditch them. In HG/SS, maybe. But in BW2 they are really important (Since I'm too lazy to train up replacements).

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I kept my Samurott in White but in White 2 when I had Serperior and I caught a Virizoin...I ditched it so fast!!

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I have sent my Serperior to PC because it is already in proper level (Level 100), and because I'm thinking of training other Pokemon.

Years
Going in to White 2, I was on the fence about keeping my starter with me throughout the game, but I had never used Snivy before so I gave it a far shot. Currently, it's the highest leveled member of my team, and I just beat the final Gym. Whether I continue going forward with it on my team remains to be seen, but I wouldn't see it as "ditching" at that point either way.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2013
I ditched my Tepig in a box at the first PC available in the game. I replaced him with a team of three dream world Pokemon: Slowpoke, Swablu, and Beldum. My final team ended up being Arcanine, Slowbro, and Metagross.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I never ditch my starter because I play the game for RPG reasons... It makes sense that you would keep it. Plus they're mostly very useful Pokémon.

Back