• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

sonic65101

Johto Champion
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 12, 2023
How to evolve Electabuzz to Electivire?
If I'm reading the source code correctly, Electabuzz needs to level up to Level 30 or higher while holding an Electirizer, which can be found in Rock Tunnel or held by some wild Electabuzz.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Jun 26, 2018
I love this hack! It feels very official!
Question: What's the rough date for the release of 3.0?
Also, is there a trainers list? Doesn't need to be completely full, just for the important battles. Thanks anyway.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I love this hack! It feels very official!
Question: What's the rough date for the release of 3.0?
Also, is there a trainers list? Doesn't need to be completely full, just for the important battles. Thanks anyway.

There's no release date except Soon?. I keep missing any concrete deadlines. :P Besides Polished Crystal I'm helping out with Red++ and Orange, and have responsibilities that come before PC.

The code files are readable enough that there's no need for separate lists of things. Trainers' parties are in data/trainers/parties.asm.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 3, 2018
I had a question, but luckily enough I solved it myself. Thanks for all your work here. Polished Crystal and Red++ are fascinating, and they add extra value to the community as bases for other hacks.

NergyTheMighty

Can't we all just get along? Pretty please?
Years
I'm doing a second run of the game as I speak because I pretty much beat the whole game on the first run and enjoyed it every step of the way, no questions asked. However, there were a few things I noticed that I feel kinda took away the experience a very tiny bit, but I still wanted to point out:

* Rock Tunnel has a demake of the Kalos Power Plant music as its theme, which I found a bit off for some reason. Yes, the Rock Tunnel is close to the Power Plant, and you even find the Lode Stone to evolve Magneton with in there, but I felt like it didn't fit the theme enough. To be honest, I thought the generic Kanto cave theme fit it better than what was used in this hack.

* Same goes for the Safari Zone in Kanto, where it uses a demake of a Sinnoh route music (I think it's 210?) as its theme. Again, it felt off. I don't know why. The Great Marsh theme from the same game definitely could've fit it way better, if it exists.

* I know your reasoning for omitting Stantler from this hack (he sux), but, like you did with Ledian, Persian, and the like, you could've easily changed Stantler's typing to Normal/Psychic, and give him a buff to his stats, you know, make him a better Girafarig or sometheing. Just a thought.

* The themes for both PokeWalker routes both don't sound right. For instance, Yellow Forest's Route 210 demake feels very unfinished, and the Quiet Cave, while benefitting from no music at the moment (Get it? QUIET cave? :laugh-squinted:), I still feel like there should at least be a tiny bit of white noise to up the ante of the cave, y'know? Just my thoughts.

That should be all the nitpicking out of the way; apart from these concerns, this is one of the best Pokemon hacks I've ever played (apart from Prism, but everyone says that nowadays :wink-right-eye:), and I hope you keep up the good work!

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I'm doing a second run of the game as I speak because I pretty much beat the whole game on the first run and enjoyed it every step of the way, no questions asked. However, there were a few things I noticed that I feel kinda took away the experience a very tiny bit, but I still wanted to point out:

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And it's always useful to have constructive criticism, thanks.

Rock Tunnel has a demake of the Kalos Power Plant music as its theme, which I found a bit off for some reason. Yes, the Rock Tunnel is close to the Power Plant, and you even find the Lode Stone to evolve Magneton with in there, but I felt like it didn't fit the theme enough. To be honest, I thought the generic Kanto cave theme fit it better than what was used in this hack.

After Magnet Tunnel is finished (a new location in 3.0, it's what the Magnet Train goes through east of Goldenrod), it will be the new Magnezone-evolving location, and Rock Tunnel will go back to normal.

Same goes for the Safari Zone in Kanto, where it uses a demake of a Sinnoh route music (I think it's 210?) as its theme. Again, it felt off. I don't know why. The Great Marsh theme from the same game definitely could've fit it way better, if it exists.

Likewise, after the Safari Game is restored, this will have different music—not sure what though. It depends on what's already been demixed, and what people are interested in demixing later.

I know your reasoning for omitting Stantler from this hack (he sux), but, like you did with Ledian, Persian, and the like, you could've easily changed Stantler's typing to Normal/Psychic, and give him a buff to his stats, you know, make him a better Girafarig or sometheing. Just a thought.

If there weren't a 253-Pokémon limit, yeah, I'd probably have a Normal/Psychic Stantler and a Psychic/Dark Girafarig.

[quotee]The themes for both PokeWalker routes both don't sound right. For instance, Yellow Forest's Route 210 demake feels very unfinished, and the Quiet Cave, while benefitting from no music at the moment (Get it? QUIET cave? :laugh-squinted:), I still feel like there should at least be a tiny bit of white noise to up the ante of the cave, y'know? Just my thoughts.[/quote]

Yellow Forest has new music in the 3.0 beta. Noise music is tricky to compose, but I'll see what's doable.

ppvsonicspy

PPV MasterGamer
Years
So how do I get the infinite money code for the 3.0.0 version? I didn't understand anything on how to get that compiled file or how to convert those codes. Also if it's not too much trouble, infinite coins code as well please.

ppvsonicspy

PPV MasterGamer
Years
Ok I'm using the 3.0.0 beta and I ran into a problem. I'm playing on the PC and on the phone. The one on the phone I'm playing on Nuzlocke mode and I got a Flaaffy to lvl 30 and it evolved, like it should. On the PC though, I'm not playing Nuzlocke mode and Flaaffy is at lvl 32 and still didn't evolve.

Years
  • Age 119
  • Seen Jan 6, 2020
So I managed to open up the sealed passage way on Route 47 and the Cliff Cave area but it would seem that the passage way is now offset to the side of cliff and can't be entered. Is this just unfinished content or a glitch?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Ok I'm using the 3.0.0 beta and I ran into a problem. I'm playing on the PC and on the phone. The one on the phone I'm playing on Nuzlocke mode and I got a Flaaffy to lvl 30 and it evolved, like it should. On the PC though, I'm not playing Nuzlocke mode and Flaaffy is at lvl 32 and still didn't evolve.

I'm using non-faithful build and my flaaffy evolved at lvl 35. So keep your chin up. You're almost there!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Yeah I figured it out. I guess I was using the faithful version on the phone and didn't realize.

Yeah, that's probable. If the typings of the Pokemon are 100% correct with the actual games, you are using faithful build. If, for example, your Thyplosion is Fire/Ground type or your aforementioned Flaaffy evolves into an Electric/Dragon type Ampharos, then you are on the unfaithful build. I believe this is the fastest way to understand which build you are proceeding on.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Does the option to have traded Pokemon get normal experience (i.e. not boosted) work yet? I turned it on in the v3.0 build released a few days ago but the traded Voltorb from Violet City still gets boosted experience?

Last edited:

Zero-G

on the fly
Years
Alright, I actually just registered here to reply on what I think is the best Crystal hack out there (I've played others too, but none have been appealing as much to me as this one). So let me first and foremost say Thank You for making this game a reality.

I've completed the game twice (once with a regular team of Mismagius/Gyarados/Mamoswine/Magnezone/Starmie/Farfetch'd - on this note, Thank You, again, for making Farfetch'd relevant) and once with a mono-Water team (Starmie/Gyarados/Poliwrath/Politoed/Lanturn/Feraligatr). But, as I only played 2.2.0, I have a few questions toward 3.0.

And no, I don't want to pester you with asking when 3.0 is finally fully out. I understand development takes time and you're busy with other things too. Until it's there, I'm perfectly content with finishing 2.2.0. Again.

So, questions.
.) When you complete the Unown Dex, these stones open up, revealing new battles with relevant people/champions from later gens. But I believe there are three of those. I only found two, the one in Alph Ruins and the one near Quiet Cave. Where is the third one? I can't find it for the life of me. Am I just blind or is this a 3.0 addition?
.) Will Magneton be able to evolve before getting into Kanto with Magnet Tunnel being implemented? I don't particularly mind the way it is now (because Eviolite Magneton is hot), so this is more of a QoL question.
.) Probably QoL again, but could Mismagius be tweaked to learn a few moves after evolving? Having to take a Misdreavus up to level 62 to have the moves it IMO needs is a bit of a drag. Even with Eviolite access. (This is probably tying in, but why isn't it getting Moonblast?)
.) (edited) Out of curiosity, why does Bruno have a Pinsir? Wouldn't a Heracross be much more flavorful to him?

So, yeah. Just minor questions to what is already my favorite Crystal hack. Just keep up the good work, and I'll excitedly await 3.0 to be out fully :t245:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
.) When you complete the Unown Dex, these stones open up, revealing new battles with relevant people/champions from later gens. But I believe there are three of those. I only found two, the one in Alph Ruins and the one near Quiet Cave. Where is the third one? I can't find it for the life of me. Am I just blind or is this a 3.0 addition?
.) Will Magneton be able to evolve before getting into Kanto with Magnet Tunnel being implemented? I don't particularly mind the way it is now (because Eviolite Magneton is hot), so this is more of a QoL question.
.) Probably QoL again, but could Mismagius be tweaked to learn a few moves after evolving? Having to take a Misdreavus up to level 62 to have the moves it IMO needs is a bit of a drag. Even with Eviolite access. (This is probably tying in, but why isn't it getting Moonblast?)
.) (edited) Out of curiosity, why does Bruno have a Pinsir? Wouldn't a Heracross be much more flavorful to him?

So, yeah. Just minor questions to what is already my favorite Crystal hack. Just keep up the good work, and I'll excitedly await 3.0 to be out fully

You're welcome; I've had fun making it, and I'm glad you did playing it. :)

To answer your questions:

There have always been only two of those grooves/holes, so you've found both.

Yes, Magnet Tunnel will be the new place to evolve Magneton, so Rock Tunnel probably won't do that any more.

Mismagius is one of those Stone-evolved Pok?mon, like Arcanine, Nidoqueen, etc, that if you want it to learn moves then wait to evolve it. I might let it learn Moonblast in non-Faithful though.

Bruno does have a Heracross in 3.0; did I give him a Pinsir in 2.2.0? Anyway, that's fixed. :P

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
You're welcome; I've had fun making it, and I'm glad you did playing it. :)

To answer your questions:

There have always been only two of those grooves/holes, so you've found both.

Yes, Magnet Tunnel will be the new place to evolve Magneton, so Rock Tunnel probably won't do that any more.

Mismagius is one of those Stone-evolved Pok?mon, like Arcanine, Nidoqueen, etc, that if you want it to learn moves then wait to evolve it. I might let it learn Moonblast in non-Faithful though.

Bruno does have a Heracross in 3.0; did I give him a Pinsir in 2.2.0? Anyway, that's fixed. :P
Hey Rangi, great game so far! I'm currently playing the most recently released v3.0.0, and the option for having traded Pokemon have your Trainer ID doesn't seem to work, though I've only tested it on the Voltorb in Violet City so far.

Zero-G

on the fly
Years
Thanks for answering, Rangi! I understand the Mismagius argument now. (and to be fair, I was just mentioning Moonblast because I thought it would fit in with mon flavor. It appears wild only at night, so we could probably lore-testify this by the moon giving it magical power.)

And yes, Bruno has a Pinsir in 2.2.0. I didn't know you changed this for 3.0, so preemptive Thank You on that regard!

I honestly kept imagining there would be a third groove like this. Well, if there's only two, then I guess my question is answered? :P

Zero-G

on the fly
Years
I'm giving in to my temptation and going to start playing the 3.0.0 beta now. But this brings along a question that I'd rather have asked one too many times than encountering something and fall flat.

So... how far (an estimate is fine enough) is the beta I downloaded (3.0.0-c7ebdea) off the full version?

I'm not asking for a full release date, just... how much am I missing out on that's being supposedly added for the full version?

EDIT
I might've found a bug in this beta. I was wondertrading in Goldenrod City, and eventually obtained a pokemon I wanted to keep (Timid Staryu), but had the wrong ability in Illuminate. Earlier, I had gotten an Ability Capsule, so I saved my game and wanted to see if I could change its ability to Natural Cure. Here's what happened:

using Ability Capsule -> "Do you want to change your Staryu's ability to Illuminate?" -> shrug it off as graphical and hit yes -> Ability Capsule wasted, but Staryu still had the ability it had before using the item.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 119
  • Seen Jan 6, 2020
Can you catch wild pokemon with hidden abilities? I've been able to get the lapras, the eevee, and the extreme speed dratini with their hidden abilities.

Years
  • Age 119
  • Seen Jan 6, 2020
The answer is yes. Slopoke with regenarator caught. Still wondering about the hidden passage I unlocked.

Back