• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] Abilities that depend on the target's HP won't activate.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
I have no idea why, but for some reason, abilities that depend on the target's HP, like Moxie, Beast Boost, and Wimp Out, won't work in my game. Does anyone know why this could possibly be the case?

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Can you send the section of code that deals with one of the abilities that were affected?

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Here are 5 abilities that are supposed to activate when a Pokemon faints:
Code:
# Moxie
    if user.hasWorkingAbility(:MOXIE) && target.fainted? #user.hp>0 && target.hp<=0
      if user.pbIncreaseStatWithCause(PBStats::ATTACK,1,user,PBAbilities.getName(user.ability))
        PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Moxie")
      end
    end
    # Battle Bond
    if isConst?(user.species,PBSpecies,:GRENINJA) && user.hasWorkingAbility(:BATTLEBOND)
      if target.fainted? && user.form!=1
        user.form=1
        pbUpdate(true)
        @battle.scene.pbChangePokemon(user,user.pokemon)
        @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} made a bond with his trainer!",user.pbThis))
        PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Battle Bond")
        PBDebug.log("[Form changed] #{user.pbThis} changed to form #{self.form}")
      end
    end
    # Beast Boost
    if user.hasWorkingAbility(:BEASTBOOST) && user.hp>0 && target.hp<=0
      if user.attack >= user.defense &&
         user.attack >= user.spatk &&
         user.attack >= user.spdef &&
         user.attack >= user.speed
         if user.pbIncreaseStatWithCause(PBStats::ATTACK,1,user,PBAbilities.getName(user.ability))
          PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Beast Boost (raising Attack)")
        end
      elsif user.defense >= user.spatk &&
         user.defense >= user.spdef &&
         user.defense >= user.speed &&
         user.defense >= user.attack
         if user.pbIncreaseStatWithCause(PBStats::DEFENSE,1,user,PBAbilities.getName(user.ability))
          PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Beast Boost (raising Defense)")
        end
      elsif user.spatk >= user.spdef &&
         user.spatk >= user.speed &&
         user.spatk >= user.attack &&
         user.spatk >= user.defense
         if user.pbIncreaseStatWithCause(PBStats::SPATK,1,user,PBAbilities.getName(user.ability))
          PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Beast Boost (raising Special Attack)")
        end
      elsif user.spdef >= user.speed &&
         user.spdef >= user.spatk &&
         user.spdef >= user.attack &&
         user.spdef >= user.defense
         if user.pbIncreaseStatWithCause(PBStats::SPDEF,1,user,PBAbilities.getName(user.ability))
          PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Beast Boost (raising Special Defense)")
        end
      elsif user.speed >= user.spdef &&
         user.speed >= user.spatk &&
         user.speed >= user.attack &&
         user.speed >= user.defense
         if user.pbIncreaseStatWithCause(PBStats::SPEED,1,user,PBAbilities.getName(user.ability))
          PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s Beast Boost (raising Speed)")
        end
      end
    end
    # Power of Alchemy, Receiver
    if (user.hasWorkingAbility(:POWEROFALCHEMY) ||
      user.hasWorkingAbility(:RECEIVER)) && @battle.doublebattle &&
        user.pbPartner.fainted?
      usable=false
      abil=user.pbPartner.ability
      if abil>0 &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:POWEROFALCHEMY) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:TRACE) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:MULTITYPE) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:ILLUSION) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:FLOWERGIFT) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:IMPOSTER) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:STANCECHANGE) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:COMATOSE) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:BATTLEBOND) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:POWERCONSTRUCT) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:RECEIVER) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:FORECAST) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:WONDERGUARD) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:DISGUISE) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:ZENMODE) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:SCHOOLING) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:SHIELDSDOWN) &&
             !isConst?(abil,PBAbilities,:RKSSYSTEM)
            usable=true
      end
      if usable
        abilityname=PBAbilities.getName(abil)
        PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{user.pbThis}'s #{PBAbilities.getName(user.ability)} turned into #{abilityname} from #{user.pbPartner}")
        user.ability=abil
        @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} copied {2}'s {3}!",user.pbThis,user.pbPartner,abilityname))
      end
    end
And here are 2 abilities that are supposed to activate when a Pokemon's HP is under half:
Code:
# Wimp Out/ Emergency Exit
      if (target.hasWorkingAbility(:WIMPOUT) || target.hasWorkingAbility(:EMERGENCYEXIT)) &&
         !target.effects[PBEffects::SkyDrop] && thismove.function!=0x0EC # Circle Throw, Dragon Tail
        if target.hp+turneffects[PBEffects::TotalDamage]>(target.totalhp/2).floor && 
           target.hp<=(target.totalhp/2).floor
          PBDebug.log("[Ability triggered] #{target.pbThis}'s #{PBAbilities.getName(target.ability)}")
          if [email protected]
            pbSEPlay("Battle flee"); @battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} fled!",target.pbThis))
            for i in 0...4
              @battle.choices[@battle.battlers[i].index][0]=-1
            end
            @battle.decision=3
            PBDebug.log("[Escape] #{target.pbThis} fled")
          else
            if @battle.pbCanSwitch?(target.index,-1,false) && [email protected]?(@battle.pbParty(target.index))
              newpoke=0
              [email protected](target.index,true,false)
              newpokename=newpoke
              if isConst?(@battle.pbParty(target.index)[newpoke].ability,PBAbilities,:ILLUSION)
                newpokename=pbGetLastPokeInTeam(target.index)
              end
              target.pbResetForm
              @battle.pbRecallAndReplace(target.index,newpoke,newpokename)
              @battle.choices[target.index]=[0,0,nil,-1]   # Replacement Pokémon does nothing this round
              target.pbAbilitiesOnSwitchIn(true)
            end
          end
        end
      end
    end
For some reason, none of these will activate in my game.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Do you see anything wrong with these codes?
(By the way, I'm sorry about posting it twice. I'm not really used to posting on forums.)

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
I don't see anything wrong with these codes, so there must be a problem in methods checking the HP of Pokemon. Does this also affect items like with Sitrus Berry or is it only affecting abilities.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
I don't see anything wrong with these codes, so there must be a problem in methods checking the HP of Pokemon. Does this also affect items like with Sitrus Berry or is it only affecting abilities.

It only seems to be affecting abilities. I tested to see if Sitrus Berries worked, and they do (however, they don't eat them until the very end of the turn; I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way)

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
That's odd. Assuming Moxie, Beast Boost, etc. are in the pbEffectsAfterHit method and Wimp Out/Emergency Exit are in the pbProcessMoveAgainstTarget method, I'm not sure what would cause this. Though I'm not an expert on these scripts, so someone else might see something that I don't.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
That's odd. Assuming Moxie, Beast Boost, etc. are in the pbEffectsAfterHit method and Wimp Out/Emergency Exit are in the pbProcessMoveAgainstTarget method, I'm not sure what would cause this. Though I'm not an expert on these scripts, so someone else might see something that I don't.

I'm guessing that pbEffectsAfterHit is affected by another part of the script that I may have accidentally messed up. I'm hoping that somebody knows what parts of the script I should check to make sure all these abilities are working.

Back