• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: (currently unnamed) Generation 1 Remake in Crystal

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 19, 2020
made an account here to request that you not add a bunch of unnecessary new story garbage that may alienate many players. I think a high quality remake in gen 2 is very exciting as it is. while we don't need new story events or dialogue, some small tweaks would be very cool to add like apricorn hunting and gen 2 battle system, new types, moves, and move changes introduced in gen 2, (struggle being neutral type, etc), the battle tower, and pokemon battle animations from Crystal. Also, this is something I desperately wish would be included in every single ROM hack and mainline series entry alike, but PLEASE include a way to catch or evolve every single pokemon in generation 1 and remove trade only evolutions. looking forward to seeing the progress you make over time :)

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
made an account here to request that you not add a bunch of unnecessary new story garbage that may alienate many players. I think a high quality remake in gen 2 is very exciting as it is. while we don't need new story events or dialogue, some small tweaks would be very cool to add like apricorn hunting and gen 2 battle system, new types, moves, and move changes introduced in gen 2, (struggle being neutral type, etc), the battle tower, and pokemon battle animations from Crystal. Also, this is something I desperately wish would be included in every single ROM hack and mainline series entry alike, but PLEASE include a way to catch or evolve every single pokemon in generation 1 and remove trade only evolutions. looking forward to seeing the progress you make over time :)

disagreed, gen 1 is horrendously dated at this point and I recall there WERE story elements that were supposed to be there that never got in. There was supposed to be more information on Mew and Mewtwo, Giovanii was supposedly aware Mewtwo existed as well (which is what inspired the anime's course of events for the character), and due to the both of those things it was supposed to have some more information with regards to Mr. Fuji having once been the cinnibar lab's director. Gen 1 is far too simplistic, even in its various remakes. Heck even gen 2 was lacking to some degree. Gen 3 was where plot was finally being taken serious in pokemon with gen 5 often being the gold standard. We can always do better.

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Hey, do you plan on uploading your code to github? I plan on doing a true gen 0 game for my next hack (pokecrystal based) and I think it would be helpful to use your hack as base, or at least the borrow the redone gen 1 maps from. Good work.

8SomaCruz

Trying to be Something
Years
It's been a while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. As of right now, all of Kanto is complete and functional, with a few exceptions
- The ghost in Pokemon Tower is a stopper instead of an unwinnable battle.
- If you try hard enough, I'm sure that it's possible to run into a few instances where there's sprite set errors.
- Safari Zone uses the mechanics of the Bug Catching Contest, minus the day of week restrictions and the scoring. As a consequence, while there's no step counter, there is a time limit. Also, you can only catch one Pokemon at a time. Ideally, this is only temporary, but I only know so much about assembly.

Other than that, a few dex entries haven't been updated, and there might be a few small things I missed.

No, rather what's really been keeping me from moving forward is the post game. I'm no map designer, I won't deny it. Much less how to make good fleshed out maps that are interesting while making sense. There's also the fact of what it must contain. I had decided a while ago that the post game content would be where you could get items needed for gen 2 evolutions. But because of things I had to do in order for the game to keep track of you starting in Kanto, I can't have this post-game content have its own map. So, it needs to be compact.

Asides from that, I've really been wanting some better sprites for the roughneck and engineer trainer classes. Of the new trainer classes introduced in the hack, I'm only satisfied with the Tamer's sprite. Ideally, if I had a proper gen 2 styled back sprite for Red, I'd also go ahead and change Gold/Chris/Ethan to Red.

So yeah, that's my status update. See you in another 6 months

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2022
I suppose that if you can't make entirely new areas for the post-game content, maybe Route 25 (the infamous area behind Bill's house, for example...) or the Unknown Dungeon could be utilized for it?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Hello, how is everything? You're making my dream come true (playing red blue with crystal dynamics). Do you have the link to the most updated version, with kanto completed? Thanks in advance.

NOTE: I am Brazilian and I am using the Google translator

And Thanks. Thanks and Thanks

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2021
It's been a while, hasn't it? Sorry about that. As of right now, all of Kanto is complete and functional, with a few exceptions
- The ghost in Pokemon Tower is a stopper instead of an unwinnable battle.
- If you try hard enough, I'm sure that it's possible to run into a few instances where there's sprite set errors.
- Safari Zone uses the mechanics of the Bug Catching Contest, minus the day of week restrictions and the scoring. As a consequence, while there's no step counter, there is a time limit. Also, you can only catch one Pokemon at a time. Ideally, this is only temporary, but I only know so much about assembly.

Other than that, a few dex entries haven't been updated, and there might be a few small things I missed.

No, rather what's really been keeping me from moving forward is the post game. I'm no map designer, I won't deny it. Much less how to make good fleshed out maps that are interesting while making sense. There's also the fact of what it must contain. I had decided a while ago that the post game content would be where you could get items needed for gen 2 evolutions. But because of things I had to do in order for the game to keep track of you starting in Kanto, I can't have this post-game content have its own map. So, it needs to be compact.

Asides from that, I've really been wanting some better sprites for the roughneck and engineer trainer classes. Of the new trainer classes introduced in the hack, I'm only satisfied with the Tamer's sprite. Ideally, if I had a proper gen 2 styled back sprite for Red, I'd also go ahead and change Gold/Chris/Ethan to Red.

So yeah, that's my status update. See you in another 6 months

You said all of Kanto is functional but I literally became trapped in the Viridian City Gym and had to restart.

Years
  • Age 30
  • PA
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Hi there

I hope this hack is still active because I think it's great. All of the gen 1 gameplay and story in the style of crystal is actually becoming my go-to way for my gen 1 playthroughs. I also think it's awesome you're basing pokemon data from Japanese Blue because now finally I have a way of playing it in English!!

I don't understand all of the unnecessary criticism people are giving you regarding bugs and story. Yes, it's gonna have glitches because it's a work in progress demo. And for people who want a different gen 1 story, that makes absolutely 0 sense since this is supposed to be a gen 2 remake of gen 1. I don't hear people complaining that FireRed and LeafGreen had the same story...

I hope to see this project done soon if it's still alive. Thank you!! 😊❤️

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I actually love where you're going with this originally. There are plenty of hacks out there already that either look awful, or over do it on their own spin. Maybe some people want to try out a vanilla rby experience a on gsc's engine (as much as it would allow practically), and that's more than okay.

Back