• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
What would be the best way to find where ability data is stored in Emerald? I want to do something with the unused Cacophony, like convert it to be another ability. I found the name and description, but can't seem to find where the actual functional part of the data is.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Let me ask you guys this: are you both 100% self-taught, or did someone get you started somewhere along the way?

Yes, I am 100% self taught, the only thing I had open was ARM's own THUMB assembler reference and a debugger. I learned infinitely more by doing that and studying a routine I knew the final outcome of than by asking questions. I learned by doing, which is by far the best way to learn this sort of stuff.

I'm not some helpless noob asking for a premade ips, I'm someone who's trying to learn.

Who said you were?

Condescending though your post was, yes it will be helpful. I have an idea where to start now, and it was infinitely more helpful than karatekid552's "good luck man."

It certainly wasn't intended to be condescending, it was just meant to try to help instil the right mentality for ASM hacking in you.

By its very nature, ASM is very personal to the hacker and their hack, which is why many of the ASM hacks I've made for LC would be useless for other hacks (just as an example).

As a direct result of this, collaborations between ASM hackers are few and far between. We don't intentionally hide information from each other (generally speaking), but as an exercise to learning ASM hackers we do tend to try to teach them the right mindset.

I had no tutorials, or helpful ASM hackers guiding me in the learning process when I did it, so please recognise the difference between kk552 and myself, and the likes of HackMew who offered no help at all.

Three Questions About Emerald.

1. How to add new World Map?
2. What is Routine Adress to ASM pointer about Cries and Dex Entries
3. It is possible to port Mining Game from DPPT to Emerald Rom?

1. ASM combined with some extra graphics. I don't know where because I don't hack Emerald.
2. Don't know. Try finding it yourself, it's really not that hard, just work backwards from a known piece of data. See the posts I posted above for more info.
3. There's already examples of people having done it using no more than scripts, so I don't see why you couldn't do it. :)

What would be the best way to find where ability data is stored in Emerald? I want to do something with the unused Cacophony, like convert it to be another ability. I found the name and description, but can't seem to find where the actual functional part of the data is.

Abilities are handled almost exclusively by ASM, making them very hard to change. The few that aren't ASM are battle scripts.

Last edited:

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Yes, I am 100% self taught, the only thing I had open was ARM's own THUMB assembler reference and a debugger. I learned infinitely more by doing that and studying a routine I knew the final outcome of than by asking questions. I learned by doing, which is by far the best way to learn this sort of stuff.

Who said you were?

It certainly wasn't intended to be condescending, it was just meant to try to help instil the right mentality for ASM hacking in you.

By its very nature, ASM is very personal to the hacker and their hack, which is why many of the ASM hacks I've made for LC would be useless for other hacks (just as an example).

As a direct result of this, collaborations between ASM hackers are few and far between. We don't intentionally hide information from each other (generally speaking), but as an exercise to learning ASM hackers we do tend to try to teach them the right mindset.

I had no tutorials, or helpful ASM hackers guiding me in the learning process when I did it, so please recognise the difference between kk552 and myself, and the likes of HackMew who offered no help at all.

1. ASM combined with some extra graphics. I don't know where because I don't hack Emerald.
2. Don't know. Try finding it yourself, it's really not that hard, just work backwards from a known piece of data. See the posts I posted above for more info.
3. There's already examples of people having done it using no more than scripts, so I don't see why you couldn't do it. :)

Abilities are handled almost exclusively by ASM, making them very hard to change. The few that aren't ASM are battle scripts.

So Bad. Becouse I do not know any adress in Pokemone Emerald Rom. All my atemps to find them end with Corruption of Rom. I need cleary adress of this. I know that RUBY and EMERALD share that same Cry Engine adresses. I need to know that becosue I want add my new 27 pokemon their own cries.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years

Specifically, I'd want to change Cacophony to something like Ice Body (which it seems like would just be an edit of Rain Dish). Any idea if that could be done through battle scripts, or would it need asm?

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
Ok. I have one another type question. Someone can make for me Midi File of music to my fanmade region named Thonsu? I do not have great idea for that tune. This tune is for Wild Pokemon Battle. I have rest theme. But for this i do not have idea. Someone help?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Specifically, I'd want to change Cacophony to something like Ice Body (which it seems like would just be an edit of Rain Dish). Any idea if that could be done through battle scripts, or would it need asm?

That would need ASM. But it'd be fairly simplistic ASM, since you'd just be kind of reworking an existing ability. As with all ASM, the hardest part is finding where to put it, rather than anything else.

uliekztrollface?

U MAD BRO?
Years
  • Seen Aug 23, 2013
The program was made using tools that were used to create a virus
...That just does not sound good. So if it's not a virus in that case why would it be made the same way as one :P

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
...That just does not sound good. So if it's not a virus in that case why would it be made the same way as one :P

The way the program runs is what causes it to be picked up by McAfee and others as a virus. It is a text searcher. How many other programs log the locations of slightly encrypted text? Not many.

Ok. I have one another type question. Someone can make for me Midi File of music to my fanmade region named Thonsu? I do not have great idea for that tune. This tune is for Wild Pokemon Battle. I have rest theme. But for this i do not have idea. Someone help?

This is not the place for this.

I want to make my HGSS rom only allow the RNG to create perfect ivs spreads for every wild encounter. Does anyone know the HEX address, for which the formula for iv generation can be tweaked. I don't want to hex edit a .sav file, I want to hex edit the rom. I don't want to use pokeSAV. My apologies if this question was already asked. I couldn't find this topic in the HGSS rom hacking thread.

Sounds like you want to create perfect pokemon for use in tournaments without any work. Any true game maker knows that the IV/EV system is what allows each pokemon to be unique (and with the exception of Emerald's issues with the roam legendary's) is what makes the games fun. There is no reason to remove it, except so you can cheat easily, by not having to worry about making the pokmon legal, the game will do that for you. For that, I shall offer no help, even if I did know.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2021
So, I have two questions about Advanced Map.

1. Which version is better, 1.92 or 1.95? I know 1.95 is a later release but I heard it had more bugs than 1.92, so which version do you deem to be safer?

2. Is there any possible way to create and insert maps without interfering with the names of previously existing maps? Maybe someone could link me to a tutorial that explains, in-depth, how to create and insert maps and one that explains how to create proper map connections.

Thanks in advance.

karatekid552

Years
So, I have two questions about Advanced Map.

1. Which version is better, 1.92 or 1.95? I know 1.95 is a later release but I heard it had more bugs than 1.92, so which version do you deem to be safer?

2. Is there any possible way to create and insert maps without interfering with the names of previously existing maps? Maybe someone could link me to a tutorial that explains, in-depth, how to create and insert maps and one that explains how to create proper map connections.

Thanks in advance.

1) 1.95 has a lot of bugs. Use 1.92, it is far safer.

2) Creating new maps literally takes a few clicks. I think you can figure that out on your own. However, adding new map names is a completely different story. See here: http://174.133.255.180/showthread.php?t=212492

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
LU-HO said:
1) Using AM 1.95 together with AM 1.92:
Attention: if u use extended/32Mb sized Roms, you shouldn't use AdvanceMap 1.92 anymore.
AdvanceMap 1.92 create Errors if you try to save data in extended ROM area (from Offset 1234567 it make 234567).
If you use AdvanceMap 1.95 and want to change Worldmap with AM 1.92, be very careful so you don't damage your Rom...

Just be aware of this one major bug.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
That would need ASM. But it'd be fairly simplistic ASM, since you'd just be kind of reworking an existing ability. As with all ASM, the hardest part is finding where to put it, rather than anything else.

I have no real ASM experience, but I can read up and try my hand at simplistic. How do you suggest trying to find a specific ASM script?

I've started by trying to find any kind of reference to Rain Dish in the hex. I've found an address that points to the address of text message generated when an ability causes healing in battle ("XX's YY restored its HP a little." -- there were actually two of these, but I experimentally determined the 2nd was for healing items like Leftovers).

I've also found two address containing the name RAIN DISH; experimentally the first is used in battle and on the poke inspect screens. I have no idea what the second is for, but I found an address that points to it in what seems to be a table of pointers separated by: (pointer) ?? 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 (pointer) ??, etc.

There don't seem to be any references to either of those pointers or the first instance of RAIN DISH in the hex, so that seems to be as far backwards as I can work doing that. How else should I go about it?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Hi all, I have been away for a couple of months but I'm back into the swing of things.

I'm into ASM and wondering where is the best routines I should study to learn from? (If that makes sense)

I'm possibly going to start with IV value changing but I have read this info is encrypted. So I'm not sure if its the best start for me.

So which routine should I learn for a first timer!? (I have read a .doc called THUMB tutorial by 'bruno' if that helps)

Thanks PC!

karatekid552

Years
Hi all, I have been away for a couple of months but I'm back into the swing of things.

I'm into ASM and wondering where is the best routines I should study to learn from? (If that makes sense)

I'm possibly going to start with IV value changing but I have read this info is encrypted. So I'm not sure if its the best start for me.

So which routine should I learn for a first timer!? (I have read a .doc called THUMB tutorial by 'bruno' if that helps)

Thanks PC!

Ummm, I would start by reading my concepts guide if you haven't already, then explore all of the links I give at the end.

After that, pick something you want to do, and don't give up until you do it. Then move on to something else. That is how I learned.

Just be aware of this one major bug.

I did not know that. My rom is extended, but I am using that space for images, nothing much else. Good to know though.

EDIT. XD I FINALLY MADE THE 1000 POST MARK AND POSTED 5 MORE TIMES BEFORE NOTICING, lol!

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
I have no real ASM experience, but I can read up and try my hand at simplistic. How do you suggest trying to find a specific ASM script?

I've started by trying to find any kind of reference to Rain Dish in the hex. I've found an address that points to the address of text message generated when an ability causes healing in battle ("XX's YY restored its HP a little." -- there were actually two of these, but I experimentally determined the 2nd was for healing items like Leftovers).

I've also found two address containing the name RAIN DISH; experimentally the first is used in battle and on the poke inspect screens. I have no idea what the second is for, but I found an address that points to it in what seems to be a table of pointers separated by: (pointer) ?? 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 (pointer) ??, etc.

There don't seem to be any references to either of those pointers or the first instance of RAIN DISH in the hex, so that seems to be as far backwards as I can work doing that. How else should I go about it?
Tracing the string is probably not the best way to go, as your goal is simply to rewire an ability/weather check. It'd be much simpler to look for reads of either the active weather byte or a pokemon's ability during rain. These threads might be helpful:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917 - this is a pretty good primer on ASM editing, and the one that got me started
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=215644 - this has a bunch of RAM offsets documented that are extremely relevant to battle-related hacking

What I'd do is put a breakpoint on an active pokemon's ability, get in a battle in rain, then examine all the places it gets checked at the end of a turn and figure out which one is for comparing it with Rain Dish's ID (which you can figure out using the offsets in the second link). Alternatively, get a pokemon with Rain Dish and check out all the weather reads at the end of the turn to see where it gets compared to rain. Once you know *where* the checking is happening, it should just be a matter of experimenting with thumb to make the check accept hail+ice body as well as rain+rain dish (try replacing rain dish before expanding it to be a separate ability, it'll be much simpler and help you learn).

For reasons that have been explained elsewhere in the last couple of pages, I won't explain to you exactly how to do it- you'll need to figure out the finer steps yourself. Don't be afraid to break things- if something isn't working, try a different approach, and don't get discouraged when things don't work the first time.

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Had a question related to Script Editing. As for the "Special 0x9D" which is "Old Man Catches Weedle" special, is there any way to edit the special so that way he catches another Pokemon, Pikachu? The offset for the special is 0x9D but where is the battlescene script where Weedle Hex might be changed to Pikachu's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back