The PokéCommunity Forums Create & Discover Fan Fiction and Writing Writer's Lounge
2018 Writing Resolutions

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old January 1st, 2018 (2:51 PM).

Since the new year is on us, I figured that I'd ask.

Has anyone set any resolutions related to writing for 2018? What's your plan to keep these goals?

These could be related to your own writing, or even to other people's writing.

For instance, once my personal new year starts (January 21st), I'm hoping to review a fanfic either on here or on SPPf every day. I know that it's possible for me to do, and once I finish my current goals, I'll definitely will have time to review. With my own writing, we haven't made a goal for that because we didn't hit last year's goal! (Was supposed to finish Current Project, but am currently stuck on chapter 10 out of 12.)
    but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out."
    Old January 1st, 2018 (9:42 PM).
    Darkinium Z

Nature: Sassy
    I hope to finish Foul Play this year since I got some stuff planned already, just I seem to sometimes thought up different directions where I want to take it before going from point A to B haha. Maybe also write some Ace Attorney fanficiton since I saved up a lot of AA prompts from Dreamwidth and thought those would be fun to write.

Reading more would be nice too. I don't think I'm having too much problem with reading fanfics yet, but there are a lot I would like to still read. I too would also love to read more published books, only managed to read one or two last year.

(Copying this from Serebii since there was the exact same topic there haha)

"Meowth are all right. They don't care who you are or anything."
    Foul Play [Chapter Four up!]
    Old January 2nd, 2018 (12:07 AM).
    Ageha

Nature: Adamant
      I hope to figure out what kind of long story I want to write finally. Been thinking about writing three different kinds of pokemon stories, wrote first few chapters, then decided they were not good enough. XD
      Also going to try to write some short stories in the meanwhile.
      Old January 3rd, 2018 (9:45 AM).
      Not Suitable For All Ages

Nature: Naughty
      I'd like to finish either Orse Academy or NWOAOTA. I'd also like to be more consistent with my reviewing.
      Old January 4th, 2018 (12:56 AM).
      I also happen to be a model.

Nature: Relaxed
      I'd like to revive at least one of my dead projects, and finish it before starting anything else. :x
      Champion's Legacy
      ~on hiatus~
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      Mary Sues And You
      ~non-fiction~
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      New Game
      ~the classic~
      Old January 4th, 2018 (11:22 PM).
      Darkinium Z

Nature: Sassy
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Misheard Whisper View Post
      I'd like to revive at least one of my dead projects, and finish it before starting anything else. :x
      Oh hey, long time no see! Would be cool to see you get back to one of your stories or a new one entirely! I miss your writing haha.

"Meowth are all right. They don't care who you are or anything."
      Foul Play [Chapter Four up!]
      Old January 5th, 2018 (12:13 AM). Edited January 5th, 2018 by Misheard Whisper.
      I also happen to be a model.

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Bay Alexison View Post
      Oh hey, long time no see! Would be cool to see you get back to one of your stories or a new one entirely! I miss your writing haha.
      Long, long time! And having said that, I've been digging around through my old stuff and though it pains me, I can't actually see myself picking any of them up. So it may in fact be a new work entirely, though I hate leaving things unfinished. Maybe I should try for one-shots a while. I'm just not sure if I know how to do anything except OC chapterfics or parodies...
      Champion's Legacy
      ~on hiatus~
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      Mary Sues And You
      ~non-fiction~
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
      New Game
      ~the classic~
      Old January 18th, 2018 (4:50 PM).
      ! צדק צדק תרדוף

Nature: Calm
        Spent a long time telling myself I'd "get around" to writing the stuff that I have in mind.
        Actually gonna try and write it this year. I have some really good ideas that could definitely make it as original novels, but my thing is that I procrastinate and don't actually sit down and write them because I don't want to get halfway through and then not know where I'm going with it. I guess because I want to have everything done in one draft. So it's tough for me to realize I need to go over and over my projects and edit them to death, add things, remove things, etc.

I spent the last five years (haha ... theatre humor) roleplaying on Tumblr. Which in some cases was good because it did change my style a lot but at the same time my style was better beforehand. Which I'm noticing the more I look back at my old stuff from four to seven years ago, which was better because it was more from the heart. The Tumblr community I was around kind of made you feel crappy if you didn't write a certain way so I ended up losing a lot of my originality.

Hopefully I get that back now that I left that community since I've been writing for seventeen years and like to think I'm not a bad writer, haha. So that's what I'm looking at for 2018. Reconnecting to how I used to write, and getting my stuff off the ground for once in my life. Also reading a lot more. I used to devour books. I'm getting back there again, slowly. Mostly Neal Shusterman. He's incredible; his writing really pulls you in. So if you guys are looking for an author that does near-future dystopian YA fiction that's easy to read, I'd go for him. He's really original and a huge role model for me.
        Old January 19th, 2018 (6:24 PM).

Nature: Quiet
          I want to push out at least 5 chapters of Explorers of Destruction: Volume 1 before the end of 2018.
          Old January 21st, 2018 (10:07 AM).

Nature: Adamant
            I want to finish five and five; five fan fiction works and five original works. Some of this muk's been sitting in my computer for some years now so I'm trying not to procrastinate any longer.
            Old January 28th, 2018 (8:56 PM).
            Ascensionverse Author

Nature: Mild
              My 2018 resolution is to fully launch Acensionverse, an alternate timeline and expanded universe to the various official canons. So far I have about 20 titles sketched out, it's just narrowing it down to which title I want to officially launch it and filling in the details before sitting down to do chapter work.

Quick Reply