Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old January 15th, 2018 (8:05 PM). Edited January 15th, 2018 by Bay.
JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
     
    Join Date: Feb 2009
    Gender:
    Posts: 73
    I have some Questions about Ash Ketchum that I would like you to Help me Answer for my Story Ideas, okay?
    • What would Ash Ketchum's thoughts be about Slavery?
    • What would Ash Ketchum's thoughts be about weapons of extremely devastating power like The Death Star or StarKiller Base?
    Reply With Quote
      #2    
    Old January 16th, 2018 (12:01 AM).
    Bay's Avatar
    Bay Bay is offline
    Darkinium Z
     
    Join Date: May 2006
    Location: Dani California
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Sassy
    Posts: 5,386
    Hi there! So, I went and moved the thread to the Writer's Lounge since the main section is for posting your stories with the Writer's Lounge is discussing ideas and writing in general. You probably noticed that I removed the links you provided and main reason for that is it would come off as advertising. I'll at least still have the questions there for those in the forums willing to help out !

    Now, to answer your questions:

    >For the first question, you mean real world slavery or Pokemon slavery? If the former, is there a reason why slavery is being brought up? If the latter, I would ask same thing although that might be easier to answer and discuss than real life slavery. Depending what you mean by Pokemon slavery Ash most likely won't like it since it's been shown many times he wants to be friends with them.

    >For second question, I think there are several examples of him not liking the idea of weapons of that magnitude (several movies and XYZ anime's Team Flare arc ending comes to mind).

    I admit, those are odd questions for a story of yours, but hey I hope this is helpful at least!
    __________________

    "Meowth are all right. They don't care who you are or anything."
    Foul Play [Chapter Four up!]
    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old January 16th, 2018 (6:16 AM).
    Unown Seer's Avatar
    Unown Seer Unown Seer is offline
    Earnest
       
      Join Date: Aug 2009
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 169
      I think you might want to consider veering away from Ash for this type of story. I don't think his contribution to such a dark plot would be all that interesting; he would just rush into action without thinking about the situation too much.
      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old January 18th, 2018 (5:08 PM). Edited January 18th, 2018 by lv255.
      lv255's Avatar
      lv255 lv255 is offline
      ! צדק צדק תרדוף
         
        Join Date: Jan 2018
        Location: .יסוד
        Gender: Other
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 13
        ^ Agreed. A story with that dark of a narrative wouldn't really suit Ash. Not to say he can't be involved in darker narratives, but the dark narratives that would be able to fit him probably wouldn't be that uh, adult ? With darker, more realistic themes, it's probably best to use a different main character, lest you end up falling into tryhard territory --- when I was younger, we would write really edgy fic with dark themes but normal protagonists (like Ash and his friends) to try and impress our friends with how Adult we were, but looking back at our stuff now, it was mostly just badly written and embarrassing, lol.

        Not to say that a dark story with the normal protagonists can't be handled well, but it's definitely a little difficult if you want to avoid coming off edgy, and with something like slavery or the Death Star, I feel like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to keep him as the protagonist. Do you have an option to change your main character ? With limited knowledge on what you're going for, I can't offer much advice beyond what I've said here, so if you want to let us know just what you're trying to achieve fic-wise, we could probably help more.
        __________________
        signature under construction.
        nothing to see here, folks.
        Reply With Quote
          #5    
        Old January 18th, 2018 (9:13 PM).
        JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
           
          Join Date: Feb 2009
          Gender:
          Posts: 73
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by lv255 View Post
          ^ Agreed. A story with that dark of a narrative wouldn't really suit Ash. Not to say he can't be involved in darker narratives, but the dark narratives that would be able to fit him probably wouldn't be that uh, adult ? With darker, more realistic themes, it's probably best to use a different main character, lest you end up falling into tryhard territory --- when I was younger, we would write really edgy fic with dark themes but normal protagonists (like Ash and his friends) to try and impress our friends with how Adult we were, but looking back at our stuff now, it was mostly just badly written and embarrassing, lol.

          Not to say that a dark story with the normal protagonists can't be handled well, but it's definitely a little difficult if you want to avoid coming off edgy, and with something like slavery or the Death Star, I feel like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to keep him as the protagonist. Do you have an option to change your main character? With limited knowledge on what you're going for, I can't offer much advice beyond what I've said here, so if you want to let us know just what you're trying to achieve fic-wise, we could probably help more.
          I'll make it short and sweet...[inhaling & exhaling deeply]..."Pokemon Galaxies!" Which involves Ash Ketchem and (all of) his traveling companions going to another Galaxy to Free all the Planets that under the control of the Most Powerful Evil Organization of all time, Team Shadow," the hard way.
          Reply With Quote
            #6    
          Old January 18th, 2018 (10:18 PM).
          Vragon
          Guest
             
            Posts: n/a
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by JBJB710 View Post
            I'll make it short and sweet...[inhaling & exhaling deeply]..."Pokemon Galaxies!" Which involves Ash Ketchem and (all of) his traveling companions going to another Galaxy to Free all the Planets that under the control of the Most Powerful Evil Organization of all time, Team Shadow," the hard way.
            Um...okay, but that still brings up the problem that would be canon ash's character. I mean, it is possible, but it would take a drastic change in order to pull it off. Though, I can say that it would be an odd scenario considering ash has yet to actually do any space travel and all that (an no that rocket ship episode doesn't count). I mean, maybe a parallel universe thing or more futuristic, but I honestly don't really get things in this.

            I mean, not trying to deter your story, but something important to consider about already established characters is that you kinda have to keep them in context. Even if you do make changes to them, you have to explain them well else the audience that is knowledgeable of the character is going to be completely clueless.

            Again, the idea is fine, but I concur with Unown Seer and Iv255 that having a different character or someone that would fit the story format would work better. I mean you could keep a happy go lucky character and have a much easier time with writing him due to the flexibility of no pre-establishment.

            Just some things to consider and all.
            Reply With Quote
              #7    
            Old January 18th, 2018 (10:20 PM). Edited January 18th, 2018 by Bay.
            Bay's Avatar
            Bay Bay is offline
            Darkinium Z
             
            Join Date: May 2006
            Location: Dani California
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Sassy
            Posts: 5,386
            So you're writing a Pokemon version of Star Wars? While that does sound like it could be a cool idea, the other people already mentioned Ash probably isn't the best candidate for that. What I'm worried most is you run Ash's personality moreso like one of the Star War protagonists instead of Ash himself. Why you think Ash is a good candidate for this type of story?

            Also if I'm going to be honest, I think the "Ash going against the most evil team ever" has been done to death. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though since it's all in the execution, just that you'll need to work hard to make this work.

            Edit: Vragon beat me to it, lol. However, I want to point out something real quick:

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Vragon View Post
            Um...okay, but that still brings up the problem that would be canon ash's character. I mean, it is possible, but it would take a drastic change in order to pull it off. Though, I can say that it would be an odd scenario considering ash has yet to actually do any space travel and all that (an no that rocket ship episode doesn't count). I mean, maybe a parallel universe thing or more futuristic, but I honestly don't really get things in this.
            Actually Ash did some space travel, kind of. He and his group of friends did something similar to Ultra Space travel in the Sun/Moon anime and went to one of the planets with the Ultra Beasts. This is different than the scenario being discussed here though haha.
            __________________

            "Meowth are all right. They don't care who you are or anything."
            Foul Play [Chapter Four up!]
            Reply With Quote
              #8    
            Old January 18th, 2018 (10:34 PM).
            Vragon
            Guest
               
              Posts: n/a
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Bay Alexison View Post
              Also if I'm going to be honest, I think the "Ash going against the most evil team ever" has been done to death. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it though since it's all in the execution, just that you'll need to work hard to make this work.
              Yeah, and that's probably my main concern. It would be a very arduous process in trying to tie it in, not to mention Ash would have to be pretty powerful to fight a team that's enslaved many a planet.
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Bay Alexison View Post
              Edit: Vragon beat me to it, lol
              Finally! I have beaten the Bay of Alexion to the punch of the Cosmic proportions that even his baldness One Punch man would drop his sealed jaw in awe and dismay!

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Bay Alexison View Post
              Actually Ash did some space travel, kind of. He and his group of friends did something similar to Ultra Space travel in the Sun/Moon anime and went to one of the planets with the Ultra Beasts. This is different than the scenario being discussed here though haha.
              I mean yeah but we're talking about space outside the atmosphere. Ultra Space is more of dimensional rifts and travels to another universe/dimension space. Technicality perhaps, but I was more or less talking about space travel to space outside since the topic was galaxies. But thanks for pointing that out since I need to catch up on the Sun and Moon anime.
              Reply With Quote
                #9    
              Old January 19th, 2018 (10:43 AM).
              lv255's Avatar
              lv255 lv255 is offline
              ! צדק צדק תרדוף
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2018
                Location: .יסוד
                Gender: Other
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 13
                The main concern here seems to be how Ash (and the plot) are going to seem believable in this case. A good fic has you nodding along, hopefully immersed in it, because it makes sense that the characters and the plot would go this way. So I feel like in something like this, your main problem would be keeping Ash IC while still writing a story that keeps the level of gravity (heh ... space pun) that you would need for a fic involving heavy topics like slavery and the Death Star.

                Something I've found to work better is if you age up the protagonists. Ash at, say, twenty-five years old would handle the issue a lot better than ten-year-old Ash. He's seen a lot, been through a lot, and it's probably taken off a good chunk of the Childish Optimism he has as a character in the current series. The thing about the current series is that it's written for children (even though we can enjoy it, of course) and because of it, Ash is a child as well. Easier to relate to. But if you end up aging up characters you can usually write them much more believably in more adult situations. Just make sure that when doing so, if you do decide to do so, he doesn't turn into a totally different character --- for example, he will probably still largely believe in the power of his friends to get him through, but it will be a more serious take on it, and while he will still ultimately be somewhat reckless (he is Ash, after all, and kinda has trouble thinking past the next five minutes half the time, since he's rather short-sighted re: his actions), it's likely he'll understand that his friends and allies spend a lot of time and energy keeping him safe, and so he'd be more careful with what he decides to go ahead and actually do.

                Of course, he doesn't have to be an adult. That's just me offering advice. It's what I would do if I was tackling this story, in order to give Ash an actual, adult opinion about slavery and the Death Star, instead of trying to figure out how to make a kid react realistically to something that, for all intents and purposes, would be fairly traumatizing to a kid. But in the same vein, Ash has literally died before (multiple times, iirc) and been just fine, so I feel like it's mostly a question of how realistic you want your story to come off, and how invested/immersed in it you want your audience to be.
                __________________
                signature under construction.
                nothing to see here, folks.
                Reply With Quote
                  #10    
                Old January 21st, 2018 (4:16 PM). Edited January 21st, 2018 by JBJB710.
                JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2009
                  Gender:
                  Posts: 73
                  Ash Ketchum would be in his Teens by the time the story arc begins and will be an Adult by the time the arc ends because they'll be living that other galaxy for around 10 years.

                  P.S. Team Shadow is so powerful that even the leader of Team Rocket fears them because just one member of Team Shadow can take down every single member of Team Rocket in a Heartbeat. Not literally but you know what I mean right? Here's a Taste of what they're capable of; Unfortunately, you're going to have to use your imagination while you're watching this video because it's all I can scrounge up since I don't have the technology to create Animated Videos, so just replace Darth Sidious with the Leader of Team Shadow. okay?
                  Reply With Quote
                    #11    
                  Old January 22nd, 2018 (6:01 AM).
                  Vragon
                  Guest
                     
                    Posts: n/a
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by JBJB710 View Post
                    Ash Ketchum would be in his Teens by the time the story arc begins and will be an Adult by the time the arc ends because they'll be living that other galaxy for around 10 years.

                    P.S. Team Shadow is so powerful that even the leader of Team Rocket fears them because just one member of Team Shadow can take down every single member of Team Rocket in a Heartbeat. Not literally but you know what I mean right? Here's a Taste of what they're capable of; Unfortunately, you're going to have to use your imagination while you're watching this video because it's all I can scrounge up since I don't have the technology to create Animated Videos, so just replace Darth Sidious with the Leader of Team Shadow. okay?
                    Wait, so Team Rocket fear them despite Team Shadow being in another galaxy? I mean, call me slow, but that honestly is problematic in a way. Like, if Team Rocket knows of them, then others should as well (secret police etc.). Now, again I'm not saying you can't make this work, but if Team Shadow is a bunch of humans that control another galaxy and Team Rocket is somehow aware of their existence and is scared (implying they know what they are capable of) then I have to say that it's going to take a bit of explaining to make it all work.

                    Ash being in his teens at the beginning of the arc is fine, but keep in mind any development from his 10 year old boy self that is relevant to how he acts now needs to be touched upon, as well as morphing him as this goes along.

                    Also I'll put this under spoilers for the leader,

                    Spoiler:
                    So basically he'll have force powers. Cause, that's going to require explaining unless you tie in aura abilities and/or psychic powers. Something to consider is that if you introduce new mechanics in the Pokémon universe they have to fit in with the continuity of the pre-existing universe.

                    If it's his mon doing this then I can believe that then.


                    Overall, be careful not to go out of bounds in the universe without explaining why you can in the first place. Otherwise, I'll the flag of "Continuity and impractical" will be thrown. Also, is this going to be a long running fic, just curious?
                    Reply With Quote
                      #12    
                    Old January 22nd, 2018 (7:29 AM). Edited January 22nd, 2018 by JBJB710.
                    JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2009
                      Gender:
                      Posts: 73
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Vragon View Post
                      Wait, so Team Rocket fear them despite Team Shadow being in another galaxy? I mean, call me slow, but that honestly is problematic in a way. Like, if Team Rocket knows of them, then others should as well (secret police etc.). Now, again I'm not saying you can't make this work, but if Team Shadow is a bunch of humans that control another galaxy and Team Rocket is somehow aware of their existence and is scared (implying they know what they are capable of) then I have to say that it's going to take a bit of explaining to make it all work.

                      Ash being in his teens at the beginning of the arc is fine, but keep in mind any development from his 10 year old boy self that is relevant to how he acts now needs to be touched upon, as well as morphing him as this goes along.

                      Also I'll put this under spoilers for the leader,

                      Spoiler:
                      So basically he'll have force powers. Cause, that's going to require explaining unless you tie in aura abilities and/or psychic powers. Something to consider is that if you introduce new mechanics in the Pokémon universe they have to fit in with the continuity of the pre-existing universe.

                      If it's his mon doing this then I can believe that then.


                      Overall, be careful not to go out of bounds in the universe without explaining why you can in the first place. Otherwise, I'll the flag of "Continuity and impractical" will be thrown. Also, is this going to be a long running fic, just curious?
                      No, there Home Planet is Earth (the same planet that Ash Ketchum lives on) but their getting materials from the planets that they control in another Galaxy to help them conquer the Earth. Afterall, they have been planning this for a 1,000 years.

                      It's not easy for me to explain all this since I'm Autistic, so please, cut me some slack, okay?
                      Reply With Quote
                        #13    
                      Old January 22nd, 2018 (9:19 PM).
                      Vragon
                      Guest
                         
                        Posts: n/a
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by JBJB710 View Post
                        No, there Home Planet is Earth (the same planet that Ash Ketchum lives on) but their getting materials from the planets that they control in another Galaxy to help them conquer the Earth. Afterall, they have been planning this for a 1,000 years.

                        It's not easy for me to explain all this since I'm Autistic, so please, cut me some slack, okay?
                        My main and practically only point is, be sure to explain well. I can get you can't write everything here and I wouldn't want you to. I'm just giving suggestions on what you've given, but ultimately this is your work. However, again I would advise making sure continuity and stuff works, and that it makes sense.
                        Reply With Quote
                          #14    
                        Old January 23rd, 2018 (8:19 PM). Edited January 23rd, 2018 by JBJB710.
                        JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2009
                          Gender:
                          Posts: 73
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Vragon View Post
                          My main and practically only point is, be sure to explain well. I can get you can't write everything here and I wouldn't want you to. I'm just giving suggestions on what you've given, but ultimately this is your work. However, again I would advise making sure continuity and stuff works, and that it makes sense.
                          That's why I'm asking you all for help.

                          P.S. Check these out when you get the chance, okay?
                          Reply With Quote
                            #15    
                          Old January 24th, 2018 (9:37 PM). Edited January 25th, 2018 by JBJB710.
                          JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Feb 2009
                            Gender:
                            Posts: 73
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Vragon View Post
                            My main and practically only point is, be sure to explain well. I can get you can't write everything here and I wouldn't want you to. I'm just giving suggestions on what you've given, but ultimately this is your work. However, again I would advise making sure continuity and stuff works, and that it makes sense.
                            This Video will kind of explain how Team Shadow conquered the regions of Sinnoh, Alola, and Jurasia after all it's almost similar.
                            Reply With Quote
                              #16    
                            Old January 26th, 2018 (6:29 AM).
                            Vragon
                            Guest
                               
                              Posts: n/a
                              I'd rather read what you have to say about it or in your own words, personally.
                              Reply With Quote
                                #17    
                              Old February 4th, 2018 (5:56 PM).
                              JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Feb 2009
                                Gender:
                                Posts: 73
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Vragon View Post
                                I'd rather read what you have to say about it or in your own words, personally.
                                That won't be easy for me to do since I have Autism and School, but I'll see what I can do, okay

                                P.S. Just like how Palpatine turned Anakin Skywalker to The Dark Side and became Darth Vader in Star Wars, Team Shadow turns Dawn's Piplup to The Dark Side and became Piplux in Pokemon.
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #18    
                                Old February 4th, 2018 (10:26 PM).
                                Bay's Avatar
                                Bay Bay is offline
                                Darkinium Z
                                 
                                Join Date: May 2006
                                Location: Dani California
                                Gender: Female
                                Nature: Sassy
                                Posts: 5,386
                                I admit it's been a long while since I watched the Diamond and Pearl series of the anime, but I wonder what's the purpose of/why is Piplup coming to the dark side. I don't know, I don't see it.

                                To be honest, autism shouldn't hinder you from writing your story in your own words. It seems you have some ideas for your story and we've been giving you pointers/feedback on your plot and characterization, so now all you have to do is get writing that first chapter if you have an outline already!
                                __________________

                                "Meowth are all right. They don't care who you are or anything."
                                Foul Play [Chapter Four up!]
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #19    
                                Old February 5th, 2018 (12:06 AM).
                                Vragon
                                Guest
                                   
                                  Posts: n/a
                                  And even then writing isn't perfection.

                                  Usually your first draft won't be the prized paper of a story you envision (I speak from experience) That's when others can give you feedback, some reflection over your work, edits, thinking more about the direction and all and you could come up with a well written story. A lot of great stories weren't written in on sitting and while we don't expect the next "Bleak House" it's important to not be afraid to have faults in writing. (I honestly should take my own advice sometime).
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #20    
                                  Old February 5th, 2018 (9:48 PM).
                                  JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Feb 2009
                                    Gender:
                                    Posts: 73
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Bay Alexison View Post
                                    I admit it's been a long while since I watched the Diamond and Pearl series of the anime, but I wonder what's the purpose of/why is Piplup coming to the dark side. I don't know, I don't see it.

                                    To be honest, autism shouldn't hinder you from writing your story in your own words. It seems you have some ideas for your story and we've been giving you pointers/feedback on your plot and characterization, so now all you have to do is get writing that first chapter if you have an outline already!
                                    Well for starters, what most people don't realize is that Dawn's Piplup wasn't born in the Sinnoh Region, but the Jurassia Region, as a "Slave."
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #21    
                                    Old February 6th, 2018 (4:18 PM).
                                    JBJB710 JBJB710 is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Feb 2009
                                      Gender:
                                      Posts: 73
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Vragon View Post
                                      And even then writing isn't perfection.

                                      Usually your first draft won't be the prized paper of a story you envision (I speak from experience) That's when others can give you feedback, some reflection over your work, edits, thinking more about the direction and all and you could come up with a well written story. A lot of great stories weren't written in on sitting and while we don't expect the next "Bleak House" it's important to not be afraid to have faults in writing. (I honestly should take my own advice sometime).
                                      Noted, but I just have Trouble Describing something, due to my autism.
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #22    
                                      Old February 6th, 2018 (7:32 PM). Edited February 6th, 2018 by Bay.
                                      Bay's Avatar
                                      Bay Bay is offline
                                      Darkinium Z
                                       
                                      Join Date: May 2006
                                      Location: Dani California
                                      Gender: Female
                                      Nature: Sassy
                                      Posts: 5,386
                                      Once again, you shouldn't keep being afraid to write prose because of autism. As Vragon said, your first drafts won't be perfect and here we can give feedback on how to improve. Heck, with my own current fanfic I would do a few drafts but then after I post it I would still get comments on stuff like language and description that needs improving. And you'll get better with describing with practice.

                                      Now, get writing! =P
                                      __________________

                                      "Meowth are all right. They don't care who you are or anything."
                                      Foul Play [Chapter Four up!]
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #23    
                                      Old February 6th, 2018 (10:21 PM). Edited February 7th, 2018 by Vragon.
                                      Vragon
                                      Guest
                                         
                                        Posts: n/a
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by JBJB710 View Post
                                        Noted, but I just have Trouble Describing something, due to my autism.
                                        That's why practice makes while not perfect, make experience and improvement. Look, I don't want to sound like "that guy", but the more you let you autism affect how you think you can write the more of an obstacle it will be. If you have trouble describing things, then try looking over how other due it and formulate your own thing. I can understand the difficulties in putting stuff on paper, but something to start on is better than nothing. Try researching some helpful writing tips in description and overall, draw out your style.

                                        I can say that I also, have trouble speaking what I want to sometimes or writing it in a cringe worthy way. But there are peeps that you can ask for feedback, methods to the madness, and great stories to read in order to get a flow of style example.

                                        Ultimately we can all day on hindrances, but my main is "what do you think you should do about it?" Autism doesn't mean you can't write well, it just means you have to find your own way to write well.
                                        Reply With Quote
                                        Reply

                                        Quick Reply

                                        Join the conversation!

                                        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                        Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                        Thread Tools

                                        Posting Rules
                                        You may not post new threads
                                        You may not post replies
                                        You may not post attachments
                                        You may not edit your posts

                                        BB code is On
                                        Smilies are On
                                        [IMG] code is On
                                        HTML code is Off

                                        Forum Jump


                                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:07 PM.