• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

U.S. 2018 mid-term elections thread

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Why do people choose a side? It's so obvious democrat and republican was created to divide us and it works. Then people bitch and complain about how the "other party" does "this or that" cause they were taught to be closed minded by their leaders on their side of what's "right and wrong". Politics is one of the biggest scams and people fall for the propaganda and I don't understand it. Then again people are naive...

Last edited:
Years
Why do people choose a side? It's so obvious democrat and republican was created to divide us and it works. Then people bitch and complain about how the "other party" does "this or that" cause they were taught to be closed minded by their leaders on their side of what's "right and wrong". Politics is one of the biggest scams and people fall for the propaganda and I don't understand it. Then again people are naive...

Yes I'm sure it's all a manufactured conspiracy to keep the population divided... because all those disparate groups are clearly working together to make... everyone more difficult to manage and control?

There's multiple sides, because of naturally opposing ideologies. If you believe in some big inter-party conspiracy you're the only naive one here.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Yes I'm sure it's all a manufactured conspiracy to keep the population divided... because all those disparate groups are clearly working together to make... everyone more difficult to manage and control?

There's multiple sides, because of naturally opposing ideologies. If you believe in some big inter-party conspiracy you're the only naive one here.

Keep believing the propaganda.. There's no such thing as power to the people if they're divided by literally everything.. I know exactly what's going on and I don't need someone in Australia to tell me how Americas political system isn't corrupt. Only naive sheep follow media and news and chooses a side. If you can't see the media uses biases tactics to divide us through these ideologies then you obviously have wool covering your eyes or you know less than you thought about America. To even say one side is right over the other, is actually wrong. Is heads or tails wrong? Which is wrong, which is right? Do you even grasp how divided America is? Or are you oblivious to this as well?
It's a controlled system cause a non republican or democratic candidate will NEVER be elected.
As long as those in power hold the power to leech through manipulation and fear.. It will never change.
As long as everything is run and funded by greedy corporations things will never change.
You can have ideologies without choosing a political side ya know.. Oh wait... Most aren't that open minded, right? Or is it fear of being wrong that keeps people asleep?

Last edited:
Years
Keep believing the propaganda.. There's no such thing as power to the people if they're divided by literally everything.. I know exactly what's going on and I don't need someone in Australia to tell me how Americas political system isn't corrupt. Only naive sheep follow media and news and chooses a side. If you can't see the media uses biases tactics to divide us through these ideologies then you obviously have wool covering your eyes or you know less than you thought about America. To even say one side is right over the other, is actually wrong. Is heads or tails wrong? Which is wrong, which is right? Do you even grasp how divided America is? Or are you oblivious to this as well?

Did... did you actually read anything I said? You don't understand politics at all.

1. "You don't live in the US so you don't know anything" is a bad argument. We live in the information era and I'm well versed in politics/political theory. I probably know more than a lot of Americans.

2. I never said your political system isn't corrupt. Politics in the US is totally fucked and hugely corrupt because people with money hold way too much power over politicians. I've made this point over and over myself in discussions you have been a part of. I said that there's no some bi-partisan conspiracy to keep America divided.

3. There's also not a media conspiracy to create division. There's some shady media stuff going on but it has nothing to do with wanting a divided populace. It's about manipulating facts to get people to align themselves with a political cause. You make it out like all the big news outlets get together and divy up who's going to take the left, who's going to take the right. They don't want to keep everyone divided that want to convert people to their side and keep the people they already have.

4. There is no government in the world that wants a divided populace. Wars aren't fought for the sake of creating sides and elections aren't run for the sake of dividing the populace so all the politicians can chill together and rule like kings. A divided populace means debate, which means research, which means attention, which means work, which means lobbying and protests and it means the government is under a higher degree of scrutiny. A politically divided populace is a good thing usually. It only becomes a problem when it goes too far and people and it becomes more about beating the other guy that creating legitimate improvement.

Is America at that point? Hell yes. America has been at that point for literal decades. That's not because the dems or republicans wants things split. They don't want the scrutiny, they don't want the higher chance of losing power and they don't want the extra work. The campaigning, propaganda and media manipulation isn't to keep you divided, it's because both sides are desperately trying to unify people under their banner. The division happens because your politics is dominated by two parties with vastly different political ideologies who both want everyone together... on their side of the political compass.

It's a controlled system cause a non republican or democratic candidate will NEVER be elected.
As long as those in power hold the power to leech through manipulation and fear.. It will never change.
As long as everything is run and funded by greedy corporations things will never change.
You can have ideologies without choosing a political side ya know.. Oh wait... Most aren't that open minded, right? Or is it fear of being wrong that keeps people asleep?

Now this isn't even relevant to what we were discussing. What I was talking about was conspiracy, not corruption, and you're conflating the two. I am well aware of the numerous faults in the US political system. What I'm saying is that there is no conspiracy where the government is actively antagonising the American populace on purpose specifically for the sake of dividing you because that's ridiculous.

The stuff you mention there in that second quote, those are very real problems that have nothing to do with an imaginary conspiracy. It is absolutely true that your system is biased in favour of the democrats and republicans. Slightly more towards the republicans because the electoral college is stupid but that's just one of many flaws and the democrats sure as hell aren't immune to criticism since they're plenty of guilty of corporate ownership. It's totally true that corporations in the US hold too much power, in fact I'd argue that is the single biggest issue with American politics (thanks Reagan). Those are things I totally agree with. They're also totally irrelevant to what you and I are discussing but I'm leaving them in because they tie into the next part.

Firstly saying "I don't side with either the democrats or the republicans", you are inherently choosing a side. Whether you're a libertarian (you seem like one to me, even if you don't necessarily label yourself as such), whether you like the greens or if your views align with someone else or nobody else, you're taking a side. It is literally impossible to have a political ideology without taking a side. Even centrism is a side. If you support anarchy, even that is taking a side. Arguing for not taking a side with either of the major parties is an oxymoron because it is inherently creating a position that you side with.

Secondly, nothing ever changes? People like you who refuse to take sides and actively disengage with politics are a huge part of why nothing changes. If you want to see changes you need to put your voice to good use instead of using it to act high and mighty, sprouting conspiracy theories and imagining yourself as enlightened and better than the people actually fighting to make changes happen. The way the US is now it's going to take a hell of a lot of very loud voices screaming to get corporations out of the capital and a huge part of how you ended up there is because too many people were silent when a small number of voices was enough to matter.

You go on and on about how naive people are but every time you do it you're just showcasing how little you actually know about politics. Democracy only works because there's people taking sides and arguing different view points. That's what makes it fair. If everyone in the government is agreeing, then you have a single party system. Congrats, that's not democratic anymore. If every politician is in agreement and every media outlet is working to bring everyone together under the same banner, that's called fascism. You are advocating for fascism. You don't realise it, you're not doing it on purpose, you're not a nazi or a stalinesque communist or whatever, you're just totally misguided as to how democracy works. You don't want them all agreeing, that's a warning sign.

Your problem is that you view government - not your government, government itself - as inherently negative. You act as though the literal institution is a sentient, evil antagonistic force that exists for the sake of making life harder for everyone else. The government isn't out to get you, we have governments because we need them for society to function. Government is a very good thing. If you want to see what society would be like without it, watch a bunch of sharks in a feeding frenzy. You're misguided and overestimate your own understanding of things and you're mistaking that for enlightenment.

There's a lot of issues with the US government. I am in no way trying to say that there's not a lot of work to do. But there's no conspiracy against the people. There's rampant corruption, the institution is sick and it desperately needs healing. But you're not going to fix that by sitting there preaching fallacies and advocating that nobody makes an effort to fix it. You can fix what's wrong with the government or you can stop the discussion and erase the political divide. You can't have it both ways.

Edit: Sorry for typos, I haven't slept. Went back and fixed a couple of really bad ones just now but still missed a shitload I think.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Did... did you actually read anything I said? You don't understand politics at all.

Actually, yes I did read what you said...

1. "You don't live in the US so you don't know anything" is a bad argument. We live in the information era and I'm well versed in politics/political theory. I probably know more than a lot of Americans.

Cool. You're a millennial that has all the answers from the internet... Came from the internet so it must be true.... I could say I know more about your own country than you, but I don't.

2. I never said your political system isn't corrupt. Politics in the US is totally ****ed and hugely corrupt because people with money hold way too much power over politicians. I've made this point over and over myself in discussions you have been a part of. I said that there's no some bi-partisan conspiracy to keep America divided.

No conspiracy to keep America divided? Again.. You aware of how divided it is here? If so, how you think that came to be?

3. There's also not a media conspiracy to create division. There's some shady media stuff going on but it has nothing to do with wanting a divided populace. It's about manipulating facts to get people to align themselves with a political cause. You make it out like all the big news outlets get together and divy up who's going to take the left, who's going to take the right. They don't want to keep everyone divided that want to convert people to their side and keep the people they already have.

You actually believe this bullshit? It's obvious you can't see past how biased they are and how they twist everything to their liking and beliefs to gain followers and make the other team look bad, or like the enemy. These people are called, SHEEP.

4. There is no government in the world that wants a divided populace. Wars aren't fought for the sake of creating sides and elections aren't run for the sake of dividing the populace so all the politicians can chill together and rule like kings. A divided populace means debate, which means research, which means attention, which means work, which means lobbying and protests and it means the government is under a higher degree of scrutiny. A politically divided populace is a good thing usually. It only becomes a problem when it goes too far and people and it becomes more about beating the other guy that creating legitimate improvement.

Lies.. When they gonna stop man, seriously..
Politicians are just puppets.. A REAL politician will never get elected cause there's an agenda. Everyone has an agenda. You have an agenda, I have an agenda, my dog has an agenda... You think some wealthy people that's funded by corporations that leech the people don't have an agenda? Why you think lots of these politicians are so "wealthy"? You think they actually give a fuck about you?

Is America at that point? Hell yes. America has been at that point for literal decades. That's not because the dems or republicans wants things split. They don't want the scrutiny, they don't want the higher chance of losing power and they don't want the extra work. The campaigning, propaganda and media manipulation isn't to keep you divided, it's because both sides are desperately trying to unify people under their banner. The division happens because your politics is dominated by two parties with vastly different political ideologies who both want everyone together... on their side of the political compass.

I'll tell you exactly why it's to keep us divided... If people are divided, they're easier to convince and control. Btw, politicians that has the most funds through their campaign basically wins... this is a problem.. But it's all about money when it comes to a lot of things.

Now this isn't even relevant to what we were discussing. What I was talking about was conspiracy, not corruption, and you're conflating the two. I am well aware of the numerous faults in the US political system. What I'm saying is that there is no conspiracy where the government is actively antagonising the American populace on purpose specifically for the sake of dividing you because that's ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous if you think about it... They're professional liars... In the end, they make money by lying and forcing us to fuel this corrupt system. People simply argue and get violent over one voting left and right. People are that self absorbed and closed minded cause they fell for the media tactics. As someone who studied the media, from all views.. I concluded it's sugar coated so they control the kool aid.

The stuff you mention there in that second quote, those are very real problems that have nothing to do with an imaginary conspiracy. It is absolutely true that your system is biased in favour of the democrats and republicans. Slightly more towards the republicans because the electoral college is stupid but that's just one of many flaws and the democrats sure as hell aren't immune to criticism since they're plenty of guilty of corporate ownership. It's totally true that corporations in the US hold too much power, in fact I'd argue that is the single biggest issue with American politics (thanks Reagan). Those are things I totally agree with. They're also totally irrelevant to what you and I are discussing but I'm leaving them in because they tie into the next part.

A politician doesn't have the power to do anything about it, just like the people. Politicians don't REPRESENT THE PEOPLE. If they did, we wouldn't be in this mess. If these politicians actually gave a fuck about us, I might change my mind. Until then.. I'm gonna see them as parasites.

Firstly saying "I don't side with either the democrats or the republicans", you are inherently choosing a side. Whether you're a libertarian (you seem like one to me, even if you don't necessarily label yourself as such), whether you like the greens or if your views align with someone else or nobody else, you're taking a side. It is literally impossible to have a political ideology without taking a side. Even centrism is a side. If you support anarchy, even that is taking a side. Arguing for not taking a side with either of the major parties is an oxymoron because it is inherently creating a position that you side with.

It's easier to believe lies spread by parties tho.. I think for myself.

Secondly, nothing ever changes? People like you who refuse to take sides and actively disengage with politics are a huge part of why nothing changes. If you want to see changes you need to put your voice to good use instead of using it to act high and mighty, sprouting conspiracy theories and imagining yourself as enlightened and better than the people actually fighting to make changes happen. The way the US is now it's going to take a hell of a lot of very loud voices screaming to get corporations out of the capital and a huge part of how you ended up there is because too many people were silent when a small number of voices was enough to matter.

Nothings gonna change cause we keep putting these parasites in office.. Every president gets worse and fucks more things up. Just like people keep the same politicians in congress and house for YEARS and wonder why nothings changing.
It's like people continuing to vote democrat in Michigan when most their water is filled with lead and Detroit and Flint are practically third world value in America...

You go on and on about how naive people are but every time you do it you're just showcasing how little you actually know about politics. Democracy only works because there's people taking sides and arguing different view points. That's what makes it fair. If everyone in the government is agreeing, then you have a single party system. Congrats, that's not democratic anymore. If every politician is in agreement and every media outlet is working to bring everyone together under the same banner, that's called fascism. You are advocating for fascism. You don't realise it, you're not doing it on purpose, you're not a nazi or a stalinesque communist or whatever, you're just totally misguided as to how democracy works. You don't want them all agreeing, that's a warning sign.

Got it.. So you're completely cool with media twisting stories to their bias.. Tell me how these people aren't "professional liars"?

Your problem is that you view government - not your government, government itself - as inherently negative. You act as though the literal institution is a sentient, evil antagonistic force that exists for the sake of making life harder for everyone else. The government isn't out to get you, we have governments because we need them for society to function. Government is a very good thing. If you want to see what society would be like without it, watch a bunch of sharks in a feeding frenzy. You're misguided and overestimate your own understanding of things and you're mistaking that for enlightenment.

Only those that abuse the system and are privileged are fine with it.. Those that abuse the system know they're government will take care of them with the cost of the tax payers money.. A person that's born into money has money.. Problems become irrelevant when money gets involved... Why are we forced to pay taxes and not choose where we'd like to have them go to? Why are we forced to live our daily lives as a struggle if we don't get assistance? You think people can actually live off minimum wage? You think the government cares about minorities? Oh wait, they lock them up or leave them in poverty.. Forgot..

This GOVERNMENT created laws to CONTROL.. As I said about the taxation thing.. I wouldn't say it's theft if I was able to put my taxes where I want them... Say I want them to go towards helping those that need it.. I don't have that freedom and right.. Yet it's my fucking money... What if I don't believe in funding wars? You think these tax payers like having their money going to war and military intelligence when people are literally killing one another for food? Those people in power are simply psychopaths.

There's a lot of issues with the US government. I am in no way trying to say that there's not a lot of work to do. But there's no conspiracy against the people. There's rampant corruption, the institution is sick and it desperately needs healing. But you're not going to fix that by sitting there preaching fallacies and advocating that nobody makes an effort to fix it. You can fix what's wrong with the government or you can stop the discussion and erase the political divide. You can't have it both ways.

There's nothing we can do about it tho, unless we unite. We don't even have to agree on everything.. Just agree to disagree. Respect and accept and move on. That's life man.
I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but we're only human. You can't expect us to agree on everything. There's no reason to divide ourselves tho. I don't have a problem debating with you. Cause you back your statements up, unlike most. You require me to think. I enjoy debating with you, as much as I dislike your viewpoints. I respect your opinion at the same time.
This isn't what America does tho. They put a barrier up and deflect anything outside their belief system, but don't back that claim up. Not all.. But it's that divided.
The media plays a role more than you think.

Last edited:
Years

Honestly I have nothing more to say to you at this point. That post was full of total misunderstandings of my points (or just outright ignoring them) and a healthy dose of outright falsities. You need to actually learn about politics and political theory before talking like you know everything. You've just decided for yourself that you're right and you know everything and... well the reality is the polar opposite.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Honestly I have nothing more to say to you at this point. That post was full of total misunderstandings of my points (or just outright ignoring them) and a healthy dose of outright falsities. You need to actually learn about politics and political theory before talking like you know everything. You've just decided for yourself that you're right and you know everything and... well the reality is the polar opposite.

Resorting to closed minded tactics.. How hypocritical..

Politics is just a corrupt system... The original idea, isn't what politics is now and I'm not gonna go into detail.. It's been twisted and corrupted throughout history. You ignore how politics creates a black and white debate.. Then again.. People just need something to believe in.. This party holds this ideology and thinks this is how things should work. When in the end, all they do is bicker back and forth at eachother.. No wonder the people are so divided..

Also, before you say I should learn political theory... You need to learn no political system truly works.. They're all flawed... History even proved this... The people either adapt, or reset.. It's how it works. To say politics doesn't divide... It does the opposite..
Why should two political sides have the privilege of getting elected since election became a thing? Care to explain why we've never had a non left or right politician? Cause we got wealthy people funding them with similar ideologies..
Politics is just wealthy elites with different mindsets and operations of how they want to run things. I mean... They both spend money we don't have, while they continue to ignore the issues at hand. People don't get what they need.. Unless you know, they spend money. I could bring up so many things we're FORCED to do and tell you why it's morally wrong for them to do so to us. These people are fucking evil dude.

Last edited:

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
Politicians are just puppets.
Indeed, global elite bankers own them. Always remember that the one who controls the money, makes the rules.

This pic describes very well the politics in U.S.
cwugTQi.jpg

Years

For someone who claims to have read the entirety of my post (not to mention who acts like they're the smartest guy in the world) you're still totally missing the point of everything I said. I'm going to try one more time to break this down for you.

1. I am not disputing the fact that there is a lot of corruption in US politics. Please show me where I denied corruption.

2. I have never said politics doesn't divide. Never. What I said was that the goal of politics isn't to divide. Neither major party wants a divided populace because a divided populace means there's going to be discussion and debate and those things lead to scrutiny and a risk of losing power. The divide, the one I have never said doesn't exist, occurs because both sides are trying to unify as many people as they can under their banner and not the banner of the opposition. When you have two (or more) sides both trying to collect everyone under their banner, you get a divide. It's not because politicians are actively seeking to create conflict, that makes their jobs harder.

3. A divide is good. A divide, as I just said, means discussion and debate. Discussion and debate and opposition means there is scrutiny. Scrutiny is good. You think your government is corrupt now (it is), without a divide there is no scrutiny and that means even more corruption. No political divide means a single party state. No divide = fascism. You need a divide for democracy to function and democracy naturally creates a divide.

4. Yes, the divide has widened too far in the US because you have reached a point where it's all about beating the other side instead of trying to do the best possible for the country. This doesn't change the fact a divide needs to exist.

5. What it actually means is that people need to get their fingers out of their asses and start voting for the people who'll make the right decisions, or at least decisions that aren't the absolute worst, because that's the only way you're going to get corrupt, obstructionist shitheads out of power. To weed out the bad people you need proper political discourse. Which both creates and necessitates a divide.

6. Not participating in that discussion and pretending a political divide is bad is exactly how you end up with corrupt politicians pandering to corporate interests remaining in power. The odds are skewed in the favour of the rich but the rich are a minority. They rely on snagging the votes of the easily manipulated and arrogant people like you who refuse to get involved because they think it's beneath them not fighting back. If more people actually educated themselves and if more people actually got involved in political discussion and actually put their votes and their voice to good use, the wealthy and the corrupt would gradually lose power.

7. There's a lot of perfectly valid information on the internet and by checking multiple sources it's not that difficult to weed out the outright bullshit. Calling me out for making good use of the best source of information to ever exist is not only just plain wrong but is good evidence you aren't as well informed as you think you are. Also... did you seriously just use "millennial" as an insult? Do you know when you were born?

8. I never claimed that any political system is perfect. You keep putting words in my mouth because you don't understand what I'm saying. It's not covering up for your failings it is only extenuating them. democracy has flaws, but it's the best system we have by miles, and you know what, to work properly it needs a divide. Yes it has flaws but it's a system designed to be repairable. You know how you fix the problems? You have to actively work to do so instead of sitting around doing nothing and being conceited about it. No, you'll never fix every problem. That's never going to happen, but you can sure as hell fix some of them.

9. I never once said that there are no bad politicians. There's plenty of greedy, spineless, manipulative assholes using their position to held them and their own at the expense of the majority. But it's absolutely ludicrous to assume that the government as an institution is inherently evil or that all politicians participating in the system are corrupt and "evil". That kind of mentality is childish and preposterous.

10. You actually have had several centrist presidents but they always get labelled as being "too left" or "too right" by the opposition because literally nobody sits dead centre on the political spectrum. So yes, you need to actually research politics. I don't disagree that the major parties have too much power compared to smaller ones but that's an entirely different issue and one I have literally never disputed. That's just you, again, putting words in my mouth because you have no idea what I'm talking about.

You could bring up plenty of things as you say, I'm sure. The problem is that much like everything else you've said in this discussion they'll either not disprove my points at all or just be totally wrong or otherwise they'll just be totally irrelevant to the discussion we're having.

I repeat, you desperately need to educate yourself politically.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
There's a big difference between a losing battle and a battle the other guy refuses to acknowledge he's lost.

You're the one lost.. Wouldn't believe if the evidence was right in your face.. It's so obvious how politics works yet you're blind as a bat.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
yes. because your party sets out to destroy lives and if left unchecked you nearly always resort to some kind of societal cleansing of the poor.
EDIT: apparently there's some funky stuff going on in the forum and it's possible I may have already responded to this a long time ago or something? IDK. This post was pretty stream of consciousness honestly.

I don't have a party. The closest thing I have to a party is the Libertarian Party, but I disagree with them on a number of issues as

It sounds like you're just hurling insults because you're upset about the Republicans, which doesn't really have any place in any kind of debate forum. It would be incredibly easy for me to just turn that on its head, because I know for a fact there are people on the left who would love to resort to some kind of societal cleansing of some combination of the white, male, or rich, but that would be an unfair generalization of the same sort you're making; most people aren't extremists and it's not fair to act like they are. Most people, of any political persuasion, want to make the world a better place, even if they have different views on what that might look like. Their political and philosophical beliefs generally come from a desire to do good. The purpose of a debate, then, isn't to make snarky remarks about people you don't like, it's for people to understand the problem better and to understand each other better.

Any kind of policy decision that requires force to enforce is going to hurt someone in some way. You support the policies you do because of who you empathize with and who you don't empathize with. Let's take abortion as an example. Pro-lifers empathize with unborn children who they see as innocents being killed and don't empathize with mothers who they see as having gotten themselves into a bad situation of their own volition. Pro-choicers empathize with mothers who they see as stuck in a bad, potentially life-ruining situation as a result of a mistake in judgment and don't empathize with unborn children who they see as not fully human yet. People support one side or the other because of who they care about more. The truth of the matter is that all of these perceptions are true: unborn children are innocent, they are being killed, but they also still lack most of the important distinguishing qualities of humanity. The mothers who are looking to abort are often just people who made a bad decision at some point in their life and it does seem really unfair that they should have to suffer with it the rest of their lives, but that's also the harsh reality of life: a two-second lapse in judgment can last with you the rest of your life and part of being an adult is living with the consequences.

Neither position is any more or less "correct" than the other, both are the logical conclusion of a fundamental difference of opinion. The reality of it is that we all have thousands of these disagreements and that many of these cannot be reconciled. What we can gain, through debate, is an understanding of why people feel the way they do and this can sometimes lead to compromises or solutions that satisfy both parties. Even when that fails, at the very least, it gives each side an understanding of the very human and very morally reasonable values that went into the position. Pro-choice people aren't cackling baby-murderers, they're people who care about the welfare of people in bad situations and want to see a better life for them. Pro-life people aren't unforgiving bastards, they're people who think that a child shouldn't have to die because the mother made a bad decision.

This understanding serves several purposes. First, it brings to light potential compromises that can be made: what about situations where the mother isn't responsible? What about situations where the child is likely to die before or shortly after birth or where carrying the pregnancy to term could endanger the life of the mother? Further, this understanding should serve to humanize both sides: both positions are a result of people trying to speak out for some group of people they see as being severely wronged; both positions are a result of people trying to do good and make the world a better place. And yet, these positions are largely irreconcilable. It is entirely possible for two morally upright people to come to two completely logical and yet contrasting conclusions about the same problem. Disagreements don't always arise because one side is good and one side is evil or because one side is smart and the other side is dumb.

What I'm getting at with all this is that the sense I'm getting from you is that you see Republicans as evil cackling villains who spite the poor while twirling their mustaches and smoking cigars lit with burning hundred dollar bills. This view is extremely dehumanizing, it leads to the false assumption that Republicans are generally acting in bad faith, and it brings us further from an understanding of the truth, of places of potential compromise, and drives a wedge between people who should be working together to try and make the world better. I think it's worth pointing out that a very large part of the Republican base is itself impoverished and that a large part of the leadership of both parties is very, very rich. Now as to whether the policies espoused by each party are better or worse for the poor, those are things that can be argued on an individual basis; I have my own opinions and I'd be happy to share them separately if you actually want to discuss it. But I don't think comments like the ones you made are helpful in any manner and really only serve to drive people apart and foster ignorance.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
What I'm getting at with all this is that the sense I'm getting from you is that you see Republicans as evil cackling villains who spite the poor while twirling their mustaches and smoking cigars lit with burning hundred dollar bills. This view is extremely dehumanizing, it leads to the false assumption that Republicans are generally acting in bad faith

This is because the Reoublicans are exactly that. The democrats aren't much better, but at least they keep their fisting of the poor to an overseas level for the most part.

People who would rather give the rich another tax break over helping sick children are subhuman and have dehumanised themselves. There is no counter argument to this.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I wouldn't go quite as far as Hands, but in general, it's really hard to see at least the most outspoken elected Republican officials as anything but evil. The Republican belief system has done some truly horrible things and it perpetuates intense discrimination again marginalized people on a daily basis. Certainly, there are Republicans that aren't like this. I have right-wing friends that don't discriminate against marginalized people. But they're in very small numbers. On the whole, the Republican belief system is one of punching down, of playing dirty tricks and being wildly innacurate, and then accusing their enemies of doing the exact same things and saying that they're wrong for it. It's hard for many people, especially minorities, to sympathize with that perspective and with the people who hold it. Democrats aren't free of blame and we will usually be the first to point out issues within our own party (not the elected officials, mind you), but it's hardly a comparison. If I need to at least guarantee that no one is going strip me of my human rights, I would vote Democrat simply because they have no intention of getting rid of those, which is something I can't expect from the Republican party.

Years
This is because the Reoublicans are exactly that. The democrats aren't much better, but at least they keep their fisting of the poor to an overseas level for the most part.

People who would rather give the rich another tax break over helping sick children are subhuman and have dehumanised themselves. There is no counter argument to this.

It is a little more complex than that, Republicans by and large contribute to charity more, and engage in volunteerism more, while Democrats are seen embracing collective action through the Government more. Each has it's own pros and cons, such as charities being corrupt and not spending money right, or the Government engaging in waste and being corrupt in how it spends the money. However I wouldn't say that makes Republicans as a whole are "fisting the poor" because they support the poor in a different way.

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
It is a little more complex than that, Republicans by and large contribute to charity more, and engage in volunteerism more, while Democrats are seen embracing collective action through the Government more. Each has it's own pros and cons, such as charities being corrupt and not spending money right, or the Government engaging in waste and being corrupt in how it spends the money. However I wouldn't say that makes Republicans as a whole are "fisting the poor" because they support the poor in a different way.

Those are completely valid points, and I'm not saying that Democrats are doing great work because l-o-fucking-l, but Republicans - this year especially - are... pretty much "fisting the poor" with their rejection of many proposed solutions to poverty issues and their strange fascination on basically gutting Medicare/caid and other economic safety nets.

Last edited:
Years
Those are completely valid points, and I'm not saying that Democrats are doing great work because l-o-psyducking-l, but Republicans - this year especially - are... pretty much "fisting the poor" with their rejection of many proposed solutions to poverty issues and their strange fascination on basically gutting Medicare/caid and other economic safety nets.

I do agree that economic safety nets need to be in place, however I think there is room for change and improvement with Medicare. Specifically the reimbursement of doctors, and wait periods doctors have to go through to get their money. One of the main and valid criticisms of Medicare for all, is that it will cause many doctors to not accept Medicare at all and lead to a system of many doctors only accepting out of pocket payments, because of how poorly the government runs the system currently.

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20180130/NEWS/180139995

Last edited:
Back