• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [GENERAL THREAD] Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver Hacking

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
The general Pokémon Heart Gold & Soul Silver hacking thread..
Share your findings about the game with the community right here!

All findings will be 'indexed' in the next post.
MEH.. I can't double post (auto-merge), so I guess I'll index everything in the first post.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Personal findings:
- Totally different file structure, which sucks! It's using unnamed folders/files..
- The pokegra.narc in the pbr folder uses the D/P encryption
- Actual Pokémon Sprites (The NEW ones) are stored in a/0/0/4; 4 being a NARC archive and it uses the Platinum encryption.
- Other Pokémon Sprites: a/1/1/4; 4 being a NARC archive and it uses the Platinum encryption.
- Item Sprites: a/0/1/8 (Works with PokeDSPicPLATItemIcons)
- Attack Animations: Sprites: a/0/2/2 | Palettes: a/0/2/3 | Something: a/0/2/4 | AnimationData: a/0/2/5
- Intro sprites: a/1/2/0
- Area Images: a/1/5/0
- Pokémon Menu Icons: a/2/2/8
- Intro'movie': a/2/6/2

Findings:
- PokéTEX list: Click

Last edited:

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
I dont think we will be able to hack it for a while we havent even been able to hack dp that well yet
What the hell are you talking about? =/
As far as I know the only important thing we can't do in the other DS games is mapping..
It'll be the same for HG/SS.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
You've got all the sprites?! I'd love to see them, that is a step forward at least, being able to hack out all the sprites in a matter of hours! Very well done, D-Trogh!

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
You've got all the sprites?! I'd love to see them, that is a step forward at least, being able to hack out all the sprites in a matter of hours! Very well done, D-Trogh!
Erm, well.. I can dump them all if you want, but I think HackMew is doing that right now.
And well, I just had to find the right NARC, no big deal.

Lame: Version logos ripped from the ROM
fem6mh.jpg
2uhbl90.jpg

EDIT:
15gzh8p.jpg

I'm not going to add every archive that contains images in the first post XD
At least; not right now..!

Years
Erm, well.. I can dump them all if you want, but I think HackMew is doing that right now.
And well, I just had to find the right NARC, no big deal.

Lame: Version logos ripped from the ROM
fem6mh.jpg
2uhbl90.jpg

EDIT:
15gzh8p.jpg

I'm not going to add every archive that contains images in the first post XD
At least; not right now..!

Is it possible to save 'em as .PNG? Or does it not work like that when ripping?

mindfreak

Belgium Rom hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2012
Hey guys I made a list of the Overworlds so you can edit them in poketex.
(You can also edit the pokemon overworlds)
Spoiler:

I hope this was helpful.

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
Hey guys I made a list of the Overworlds so you can edit them in poketex.
(You can also edit the pokemon overworlds)

I hope this was helpful.
I added a link to your post in the first post.
For people who want to know where the NARC file is located: a/0/8/1

Cryomancer

blocks your path.
Years
What tools are you guys using right now anyway? All the narc stuff I've tried have failed on these files, are you just loading them up in a tile viewer/hex editor?

/me awaits trainer sprites

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
What the hell are you talking about? =/
As far as I know the only important thing we can't do in the other DS games is mapping..
It'll be the same for HG/SS.
mapping and scripting are the most inportant part in a hack if the maps loks the same who whould want to play the hack same with the scripts

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
mapping and scripting are the most inportant part in a hack if the maps loks the same who whould want to play the hack same with the scripts

Actually, scripting is. you can have the same region, but make it SO new, that it doesn't really matter. So, even if a Map Editor doesn't get developed, as long as scripts are changed, it is a new game.

Anyway, I would contriute, but I think I'll wait for the US release, as... Well, I prefer it to the Japanese, as more people may use it, and there could be different offsets for the stuff.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Oh wow, you guys are already cracking down hard on this. Awesome!

I think I might try and rip some of the graphics from this in a little bit. What I've seen playing through so far is jaw-dropping.
The GUI is so smooth and even the tiny little footsteps on the floor made me chuckle a little.

Can't wait to see those sprites.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Apparently you get to double battle with lance. A guy named Veekun has extracted the trainers from HG/SS and there is a backsprite for Lance. :)

Lt. Serge also looks like Krauser from Resident Evil if he took his sun glasses off ROFL.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm allowed to link to his extract.
Has anybody else extracted them yet? :<

Last edited:

Cryomancer

blocks your path.
Years
If someone does, please post your methods. His sheet is incomplete at least, seems like it's random frames of animations picked out instead of all of them, etc. Some of them don't even look like real ones to me, but I could say the same about some D/P sprites so...

Cello

Tonight!
Years
The only sprite that looks a bit iffy to me is the chick+butler (can't remember their names) from the battle frontier in platinum.
I'm assuming it's safe to link to his trainer sheet since it's not another forum and every other site I found through google is linking to it.
http://stuff.veekun.com/hgss-trainers.png
Extraction and public sharing to like 50 other sites found through google courtesy of Veekun.

EDIT: A new thread with sprite extractions was posted, better if I just linked to that. xD
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=194262

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2016
I found the script file!!
Is relocated into A/0/1/2

And event 0/3/2

And map 0/6/5

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2010
Only mod I'm waiting for right now before the English version is just a Item/Pokemon/Attacks translation, if such a thing is possible with a DS rom.

Back