• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Opinions

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
How exactly were Team Rocket appealing when they were competent? They were soulless puppets with no personality back when they were competent for like the first 25 episodes of BW since they literally just followed Dr. Zager and Pierce's orders and had no minds of their own, which was frankly boring and trite.

Lemme ask you this then. Why were they appealing when they'd keep getting blasted off? It appeals to me because it was
A) something different from them
B) they actually were doing things and it started to make me curious about what they were building up to

Not to mention simply following orders doesn't mean they're less interesting. They still have their own plans bu they're far less out there. They still confronted ash, but they were far less gum on his shoe and more doing stuff real operatives of an organization would do.

Like, if that didn't appeal to you that's more or less something that wouldn't resonate with you or others that didn't like it. I find it appealing because it finally gives them a purpose outside of just chasing ash only to fail. It's a break from the same old thing for them and actually giving their characters weight.

Not to mention they didn't always simply take orders. They also set up things that even Giovanni came to get the benefits from and they even had some clashings with Team Plasma. Heck, if the event didn't happen and the writers didn't need to re-write so much we could have gotten an episode literally titled "Team Plamsa versus Team Rocket".

Also, the entire point of this thread is for unpopular opinions so I think Team Rocket being competent is a good thing fits right in.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
While I missed seeing Team Rocket have their own story lines and have connections with their Pokemon, the Team Rocket in Best Wishes allowed for more diverse filler episodes, in my opinion.. Rather than the typical 'Team Rocket tries to steal Pokemon of the Week and/or Pikachu' that gets shoehorned in every few episodes instead we got more stories with the Charcter of the Day, more Pokemon interactions, and just more of things that were allowed because we didn't have the typical Team Rocket filler plot.

Just my two cents and why I personally liked how Team Rocket was back in Best Wishes. To be honest if we could have something more like that but with Team Rocket still getting interactions and personal time with their Pokemon and their own storylines then honestly I wouldn't be able to ask for a better Team Rocket.

Last edited:

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Lemme ask you this then. Why were they appealing when they'd keep getting blasted off?

Well to start with, I didn't necessarily say that they were more appealing to me when they acted goofy and got tossed around like punching bags; I was just curious about why them being competent for such a short period of time in Unova appeals to some people since it came at the cost of them losing their personalities for the most part. Also, and I should have probably said this before, but since nothing that they did during early BW paid off given the banned Team Plasma vs Team Rocket episodes, I guess it felt super meaningless to me that they acted serious without anything major coming out of it.

Not to mention simply following orders doesn't mean they're less interesting. They still have their own plans bu they're far less out there. They still confronted ash, but they were far less gum on his shoe and more doing stuff real operatives of an organization would do.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess, but I didn't think that them following orders closely made for entertaining television. To me, Team Rocket excels at thinking outside the box and coming up with their own ridiculous mechas and elaborate plans to steal Pikachu. It doesn't matter to me that they fail so much as long as they bring the laughs.

They also set up things that even Giovanni came to get the benefits from and they even had some clashings with Team Plasma. Heck, if the event didn't happen and the writers didn't need to re-write so much we could have gotten an episode literally titled "Team Plamsa versus Team Rocket".

To be fair, I was talking specifically about when the Rocket trio acted serious in early BW when they wore their dark uniforms. So the things that they did to help prepare for Giovanni's arrival in Unova later in the saga (when they had already reverted back to their old white uniforms and were acting more like their goofy selves again) isn't something that I had a problem with.

Also, the entire point of this thread is for unpopular opinions so I think Team Rocket being competent is a good thing fits right in.

I'm pretty sure that we're allowed to disagree with other peoples' assessments, though. This topic wouldn't gain much traction if everyone agreed about everything. Besides, I only criticized your Team Rocket comment; I didn't have anything bad to say about your other points.

Last edited:

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
Well to start with, I didn't necessarily say that they were more appealing to me when they acted goofy and got tossed around like punching bags; I was just curious about why them being competent for such a short period of time in Unova appeals to some people since it came at the cost of them losing their personalities for the most part. Also, and I should have probably said this before, but since nothing that they did during early BW paid off given the banned Team Plasma vs Team Rocket episodes, I guess it felt super meaningless to me that they acted serious without anything major coming out of it.
I never said you did. I asked a question about why they were more appealing with the point of saying how appealing is subjective when it comes to the method to their madness. As you later say, you enjoyed their rather out there plans like I said I didn't. It comes off as saying "But I liked it".

Also, I could argue that while the stuff they did didn't pay off, I couldn't lace the blame on their actions/demeanor in that area. I could easily make sense that it was being held for research and the project eventually dropped by the headquarters which would make sense. It takes away from the build-up yes, but it doesn't negate they still were engaging nor does it negate they still have plenty of engagement potential.

My biggest issue with the nonsense Rocket is they aren't engaging to me. I like their personalities and all that, but having a break from the nonsense for them to try and actually get good with the boss in a way that would make sense helps for me especially with how successful they were throughout the series.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess, but I didn't think that them following orders closely made for entertaining television. To me, Team Rocket excels at thinking outside the box and coming up with their own ridiculous mechas and elaborate plans to steal Pikachu. It doesn't matter to me that they fail so much as long as they bring the laughs.
So that just means you enjoyed the comedy they brought which I can agree upon. I said I liked the more competent ones since they brought something new and had something building up. Also, the elaborate plans for God knows how long could get old so a different thing could work for making something engaging. Not everything new works, but I feel this one did since they weren't so tied to ash's character and had other things on their agenda.

To be fair, I was talking specifically about when the Rocket trio acted serious in early BW when they wore their dark uniforms. So the things that they did to help prepare for Giovanni's arrival in Unova later in the saga (when they had already reverted back to their old white uniforms and were acting more like their goofy selves again) isn't something that I had a problem with.
The dark uniforms aren't tied to them acting seriously. I will say that the later ones lost a bit of that moxie they had but they still were more competent than any other season especially when dealing with Team Plasma. If you didn't have a problem with the latter one that makes me wonder why they get a pass compared to earlier when both were serious just one was more following orders than being more freelancing for the job, though that's probably why.

I'm pretty sure that we're allowed to disagree with other peoples' assessments, though. This topic wouldn't gain much traction if everyone agreed about everything. Besides, I only criticized your Team Rocket comment; I didn't have anything bad to say about your other points.
When in that comment did I ever say you weren't allowed to disagree with my assessment? I said it's an unpopular "opinion" that would be a fit for this, not that it's reasoning cannot be challenged. Me just saying that it has a reason being here doesn't negate that nor does it imply no one can challenge it. I don't get why you came to that conclusion and am a little annoyed that you seemed to remind me with "everyone can challenge a subjective thought" something I wouldn't mind doing.

Also, I can disagree with your assessment of my post. If you wanna discuss it, we can, but me replying with counters to it shouldn't imply that I'm shutting down your opposing view.

Though again, it could have been by the way I worded that and I will say that if it came off as shutting you down that was never its intention.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
You may disagree but I made a point in the beginning of the thread to limit it so we can speak our minds without being disagreed on and such like we are mostly everywhere else. I'm sure you know as much as everyone else does that speaking about your unpopular opinion gets exhausting because mostly everyone will disagree wherever you post.

So I'd like to try to consider this more of a safe zone from that. And with that said you guys are welcome to discuss this elsewhere like Vragon said but I'd like to recommend maybe starting a Team Rocket topic and discuss it there. :)

User Anon 1848

Not sure how unpopular this is but I thought that the Mewtwo vs Genesect movie was pretty damn good. I know that most of the modern movies get crapped on by longtime fans and usually I agree with them.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2023
I loved when 4Kids dubbed Pokemon. Yeah they got a few things wromg and made too many puns, but that is what made it cool...

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
Don't know how unpopular this is, but
The 13th movie (Zoroark master of illusions) is my absolute favorite Pokemon movie.
The action, the heart, the setting, the villain. I love it all.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2023
If they wanted to, they could have wrapped up and ended Ash's journey in Johto and started Hoenn with a new main character . .

Mayy

The Princess of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 22, 2021
I like May and Lillie the most and I think that they both are the some of the best written characters of the series

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
I just realized that I wouldn't have a big problem if Ash had been replaced by that new kid who also appears in the Pocket Monsters series poster. At this point I think Ash's journey may as well end since he's won a major league and has very little else to do now that he's an official champion.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
The animation in Pokemon Sun and Moon wasn't bad it was amazing.

In actuality, it's the most technically impressive show in the series.

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
Here it is.

I like Ash.

I like that he's always written just differently enough in each series to fit into the different story lines.

I also think it's neat that sometimes he seems to be a little older, or a little younger in order to change the feel of the various seasons, despite them always keeping him around.

Origins and others that deviate away from Ash are cool, I loved Origins, but I have no problems with the main series not ditching him.

Last edited:

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
Years
Johto is the most wonderful region and series you could dream about pokemon.

Serena isn't the best girl. Every pokegirl is outclassed by Misty.

Jessie should have been the one winning Sinnoh's grand festival instead of Zoey because Zoey is dumb. Dawn making it to the finals while May is struggling despite her experience is dumb as well.

Charizard is an annoying character.

I ship May X Harley

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
SM's goodbye episode was absolutely atrocious aside from Team Rocket's goodbye and Ash saying goodbye to Kukui and Burnet.

Back