• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Does anyone know the offset of the script that executes once you lose a battle and go to a Pokémon Centre? As in, where the healing animation takes place, Nurse Joy tells me they hope I excel etc. Not the text, the actual script itself.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Does anyone know the offset of the script that executes once you lose a battle and go to a Pokémon Centre? As in, where the healing animation takes place, Nurse Joy tells me they hope I excel etc. Not the text, the actual script itself.

Here colcolstyles gives both that offset, the home offset and some other bits and bobs. :)

Code:
0x1A654B : executed after battle fades, before "scurried home/to PC" text

0x16a2cb : viridian city 'sethealingplace' script (type 3)
0x1bc05c : 'special 0x182' script (type 5)

0x1A8DD8 : home script (mother heals your team)
0x1a8d97 : PokeCenter Script (Nurse Joy heals your team)

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2014
I have another simple question.

Do Steven's back sprites share the same palettes as his front sprite?

Also, will changing his name change his name in the double battle.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Oct 7, 2014
Is it possible to have a map change as an event? Tide pools

So it's been a VERY long time since I've played with hacking roms and to be honest the GBA games are somewhat alien to me but I'm getting it it.

My question is this. I'm playing around with a hack of emerald and it's a island chain. I thought it would be fun to have the map change... Sometimes it's tide pools on land and other times you need to surf. Does anyone have an idea for how I can make this happen? could I use two maps in the same place?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 24, 2015
1. for fire red i cant find a good link for sappy, whack a hack didnt have a valid one and there wasnt one under tutorials,so where can i look to get files i need to change music for fr?

2. is the d/s easier or harder to hack vs gba?

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
Years
Set the maps to the same Map bank and then connect them with those arrow keys at the top of the program.

sonic1

ASM is my life now...
Years
So it's been a VERY long time since I've played with hacking roms and to be honest the GBA games are somewhat alien to me but I'm getting it it.

My question is this. I'm playing around with a hack of emerald and it's a island chain. I thought it would be fun to have the map change... Sometimes it's tide pools on land and other times you need to surf. Does anyone have an idea for how I can make this happen? could I use two maps in the same place?

There's a feature already of that in emerald!

To help, check this site: https://sites.google.com/site/hackroms/documents-researchs/shoal-cave

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Hiya Pokecommunity! I've recently been playing with the idea of expanding my rom to 32MBs, in order to put in more towns and maps. But could someone help me by explaining the pros and cons of expansion, to help me decide?

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Hiya Pokecommunity! I've recently been playing with the idea of expanding my rom to 32MBs, in order to put in more towns and maps. But could someone help me by explaining the pros and cons of expansion, to help me decide?
There is way more than enough room in original 3rd gen pokemon games for adding that kind of stuff. I'm playing myself with a rom file that has only ~15% of free space and even that's more than enough. In FR and Ruby, I think about half of the rom file is completely empty.

That doesn't actually qualify as something that would probably be a bad thing but then again, patch files are. IPS patches are made so that they can only be made to write data to an address that can be defined with 3-bytes so basically, from $000000 to $FFFFFF. I may not remember right but I think the offsets after the first 16MB are bigger $1000000.

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2014

Pros- More room to store scripts, and any other data that would require you to use free space finder.

Cons- None really, Besides longer download times if you were to make a patch. Lol. It's completely safe.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 24, 2015
i found a copy of sappy 1.6 on another forum site but when i run it i get this error.... Componet 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. So again where can i find a copy of sappy that works or how do i make this version work?

droomph

weeb
Years
i found a copy of sappy 1.6 on another forum site but when i run it i get this error.... Componet 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. So again where can i find a copy of sappy that works or how do i make this version work?
You need to add comdlg32.ocx to your library of framework files. You can just add that file (which you can find a working copy easily online) to the same file that sappy is in.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Pros- More room to store scripts, and any other data that would require you to use free space finder.

Cons- None really, Besides longer download times if you were to make a patch. Lol. It's completely safe.

There is way more than enough room in original 3rd gen pokemon games for adding that kind of stuff. I'm playing myself with a rom file that has only ~15% of free space and even that's more than enough. In FR and Ruby, I think about half of the rom file is completely empty.

That doesn't actually qualify as something that would probably be a bad thing but then again, patch files are. IPS patches are made so that they can only be made to write data to an address that can be defined with 3-bytes so basically, from $000000 to $FFFFFF. I may not remember right but I think the offsets after the first 16MB are bigger $1000000.

Thank you both. It's probably just because of my poor sense of scale...I feel like I'm going through free space very quickly. It's fairly difficult to comprehend sixteen million pieces of data. I'll just forge ahead, and if I run out of space, I'll expand it, since there's no harm done.

Be cautious with Sappy...apparently, it's finnicky and buggy, and won't even work on anything beyond Windows XP.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 24, 2015
errr im on windows 7, so what program would i want to use vs sappy thats windows 7 friendly? Thanks for all the replies.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
I was brainstorming some story elements for my hack, and I had the idea that one of the towns would be pretty much destroyed at some point in the story. I've thought of a few ways I could go about showing this, but there's a few snags that each method would have.

First, I would have a *large* setmaptile script that would end up replacing all the buildings with their burnt down versions. However, this is a REALLY big city, so this script would be really long and a pain to write, and it might make the tileset too large, but this way would probably be the easier route to take.

The other way I thought of would be to make a separate map, possibly with its own tileset if need be, and just have the warps change in the route gates after a certain point. But with this method, if you tried to fly to the city, I dont know how to make sure it takes you to the destroyed version instead of the normal version.

I was thinking of involving Celebi-time-travel in the story, where you would go back in time to stop the city from being destroyed, so after you fix the timeline to where the city isnt destroyed, the city would need to go back to normal.

Im guessing the setmaptile script would end up being the easier way of doing this, but Id like some other people's thoughts on how I might go about doing this.

(Graphics, story, and fakemon elements are my forte. Scripting is not whatsoever, so Im not sure what exactly is possible with this sort of thing)

droomph

weeb
Years
I was brainstorming some story elements for my hack, and I had the idea that one of the towns would be pretty much destroyed at some point in the story. I've thought of a few ways I could go about showing this, but there's a few snags that each method would have.

First, I would have a *large* setmaptile script that would end up replacing all the buildings with their burnt down versions. However, this is a REALLY big city, so this script would be really long and a pain to write, and it might make the tileset too large, but this way would probably be the easier route to take.

The other way I thought of would be to make a separate map, possibly with its own tileset if need be, and just have the warps change in the route gates after a certain point. But with this method, if you tried to fly to the city, I dont know how to make sure it takes you to the destroyed version instead of the normal version.

I was thinking of involving Celebi-time-travel in the story, where you would go back in time to stop the city from being destroyed, so after you fix the timeline to where the city isnt destroyed, the city would need to go back to normal.

Im guessing the setmaptile script would end up being the easier way of doing this, but Id like some other people's thoughts on how I might go about doing this.

(Graphics, story, and fakemon elements are my forte. Scripting is not whatsoever, so Im not sure what exactly is possible with this sort of thing)
Here's what you could do. Just use setmapfooter instead of setmaptile. Besides, you'll save CPU power if you do that.

However, don't use Special 0xD5 and set your own flags (and so on) and change the setmapfooter argument to whatever map you're using.

So basically you change the map you're entering, and so you just make two maps! Convenience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back