• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] [pokered] Glitched sprites?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
I'm trying to add new Pokémon into Pokered, and for the most part it's going alright. Palettes, cries, movesets and stats are working perfectly, but the sprites themselves aren't loading correctly. They show up as MissingNo-like blocks of colour.

I've had to make new sections in pics.asm to avoid overloading existing banks, is it something wrong with that? I'm just wondering if anyone who's also experienced this is able to help me out.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
If you are using new banks, then yes, you need to point to them. For instance, Danye's Gen II Yellow Hack with sprite updates has bank pointers added on to the end of each pokemon entry, and then dynamically loads each bank as needed; I'd suggest using an updated base like that one (I'm sure there's probably a graphics updated red somewhere too? the Red++ I think, has the needed bank changes because it has new pokemon) because doing it by hand is incredibly tedious.
You will want to beware that after a certain point (205ish? I forget), Pokemon in the wild will auto-turn into trainers. There is a simple work-around involving using a flag for wild battles and setting it before every wild battle, then checking: if it is set, then skip past loading trainers in the battle engine, tada. Just remember to unset it or use a flag that auto-resets. You could probably port the code over from my hack to Red without too much trouble, although I've forgotten where exactly that update was you can probably search for it. I added it somewhere around the time I added on roaming legendaries.

Back