• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
So I've rediscovered Hot Chip with their newest album, In Our Heads, and I'm loving it. Anyone know something similar to this kinda stuff?

Look At Where We Are is pretty damn tacky and stuff but I like it and Motion Sickness is just awesome imo. There's probably better on the album but I've not actually gone through all of it yet.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm actually getting more and more excited for the prospect of Cobie Smulders by the minute. Realistically, How I Met Your Mother is getting a little long in the tooth. Jason Segel has already said that the eighth season (which they are currently moving into) will be his last, so I'm not sure that they'd even continue on without him and if they did it wouldn't be for long. So if HIMYM finishes this season, she could move straight into S.H.I.E.L.D for next Season if she so desires.

And even if there is some overlap, she could start out as a guest star and become a series regular later!

Years
Man, everyone is talking about this Smoothers Smulders person like she's famous and I had no idea who she was and had to look her up.

And, not at all related, but I finally figured out who Jimmy Stewart is. All those old movie stars I know the names of get mixed in my head pretty easily and if you mention "Grace Kelly" or "Humphrey Bogart" all that comes up in my head is a blurry black-and-white image with the subtitle "old movie star" and nothing else, but now I know that Stewart is the one with the funny voice. But, boy does it still amaze me that people can differentiate old actors when they all had to act similarly and dress similarly and there was just less variety of roles in Hollywood movies.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
I think that if they wrap up HIMYM this season (unlikely) then she has a chance to really be a main character in the show. I think that if they need Nick Fury to be a main part of the show, they will have to recast him or they will have to set in a universe other than the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Truthfully, I'm not so sure about this show at all. I'd rather Joss create another original...but I guess if one of his show is back on TV...SHIELD will be good enough for me.

Mentalii

Back
Years
Well it's your opinion... I'll try it and tell you what I thought of it. Opinions about SAO are very divided, so I wonder if I will be among the people that loved it or didn't :)

Anyway. The most recent animé I've watched was Danshi Koukousei No Nichijou. A funny anime. I'm not used to this kind of animé, where you don't have an awesome scenario and else. The jokes are sometimes stupid, but how effective... I was ashamed, laughing rolf alone in front of the computer. Ah, that's an anime that put you in a good mood. If you want to smile and don't want to get worked up with complicated scenarios and else, go for it.

Years
I'm looking for something that sounds like Cascada. Anyone got recommendations?

I'm also looking for some recommendations for good music in general. Anything except for Rap/Hip-hop or dubstep.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Yes! Nichibros was great. Comedy style was very reminiscent of Gintama in places, considering Gintama is mega fun times that's certainly not a bad thing.

Shining Raichu

Years
Scarf said:
Man, everyone is talking about this Smoothers Smulders person like she's famous and I had no idea who she was and had to look her up.

Yeah, 'Cobie Smulders' isn't exactly a name you expect to see up in lights lol. Even when we left our first screening of The Avengers, I was talking about Maria Hill and my friend asked me who the hell I was talking about and I replied "the one played by Robin Scherbatsky".

Thomas said:
Truthfully, I'm not so sure about this show at all. I'd rather Joss create another original...but I guess if one of his show is back on TV...SHIELD will be good enough for me.

It will be original though, won't it? I mean, it'll feature characters that Joss didn't create, but there has never actually been a show or a comic or movie or anything like that which is actually about S.H.I.E.L.D, has there? They were just sort of always in the background of the super hero stores, as far as I understand it. It's certainly original enough for me!

He makes characters original anyway, even if they weren't originally his - as evidenced by the transformation of Black Widow from the two-dimensional killbot she was in Iron Man 2 to the fully-fledged character she became in The Avengers.

Scarf said:
But, boy does it still amaze me that people can differentiate old actors when they all had to act similarly and dress similarly and there was just less variety of roles in Hollywood movies.

I honestly for the life of me cannot figure out why they call that the 'golden age of Hollywood'. Not one of those actors (Hepburn included, sorry Harlequin) would survive a day in the modern world of real acting through which Meryl Streep glides with relative ease.

Years
I think this could work because SHIELD is just a group of... soldiers and agents and other 'normal' people and you wouldn't necessarily have superheroes showing up much, right? It could be more of an action/spy/police/political type of show.

And I wouldn't think the movie stars would be regulars, but could maybe do guest appearances as their characters since everything would (conceivably) be contained in one universe.

I didn't think of it like that, but yeah that makes it sound like a much better idea. As long as it wouldn't conflict with HIMYM, it would be great to have 'Robin' in it.

Years
I honestly for the life of me cannot figure out why they call that the 'golden age of Hollywood'.
As much as I gripe about old movies and actors, there are some really good things I've seen from back then. I dunno what years fall into the "golden age" but I've seen a lot of Hitchcock movies recently and they've been almost all really good (especially Rebecca and Rear Window) and a few movies have surprised me with the direction they take and the boundaries they've pushed despite cliche roles and the same 20 actors in them.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
Years
It will be original though, won't it? I mean, it'll feature characters that Joss didn't create, but there has never actually been a show or a comic or movie or anything like that which is actually about S.H.I.E.L.D, has there? They were just sort of always in the background of the super hero stores, as far as I understand it. It's certainly original enough for me!

He makes characters original anyway, even if they weren't originally his - as evidenced by the transformation of Black Widow from the two-dimensional killbot she was in Iron Man 2 to the fully-fledged character she became in The Avengers.
When I say original, I mean an original idea of his not something based in a universe that was already created. Angel, Buffy, Firefly, Dollhouse...all original universes created by him. But you do bring up a good point that he will be creating all new characters which of course will bring in the Whedonesque charm to the show that we all love so much...actually after you mentioning that...I really hope no characters from the avengers are in it. XD

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
Jason Segel has already said that the eighth season (which they are currently moving into) will be his last, so I'm not sure that they'd even continue on without him and if they did it wouldn't be for long.
I'm not sure whether people should believe this or not. A representative for him actually said that the quote was misinterpreted. And it's not like his character is so incredibly vital to the success of the show. ...though I would like it to end sometime soon. The seventh season was like pulling teeth.

I honestly for the life of me cannot figure out why they call that the 'golden age of Hollywood'. Not one of those actors (Hepburn included, sorry Harlequin) would survive a day in the modern world of real acting through which Meryl Streep glides with relative ease.
What exactly makes you say this? The world of acting was just as cut throat, if not more, back then when compared to today.

scarf said:
But, boy does it still amaze me that people can differentiate old actors when they all had to act similarly and dress similarly and there was just less variety of roles in Hollywood movies.
I wouldn't say they were all similar to each other, at least I've always been able to tell them apart. I think the biggest issue when kids these days try to judge old movies is that they never put themselves in the context of the times, which is sometimes really vital to understanding the true meaning of something.

Shining Raichu

Years
I'm not sure whether people should believe this or not. A representative for him actually said that the quote was misinterpreted. And it's not like his character is so incredibly vital to the success of the show. ...though I would like it to end sometime soon. The seventh season was like pulling teeth.

Well he's not vital to the success of the show but he is vital to the storyline. He and Lily are joined at the hip and have been since Day 1, so to get rid of Marshall would mean getting rid of Lily also or somehow writing in a freaking amazing excuse as to why he isn't there for an entire year or more lol. But if it may not be true then that's probably for the best. It'd be like carrying on Friends without Ross (and wouldn't that be a shame?)

What exactly makes you say this? The world of acting was just as cut throat, if not more, back then when compared to today.

From what I've seen of movies from that era, acting wasn't... great. It was more about entertaining and less about story-telling. It was more fantastical and less realistic. And the women all talked in that same high pitch that makes my skin crawl.

Years
And the women all talked in that same high pitch that makes my skin crawl.
Hahaha. I was thinking about that when I was watching those Hitchcock movies. The "Mid Atlantic" accent that isn't an accent anyone really speaks, kinda like like Received Pronunciation / BBC English but for America. Maybe that's not the same one you're talking about though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Acting was really different back in the days of black-and-white movies, but I'd definitely not call it 'bad'. 'Internalised', sure... but not bad. It was people like Marlon Brando and his method acting that really changed the more composed (or, some might say, stiffer) acting styles that had defined Hollywood up until that point, and what was once regarded as a freak way of conveying drama onscreen became the norm. Indeed, in 30 or so years time, maybe film/TV acting will have changed completely from what we know and love today!

Shining Raichu

Years
I don't really see it as 'changing' so much as 'evolving'. I don't see what it could evolve into from here. I think it's as good as it's going to get, and I'm more than OK with that.

Scarf said:
Hahaha. I was thinking about that when I was watching those Hitchcock movies. The "Mid Atlantic" accent that isn't an accent anyone really speaks, kinda like like Received Pronunciation / BBC English but for America. Maybe that's not the same one you're talking about though.

I was more talking about how they put their voices about two octaves above what is natural to sound like the delicate little flowers that they were - but I'm interested to hear about this accent think you're talking about!

Years
I was more talking about how they put their voices about two octaves above what is natural to sound like the delicate little flowers that they were - but I'm interested to hear about this accent think you're talking about!
Oh, I think I know what you mean now. What I was talking about was the kind of accent you get in things like this clip:

You get Americans speaking with this half-British accent that's supposed to make them sound rich and fancy. Or something. It was popular in the 30s-50s, I think. My quick internet searching tells me that Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, and Joan Crawford were big on using it.

Shining Raichu

Years
Oh wow... that is annoying. It's one of those things that you don't notice until you notice it and then you can't stop noticing it. What the hell is that!

Oh man, just another reason I can't watch old movies lol.

Years
Oh wow... that is annoying. It's one of those things that you don't notice until you notice it and then you can't stop noticing it. What the hell is that!

Oh man, just another reason I can't watch old movies lol.
I know what you mean about not being able to stop noticing it. When I come across it now I can't help but think they're supposed to be putting on airs and it makes everything seem a little staged and comedic even when it's supposed to be serious.

But I dunno. I've started to enjoy old movies more now that I've seen a lot of them. Not sure if this is familiarity breeding liking or if I'm opening up more, but where I used to have a "Can we watch something else?" response I'm now more likely to feel "Sure, give it a try."

Shining Raichu

Years
lol did anybody catch any of that Morgan Freeman death hoax on Facebook (assuming you have Facebook)? My mother said to me last night "did you know Morgan Freeman was dead?"

I was like "surely not. If he was dead I would have heard about it before Mum did", but I panicked and shot straight to IMDb because when someone important dies they always have that newsflash thing up the top and there was nothing, so I went to Google and news searched Morgan Freeman and the article came up "Morgan Freeman not dead, can still narrate Discovery shows".

And then I lol'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back