• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which do you think is the best starter?

jkls39

Gate Master
Years
Oshawott really is the best starter for you need its water moves when you want to learn water HM moves... I chose Snivy when I started playing Pokemon Black because I wanted a different type of Pokemon for a change... When I played Diamond Version, I chose Piplup as my starting pokemon since I know it will benefit me in my journey... ^_^

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
I can't really give a good statement on it seeing that I've only chose Oshawott and Snivy, but out of the two, Oshawott wins. I love grass types, but Serperior was a little disappointing.

Years
I chose Oshawott but quickly stopped using it. I think after the second gym i stopped using it and replaced it with a Palpitoad. However I must say Snivy is probably the best designed, he just looks cool! :D

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
Years
I thought I replied to this, but ah well! Oshawott is my favorite starter, especially since I have the tendency to pick Water types. I had some trouble with it toward the beginning, but it was spectacular in general. <3

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Personally I like Pokemon based on what they look like (don't care for a major competitiveness), and Oshawott, once evolved to its final form, easily looks the coolest. Snivy is the coolest in its 1st and 2nd evolutions. Tepig is generally bad or nothing special.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 7, 2015
Snivy is my absolute favorite of the three, but for a beginner I'd say oshawott. There are plenty of good grass type pokemon to use in black and white, but I haven't found any water types, other than tympole and it's later evolutions, to my liking.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Honestly I really don't like any of the Gen 5 starters very much - the base forms are definitely OK (though not big on Oshawott, he looks so grumpy!) but all of the evolution are, in my opinion, just pretty awful. So on that note, my favourite is Tepig as his base form is absolutely beyond adorable and I would cuddle him for days!

AetherBoyMicha

Aether Employee
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
I like the three gen 5 starters equally, I've tried out all three at some point. I do use Tepig a bit more than the others though and chose to use it in my first run of White and White 2. Not really sure which is best, I've just found out Emboar learns Scald though and its weirdly hilarious.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Oshawott then Snivy then Tepig. I like all three but Oshawott was my first pick in BW and its evolutions pulled through for me, especially in the E4. I really love Samurott's roar, it sounds like a motorcycle and it's intimidating like a powerful battle cry. The armored samurai design is great too.

In Black 2, I picked Snivy which also proved to be a reliable and powerful starter, and it and its evolutions have that majestic look. I like Tepig too, even if people give it flak for being another fire/fighting

Last edited:

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
I'd say that Oshawott is my favorite from the trio (it was the first one I picked for B2W2), while Tepig goes next (such a cute design in its first form, then it evolves into the infamous Emboar which can pack a good amount of hits) and Snivy ends the list. Sorry, but I'm not really fond of its line - while I can appreciate its design (it can get to the point of magnificence) I just don't have the same kind of good memories I did have with the other two.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 17, 2022
I like Oshawott the most and it's the starter I chose, I really like it's design which I find adorable and I also like it's evolved form as well.

Years
I've played through Gen 5 games a few times, and usually found Emboar to give the easiest game overall.

Tepig has the best design out of the first stage evolutions, and Samurott has the best design out of the final evolutions (which is of course what ends up being permanent).

Years
I don?t really like any of these actually. I picked Snivy first time and Oshawatt is ok but normally I adore all the starters and this is the first gem where I don?t.

My brother tells me Emboar is great to beat the game with though.

Last edited:
Years
I've choosen snivy.
I love its design and how clever they combined his evolutionary line names
snake + ivy = snivy
serpent + vine = servine
serpent(or serpe, a synonimous of wyvern) + superior = serperior
and its hidden ability (contrary) is one of my favorite abilities in the game

Back