• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Pok?mon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Pok?mon Polished Crystal

Hack of: Crystal version (using the pokecrystal disassembly)

Polished Crystal now has a Discord server!

Introduction

Polished Crystal is, as the title says, Crystal version but improved. I've had vague plans to make a Pok?mon game for years, starting with a folder full of map drawings in middle school, but Mateo's Red++ inspired me to make this one, and I hope to do for Gen 2 what he's doing for Gen 1.

The storyline is the same?you start in New Bark Town, beat the Johto gyms and the Elite Four, then move on to Kanto and fight Red. However, I've added new Pok?mon, new moves, new mechanics, new maps, new events, new trainers, new items, new bugs, and Red is not even the end of the game. I've also moderately increased the difficulty, although this probably needs tuning.

Wait, new bugs? I mean fixed bugs. Probably there are new bugs too, so I'd like you to help find them.

Features

This isn't a complete list, just a summary of the notable ones.

Pok?mon:

• The entire Pok?dex of 253 Pok?mon can be caught in one game. Some Pok?mon, like Houndour, Murkrow, and Misdreavus, are available at sensible locations in Johto without having to wait for Kanto.
  • Added: Leafeon, Glaceon, Sylveon, Togekiss, Weavile, Honchkrow, Mismagius, Electivire, Magmortar, Magnezone, Tangrowth, Rhyperior, Porygon-Z, Yanmega, Gliscor, Mamoswine, and Munchlax.
  • Removed: Spearow, Fearow, Lickitung, Goldeen, Seaking, Hoppip, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Shuckle, Aipom, Stantler, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Smoochum, and Delibird. (I miss them too. :( )
  • New evolution methods work, like Eevee evolving into Glaceon near Ice Rock, or Yanma evolving into Yanmega when knowing AncientPower.
  • Item trade evolutions (like Seadra holding a Dragon Scale) now evolve by leveling up while holding the item.
  • Machoke, Graveler, Haunter, and Kadabra evolve by having sufficient stat exp in Attack, Defense, Speed, and Special respectively (five Protein, Iron, Carbos, or Calcium is enough).
  • Magneton evolves into Magnezone near the Lodestone in Rock Tunnel.

Moves:

• Added: Aerial Ace, Air Slash, Aqua Tail, Astonish, Avalanche, Bug Buzz, Bulk Up, Bullet Punch, Calm Mind, Dark Pulse, DazzlinGleam, Disarm Voice, Dragon Claw, Dragon Dance, Dragon Pulse, Drain Kiss, Earth Power, Energy Ball, Extrasensory, Fairy Wind, Flare Blitz, Flash Cannon, Focus Blast, Gunk Shot, Hail, Hex, Hone Claws, Hurricane, Hyper Voice, Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, Iron Head, Metal Sound, Moonblast, Nasty Plot, Night Slash, Play Rough, Poison Jab, Power Gem, Psystrike, Seed Bomb, Shadow Claw, Stone Edge, Water Pulse, Wild Charge, Will-O-Wisp, X-Scissor, and Zen Headbutt.
  • Removed: Acid Armor, Amnesia, Barrage, Beat Up, Bide, Bind, Bone Club, Bone Rush, Bubble, Clamp, Comet Punch, Constrict, Conversion2, Cotton Spore, Detect, Fissure, Frustration, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Jump Kick, Kinesis, Lovely Kiss, Meditate, Mega Kick, Mega Punch, Mimic, Mind Reader, Mirror Move, Poison Gas, Powder Snow, Present, Psych Up, Psywave, Razor Wind, Rolling Kick, Sharpen, Skull Bash, Smog, Snore, Spider Web, Spite, Sweet Scent, Synthesis, Tail Whip, Vice Grip, and Withdraw.
  • Learnsets have been updated close to Gen VI, with missing moves replaced by similar, egg, TM, or event-exclusive moves.

Battle mechanics:

• The Fairy type, with the Pink Bow as its type-enhancing item.
  • Type chart, base stats, and move attributes all updated to Gen VI.
  • Physical/Special/Status split.
  • Natures (determined from DVs since personality values don't exist in Gen II) thanks to FredrIQ.
  • Gain experience from catching Pok?mon.
  • Play low-pitched cries when a player or foe Pok?mon faints.
  • Money loss formula from Gen V.
  • Shiny Pok?mon now have an odd Attack DV, 2, 3, 7, or 11 Defense, 5 or 13 Speed, and a perfect 15 Special; so 1 in 1,024 Pok?mon is shiny.
  • Type-enhancing items raise by 20%, not 10%.
  • Many battle mechanics have been updated to Gen VI, but not all. (For example, Waterfall has a 20% flinch chance, but sound-based moves don't bypass Substitute. Yet.)
  • Wild Pok?mon have more common held items (50% chance for a common one and 5% for a rare one). Giving an Amulet Coin to your lead Pok?mon increases this to 60% and 10%.

Overworld mechanics:

• Hold B to use Running Shoes, or turn on the Option to always use them.
  • Unlimited-use TMs.
  • Continuous Repel system.
  • Cure poison when it reaches 1 HP outside a battle.
  • Eggs hatch at level 1.
  • Trees randomly give 1, 2, or 3 Berries.
  • Surf at Bicycle/Running Shoes speed.
  • Maximum $9,999,999 money and 50,000 coins.
  • Maximum 30 items and 16 Balls in your bag pocket.
  • Bill calls to switch boxes when one is full.

Nuzlocke mode:

• Available in the Option menu at any time.
  • A fainted Pok?mon can't be revived, by items, Pok?mon Centers, or events. The only exception is your first rival battle, when you just have your starter.
  • You can only catch the first Pok?mon you encounter in a new location. "Location" is defined with the Town Map mechanics, so Sprout Tower is separate from Violet City, but multiple floors of Union Cave or multiple sections of the Safari Zone count as one location. And nothing is counted until you receive your first five Pok? Balls.
  • Every Pok?mon gets a nickname, no asking whether you want to or not. Of course, you can cancel out to give the default name.
  • The dupes clause is in effect. If you've caught a Pidgey and encounter one on a new route, it won't count unless you catch it.
  • The shiny clause is also in effect. Shinies can always be caught.
  • Gift Pok?mon do not count as encounters. Static encounters like Sudowoodo, Snorlax, and Suicune do.

Maps:

• Restored locations from R/B/Y and HG/SS: Viridian Forest, Pewter Museum, Celadon Hotel, Silph Co., Pok?mon Mansion, Seafoam Islands, Cerulean Cave, Goldenrod Pok?Com Center, and Bellchime Trail.
  • Original locations, including Cinnabar Volcano, a new floor of Rock Tunnel, Cherrygrove Bay, Goldenrod Harbor, Route 35 Coast, the Ecruteak Shrine from Pok?mon Christmas, custom-designed Pok?Walker routes, and others.
  • Decorative features added to cities and routes, often from HG/SS.
  • HG/SS-style Town Map.

Events:

• Team Rocket has another plan to thwart.
  • Random Wonder Trades in the Goldenrod Pok?Com Center, including random held items and original trainers.
  • Catching all 26 Unown is worthwhile?
  • Move Reminder in the same house as the Move Deleter. (Code borrowed from TPP Anniversary Crystal, thanks to its developers graciously making their source code public.)
  • 21 move tutors throughout Johto and Kanto.
  • Falkner is in Dark Cave, encouraging you to beat Sprout Tower first.
  • Photographing your Pok?mon at the Cianwood Photo Studio once a day now makes it happier, like haircuts or massages. (No more GameBoy Printer support.)
  • The Mystery Gift girl in Goldenrod Dept. Store gives you a random Berry once a day. (No more Mystery Gift support.)
  • The Pok? Seer is replaced by the Stats Judge.
  • Lt. Surge's electric fences are back.
  • Celadon Dept. Store now has a TV Game floor and a Home Decor wing.
  • Revised in-game trades.
  • Revised Game Corner prizes.
  • Revised Buena's Password prizes.
  • The Odd Egg is always shiny, with an equal chance to be either gender.
  • Three of Prof. Oak's aides give you items as you complete the Pok?dex.
  • Bill's grandpa gives you one of each evolutionary stone in Goldenrod City. Later they can be bought in Celadon Dept. Store.
  • Eusine shows you the legendary beasts in Celadon City in case you haven't found them roaming.
  • Respawn any fainted legendaries (except for Celebi) after beating the Elite Four. (Suicune roams instead of appearing in Bell Tower.) (Also respawns Sudowoodo.)

Trainers:

• Lyra from HG/SS is your friendly rival. She battles you and gives you some items throughout the game.
  • The four Rocket Executives from HG/SS are introduced.
  • New trainer classes: Elder, Rich Boy, Schoolgirl, Cowgirl, Battle Girl, Hex Maniac, Guitarist?, Officer?, Sr. & Jr., Couple, Breeder, PI, Dragon Tamer, Ace Duo, and Roughneck.
  • Battle Lorelei, Agatha, Bill, Valerie, and some other special characters.
  • Battle Cal in Viridian City's Trainer House if you're a girl, Kay if you're a boy.
  • Rematch the Elite Four at higher levels after earning all 16 badges.
  • Rematch Gym Leaders and other special trainers in the Fighting Dojo after earning all 16 badges.
  • Battle Tower has new trainers.
  • A few NPC trainers have shiny Pok?mon.
  • Breeders can be rebattled like in B2/W2.

Items:

• Revised set of 65 TMs and 8 HMs.
  • Four new Pok? Balls from Devon Corp.
  • Dome Fossil, Helix Fossil, and Old Amber. Revive them in the now-open Pewter Museum of Science.
  • All of the decorations for your room are available in different places.
  • Earn a Silver Trophy when you beat the Elite 4 and a Gold Trophy when you rematch them at higher levels.
  • Other items including Eviolite, Muscle Band, Wise Glasses, and X Spcl. Def.

Bug fixes:

• Dragon Fang boosts Dragon-type moves, not Dragon Scale.
  • Burn/Poison/Paralyze improve catch rate.
  • Moon Ball catches Moon Stone evolvers.
  • Love Ball catches opposite sex.
  • Fast Ball catches flee-prone Pok?mon.
  • Medium-Slow growth rate experience underflow at level 1.
  • HP bar lowers at the same speed even for high HP.
  • Belly Drum needs to cut HP to raise Attack.
  • Lake of Rage Magikarp are larger, not smaller.
  • Rocket Executives use Team Rocket battle music, not just Grunts.
  • The Ruins of Alph tile with their surrounding maps. (Did this annoy anyone else when making huge maps of Johto?)

Difficulty:

• Default Set battle style.
  • Enemy AI doesn't fail an extra 25% of the time with sleep or poison-inducing moves, or 40% of the time with stat drops.
  • No badge boosts to stats or types.
  • Improved some trainers' rosters, movesets, held items, and DVs (particularly Gym Leaders, the Elite Four, and other bosses).
  • AI improvements, such as not trying to paralyze Electric types or burn Fire types.
  • A smoothly increasing level curve, with the final trainer of the game at level 100.

Changes and buffs:

• Many base stat changes, mostly based on Drayano's Sacred Gold/Storm Silver.
  • Cut is Steel-type, and has 60 power and 100% accuracy.
  • Hidden Power is ???-type and has 70 power.
  • Metronome is ???-type.
  • Sing has 75% accuracy (matching Lovely Kiss).
  • Supersonic has 65% accuracy.
  • Submission and Take Down have 90 power and 100% accuracy, like Wild Charge.
  • Hail boosts Defense of Ice-types by 50%.
  • Fly has 100% accuracy.
  • Strength has 90 power.
  • Rock Smash has 75 power.
  • Whirlpool and Fire Spin have 90% accuracy.
  • Pain Split is Ghost-type.
  • Some Pok?mon have new types (for example, Ledian is Bug/Fighting, Persian is Normal/Dark, and Dunsparce is Normal/Ground).

I know that not everyone likes this kind of change, so I've provided two ROM patches. The "faithful" patch keeps the canon Pok?mon stats and move attributes.

Graphics and music:

• Restored original Japanese sprites for Beauty, Fisher, Medium, Sage, and Swimmer?.
  • Replaced Twins sprite with a devamped one from B/W.
  • New music ported from RBY and devamped from future generations.
  • Unique mini sprites for each Pok?mon (thanks to this patch).
  • Revised some shiny palettes (Dragonite is blue like Dragonair, Nidoqueen is pink like Nidoking, Scizor is silver, Espeon is sky blue, Electabuzz is red, etc).
  • Unown isn't the only Pok?mon with variant forms?
  • Color-coded starter Pok? Balls.
  • Item balls for TMs are blue (inspired by Gen VI's yellow).
  • Surfing on Pikachu uses the minigame music from Yellow version.

More tweaks:

• Lowercase Pok?mon, moves, items, types, names, etc.
  • Fast text by default.
  • Stereo sound by default.
  • Third Trainer Card page for Kanto badges.
  • Fourth stats page for capture data formerly told by the Pok? Seer.
  • Move stats include type, category, power, and accuracy.
  • Updated language (Pack ? Bag, Enemy ? Foe, Cooltrainer ? Ace Trainer, Fisher ? Fisherman, Elixer ? Elixir, Pink Bow ? Silk Scarf, new Berry names, etc).
  • Brass Tower ? Gong Tower (?? kane can mean ? "metal" or ?, a gong-like bell).
  • Nidorina and Nidoqueen can breed, and will produce eggs of either Nidoran gender.
  • Fly to the Rock Tunnel/Power Plant Pok?mon Center.
  • The Mineral Badge, not Storm Badge, makes Pok?mon up to L70 obey, like in HG/SS.
  • The Zephyr Badge lets you use traded Pok?mon up to level 20, like in HG/SS.
  • Flash does not require the Zephyr Badge.
  • Fishing works 75% of the time, not 50%.
  • Always show numbers in Pok?dex, even in Johto order.

All this and I haven't even mentioned some of my favorite additions. Don't want to spoil everything. (I mean, you can read the source code if you're that curious.)

Screenshots

48 screenshots inside spoiler.

Spoiler:

Bugs

• Nuzlocke mode sometimes turns on by itself.
  • TMs can restore PP.
  • Some NPC trainers incorrectly use X Spcl. Atk.
  • Avalanche's power doesn't double if the user is hit first.

Download Patches

The most recent version is 2.2.0 as of September 20, 2016.

There are two patches, regular and "faithful". The faithful patch does not change any Pok?mon types or base stats, or any move attributes. This will be more familiar, but can have some odd consequences, like a Ghost trainer using a Ninetales that lacks STAB on its Shadow Ball.

Patches should be applied to a Pok?mon Crystal (UE) (1.0) ROM. The one I used has the MD5 hash 9f2922b235a5eeb78d65594e82ef5dde if you need to make sure your copy is correct.

Patches:

Credits

• yenatch, kanzure, Pikalax, iimarckus, and everyone else who's contributed to disassembling Pok?mon Crystal.
  • Crystal_ for their in-depth RBY/GSC mechanics research, and help on /r/PokemonROMhacks.
  • Mateo for their thorough Red++ ROM hack, help on Skeetendo, and some sprites and tiles.
  • Tauwasser, comet, and other members of Skeetendo for helpful advice.
  • PikalaxALT, pigdevil2010, Koolboyman, chaos_lord2, padz, and everyone else who developed TPP Anniversary Crystal 251 and made the code public.
  • FredrIQ for multiple feature code contributions.
  • VictoriaLacroix for their Running Shoes routine.
  • Blue Emerald, Chamber, solo993, Lake, Neslug, and Pikachu25 for many Pok?mon sprites and icons.
  • FroggestSpirit, Pum, Pigu, Mmmmmm, and huderlem for devamping some great music.
  • jpmac26 for editing the Pok?mon Center signs.
  • Twilir, Danny-E, Poketto, Nic7C5, BettyNewbie, and Fo0xerz for various sprites.
  • Satoshi Tajiri, Game Freak, and Nintendo for creating Pok?mon Crystal in the first place.

Requests

This is technically a complete game. You can catch all the Pok?mon, beat all the trainers, and I'm pretty sure it won't crash. However, I do keep updating it, so please report any bugs or missing features. There are quite a few things I'd like to eventually add: custom animations for new moves, more modern battle mechanics, and even new activities like the Safari game or Honey trees. So I'd appreciate people paying attention to their experience as they play, letting me know what works and what doesn't. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
This is the upgrade I waited for so long. I am loving it so far.

I wanted to ask you, do the new Pokemon have animated sprites? And also, did you somehow disable the cheat codes function? No code I use works with the faithful patch (I have not tried the non canon patch)

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hi! Glad you like it. The new sprites aren't animated, but if any artists want to contribute some animation frames I'd love it.

I didn't intentionally break any Gameshark codes, but they depend on data being at precise addresses, and most of those were changed.

Zef

zef
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
i hatched a non-shiny pkmn from the odd egg.

fun hack btw

Years
Wished you made a version with the regular difficulty level of the original with the option to switch between pokemon during a trainer battle since I'm not a fan of games that increase difficulty.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
Wished you made a version with the regular difficulty level of the original with the option to switch between pokemon during a trainer battle since I'm not a fan of games that increase difficulty.

you should try the hack out before commenting
the battle style can be changed to "switch" (the description did say that the battle style is DEFAULT to set, not permanent)

also this hack mostly only slightly buffs the E4/gym leaders. normal trainers and wild mons are mostly untouched (which i actually do not like, i rather rangi did buff them too)

Years
you should try the hack out before commenting
the battle style can be changed to "switch" (the description did say that the battle style is DEFAULT to set, not permanent)

also this hack mostly only slightly buffs the E4/gym leaders. normal trainers and wild mons are mostly untouched (which i actually do not like, i rather rangi did buff them too)
I don't like any trainers to be buffed, I prefer vanilla difficulty. I think two versions should be provided, one with difficulty hightened and one with Vanilla difficulty.

Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
first shiny found so far so good.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 9.43.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 9.43.10 AM.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 118
Years
  • Seen Nov 11, 2023
So i'm gonna be a bother and ask could we maybe get a more detailed changelog like what pokemon have stat changes or where you have put some of the more rare pokemon?

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
You can see all the wild Pokémon locations in the data/wild files. The base stats in data/base_stats are less convenient to read, so I will make a list of the changed ones for the next release. Although I believe all the new ones are in this changelog.

By the way, I am making changes in response to peoples' bug reports. New fixes and features are listed at the bottom of the readme that will be out in 1.1.0.

Zef, I cannot reproduce the non-shiny Smoochum bug. If anyone else gets a non-shiny Odd Egg, please let me know.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
I don't like any trainers to be buffed, I prefer vanilla difficulty. I think two versions should be provided, one with difficulty hightened and one with Vanilla difficulty.

i just beaten the E4 on nuzlocke and i can tell you the difficulty is pretty much similar or just a little harder than the original.

btw @ rangi i told you about the will o wisp piercing through semi-invulnerable state of dig on reddit, i hope you did take note of it?

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Yes, thanks for the bug report. It will probably be fixed for the next version.

(Should I just release 1.0.1 in the next few days or wait for more significant new features in a 1.1 release?)

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
(Should I just release 1.0.1 in the next few days

you should.
also i think you should buff the wild mons in kanto...seeing them all at lvl 10+ when your mon is now 50+ is just eh...
YARAH!
Vl0or3.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Yeah, I'm definitely going to raise the levels in Kanto. I think once that's done underleveling won't really be a problem, because trainer levels have the same steady increase as HG/SS, it's just that you aren't gaining enough experience to match them.

I'll try to adjust the Kanto levels and fix the sprite glitch (which is not going to be another one-line fix), then release 1.0.1.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
any other place to get dig/earthquake tm? want to use gliscor but seeing it doesn't learn any good ground moves and seemingly non e of those tm(already used them) left...

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
No, TMs are only in one place, since I want to make them reusable.

By the way, how does Gen VI handle selling reusable TMs? Does the TM disappear from the menu after you buy it? Or do they just not have TMs for sale any more? Same question regarding the Game Corner prizes.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
tm cannot be sold from gen5 onwards. and if you buy one the same tm become unpurchasable, same deal for game corner tm.
i hope you make them reusable soon...
to be frank coming fresh from a tpp crystal playthrough, i was sort of disappointed to see that a lot of gen6 mechanics that are in tpp are still not implemented (sleep, crit ratio, repel system, infinite tm etc.).
maybe i should not have play it too much early on and waited for a later patch haha. though i love my sing espeon now. sleep so OP in older gens

Back