• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PGPC] #2 - Manaphy/Phione

Years
Welcome everyone to the new Pokemon General Polls and Chats series (aka PGPC for short)! PGPC is a new weekly event stemming from past series here in Pokemon General like the PokePOTW and What Would You Do?, where we throw a topic at you every week to discuss and decide over. Sometimes these threads will be a deep dive into a certain parts of the franchise, or something as simple as pitting a couple Pokemon against each other to see who are your favorites! With something a little different going on every week, it's always a good idea to stop by and see what we're discussing in each PGPC!

Now with all that said, this week's topic is:

"Manaphy & Phione: which do you prefer/what do you think of them?"

I'm going to go ahead and say that both of these Gen IV mythicals (although idk if Phione counts as one necessarily but w/e) have flown under the radar for some, which makes me wonder why that is. What do you think of either Pokemon?

Past PGPC Discussions:
#1 - Which Pokemon type would best suit you?

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I count Phone as a Mythical, since there's no way to get one through the wild. I don't know why it's such a debate as to whether Phione is or not, when:

-Phione cannot participate in the PWT, or the Battle Frontier/etc, like most mythical Pokemon/legendary Pokemon.

But I like Phione, and I don't even understand the hate it gets. I hear people call it a "throwaway Pokemon" and many other rather mean things. =/ I've actually used a Phione in three playthroughs. One time in Diamond, and twice in Pokemon White2. I've always had a lot of fun battling with one, not going to lie. I really like how Phione can be bred off of Manaphy, but Phione cannot evolve into it, I've always really wanted more Pokemon like this, where two Pokemon breed & a completely different Pokemon is the offspring, instead of Pokemon that are of a previous form/same Pokemon.

I also really love Manaphy as a Pokemon. I think it's really cool that it's considered the prince of the sea. I've actually gotten myself a legit, non-event distribution Manaphy before. (Too bad my Pokemon Diamond I got it one is no longer a functional game). A really long time ago, I was able to get my hands on a Pokemon Ranger that didn't have the Manaphy Mission unlocked, it was a really fun time. ;;

I also have both Manaphy and Phione plushies. Manaphy was, truth be told, my very first Pokemon plushie back during 2007 or 2008.

I don't really prefer Manaphy or Phione over each other. I like them both, and would use them again if there was ever another Pokemon Ranger w/a Manaphy Mission to play. It's been a long time since I've had a legit Manaphy, it's depressing. ;;

Years
For me, I don't prefer one over the other, either. I like them both!

That said though, I do feel like they kinda fly under the radar of most people when it comes to mythicals, especially Phione. Yeah, Phione is kind of a slightly weaker version of Manaphy stat-wise, that's really just about it. It's just as cute and adorable, imo.

That said, I wish Game Freak was a bit more clearer on the whole purpose of Phione to begin with. .__.

Years
I would describe both as being mythical pokemon. However, I think Phione is considerably less popular than its counterpart and is often disregarded. That being said, Phione is no less enthralling than Manaphe!

I do adore both of these pokemon. They have such adorable designs and I loved Manaphy in PMD Explorers of Sky! Manaphy made a marvelous contribution to the game and made the after story all the more enjoyable.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
Years
I bought Pokemon Ranger just to get that Manaphy egg in Diamond. Need I say more?

Of course I do, because that doesn't really answer the question; I like both Pokemon a tonne (although Phione probably a little less as it is just feels like Manaphy Lite). Manaphy, as well as a a bunch of other Mythicals like Shaymin and Celebi, were playground legends in my primary school, so I tend to have very fond memories of these Pokemon. When I was big on competitive battling, I would try to fit each one into a team or two just so I could use them.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I prefer Phione over Manaphy most likely because underdog.

The thing with those two is that Manaphy is a Phione that was infused with mana while it was still in its egg. That infusion made it more powerful than regular Phione.

It's also pretty much where the name came from (Manaphy="Mana"+"Phi(one)").

Years
really though poor phione

being the extremely overlooked pokemon simply due to it being mini-manaphy. :c

kinda wish it had more things to make it more different, though...

Back