The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Challenges
Chit-Chat Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

Old July 15th, 2017 (7:50 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
I won't quete you all, but you know I'm talking to you :D

That's pretty good idea. I would actually try and do this for the rest of the month. It could be also good idea to set some kind of points system. We also need to make some format in which we'll write the challenges.

Also, I would like to take themed events..
Old July 15th, 2017 (8:48 AM).
press start to play_

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
Yes, exactly!

We're already half way through the month, would that be enough time? Or maybe take the rest of the month to figure out the details of who is doing what and what the format should be, and then start a challenge on August 1st?

Like I said, I could organize the challenge itself - picking the challenge each month, making the post, and then either creating a separate post or update the original post after the challenge to list the winners. I can make the list of all the winners, the people who completed it the fastest, the people who completed it the most, and keep track of streaks/# of completions (I'm very organized)

It would be good if someone else was in charge of prizes if we want them, and someone who's got a good knowledge of the franchise as a whole could be in charge of additional awards (or we could do it by vote?) - Most of my knowledge is of the gen III games so I wouldn't be good at, say, picking who had the most creative or most difficult completion unless they did something really obvious like get a Magikarp to lvl 100

Bigger themed events could be collaborative between whoever wants to help run them, if there isn't one or two people who specifically want to be in charge of themed events.
Love your enthusiasm! Just remember that teamwork is a good thing, so if others want to help out, hopefully they can aid you in some way, or get to host the September mini-challenge or something.

That being said, I think it's nice if you take charge and draft up what the August challenge can look like! As for future themed challenges, maybe you guys could brainstorm in this thread and agree on what the next nice theme could be~ Janp could be in charge of keeping track of ideas and how the theme events could work, perhaps c:
Old July 15th, 2017 (9:02 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure View Post
Love your enthusiasm! Just remember that teamwork is a good thing, so if others want to help out, hopefully they can aid you in some way, or get to host the September mini-challenge or something.

That being said, I think it's nice if you take charge and draft up what the August challenge can look like! As for future themed challenges, maybe you guys could brainstorm in this thread and agree on what the next nice theme could be~ Janp could be in charge of keeping track of ideas and how the theme events could work, perhaps c:
As someone who participated in every Event here in Challenges ever since 2013, I'll gladly help with returning Challenges to its former glory...

Let's call it... Reborn
Old July 15th, 2017 (10:01 AM).

Nature: Calm
    Quote:

Oh yeah absolutely! If someone else wants to help out with the mini challenges or take turns hosting them each month I'm all for it (and I will definitely need help - as said, I'd love for somebody else to look after prizes and awards since that's not something I think I'd be able to do. Even if somebody wants to help keep track of winning streaks or something, that would be cool too).

I've got kind of a template started with general rules that would stay the same month to month, just need to format it. For the first challenge just to test the waters I'm thinking either get a pokemon to lvl 100 or beat a gym with a team of pokemon that all have a type disadvantage - both good for beginners/casual players because it doesn't require any in-depth knowledge of game mechanics, lots of flexibility in how you can complete them, and both are possible to complete on any game. But if somebody else has an idea for what would be a good first challenge I'd love to hear it!
    Old July 15th, 2017 (12:16 PM).

Quote:
    Oh yeah absolutely! If someone else wants to help out with the mini challenges or take turns hosting them each month I'm all for it (and I will definitely need help - as said, I'd love for somebody else to look after prizes and awards since that's not something I think I'd be able to do. Even if somebody wants to help keep track of winning streaks or something, that would be cool too).

I've got kind of a template started with general rules that would stay the same month to month, just need to format it. For the first challenge just to test the waters I'm thinking either get a pokemon to lvl 100 or beat a gym with a team of pokemon that all have a type disadvantage - both good for beginners/casual players because it doesn't require any in-depth knowledge of game mechanics, lots of flexibility in how you can complete them, and both are possible to complete on any game. But if somebody else has an idea for what would be a good first challenge I'd love to hear it!
    You can post the template here and we can use it as a base :) I would also consider the system with points. Like make one main goal for bigger amount of points and then some additional goals for less points. Some of these could also be done more that once and some only once.
    Old July 18th, 2017 (7:58 AM).

Nature: Modest
      I never participated in the events before, however I'd love to help out, or even just participate.
      Old July 20th, 2017 (4:08 AM).

Quote:
      Quote:
      Guys, I think we should start doing something, if we want to make August mini-Challenge.
      Old July 20th, 2017 (6:07 AM).
      press start to play_

Quote:

Like Janp says, did you have a template we could turn into a draft for an event? (:
      Old July 20th, 2017 (3:13 PM).

Quote:
        Like Janp says, did you have a template we could turn into a draft for an event? (:
        Sorry guys I was away for a couple days and didn't have a chance to post it ahead of time

It's pretty basic, whoever is running the challenge for the month can get fancy with it if they want:

Spoiler:

PokeCommunity’s Monthly Mini-Challenge

Welcome to the monthly mini-challenge!

Every month, if there are no full-scale events running, we will hold a mini-challenge that can be completed on an existing save, or in conjunction with a challenge you’re working on. Sometimes there will be prizes, but mostly there will be bragging rights, and hopefully some fun to be had as we all attempt things that are not normally part of a casual play-through or typical challenge

General rules (applicable to all mini-challenges unless otherwise stated):

– All main series games are allowed, but no hacks of any sort may be used
        – All pokemon and items used for the challenge must be obtained without hacking or trading
        – You do not need to start a new game, all mini-challenges can be completed using an existing save
        – All pokemon used to complete the challenge must have been obtained on or after the start date of the challenge
        – Image or video proof is required if you want to be included in the leaderboards or bragging-rights awards; however, you do not need to provide proof if you merely wish to be listed as a winner

This month’s mini challenge is:

##BRIEF DESCRIPTION HERE##

##additional description if required##

Challenge specific rules:

– additional rule
        – additional rule
        – additional rule

A list of everyone who completed the challenge will be published within a week of the finish date. In addition, bragging-rights awards will be given to:

– the contestant who completed the challenge the fastest
        – the contestant who completed the challenge the most number of times
        – the most difficult completion

As well as any other notable completion

If you have an idea for a future monthly mini-challenge or would like to contribute to running the monthly mini-challenge, drop by the Challenges Ideas & Discussion thread.

Old July 21st, 2017 (8:21 AM).

Quote:
        Sorry guys I was away for a couple days and didn't have a chance to post it ahead of time

It's pretty basic, whoever is running the challenge for the month can get fancy with it if they want:

Spoiler:

Welcome to the monthly mini-challenge!

Every month, if there are no full-scale events running, we will hold a mini-challenge that can be completed on an existing save, or in conjunction with a challenge you’re working on. Sometimes there will be prizes, but mostly there will be bragging rights, and hopefully some fun to be had as we all attempt things that are not normally part of a casual play-through or typical challenge

– All pokemon and items used for the challenge must be obtained without hacking or trading
        – You do not need to start a new game, all mini-challenges can be completed using an existing save
        – All pokemon used to complete the challenge must have been obtained on or after the start date of the challenge
        – Image or video proof is required if you want to be included in the leaderboards or bragging-rights awards; however, you do not need to provide proof if you merely wish to be listed as a winner

This month’s mini challenge is:

##BRIEF DESCRIPTION HERE##

##additional description if required##

Challenge specific rules:

– additional rule
        – additional rule
        – additional rule

A list of everyone who completed the challenge will be published within a week of the finish date. In addition, bragging-rights awards will be given to:

If you have an idea for a future monthly mini-challenge or would like to contribute to running the monthly mini-challenge, drop by the Challenges Ideas & Discussion thread.

This is awesome... I think we can use this :)
        Old July 23rd, 2017 (9:59 PM). Edited July 23rd, 2017 by Tek.

Nature: Brave
        Great work, Inkblots. We can look at some of the older events to get ideas for the specific goals in these mini-challenges, then modify them to suit whatever theme we pick. Lots of material here to draw inspiration from: https://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=296 (s'long as Necrum's cool with us pilfering ideas).

Other than that I have a couple of changes I think we should consider.

1 - Make each mini-challenge last two months instead of one month. Gives casual players more time to complete objectives and gives us more time to develop and review the content. Our aim is to attract interest and attention to the forum, so it's important that we present something that is fun, fresh, and well thought out!

2 - Let's make participation prizes and at least one or two special prizes available. Personally, bragging rights isn't very enticing, but a prize pokemon is! I will provide the participation prizes for now. I have a few shinies and such that could make good ranking prizes but we'll probably need to work together to gather more.

What do you all think about these suggestions?
        Old July 23rd, 2017 (10:31 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Tek View Post
        Great work, Inkblots. We can look at some of the older events to get ideas for the specific goals in these mini-challenges, then modify them to suit whatever theme we pick. Lots of material here to draw inspiration from: https://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=296 (s'long as Necrum's cool with us pilfering ideas).

Other than that I have a couple of changes I think we should consider.

1 - Make each mini-challenge last two months instead of one month. Gives casual players more time to complete objectives and gives us more time to develop and review the content. Our aim is to attract interest and attention to the forum, so it's important that we present something that is fun, fresh, and well thought out!

2 - Let's make participation prizes and at least one or two special prizes available. Personally, bragging rights isn't very enticing, but a prize pokemon is! I will provide the participation prizes for now. I have a few shinies and such that could make good ranking prizes but we'll probably need to work together to gather more.

What do you all think about these suggestions?
        1 - I think two months are too long. From my own experience, if people have a lot of time to complete the challenge, they will procrastinate and won't complete it.

2 - I agree on this! I'm no breeder, but I'll try and get some prizes myself.
        Old July 23rd, 2017 (11:08 PM).
        press start to play_

I think try monthly first yeah.

Remember that you can simply quote or message me if you need the thread stickied or want to put some fancy prefix on it :)
        Old July 24th, 2017 (1:51 PM).

Yeah, I think two months is going to be a bit too long. One month will be the easiest to keep track of, and in theory, none of these challenges should be too difficult for a casual player to complete in a month.

If a lot of people are complaining that it's not enough time, then we could maybe go to something like a month and a half (start on the first of the month, go until halfway through the next month, then take a break for the remainder of the month).
          Old July 24th, 2017 (2:48 PM).

1- Any Pokémon that faints is considered "dead," and must be released or stored in a specified PC box for "dead" Pokémon.

2- You can only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.

3- You must also nickname all of your Pokémon, for the sake of forming "stronger emotional bonds."

4- In a new area, the first encounters for both players will be, "linked," together until death.

5- If one Pokémon in a linked pair is placed in the PC, it's Soul Link partner must be placed in the PC as well.

6- If one Pokémon in a linked pair dies, it's Soul Link partner is considered dead as well.

7- If one player fails to capture their first encounter in an area, the second player must forfeit their encounter in their corresponding area.

Message if interested.
            Old July 25th, 2017 (10:44 PM).

OK so that's a consensus then :D

Next question: is five days long enough to create the thing or do we set to work on a September challenge?

I would vote for the latter, especially since it's our first one. Also I have a limited number of hours per week that I'll devote to the cause. But then if my main contribution is breeding up some prize Pokémon, that won't really impact development time.
            Old July 25th, 2017 (10:49 PM).
            press start to play_

Prizes also don't need to be handed out until the end if August, perhaps? So plenty of time to breed (i hope).
            Old July 26th, 2017 (1:23 AM).

I think we have all major points figured out, so we can do it in August.

I tried to make some kind of 1st post with Inkblots's template:

Spoiler:

Welcome to the Monthly Mini-Challenge!

- You can complete this challenge more that once <- I added this here, because I don't see it anywhere

This month’s Mini-Challenge is:

The Hundred <- Suggestions for better name are welcomed

This is 1st ever Mini-Challenge, so let's make it easy. In this Challenge, you have only one goal - get your Pokemon to level 100.

If you have an idea for a future monthly Mini-Challenge or would like to contribute to running the monthly mini-challenge, drop by the Challenges Ideas & Discussion thread.

Old July 26th, 2017 (2:18 PM).
            Everything

Nature: Naughty
              I just had a read of some of the posts above and the idea seems very nice, definitely something a casual challenger can partake in as well. There are probably a decent amount of mini-challenge ideas that can be thought of quite quickly. A possible rule to add with the "The Hundred" challenge is to add a maximum level for the Pokemon you obtain for the challenge, other than that it all looks really good.
              Old July 26th, 2017 (2:25 PM). Edited July 26th, 2017 by Inkblots.

I think 5 days is plenty, the only difficult/time consuming work (putting together lists of winners and distributing prizes) will come at the beginning of September after the challenge is over.

I was thinking a challenge of getting a pokemon to level 100 would be perfect, so I'm totally on board for that!

Not sure if we really need to place a limit on max level for the pokemon to start out with - if somebody wants to go the easy route and catch a lvl 50 legendary and level it up, personally, I'm cool with it, they just won't get any prizes other than being on the list of people who completed the challenge.

Perhaps an additional rule could be that you can't use an existing pokemon to do an in-game trade (since I think most, if not all, in-game trades give you a pokemon of the same level - so in theory someone could "cheat" by trading a previously levelled pokemon, and then get the exp bonus on top of it). If someone wants to do an in-game trade to make levelling up faster, they have to trade a pokemon they caught after the challenge started. (technically I guess that's covered in the rule that you can only use pokemon acquired after the challenge starts, but just in case. And on that note, perhaps an "exception" to allow using existing pokemon to help level up?)
                Old July 27th, 2017 (2:03 AM).

Quote:
                Perhaps an additional rule could be that you can't use an existing pokemon to do an in-game trade (since I think most, if not all, in-game trades give you a pokemon of the same level - so in theory someone could "cheat" by trading a previously levelled pokemon, and then get the exp bonus on top of it). If someone wants to do an in-game trade to make levelling up faster, they have to trade a pokemon they caught after the challenge started. (technically I guess that's covered in the rule that you can only use pokemon acquired after the challenge starts, but just in case. And on that note, perhaps an "exception" to allow using existing pokemon to help level up?)
                That's a good point. But problem is that it's really hard to control these things. Maybe forbid Pokemon with NPC's OT...
                Old July 27th, 2017 (1:54 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Janp View Post
                  That's a good point. But problem is that it's really hard to control these things. Maybe forbid Pokemon with NPC's OT...
                  Yeah but, at the end of the day, if someone wants to cheat, they're gonna cheat. My thinking is that the rules are there to clarify what is and is not allowed, and try to keep the playing field as level as possible for those that do want to attempt the challenge legitimately, rather than trying to "control" anything. There's nothing stopping anyone from hacking in a lvl 100 pokemon, taking a screenshot, and passing it off as legitimate, so I say we don't worry about it and just hope that people treat it as a fun event rather than get competitive about it to the point that they feel the need to cheat.
                  Old July 27th, 2017 (11:33 PM).

Quote:
                  Yeah but, at the end of the day, if someone wants to cheat, they're gonna cheat. My thinking is that the rules are there to clarify what is and is not allowed, and try to keep the playing field as level as possible for those that do want to attempt the challenge legitimately, rather than trying to "control" anything. There's nothing stopping anyone from hacking in a lvl 100 pokemon, taking a screenshot, and passing it off as legitimate, so I say we don't worry about it and just hope that people treat it as a fun event rather than get competitive about it to the point that they feel the need to cheat.
                  Okay :)

So, will you create thread, when it's time?
                  Old July 28th, 2017 (2:40 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Janp View Post
                    Okay :)

So, will you create thread, when it's time?
                    Sure :)

Shall I post it at the end of the day on Jul 31? If we wait until Aug first, it won't go up until fairly late in the day since I work until 5.
                    Old July 28th, 2017 (4:01 PM).

Quote:
                    Sure :)

Shall I post it at the end of the day on Jul 31? If we wait until Aug first, it won't go up until fairly late in the day since I work until 5.
                    I vote post it on the 31st.

Quick Reply