• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can the champions compete in other leagues?

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Just been wondering this after a while of reading some fanfics, where sometimes the protagonist is a champion in multiple regions.

Now what I'd like to know is if they, the champions are even allowed to participate in other regions leagues. And if so, could they then be champion of that region as well, and then take responsibility over it or would they allow the last champion to be the guardian of the region?

It's an interesting topic the more I think about it. Lance is a champion of both Jhoto and Kanto, but they both have only one league, which is combined between the two regions. Could he then become a champion of even more, or would he have to release his title of Kanto and Jhoto champion? Because if this was the case, then one person would have the responsibilities of all the regions, and protect them, which is practically impossible with so many crime groups.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Just been wondering this after a while of reading some fanfics, where sometimes the protagonist is a champion in multiple regions.

Now what I'd like to know is if they, the champions are even allowed to participate in other regions leagues. And if so, could they then be champion of that region as well, and then take responsibility over it or would they allow the last champion to be the guardian of the region?

It's an interesting topic the more I think about it. Lance is a champion of both Jhoto and Kanto, but they both have only one league, which is combined between the two regions. Could he then become a champion of even more, or would he have to release his title of Kanto and Jhoto champion? Because if this was the case, then one person would have the responsibilities of all the regions, and protect them, which is practically impossible with so many crime groups.

To be fair, Kanto and Johto sharing a league is only in the games, as the Silver Conference did appear to be Johto's League.

As far as the topic, I don't see why not. After all, Ash challenged multiple leagues despite technically being the champion of one league: The Orange Islands League. If he could do it, I'm pretty sure the others can.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
Wouldn't he have to protect his title though, I know it's not an official league, but I still think that the league happens more than once, or am I wrong here?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Wouldn't he have to protect his title though, I know it's not an official league, but I still think that the league happens more than once, or am I wrong here?

Orange Islands consists of 4 Gym Leaders(Cissy, Danny, Rudy and Luana). Successfully defeating those 4 Gym Leaders grants you the right to challenge Supreme Gym Leader Drake in a 6v6. Successfully defeat him and you earn your mark in the Orange Island HOF(named as the Palace of Victory with the photo and foot impressions of Trainer and all participating Pokemon). Ash is merely one of a number of "Champions" and didn't take Drake's place. In Kanto, for example, had Ash won the Indigo League, he'd have the honor of challenging the Elite 4 and Champion of Kanto(which would have been Lance). Had he successfully completed that, he'd be the Champion or #1 Trainer in Kanto.

Being the #1 Trainer in Kanto means he'd have to take on all Challengers but it would not prevent him from pursuing other Leagues. A good question to ask ourselves is that once you become Champion of a Region, does that automatically qualify you to enter any other League without having to defeat their Region's Gym Leaders?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Sure. But it's no cake walk. They have to fight other champs. I don't think champions have much responsibility either, it's more of a title.

A good question to ask ourselves is that once you become Champion of a Region, does that automatically qualify you to enter any other League without having to defeat their Region's Gym Leaders?

Being a champion is just a title so I doubt they have special privileges. Besides they can just sweep the gyms anyways.

Back