Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

TrollandToad.com

Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:37 PM). Edited 3 Weeks Ago by Rangi.

Nature: Careful
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    What is the reasoning behind changing Brass Tower to Gong Tower? So that it corresponds to Bell Tower better? In that case, why not keep Tin Tower?
    In Japanese, スズのとう suzu no tō could translate to 錫 "tin" or 鈴 "bell". GSC used the former translation, but HGSS corrected it. (This interview with translator Nob Ogasawara (via) mentions other Gen 1+2 translation issues.)

The Burned Tower's original name was only mentioned in Crystal, so HGSS did not update it. かねのとう kane no tō could translate to "brass" (lit. "copper", "metal", "gold") or "gong". Given that shōrō, Buddhist bell towers, are a real thing, whereas tin or brass towers make no sense, I've corrected this translation. (3.0 will also have a couple other translation updates, inspired by that interview.)

Relevant Advertising!

Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:41 AM).
    Johto Champion

Nature: Quiet
      Pokémon Polished Crystal is amazing! You're doing things I've never thought possible. Are you planning on adding Brendan or May from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald as a cameo, since they moved to Hoenn from Johto? Keep up the good work!
      Old 2 Weeks Ago (8:24 PM).
      Victory! Means Others Destruction!!

Nature: Modest
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by sonic65101 View Post
        Pokémon Polished Crystal is amazing! You're doing things I've never thought possible. Are you planning on adding Brendan or May from Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald as a cameo, since they moved to Hoenn from Johto? Keep up the good work!
        It is a good idea, but chronologically speaking it is not possible, because the story of Brendan and May in Pokemon Ruby/Saphire occurs simultaneously to the beginning of Red's adventure during 1 Gen, so it happened three years before the events of Crystal version
        Old 2 Weeks Ago (4:47 PM).

Just finished the game!! Thank you so much, I enjoyed playing through the Johto and Kanto regions with added difficulty, pokemons, moves, typings, trainers!! I could go on lol :). Only bug I encountered so far was in the PC Box when I tried to get the Surfing Pikachu. Since I had caught the other 2 types of Pikachu during the same time, the Pikachu's in the same box all had the same sprite while I was browsing. Just a minor/graphical bug as when I previewed the stats the correct sprite showed up.
          Old 2 Weeks Ago (1:47 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by papacitoloko111789 View Post
            Just finished the game!! Thank you so much, I enjoyed playing through the Johto and Kanto regions with added difficulty, pokemons, moves, typings, trainers!! I could go on lol . Only bug I encountered so far was in the PC Box when I tried to get the Surfing Pikachu. Since I had caught the other 2 types of Pikachu during the same time, the Pikachu's in the same box all had the same sprite while I was browsing. Just a minor/graphical bug as when I previewed the stats the correct sprite showed up.
            That's awesome but I can't seem to beat the E4 the first time. I can't find anywhere to grind my beauties to at least level 50 so I will stand something of a chance.
            Old 2 Weeks Ago (7:10 PM).

Have you tried grinding on the route towards the e4? I remember seeing Rapidash in the morning and Noctowl at night, and outside the Cianwood Gym there is like a safari zone in a cave, if you get to the patch of grass in that area there are Tauros and Miltank which are worth a good amount of EXP. I beat the e4 at around lvl 55 the first time. I used Typhlosion, Surfing Pikachu, Scizor, Donphan, Ursaring, and Azumarill. The Play Rough on both Ursaring and Azumarill were life savers in the end.
              Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:57 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by uchihamadada View Post
                It is a good idea, but chronologically speaking it is not possible, because the story of Brendan and May in Pokemon Ruby/Saphire occurs simultaneously to the beginning of Red's adventure during 1 Gen, so it happened three years before the events of Crystal version
                They could always come back to Johto, but it would be pointless for 3.0 since they wouldn't have any Hoenn Pokemon. I am not sure what they could do other than battling.
                Old 2 Weeks Ago (1:05 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by papacitoloko111789 View Post
                  Have you tried grinding on the route towards the e4? I remember seeing Rapidash in the morning and Noctowl at night, and outside the Cianwood Gym there is like a safari zone in a cave, if you get to the patch of grass in that area there are Tauros and Miltank which are worth a good amount of EXP. I beat the e4 at around lvl 55 the first time. I used Typhlosion, Surfing Pikachu, Scizor, Donphan, Ursaring, and Azumarill. The Play Rough on both Ursaring and Azumarill were life savers in the end.
                  Thanks for the help! I may have to do more grinding before I challenge Lance again.
                  Old 2 Weeks Ago (2:31 PM).

Nature: Hasty
                    Hi there again! I just want to ask about the ROM compatibility with real hardware via flashcard with either RTC support or without it, as I remember that some graphical updates generate problems in emulators like bgb so, is the issue addressed?

Thanks a lot!
                    Old 2 Weeks Ago (2:42 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by blaziken662 View Post
                      Hi there again! I just want to ask about the ROM compatibility with real hardware via flashcard with either RTC support or without it, as I remember that some graphical updates generate problems in emulators like bgb so, is the issue addressed?

Thanks a lot!
                      I've seen people playing it on a 3DS, and presumably GBC flash cartridges work too. If you don't have RTC support there's the no-RTC build with an in-game clock.
                      Old 2 Weeks Ago (7:15 AM).

I just downloaded this last night and I am already loving it! Crystal was my favourite Pokemon game growing up, and playing through it again with all the new features is going to be so much fun!

I also discovered something while trading with vanilla Crystal - if the Pokemon on vanilla is holding a Great Ball, the item turns into a Master Ball on this new version! (Trade back and forth for an hour for extra Master Balls, am I right?) I then read on the thread that some of the items have been moved around so this oddity now makes complete sense! Other than held items sometimes not matching up, provided you visit the Name Rater and rename the Pokemon so their names aren't all in caps I haven't found any problems trading with vanilla GSC (yet! I'm not very far into the game so I still need to experiment with this.)

Anyways, great job Rangi for making this!! It's gonna be awesome to go back to this game again!
                        Old 2 Weeks Ago (7:23 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by AceTrainerMisty View Post
                          I just downloaded this last night and I am already loving it! Crystal was my favourite Pokemon game growing up, and playing through it again with all the new features is going to be so much fun!

I also discovered something while trading with vanilla Crystal - if the Pokemon on vanilla is holding a Great Ball, the item turns into a Master Ball on this new version! (Trade back and forth for an hour for extra Master Balls, am I right?) I then read on the thread that some of the items have been moved around so this oddity now makes complete sense! Other than held items sometimes not matching up, provided you visit the Name Rater and rename the Pokemon so their names aren't all in caps I haven't found any problems trading with vanilla GSC (yet! I'm not very far into the game so I still need to experiment with this.)

Anyways, great job Rangi for making this!! It's gonna be awesome to go back to this game again!
                          Cool, I'm glad you like it! Crystal would be my favorite too; I started with Gold, and then Crystal added little enhancements here and there that just made the whole game better.

3.0 is going to break trading with the vanilla games—I don't know if it will be glitchy or just not work—because the Pokémon data structure is much closer to the modern one. Six IVs, EVs instead of stat experience (albeit with no 510 EV limit), a personality value that determines things like shininess and gender, even tracking what Ball it was captured in. Oh, and abilities. Of course, you'll still be able to trade between two copies of PC 3.0.
                          Old 2 Weeks Ago (4:31 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by altierer.

Hey, great hack you have there! I'm loving it!

Just few things tho, I checked the FAQ and the Level-up moves and a few moves were off:

Gligar didn't learn Acrobatics at 22;
                            Typhlosion didn't learn Flamethrower at 46;
                            Misdreavous didn't learn Dazzlinglean when it evolved.

Edit: Forgot to mention I loved Wondertrade!! Used and abused lol.
                            Old 1 Week Ago (7:16 PM).

Nature: Hasty
                              Hi there! I complied the last repository with the non-RTC command and I can confirm the game works in the ElCheapoSD flash cart from BennVenn!

BTW, did you change Explosion and Selfdesturct to don't halve the defender's defense before applying damage? I think that mechanic made said moves a lot less relevant in the current official metagame than it should. I would like to suggest to leave the defense halving mechanism intact to take full advantage of them.

Thanks a lot for your effort!
                              Old 1 Week Ago (4:35 AM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Rangi View Post
                                Cool, I'm glad you like it! Crystal would be my favorite too; I started with Gold, and then Crystal added little enhancements here and there that just made the whole game better.

3.0 is going to break trading with the vanilla games—I don't know if it will be glitchy or just not work—because the Pokémon data structure is much closer to the modern one. Six IVs, EVs instead of stat experience (albeit with no 510 EV limit), a personality value that determines things like shininess and gender, even tracking what Ball it was captured in. Oh, and abilities. Of course, you'll still be able to trade between two copies of PC 3.0.
                                I'm looking forward to the update! I already found my first shiny (Jigglypuff on Route 34) and got a Sneasel through Wonder Trade. I have encountered a small thing - Psychic is listed as a Status move in its description, though the move appears to work normally as it should.

Will saves on this version be compatible when 3.0 comes out?
                                Old 1 Week Ago (5:06 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Unown Lord.

I'm getting my butt kicked by the Elite Four (specifically Karen, but the others took their toll). Has anyone else found them too hard? My Pokemon are in the 47-48 level range. I assume that all of the opposing Pokemon have perfect EVs.

Also, a list of TMs and their locations would be nice. Right now I need to know where I can find the Calm Mind TM (assuming there is one, and that it's hopefully not saved for Kanto).
                                  Old 1 Week Ago (8:17 PM).

Nature: Calm
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
                                    Also, a list of TMs and their locations would be nice. Right now I need to know where I can find the Calm Mind TM (assuming there is one, and that it's hopefully not saved for Kanto).
                                    TM list with locations here.
                                    Old 1 Week Ago (8:35 PM).

Thanks. I had a hunch that it wasn't in Johto...
                                      Old 1 Week Ago (2:18 PM).

Nature: Adamant
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by AceTrainerMisty View Post
                                        Will saves on this version be compatible when 3.0 comes out?
                                        The answer is literally several posts above yours. No, 3.0 will break saves. I know people can't be expected to read through an entire thread, but please try not to spam this question.
                                        Old 1 Week Ago (6:51 PM).

Nature: Mild
                                          Hey Rangi, love the hack, since you're planning on replacing Fury Cutter as a reward for bugsy, have you thought of making softboiled into a tm and letting roost users learn it? i mean, birds lay eggs, right? that way falkner gets closer to giving his HGSS rewards.
                                          Old 1 Week Ago (7:31 PM).

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Ochoa View Post
                                            Hey Rangi, love the hack, since you're planning on replacing Fury Cutter as a reward for bugsy, have you thought of making softboiled into a tm and letting roost users learn it? i mean, birds lay eggs, right? that way falkner gets closer to giving his HGSS rewards.
                                            Roost itself exists (replaced Metal Sound). Falkner gives it to you.
                                            Old 1 Week Ago (8:09 AM).
                                            Team Haxorus Leader
                                            • Silver Tier

Nature: Serious
                                            Rangi,

This is an incredible feat. You are a genius. =)

Petuuuhhh

Name: Valkna
                                            Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                                            Old 1 Week Ago (11:08 AM).
                                            Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quiet
                                              When will you make it so we can do B down to make Pokeballs breaking without catching the Pokemon be harder to do?

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
                                              Old 1 Week Ago (9:32 AM).
                                              Togetic the Airbending Hufflepuff

Nature: Naive
                                                wow. just wow!
                                                truly love it, but...
                                                why delete all these pokes from the game? =/ only reason i can think of is not enough space, but please do tell me why. thanks for all of this amazing work anyway though =)
                                                PS: also it's really freaking awesome you added togekiss, i've searched my ass off for a crystal redo that had it, and first i find is <-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> this awesome lol
                                                Old 1 Week Ago (10:07 AM).
                                                HeroesAndCons HeroesAndCons is offline

Will there be an update to change to the Gen 6+ EXP system? Where pokemon switched in gain full EXP rather than shared?

It's just that I know you won't be adding the Gen 6+ EXP Share and with the old EXP system as it is, levelling up is just incredibly tedious.

Quick Reply