Ruby Ridiculous Ruby

Started by ChiefKeef May 23rd, 2014 2:11 PM
  • 16 replies
Male
Seen October 17th, 2016
Posted October 17th, 2016
22 posts
5.5 Years
Well, what's new with this Ruby hack? Lots of things. There are over 70 new Gen 4, 5, and 6 Pokemon in the game (and maybe more on the way). There is a new rival as well as all new Gym Leaders and Elite 4. Of course there are also new encounters, new maps, new sprites, trades, gift Pokemon, events, trainers, funny text, etc. This is meant to be a new, fun, yet moderately challenging experience.

There won't be any new moves or the phys/spec split because man ♥♥♥♥ that ♥♥♥♥.

The starter trio is Turtwig, Torchic, and Squirtle.

New Pokemon and what they replace
Spoiler:
Note: there will be some enemy-trainer-exclusive Pokemon added but you won't have to worry about them until very late in the game. The Pokemon below are roughly ordered by type of the Pokemon being removed.

Hoothoot line - Rufflet line
Pidgey line - Starly line
Sentret line - Glameow line
Jigglypuff line - Lillipup line
Ditto - Ambipom
Lickitung - Magnezone
Snubbull line and Mr. Mime - Goomy line

Weedle line - Venipede line
Surskit line - Dwebble line
Venonat line - Skorupi line
Shuckle - Durant
Ledyba line - Pancham line
Spinarak line - Phantump line

Absol - Spiritomb
Sneasel - Honchkrow

Plusle and Minun - Joltik line
Mareep line - Shinx line

Meditite line - Riolu line
Hitmonchan/lee/top and Tyrogue - Mienfoo and Scraggy lines

Slugma line - Frillish line
Torkoal - Heatmor
Vulpix line - Pansear line

Togepi line - Drifloon line
Yanma - Sigilyph

Shuppet line - Golett line
Misdreavus - Dusknoir

Hoppip line - Sewaddle line
Paras line - Pansage line
Tangela - Carnivine
Chikorita line - Turtwig line
Roselia - Cryogonal
Sunkern line - Electivire and Magmortar

Gligar and Delibird - Hippopotas line
Swinub line - Drilbur line

Snorunt line - Cubchoo line

Spoink line - Elgyem line

Sudowoodo - Rhyperior

Nosepass, Omanyte, and Omastar - Garchomp line
Kabuto and Kabutops - Panpour line

BST and type changes to Pokemon
Spoiler:
There aren't many changes to BSTs, and these are mostly just to balance out Pokemon that are hurt by the lack of a physical/special split.
Shinx, Luxio, and Luxray all have -10 in Attack and +10 to Special Attack.

Scraggy now has -5 in Defense and Special Defense but +10 in Special Attack
Scrafty now has -15 in Defense and Special Defense but +35 in Special Attack

Pangoro now has +5 to Special Attack

Trevenant now has +10 to Special Attack

There aren't many changes to types either.
Luxray is now Electric/Dark

Beartic is now Ice/Fighting

Evolution Changes
Spoiler:
Pichu to Pikachu at level 15
Cleffa to Clefairy at level 15

Kadabra to Alakazam at level 36
Graveler to Golem at level 38
Haunter to Gengar at level 40
Machoke to Machamp at level 42

Onix to Steelix at level 34

Poliwhirl to Politoed with Sun Stone

Slowpoke to Slowking with Sun Stone

Seadra to Kingdra at level 48

Scyther to Scizor at level 37

Porygon to Porygon2 at level 30

Feebas to Milotic at level 20

Clamperl to Huntail at level 20 (high personality)
Clamperl to Gorebyss at level 20 (low personality)

Eevee to Espeon with Sun Stone
Eevee to Umbreon with Moon Stone

Magneton to Magnezone at level 45
Glameow to Purugly at level 30
Aipom to Ambipom at level 32
Murkrow to Honchkrow with Moon Stone
Dusclops to Dusknoir with Moon Stone
Rhydon to Rhyperior at level 52
Electabuzz to Electivire at level 46
Magmar to Magmortar at level 46

Mienfoo to Mienshao at level 44
Rufflet to Braviary at level 34

Pancham to Pangoro at level 32
Phantump to Trevenant at level 42
Goomy to Sliggoo at level 30
Sliggoo to Goodra at level 50

Furthermore, all Pokemon that evolve via stone will learn moves at the same (or a similar) pace to its pre-evolved form, so there's no real penalty for using an evolutionary stone early. Like, some Pokemon won't learn all the moves that their pre-evolved forms can, but they might still learn the important/good moves at a similar pace. In almost all cases, it's best to evolve Pokemon as soon as possible.

Changes to gifts/trades/interactions

Spoiler:
Gifts:
A familiar face in Fallarbor will offer you one of my favorite Pokemon lines
The Pokemon Egg in Lavaridge now hatches into a Pokemon that can do many more things than Wynaut ever could
At the weather institute, you get a new Pokemon that has an affinity with weather
The fossil Pokemon you choose will come at a higher level

Trades:
The kid in Rustboro will still want a Slakoth, but you'll get a very different Fighting-Type Pokemon in return
The basketball fan in Fortree will ask for a Pokemon related to the Miami heat and will give you his MVP rival in return
The lady in Pacifidlog will offer one of the most powerful Pokemon in exchange for one of the most common Pokemon

Interactable Pokemon:
So far, I've only added 1 interactable Pokemon on Route 119. I'm not sure if there will be more added.

Gym Leaders and Elite Four

Spoiler:
Here are the Gym Leaders, their types, TMs, and the level of their ace Pokemon.

Damien, Dark, Thief - 17
Brooke, Water, Water Pulse - 20
Ivy, Poison, Toxic - 27
Robin, Flying, Aerial Ace - 33
Steele, Steel, Iron Tail - 35
Antonio, Bug, Flamethrower - 42
Terrance, Ground, Earthquake - 50
Buffy, Ghost, Shadow Ball - 55

Elite Four
Fighting - 57
Water - 58
Dragon - 59
Steel/Psychic - 60
??? - 62

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Notes

Spoiler:
- No Physical/Special split. Sorry.
- Once Surf is obtained, the intended order of progression is Route 105 through 109 (plus Route 115, New Mauville, and Abandoned Ship) -> Route 118 through 123 (including Weather Institute) -> Fortree Gym -> Mt. Pyre -> Lilycove Rival and Magma Hideout. I know this may not be the progression that most people do, but this is what I usually did.
- Name for the hack is not 100% certain, so don't be too surprised if I change it.
- Some moves have been edited to their power/accuracy in future generations. However, I'm stupid and forgot to record them so I don't know all of them. I know Outrage, Leaf Blade, and Giga Drain were edited. I don't know if that's all I changed or if I changed more. Sorry.
- There are some Pokemon whose RSE sprites I think are just awful in comparison to their FRLG sprites. They have been updated with their FRLG counterparts.
- There will be a few added NPCs who will sell TMs. As of right now, the only one is found in the Abandoned Ship and he just sells the original Gym Leader TMs that were not replaced in the game. Furthermore, evolutionary stones are purchasable in a new area and I will add someone who sells Heart Scales right before the Elite Four.
- Many new Pokemon get notable egg/tutor moves via Heart Scale now.

Bugs/Problems

Spoiler:
- Dex entries are unedited and will most likely remain that way. That does mean that Low Kick damage might not be exactly what it should be for some Pokemon, but that shouldn't be a big issue.
- I am a lazy hacker so while Norman and his sprite are being replaced, the text between he and Wally is still there at the beginning of the game. Just ignore it. The new leader's name is Steele and he's not supposed to be your father.
- Egg groups haven't been edited, so if you want to breed babies it's gonna be really ♥♥♥♥ed up. Also, Ambipom is in Ditto's slot now so it should serve the same function in breeding.
- Because Gen 6 Pokemon were added later, it is possible that some wild Pokemon and Trainers' Pokemon were altered because of it. So if you see any Gen 6 Pokemon before Gym 5 or so, please let me know. For example, if a Bug Catcher has Phantump or Pangoro or something like that please report it to me.
- Trick House is completely unedited.

Version 1 of Ridiculous Ruby!

Credits

Spoiler:
Wiznatts, Chaos Rush, PsychoToxin, and anyone else who made 64x64 Pokemon and trainer sprites
Advance Series
UNLZ
A-Starter
A-Map
Move Editor
Trader Advanced
NSE
XSE
YAPE

AmazingCharizard

Pokemon Rocket Strike creator

Male
High above you
Seen 5 Days Ago
Posted May 21st, 2019
318 posts
7.3 Years
This hack sure looks interesting. It reminds me a bit of my own lol ^^^
Although I don't like Ruby's graphics(PLEASE CHANGE THEM) I might give it a go!
But I'm not quite sure so is there going be a major change in the story?
Good luck with this project(which I'd almost overlooked because of the thread title :D )
Check out my hack "Pokemon Rocket Strike" http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319844

How to patch a rom:
1.Download the patch. If it is in a .zip file then use a free tool named WinRar to unzip the file.
2.Use Google to find the rom you need.
3.PATCH THAT THING AND LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!
Male
Seen October 17th, 2016
22 posts
5.5 Years
Thank you.

Speaking of the graphics, I just made a very minor update that changed a few Pokemon and trainer sprites. For editing more graphical stuff, I probably won't go much farther than changing some sprites so don't expect any new tiles, fonts, or anything like that.

The essential plot and progression of the game is pretty much the same as the original. I suppose the biggest change to the story that I've made is the new rival, but I don't think that really affects things too much. For the most part, I'm barely touching key events such as those involving Team Magma.
Male
Seen October 17th, 2016
22 posts
5.5 Years
Next beta is up! This goes up through the Fortree Gym. Remember, once Surf is obtained, the intended order of progression is Route 105 through 109 (plus Route 115, New Mauville, and Abandoned Ship) -> Route 118 through 123 (including Weather Institute) -> Fortree Gym -> Mt. Pyre -> Lilycove Rival and Magma Hideout. So keep this in mind when playing so that you don't go to unedited areas or go unprepared for certain trainers. The Safari Zone is edited too, and each of the areas correspond with a certain type/theme. There have also been some more edits to sprites, including the new rival (who now has a phenomenal sprite, if I do say so myself).

Download link is here! - Enjoy. Opinions, feedback, and thoughts while playing are very much appreciated.
Male
Seen October 17th, 2016
22 posts
5.5 Years
I'm proud to announce that the game is now complete up through Mossdeep Gym! Hopefully, the infamous Hoenn sea is now more enjoyable since I've updated encounters and replaced many of the Water-type whoring trainers (Swimmers and Fisherman) with trainers who use lots of different types of Pokemon (such as Experts), and there's even a storm by Pacifidlog for those of you who like weather changes. I think the Magma Hideout is now a bit more interesting as well with some added trainers. There have been a few more sprite updates and, as usual, more ridiculous NPCs.

Before facing the Mossdeep Gym, I recommend doing as much of the sea as you can. The Gym can be a big level jump if you don't grind, and if you fight most of the sea trainers, your team might even have a comfortable level advantage. His ace is 50, so keep that in mind. He's also a Single Battle, so keep that in mind as well. You shouldn't need to hunt down every single Trainer to stay on the level curve, but if you fight about 75-90% of them you should be right on track.

Download link!
Male
Seen October 17th, 2016
22 posts
5.5 Years
So unless I psyducked something up (if I did, please tell me so I can fix it), Version 1 of Ridiculous Ruby is now complete! It's totally playable to the champion battle (who you cannot rematch, don't ask why, but either way it doesn't really matter since nobody should be redoing the E4 anyway)! I didn't touch Sky Pillar, but if people want postgame content I suppose I can make something there in the next version. Tbh, this should have come out months ago but I was lazy. I don't know what to say, I'm still kinda shocked that I have finally finished this. But, enjoy! And as always, I love to know what you think; do you like it, love it, hate it, have a question, comment, anything please don't be shy, I love feedback.

These are the types of the Elite Four and the levels of their aces.
Spoiler:

Fighting - 57
Water - 58
Dragon - 59
Steel/Psychic - 60
??? - 62

IN CASE YOU MISSED THE DOWNLOAD LINK

Espurr_Kawaii

Pokemon Trainer Coordinator

Female
Hoenn Region(Littleroot Town)
Seen January 13th, 2017
Posted September 10th, 2016
151 posts
4.9 Years
Im already finish play this version, yesterday :D and its difficult (especially the elite four & the champion) well, in the end~ i beat them all with my strategy ^_^ btw , any added/ changes this version about legendary ? or will the same in ruby ? :)
♥ Art & Designer♥
♥ Anime Fanatics ♥

♥ Pokemon Contest Challenger♥
♥ Water & Psychic Trainer ♥

DizzyEgg

Age 22
Male
Poland
Seen 23 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
788 posts
5.8 Years
Why,exactly?I don't see anything wrong with that,even if I don't like the ROM Base.
Amount of resources available for Emerald and Fire Red is not comparable to that for Ruby. Both Emerald and Fire Red are thoroughly researched, while Ruby isn't. What's even more is that Ruby is just a poorer version of Emerald. Look at that poor attempt of a hack. No physical/special split, no expansion, no new evolution methods which all are available for FR/EM. If someone knows what they're doing, fine, have fun reinventing the wheel. But let's not kid ourselves, most Ruby hacks are just muk. The only reason to hack Ruby is its disassembly that's being worked on. But as I said it requires you to actually know what you're doing.
Male
Seen October 17th, 2016
22 posts
5.5 Years
I have no idea why this thread is suddenly getting comments lmao it's a pretty silly hack.

Look at that poor attempt of a hack. No physical/special split, no expansion, no new evolution methods which all are available for FR/EM. If someone knows what they're doing, fine, have fun reinventing the wheel. But let's not kid ourselves, most Ruby hacks are just ****.
I'm not disagreeing with you that it's better to just hack Emerald or Fire Red, but this hack started before phys/spec split even existed. The reason most newer things like Fairy-type, phys/spec split, new moves, etc aren't in this game is because again a lot of work was done before each of those were a thing and I didn't want to, as you say, reinvent the wheel and redo a lot of progress I had made on the hack in order to implement them. If you only want to play hacks that have all this stuff implemented I'm not gonna stop you. But although this hack was finished in 2015 this isn't a 2015 hack (it began like 3+ years before), so I feel it's pretty rude to call this a "poor attempt of a hack".
Advertiser Content