• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

Years
How about a Port to RPG Maker MV?
Not exactly as fast as possible, but taking that in consideration for the future would be really cool.

I don't think Essentials itself is going to be ported to RMMV. From what I hear, the VX Ace port is barely Essentials anymore, and MV uses an entirely different coding language.

Now, there may be an Essentials-like starter kit in MV eventually created, but Maruno won't be the one doing it and it likely won't be called Essentials.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
I have a suggestion for debugging, not sure how feasible it is though.

When searching for Pokémon (for things like putting together a regional dex, setting encounters, setting trainer pokémon, etc) as well as having a list if we could have a search bar so we can type the name and search for the pokemon it could save a lot of time and boredom of going through the list or editing the text file manually.

Years
Here's a simple suggestion:

Remove the remnants of "MAXLEVEL" and replace it with a function instead.

This will let people have custom level restrictions over one static restriction.

Also, while we're at it, it'd be beneficial to add an argument to PBExperience functions that defines the pokemon we're calculating experience on.

Again, this is so people can customize level restrictions.

Overall, it was a 5 minute implementation for me. But I'm kind of surprised that something like this still hasn't been added especially considering how useful it is in some situations.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I have a suggestion when it comes to fixes to a new version, i.e. 16.1, 16.2, 16.3 etc... With each new code you add to fix things or create definitions etc add the version to the end:
Code:
  def pbHasItem?(item)[COLOR=Red] # 16.1[/COLOR]
    return pbQuantity(item)>0
  end
Code:
dispqty=(pbIsImportantItem?(item)) ? 1 : qty[COLOR=Red] # 16.1[/COLOR]
I don't see why it would be a problem to add this... This is merely a programmers suggestion and I feel a valid request.

Years
Here's a simple suggestion:

Remove the remnants of "MAXLEVEL" and replace it with a function instead.

This will let people have custom level restrictions over one static restriction.

Also, while we're at it, it'd be beneficial to add an argument to PBExperience functions that defines the pokemon we're calculating experience on.

Again, this is so people can customize level restrictions.

Overall, it was a 5 minute implementation for me. But I'm kind of surprised that something like this still hasn't been added especially considering how useful it is in some situations.

You can change constants with this method if you need them to be dynamic. You can technically already change them. It will throw a warning at you, but won't break the game. This script eliminates that warning though.

Code:
#Redefine Constants (used for changing Settings)
class Object

def redef_without_warning(const, value)
    mod = self.is_a?(Module) ? self : self.class
    mod.send(:remove_const, const) if mod.const_defined?(const)
    mod.const_set(const, value)
  end

end

Years
You can change constants with this method if you need them to be dynamic. You can technically already change them. It will throw a warning at you, but won't break the game. This script eliminates that warning though.

Code:
#Redefine Constants (used for changing Settings)
class Object

def redef_without_warning(const, value)
    mod = self.is_a?(Module) ? self : self.class
    mod.send(:remove_const, const) if mod.const_defined?(const)
    mod.const_set(const, value)
  end

end

Because this is an inconvenient way to do things. This only allows me to set the level cap manually. Whereas a function that passes the given pokemon is more flexible. When you define it manually you cannot determine a Pokemon's max level based off of Pokemon specific things such as species and form. (Unless you want to make things more complicated in the end than the suggestion I proposed)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Online Server like Markz88 :). Yea yea, I'm one of those guys.

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
Years
I would like suggest an improvement in the "Scroll Map" Option. You have lot's of animations like that in almost every game (In this Youtube Link we can see some examples.).

So the default option RPG Maker limits the camera's movement by one axis at a time, and doesn't move diagonally, as you can see in the example above, that there is an animation that does that.

sharzin

the biggest iranian pokemon fan
Years
1- have a full pack of hg/ss musics ready to use (yea im a dumb and lazy guy)
2- have some of really needed scripts already existed so i dont get stupid errors (like following script)
3- ability to have mid-battle text/conversation
4- a pokestar studio thing

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
This isn't the thread for that kind of question (or, for that matter, any questions).

Pokébook1

Marene
Years
Maruno, sorry for being late for my Suggestions.
I have thought about that and sorry for not reading all pages of this Thread, (If I repeat some Suggestions, then tell me that per pm, so I can edit this post) but here it goes:

Stuff's l like that Essentials would have, without Original games having them.
What I mean is that I would like that Essentials would have some Features, that GameFreak games don't have it, like:
- Pokémon can hold 2 Items at the same time.
- A feature that can let you add and change the Contest-Style (1-6th gen) on RMXP.
- More Bug fixings (their more important)

My Wishlist for Essentials *_*
- The playable character can sit on chairs, like XY, but you can put it off/on in the Settings if you like.

- The Player can have 2 Bikes and you can add and change the Effect of the Key Items and have the playable character have rollerskates and riding on Pokémon (the last one could be difficult, but that can be in another Essentials version)

- Pokémon Editor (you can search Pokémon Names by clicking in the Keyboard CTRL + F and typing the name of Pokémon you search (that would be Awesome).

- Pokémon Editor (A feature where you can Add a new playable character and/or add a new outfit of your choice, that would be great. For example: You click on "Add new Player/Outfit" » then a question appears: Do you want to add a new Player or a new Outfit for the Players? » then you can choose: "Add new Player" or "Add new Outfit".

» If you choose Add new Player, they will tell you what to do in order to have a new playable character.

» If you choose Add new Outfit, they will tell you what to do in order to have a new Outfit for your playable Character. I know how to do both of them, but these Features could become famous and useful to new Users and Beginners of Essentials.

I will be thinking of more Suggestions I can tell, but I think this one are sufficient for now.

Maruno

Years
- A feature that can let you add and change the Contest-Style (1-6th gen) on RMXP.
It's a bit pointless to change the contest style if there are no contests in Essentials. Plus Gens 1, 2 and 5 didn't have contests.

- More Bug fixings (their more important)
What an utterly pointless statement. There are always bugs that need fixing, and you haven't mentioned any in particular so what am I supposed to look at? If you have specific bugs that need fixing, report them elsewhere, not in this thread.

- Pokémon Editor (A feature where you can Add a new playable character and/or add a new outfit of your choice, that would be great. For example: You click on "Add new Player/Outfit" » then a question appears: Do you want to add a new Player or a new Outfit for the Players? » then you can choose: "Add new Player" or "Add new Outfit".

» If you choose Add new Player, they will tell you what to do in order to have a new playable character.

» If you choose Add new Outfit, they will tell you what to do in order to have a new Outfit for your playable Character. I know how to do both of them, but these Features could become famous and useful to new Users and Beginners of Essentials.
Player outfits are nothing more than an extra set of charsets/sprites. There's nothing to define. See the wiki for information. The game absolutely doesn't need to talk about how to make them.

You can already define new player characters. You can have up to 8 of them, of which 2 are defined by default. See the Metadata.

Pokébook1

Marene
Years
It's a bit pointless to change the contest style if there are no contests in Essentials. Plus Gens 1, 2 and 5 didn't have contests.

I thought there were Contests but I couldn't find out how to do that. So Instead of that you could make Contests, from Gen 3.

What an utterly pointless statement. There are always bugs that need fixing, and you haven't mentioned any in particular so what am I supposed to look at? If you have specific bugs that need fixing, report them elsewhere, not in this thread.

I wasn't supposed to post them in this thread, was like posting that they are important to fix and of course I had not mentioned any of them because I do not know what Bugs they are. If I find some I report that elsewhere.

Player outfits are nothing more than an extra set of charsets/sprites. There's nothing to define. See the wiki for information. The game absolutely doesn't need to talk about how to make them.

I know how to do that, but there are many people that doesn't know it. So it would be a help for them, if that would be in the Editor, but doesn't need that either.

You can already define new player characters. You can have up to 8 of them, of which 2 are defined by default. See the Metadata.

I had seen the entire Wiki right before I installed Essentials, because I wanted to know everything what I can make, so I read everything what I could read and read the Metadata too. Also read other Tutorial pages in the Internet and videos of them. And how I said above, it was just a Suggestion that this could be a great help for people that read and can not understand (with no offense dummies) or beginners.

I'm sorry if you don't like my Suggestions, I can not figure out why you did no answer to my other Suggestions:
- Pokémon can hold 2 Items (that would be so awesome and useful)
So for example a Meowth that can Pickup can hold things and hold another Item that you can give him/her.

- Playable Character Sit on chairs/bed (like XY)
I know you don't like to make Essentials in XY. But you already did that, because in the Settings we can choose if our Pokémon can receive extra experience points after we catch a Pokémon.

- Playable Character can ride on Pokémon and can have roller skates.

- Contest (You can Add the Contests /PokéBLOCK to Pokémon Essentials)

Regrets

Maruno

Years
I wasn't supposed to post them in this thread, was like posting that they are important to fix and of course I had not mentioned any of them because I do not know what Bugs they are. If I find some I report that elsewhere.
"Making the game work properly" really ought to be too obvious to mention.

I know how to do that, but there are many people that doesn't know it. So it would be a help for them, if that would be in the Editor, but doesn't need that either.
There is no way the Editor could edit any outfits, because they're all graphics files. Why put something in the Editor that can't be edited?

The wiki is for all instructions, and if someone doesn't want to read that, then that's their business. Essentials comes with a link to the wiki, so not knowing about the wiki is not an excuse.

I can not figure out why you did no answer to my other Suggestions:
I had nothing to say about your other suggestions. I'm not obliged to comment on every single idea people throw around. But if you insist...

- Pokémon can hold 2 Items (that would be so awesome and useful)
Nope, stupid idea, wouldn't be used by anyone. If you want to make Pickup immediately add its items to the Bag, then you go right ahead - that's not how the official games do it, therefore that's not how Essentials does it.

- Playable Character Sit on chairs/bed (like XY)
How dull. Pokémon games are about adventuring, not sitting around. This adds nothing to a game, and is not worth my consideration.

- Playable Character can ride on Pokémon and can have roller skates.
There's already an example of this in the scripts: the bicycle. Copy how that works if you want to add more methods of transportation.

- Contest (You can Add the Contests /PokéBLOCK to Pokémon Essentials)
That's an add-on, not something I feel belongs in Essentials. Indeed, someone has already made that add-on.

Pokébook1

Marene
Years
"Making the game work properly" really ought to be too obvious to mention.

There is no way the Editor could edit any outfits, because they're all graphics files. Why put something in the Editor that can't be edited?

The wiki is for all instructions, and if someone doesn't want to read that, then that's their business. Essentials comes with a link to the wiki, so not knowing about the wiki is not an excuse.

I had nothing to say about your other suggestions. I'm not obliged to comment on every single idea people throw around. But if you insist...

Nope, stupid idea, wouldn't be used by anyone. If you want to make Pickup immediately add its items to the Bag, then you go right ahead - that's not how the official games do it, therefore that's not how Essentials does it.

How dull. Pokémon games are about adventuring, not sitting around. This adds nothing to a game, and is not worth my consideration.

There's already an example of this in the scripts: the bicycle. Copy how that works if you want to add more methods of transportation.

That's an add-on, not something I feel belongs in Essentials. Indeed, someone has already made that add-on.

Oh my Goodness! At the beginning as I heard that you made Essentials I thought you were nice, but now you proved the opposite. As you said some words that are a little offensive to me: "Making the game work properly (I didn't say that) really out to be too obvious to mention. stupid idea, wouldn't be use by anyone. How dull. Not worth."

It's kinda strange but the first time we talked you seem to disagree all the time to everything what I say, I used to give you PBS files for your new version and you didn't want them. You disagree with me all the time. I did not know about that with the Pickup that you can put the items to the bag.

what's wrong? I love XY, I don't have a 3ds and want really make a game 3rd gen style with all features of XY. Ok I know you are not obliged to help me or to make that "stupid" ideas I gave you.

So I think I'll delete my account here on this Forum, and I will register me in another Forum where peoples are nice to me where the rules are better than here. (post just at the same day/week/month not 1-or more months later than the last post - stupid rule) It must be another Community with english People, because my game will be "Unfortunately" in english =(
I wanted it in German.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Edit 19:12 I think I stay here, as I know there are still many people out there that are really nice. And Maruno I am not lazy, I am the opposite of lazy! I work everyday at my game.

Have a nice day Sir.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
Oh my Goodness! At the beginning as I heard that you made Essentials I thought you were nice, but now you proved the opposite. As you said some words that are a little offensive to me: "Making the game work properly (I didn't say that) really out to be too obvious to mention. stupid idea, wouldn't be use by anyone. How dull. Not worth."
I do not try to be rude. I know I can be blunt at times, but I certainly don't try to offend.

My answers come from the perspective of the developer of Pokémon Essentials, which, as its name suggests, is for the basics of what is needed to make a Pokémon game. Frills and unnecessary features are, at best, low priority, and more often than not are simply excluded for being niche or vague or not worth adding. What is "worth" adding? Well, frankly, that's up to me, because I'm the only one working on Essentials (everyone is free to volunteer, but they don't because it's Someone Else's Problem). And I expressed my thoughts on the suggestions you gave, because you apparently wanted me to - I originally didn't want to, remember, but you prompted me into it.

Please note that the suggestions you gave aren't your original ideas. Other people have thought of them before, and suggested them before, and I've responded similarly before. Any distaste I show is towards the ideas, not to the people suggesting them. I welcome all ideas, but that is of course not the same as accepting them all. My time is finite, and I don't want to spend it on things which I think will be of minimal use (such as being able to sit on chairs).

"Making the game work properly (I didn't say that)" really out to be too obvious to mention.
A bug in a game is an instance of the game not working properly. By definition, fixing bugs means making the game work (more) properly. As I said before, this is a general statement that doesn't help with anything, because it doesn't highlight one particular thing that needs fixing. If I said "my car doesn't work properly", how useful is that statement? Which part of it doesn't work? Is there just one aspect that's broken somehow, or multiple issues? How are these things broken, and how should they work instead? There's nothing to go on, no piece of information which tells me what I should be looking at.

Really, the whole point of me working on Essentials at all is to make it better. I'm not going to purposely make it worse, am I? Making improvements and fixing bugs is the very core of my presence here, so if there's one thing that doesn't need to be suggested to me, it's to make improvements and fix bugs, particularly if you say it in such a general way as you did. It does go without saying.

I did not know about that with the Pickup that you can put the items to the bag.
You would be quite easily able to edit the code to make this happen. As I said, though, Essentials tries to mimic the official games, so Pickup works like it does in the official games, i.e. the picked-up items become held items. I just gave you a suggestion of how you could adapt the ability to work more like the example you gave (wanting Pokémon holding an item to still be able to pick up items).

Spoiler:
I know the wiki isn't up to date or complete. It's a big task. Everyone is free to update it, but no one does, either through laziness or assuming someone else will do it or because they don't know about the subject. Again, my time and attention are finite, and if I'm having to do it all myself, of course it's going to be slow progress. If you have suggestions for how the wiki can be improved (specific suggestions, please, not sweeping statements like "make it more user-friendly"), please do share them.

Essentials and the wiki are not intended to be used by complete newbies, which I think is reasonable. Anyone using them will be making a game, and that requires dedication and imagination and skills. You need to know how to use RMXP, for one - the wiki isn't going to explain that kind of thing. The wiki is also not going to describe in detail every single possible thing you could do with it, because that's an infinite amount of possibility and it'd just be ridiculous to expect that. No, it can explain the basics, and occasionally give the reader ideas of things they could customise, but if someone wants some outlandishly original feature, they ought to figure it out for themselves - they have imagination and dedication, and they should know how tough making a game can be, so they can either learn and achieve for themselves or they can compromise.

And Maruno I am not lazy, I am the opposite of lazy! I work everyday at my game.
I never said or implied you were lazy.

This is getting off-topic now. If you have something further to say, please do talk to me in PMs about it.

tymime

Action Gamemaster
Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
If and when walking with Pokémon is added (I know you've said it's low-priority), I think it would be nice if there was an option to use either HG/SS-style or Yellow-style- i.e. either the Pokémon on top or only your starter.
Hopefully that wouldn't make an already complex feature even more complicated.

Back